Trade Deadline Recap: Final thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ceege. Show Ceege's posts

Re: Trade Deadline Recap: Final thoughts

In Response to Re: Trade Deadline Recap: Final thoughts:
    Ceege - The only garbage is your post. We traded for the depth that we need. Who cares what their combined plus/minus was? It's not like the Islanders or Minnesota have many plus players to begin with.n Response to Re: Trade Deadline Recap: Final thoughts :
    Posted by mxt

Interesting so replacing Horton (probably out for the year), Peverley (out till playoffs), and Boychuck (possibly out with a concussion) with these 3 helps the Bruins how?

Rolston was on waivers last week.....could have had him for nothing.  Zanon, well he is a shot blocker, wonderful.  An Mottau a throw in with Rolston, what does that tell you.  

My point is simple if we don't get healthy we are done.  We won the Cup last year because we stayed healthy and the moves Chiarelli made added depth.  These moves are fill ins in case we remain shorthanded.  I would rather see them call up the kids in providence.  If you are not ready to get rid of them see what they got.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Garbage..............We needed secondary scoring and traded for 3 guys who are -23 combined......Hope we get healthy.
    Posted by Ceege

Dude. Anyone that plays for the Islanders will or would be -23 if not worse. I think the B's could have done better. Yet I am happy with what they got. All 3 plauers are free agents at seasons end, so we lose nothing. We got Depth. Something we needed. The B's might also get lucky witl some waiver pick up. Just never know. But to complain about players that are -23, that played for bottom teams, its kind of wack.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

My bottom line is they acquired some much needed depth and didn't do anything stupid.
    They didn't overpay for anyone (e.g. Oduya, a UFA, for a 2nd & a 3rd? Nuts!)
    They didn't give up any current starters
    They didn't give up any good prospects
    They didn't take on any bad contracts
    They didn't bring in any divers or rats (e.g. the rumored Ott deal)

This was about as good as we could have hoped for given the market.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Excellent moves considering what was available. Rolston will be great! he always had good wheels and a great shot. Rolston is also a player that can do everything. faceoffs. penatly killer, powerplay. perfect for Juluian........WELCOME BACK ROLSTON!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ceege. Show Ceege's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Deadline Recap: Final thoughts : Dude. Anyone that plays for the Islanders will or would be -23 if not worse. I think the B's could have done better. Yet I am happy with what they got. All 3 plauers are free agents at seasons end, so we lose nothing. We got Depth. Something we needed. The B's might also get lucky witl some waiver pick up. Just never know. But to complain about players that are -23, that played for bottom teams, its kind of wack.
    Posted by PAULICAS1975

I understand the Islanders suck.   What I meant was that the Bruins could have done better.  I understand they we missing 2 picks from last years deadline.  I still believe that seeing other moves we could have done better than this.  That all.  Believe me if Rolston and crew brings us to the Cup then great.  But you have to admit this team with the injuries is missing some pieces that were not replaced today....they are missing too much and depth is not enough this year.

I hope i am wrong but these moves don't excite me...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wboi92287. Show wboi92287's posts

capgeek CapGeek The # Bruins ate up close to $7.8m in annualized cap space with the Rolston, Mottau and Zanon acquisitions. # TradeCentre
    Posted by asmaha

Wow, $5,650,000 cap hit for Brian Rolston. 5 goals and 4 assists and getting 5million, pfffft what a waste

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Deadline Recap: Final thoughts : Interesting so replacing Horton (probably out for the year), Peverley (out till playoffs), and Boychuck (possibly out with a concussion) with these 3 helps the Bruins how? Rolston was on waivers last week.....could have had him for nothing.  Zanon, well he is a shot blocker, wonderful.  An Mottau a throw in with Rolston, what does that tell you.   My point is simple if we don't get healthy we are done.  We won the Cup last year because we stayed healthy and the moves Chiarelli made added depth.  These moves are fill ins in case we remain shorthanded.  I would rather see them call up the kids in providence.  If you are not ready to get rid of them see what they got.
    Posted by Ceege

You aren't going to replace Horton, Peverley and Boychuk - not at the deadline.  Your call-ups are brutal or not experienced enough to be trusted with more than 10 min of playing time in February, so you're not going to rely on them in April.  But having these guys means that you have more options and more veterans who can play key minutes without hurting you.  I would agree re: giving the kids more of a shot, but this is a defending cup champion and can't assume those kids will be able to handle the roles they'd need to assume.  These are prudent moves.  I think you'll be satisfied by what all three bring once you see the impact shoring up little cracks can have on a really solid foundation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ceege. Show Ceege's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Deadline Recap: Final thoughts : You aren't going to replace Horton, Peverley and Boychuk - not at the deadline.  Your call-ups are brutal or not experienced enough to be trusted with more than 10 min of playing time in February, so you're not going to rely on them in April.  But having these guys means that you have more options and more veterans who can play key minutes without hurting you.  I would agree re: giving the kids more of a shot, but this is a defending cup champion and can't assume those kids will be able to handle the roles they'd need to assume.  These are prudent moves.  I think you'll be satisfied by what all three bring once you see the impact shoring up little cracks can have on a really solid foundation.
    Posted by Bookboy007

OK I see your point and I hope they do work out.  Maybe this is the only move we could make...fair enough.  I am just saying I expected them to do more because right now we need it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Let's give PC a lot of credit here. He is also concerned with chemistry and talent and he picks guys that will fit in quickly. We know Rolston will fit in very quickly and has the veteran expereince to share. I don't know much about Mattou but Zanon is selfless player and that will be an upgrade from Corvo in my opinon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Well, it seems like this is indeed it.
    So, thoughts:

Zanon:  Sounds like a good depth pickup, and a good fit.  I feel much better both about Boychuk and the potential for further D injuries with him on the roster.  I didn't feel like Kampfer was going to succeed in Boston, so I don't mind seeing him go.

Rolston:  I loved him when he was a Bruin.  Seems like forever ago, though.  Probably because it was.  For the time being, he'll take Peverley's PP point spot, so that has to help.  He has the potential to add a lot of positives to the team, but could end up a spare part.

Mottau:  Warm body?  Better than giving Hnidy a call, I think.  Cost just about as much.

Overall:  Tiny risk, decent reward moves.  I like the injury protection on defense.  Their current forwards will have to pick up their games to be where they should be, as far as scoring goes.  Unless Sauve is a revelation, of course :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Trade Deadline Recap: Final thoughts:
    Instead of 12 threads on Zanon.... Bs get: Zanon for Kampfer Rolston and Mottau for prospects Not too shabby. Your thoughts?
    Posted by asmaha

I mentioned this in the Mottau/Rolston thread, but Rolston can try to be a Recchi type where he adds veteran leadership and can add in minutes on the PK and PP.

I know he's lost some with age, but he was pretty productive in NJ the last few years.  Slap him with Lucic and Kreicji for now get him into the system. 

Zanon is a shot blocker, steady D guy who will push Corvo and McQuaid, and Mottau is like a Shane Hnidy type.  The fact is, the team needs Peverley badly, because I don't think Horton will be back.

Marchand Bergeron Seguin
    Lucic Kreicji Rolston
    Pouliot Kelly Caron (this line will look better once Peverley returns and you can put Rolston down here)
    Paille Campbell Thornton

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Deadline Recap: Final thoughts : Wow, $5,650,000 cap hit for Brian Rolston. 5 goals and 4 assists and getting 5million, pfffft what a waste
    Posted by wboi92287

I don't mean to be rude, but the season is more than half over, which means that 5.6 is more than half paid out.  Please learn basic mathematics before graduating high school.

Thanks.

PS Go look at Rolston's numbers when playing with worthwhile players in NJ the previous few seasons.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The Bs management gets kudos from this fan. Oh yes the charm of getting more solid players on right wing and defense would have been more pleasing given the cap space.  But as Walk the Line stated not much was given up.  Spooner, Knight, Hamilton, Rask, et al. are also intact.  I sincerely hope Horton and Peverly can make it back in the playoffs.  I always remember how some posters did not like the Kelly and Peverly deals, Kaberle was my mulligan.  Ended up being a contributing factor to winning the Cup.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

Meh... I like the Rollie deal, especally for his cannon on the PP, but the 2 D don't have me atwitter...

We do need D depth, but Zanon, the "warrior," per his agent who makes his living off salary level, doesn't have me excited... Erskine or someone else with some edge would have been better, IMO....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

The B's did a fine job this deadline.  The true biggest acquisitions are yet to come when the trade Carter Camper and Hennesey to Providence for Peverley and Horton.  The only team that will trump that is Pittsburgh when Crosby comes back.  Let's face it... the B's would have had to give something very substantial to replace Horton anyway.  Now they can just hope he comes back to have another run at the Cup.  By keeping the corp together and not mortgaging the future, the B's will have just as good a shot at the Cup as any of the other contenders. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Ceege - agreed, right now, they could sure use a first line winger and #3 or #4 D.  But that's right now.  Hopefully, when it matters, they'll have the players back.

I look at it like this.  You buy a car.  Sometimes, you find yourself in a situation where you didn't bring your car but boy, life would be a lot better if you could just drive from point a to point b.  In this situation, you don't go buy a new car.  You might rent one, or better yet, you take a cab.  Or the bus.  In this analogy, the bus would be calling up Riendeau and Cantin - it'd take you closer to where you need to go, but chances are you're still walking for a chunk of the journey.  They upgraded to taking a cab - it smells a little funky, you don't want to know why the floor is sticky, but it should get you where you want to go.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Meh... I like the Rollie deal, especally for his cannon on the PP, but the 2 D don't have me atwitter... We do need D depth, but Zanon, the "warrior," per his agent who makes his living off salary level, doesn't have me excited... Erskine or someone else with some edge would have been better, IMO....  
    Posted by Griswal65

Unless the Caps wanted more for Erskine being in the same conference and being a playoff team along with the B's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I'll also jump in with a bit more, as my reason for starting the thread quickly was so we didn't have to track 10 different conversations all about the same thing.

Rolston is a solid 3rd line guy, which isn't a waste at all when you consider the Camper-Hennessey-Caron line that was out there last game. Adding him means you can play guys like Pouliot and Kelly perhaps in a more traditional role until Peverly comes back...and especially after he comes back. Pevs is the key here. If he can make it at close to his normal, that's the guy who rides on the Krejci line to replace Horton, which means Rolston adds some savvy on the 3rd with Kelly and Julien's choice of Caron/Pouliot.

We're talking depth, and I like the options much more now than I did this time yesterday.

As for D, it could get very, very interesting. Someone will have to be odd-man out, and it's clear the Bruins weren't happy with their options. Zenon sounds like the more reliable of the two new guys, so he'll be pushing Corvo. I'm excited about how this can help reunite Chara and Seids. The only thing holding that back, in my mind, was Seids was needed to support a shaky Corvo. With Zanon, depending on how quickly he picks up the assignments, that might not be needed. Zanon could ride with McQuaid as a rough-and-tumble 3rd pairing, leaving the top 4 the same as it was during last year's playoff push.

Good work all around, I believe. Either way, it'll be exciting to see the new guys, especially since we don't have to feel torn that they must live up to what was lost to get them. Hopefully they get some big cheers at the Garden.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Excellent moves considering what was available. Rolston will be great! he always had good wheels and a great shot. Rolston is also a player that can do everything. faceoffs. penatly killer, powerplay. perfect for Juluian........WELCOME BACK ROLSTON!
    Posted by riptide757

Someone's been watching the 2002 Rolston game tapes.

Psssst: It's 2012. He's not very good.

I hear Rick Middleton is a free agent, too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

SoxfanInIL, do you watch alot of the Isles games. If so what does Rolston not do now?  He had a concussion early this year.  He plays for the Isles.  He is older. And his numbers are not good this year.  So, what have you seen?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

I'll also jump in with a bit more, as my reason for starting the thread quickly was so we didn't have to track 10 different conversations all about the same thing. Rolston is a solid 3rd line guy, which isn't a waste at all when you consider the Camper-Hennessey-Caron line that was out there last game. Adding him means you can play guys like Pouliot and Kelly perhaps in a more traditional role until Peverly comes back...and especially after he comes back. Pevs is the key here. If he can make it at close to his normal, that's the guy who rides on the Krejci line to replace Horton, which means Rolston adds some savvy on the 3rd with Kelly and Julien's choice of Caron/Pouliot. We're talking depth, and I like the options much more now than I did this time yesterday. As for D, it could get very, very interesting. Someone will have to be odd-man out, and it's clear the Bruins weren't happy with their options. Zenon sounds like the more reliable of the two new guys, so he'll be pushing Corvo. I'm excited about how this can help reunite Chara and Seids. The only thing holding that back, in my mind, was Seids was needed to support a shaky Corvo. With Zanon, depending on how quickly he picks up the assignments, that might not be needed. Zanon could ride with McQuaid as a rough-and-tumble 3rd pairing, leaving the top 4 the same as it was during last year's playoff push. Good work all around, I believe. Either way, it'll be exciting to see the new guys, especially since we don't have to feel torn that they must live up to what was lost to get them. Hopefully they get some big cheers at the Garden.
    Posted by asmaha

I don't think Zanon plays rough and tumble as we see it in Boston... word is that he is a bit cheap, runs his mouth and never backs it up... Not sure how your MO can be wrecking ball hitter and you never have to back it up... Darius K can attest to that all too well. One factor that made this team successful last year was the integrity of the players. They were all stand up guys. We saw Pev slugging out in the playoffs, Bergy not backing down from Burrows, Sieds throwing down etc... Zanon's fibre doesn't strike me as consistent with this.... I guess we'll see. I just hope he doesn't turtle if LaPierre or his ilk comes at him a la Carmbomb incident a couple of years ago....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Just an out of town thought since I'll be meeting up with quite a few mutant Ranger fans tomorrow. Could this kid John Scott have caught PC's attention? 6'7'' 270 lbs. Rangers got him for nothing. Potential pylon but imagine him out there with Chara. As if Sather needed any more muscle on this team. Bottom line -- I prefer the Rangers didn't get him.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Seems to me, all the fun went out of Tradedeadline, when the Cap came in. It just hasn't being the same !

Sections
Shortcuts