Trade for attitude

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Trade for attitude

Since salary cap moves are likely very soon I'd like to see the Bruins trade for someone who can instill the desire to win because after last year and now these last 5 or so games this team just doesn't have what it takes mentally to go all the way.

People point out coaching and player mistakes and suggest trades for talent but personally I think they have the talent and good coachng. What has killed them since game 1 in Prague (and most of last season)  is unpreparedness, lackluster intensity and no consistency.

Does anyone remember when the Caps acquired Dale hunter and how he helped turn that team around with his win or die trying attitude? that's what the B's lack and it doesn't develop in time. It's just in the heart. Any suggestions who could help in that area? I always thought they should have grabbed Gary Roberts a few years ago when he still had something left.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruin1972. Show Bruin1972's posts

Re: Trade for attitude

In Response to Trade for attitude:
    [QUOTE]Since salary cap moves are likely very soon I'd like to see the Bruins trade for someone who can instill the desire to win because after last year and now these last 5 or so games this team just doesn't have what it takes mentally to go all the way. People point out coaching and player mistakes and suggest trades for talent but personally I think they have the talent and good coachng. What has killed them since game 1 in Prague (and most of last season)  is unpreparedness, lackluster intensity and no consistency. Does anyone remember when the Caps acquired Dale hunter and how he helped turn that team around with his win or die trying attitude? that's what the B's lack and it doesn't develop in time. It's just in the heart. Any suggestions who could help in that area? I always thought they should have grabbed Gary Roberts a few years ago when he still had something left.
    Posted by niftybear[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruin1972. Show Bruin1972's posts

In Response to Trade for attitude:
    [QUOTE]Since salary cap moves are likely very soon I'd like to see the Bruins trade for someone who can instill the desire to win because after last year and now these last 5 or so games this team just doesn't have what it takes mentally to go all the way. People point out coaching and player mistakes and suggest trades for talent but personally I think they have the talent and good coachng. What has killed them since game 1 in Prague (and most of last season)  is unpreparedness, lackluster intensity and no consistency. Does anyone remember when the Caps acquired Dale hunter and how he helped turn that team around with his win or die trying attitude? that's what the B's lack and it doesn't develop in time. It's just in the heart. Any suggestions who could help in that area? I always thought they should have grabbed Gary Roberts a few years ago when he still had something left.

Agree with everything you say, and would add that Ramsey knew how to beat the Bruins system; Bruins did nothing to switch strategy to confuse the ex-bruins coach.
    Does this team really believe in the system they are being required to play, especially when they are getting beat by teams who employ a more offensive system. Just a question.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 54BLITZER. Show 54BLITZER's posts

DUDE, ALL OF WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IS CAUSED BY BAD COACHING!!!
    WHAT YOU SAID IS LISTED BELOW.  CLEARLY TIME FOR CLAUDE TO GO!!!

NIFTYBEAR
    What has killed them since game 1 in Prague (and most of last season)  is unpreparedness, lackluster intensity and no consistency.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I'm calling for DrCC,  didn't you say that even with Savvy back in the lineup Bruins don't need to move anyone to fit under the cap ?  Only when Sturm returns do the Bruins have to shed cap space.
    I read in the Globe (paper) an article this weekend from Fluto that when Savvy returns they need to move about 4m in salary.
    Now Nifty on what you're saying, I don't think the Bruins are looking for another character guy ,  they're head strong on finding an offensive d-man, with the good ol' "puck moving" skillset (getting tired of hearing this). 
    On that note I don't see how that is possible with moving only one player with a 4m+ salary cap . To add this elusive offensive D they have to trade away another asset or two to make cap room .
    I doubt it a d-man of this kind will come with no cap hit. Unless PC has a crystal ball and there's a prospect (small cap hit) around that has not lived up to his expectation but becoming a Bruin will be his break out ? Doubt that. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Blizer, their lackluster play is not because the coach hasn't prepared them. they need to be prepared in their own minds for that intensity level. The coach can only do so much. It has to be in their hearts to not accept losing or less than 100 pct effort and it's not there regularly.

Legion, I agree they need a skilled defenseman but I doubt it will solve their effort problems and that is exactly what is killing them.

B72, yep Ramsey knew how to deal with them but when they finally woke up (too late) they were all over ATL, system or not. It was their lack of effort again that lost them another one.

Too bad Aaron Ward is retired. He was just what is needed in that locker room.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Trade for attitude:
    [QUOTE]Blizer, their lackluster play is not because the coach hasn't prepared them. they need to be prepared in their own minds for that intensity level. The coach can only do so much. It has to be in their hearts to not accept losing or less than 100 pct effort and it's not there regularly. Legion, I agree they need a skilled defenseman but I doubt it will solve their effort problems and that is exactly what is killing them. B72, yep Ramsey knew how to deal with them but when they finally woke up (too late) they were all over ATL, system or not. It was their lack of effort again that lost them another one. Too bad Aaron Ward is retired. He was just what is needed in that locker room.

Once "the move" is made and there is a consistent player base and 4 real centers then the effort will come. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]I'm calling for DrCC ,  didn't you say that even with Savvy back in the lineup Bruins don't need to move anyone to fit under the cap ?  Only when Sturm returns do the Bruins have to shed cap space. I read in the Globe (paper) an article this weekend from Fluto that when Savvy returns they need to move about 4m in salary. [/QUOTE]
    It was true before Marchand and Caron made the team.  Right now, the team is effectively over the cap by $4.6M (I say effectively because the call-ups/demotions have altered the actual numbers, but the end result only depends on the players currently on the roster).  With Sturm on LTIR, the Bruins could exceed the cap by his $3.5M cap hit.  I interpret this to mean the the Bruins need to shed $1.1M to fit Savard in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade for attitude : It was true before Marchand and Caron made the team.  Right now, the team is effectively over the cap by $4.6M (I say effectively because the call-ups/demotions have altered the actual numbers, but the end result only depends on the players currently on the roster).  With Sturm on LTIR, the Bruins could exceed the cap by his $3.5M cap hit.  I interpret this to mean the the Bruins need to shed $1.1M to fit Savard in.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Thanks DrCC.  Kind of makes sense but so freakin' confusing  as some of the so called hockey experts don't interpret it this way.  Basically they don't look at the LTIR for Sturm and don't see how the Bruins can go over by 3.5M due to this situation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Call up Mcgratton. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

Yeah it's all very confusing, I'd say more than half of the articles I read that talk about the Bruins cap situation are wrong.  DrCC has it right though, ~1.1M for Savard, which can be accomplished without a trade.  If you are interested in seeing the numbers, I posted them online. I have not yet updated it to include Arniel, he will most likely be sent back down soon anyways.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

I really hate to say this, but forget the cap, forget the "attitude", and even the coaching (which annoys me at times)...the plain and simple fact is that once again, the Bruins as currently constructed just do not have the TALENT to compete with the league's best (Wash., Pitt., Detr., etc.), the up-and-coming (St. Louis, Atlanta, Tampa Bay), and will do well just to make the playoffs.*

*Please don't cite me the "big wins" against Wash. and Pitt. in the first couple of months of the season. The Islanders got off to a heckuva start, too. Over time the wheat gets separated from the chaff and we're seeing that now.

If--and it's a HUGE IF--Savard can come back and be the player he was before the Cooke cheap shot, they may improve, but c'mon, folks. Did you or did you not watch the past 2 games against a team they should have beat (Car.), and a team that is constructed of what the Bruins SHOULD BE (Atlanta).

Here's what I saw: a slow, indecisive defense that makes tentative passes out of their own end, or bad decisions (Chara lugging the puck when he should pass), for example...absolutely zero offensive puck-carrying from the blue line to join the offensive rush (while Dustin B. ripped thru the Bruins D as a counterpart); an offense that is limited in imagination and forechecking ability for lack of speed, and a guy who may one day be a star hampered by being paired w/lesser players like Paille and Thornton (that one's on the coach--if there's ever a time to let Seguin off the leash, it's now.)

But for too long the Bruins have gotten by on stellar goaltending and the one thing their defense does do well: play the Julien box "prevent" system. That works up to a point; then other teams that have real talent (a la Stamkos and the TB offense, hard forechecking teams like the Flyers, and teams built w./speed like Montreal) exploit those weaknesses and the goalies start to become human.

I saw in that Atlanta team a team i WISH the Bruins were built like--young, fast, hungry, tough, and with talent on every line, and especially crisp, smart, fast-puck-moving defensemen that can get out of their own zone in a hurry. The Bruins right now are a one-line team at best (Horton, Krejci, Lucic), and a lot of wanna-be's that would barely fill out 3rd or 4th lines on other teams (Ryder, Wheeler, Paiile, Marchand). As always, I feel for Bergy, who deserves better.

you can bring up tough guys like McGratten and fire the coach or hope Savvy makes everything magically better, but the sad true fact is that this team just doesn't have the horses to go deep in the playoffs, or, based on what we've seen the last 2 games, even make them.

I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Two solid goalies, a good defense, forwards who can make plays (Krejci, Savard, Bergeron), hit, (Lucic) and score (Horton, Ryder) they have the talent. They are not the 1985 Oilers but when they put in 100 pct they can beat any of those teams mentioned above. The real problem is: they rarely make a 100 pct effort. If TB, MTL anf PHIL put in the same effort as Boston game in game out they'd be out of the playoff picture. Sorry, but I disagree.

Sections
Shortcuts