Trade Potential...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from POWERSURGE. Show POWERSURGE's posts

Trade Potential...

The Edmonton Oilers were always in dire need of a centreman...  Now that Horcoff could be out; they could use a:  Wheeler maybe?   They need good PK players too.
    Get a draft pick from them; could work for the B's.  Caron easily replaces Wheeler on the 3rd line..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: Trade Potential...

Not a bad idea depending on if 1. The B's could get a draft pick. 2. What draft pick. While I know that Edmonton will finish in the top 3 of the worst teams I don't know if I would take a 3rd rounder or higher for Wheeler. He is good for 20 goals a year. What will that 3rd rounder (or higher) do for the B's? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Lowe has already said they'd entertain trades but will not trade away any picks. At all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

i would trade Blake wheeler for Joe B. and the versus crew at this point. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from POWERSURGE. Show POWERSURGE's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Potential...:
    Lowe has already said they'd entertain trades but will not trade away any picks. At all.
    Posted by red75

That was before tonight. Horcoff is out, Oilers lose. They are desperate for a centerman..  If I was Chiarelli, I would call Kevin Lowe tonight and say 2nd rounder for Wheeler straight up..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Potential... : That was before tonight. Horcoff is out, Oilers lose. They are desperate for a centerman..  If I was Chiarelli, I would call Kevin Lowe tonight and say 2nd rounder for Wheeler straight up..
    Posted by POWERSURGE

And Kevin Lowe would say, "DONE DEAL".

Bad trade for Boston.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from POWERSURGE. Show POWERSURGE's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Potential... : And Kevin Lowe would say, "DONE DEAL". Bad trade for Boston.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Bad trade??  Possibly a top 10 second rounder and you could keep Sturm  ( with Paille to the minors.. )   Wheeler has shown more skill at the center position than wing this year, but the Bruins don't need any more centres....
    Bring in Caron again and you replace Wheeler with a similar player, with more potential.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

second rounder is too little. maybe a 2012 first or two seconds...if Paille can be attached to the deal the value is diminished, but opens the cap a bit...

I also meant to say that I don't think he should be traded...he is still young and showing improvement this year...he has a great wing-span and disrupts other team's breakouts...solid defensive player. Taking the body more this year too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Players like Wheels are a dime a dozen so don't expect too much for him.

If you want quality you have to trade quality. trade away a position where the B's are strong and get back a player to strengthen a weaker position.

Boston has 2 excellent goalies and 5 very  good centers. Excluding Lucic , Horton , and Seguin  Our wingers are  not on anyone's must have list so other teams won't offer up much for them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Players like Wheeler, apparently, are $26.4 milliion a dozen.

If you're talking a second rounder, odds of getting a 20 goal scorer who can also kill penalties - with no bets taken on whether he takes the body or not - in the second round are less than 30%.  Seven times out of ten, you make that deal to dish Wheeler for a pick in the 30s you will lose.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Wheeler is doing fine, damn you guys dont see the real problem. Just like everyone else who is struggling on this team is just not playing on a fixed line.
    He is not a one man show, he cant do it alone, the old saying your only as good as you play with kicks in here. But ill tell you this, on the PK him with any center is excellent. and a huge threat for a shorthanded goal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Wheeler is one of the best defensive forwards on the team. He's not the best offensive threat but he is a top player in the neutral zone and the defensive zone. The problem is he seems to forget what to do once he gets to the blue line.

People focus on his shortfalls in the offensive zone but he's really one of the main reasons why we have such a great defensive team. Wheels can chase down the majority of breakouts with his good speed and prevent a lot of odd man rushes. He uses his size and speed in the defensive zone but doesn't know how to do it offensively, I think he's just overthinking it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I have to admit Wheeler has been more effective of player this year.  He still can not protect the puck or check exclusing stick checks.  He is on a one year contract and his name is bantered about in clearing cap space.  Right now he is better than Campbell, too bad the Sturm trade did not happen.  Wheeler is not the problem. Trade Campbell and Paille to Edmonton if you will once Sturm or Ryder cap decisions have been made.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Wheeler for a 2nd round draft pick?? But why.. 

I thought the attractiveness of trading Wheeler was to package him to get the PMD you want as nobody wants Ryder/Sturm. That is for more than a 3-5rd draft pick.

I actually have liked wheelers play alot this year. I think some people just get fixated on a player and only ever notice what they mess up. Blake is one of the best forecheckers on the B's right now, and like you said he covers the transition defense really well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Id actually like to try Seguin on the Wheeler-Bergeron-Recchi line.

Wheeler-Bergeron-Seguin all 3 are deceptively fast. Wheeler made a few good passes last night that Bergeron couldnt finish ( and vice-versa) I think seguin could have buried those chances.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Wheeler for a 2nd round draft pick?? But why..  I thought the attractiveness of trading Wheeler was to package him to get the PMD you want as nobody wants Ryder/Sturm. That is for more than a 3-5rd draft pick. I actually have liked wheelers play alot this year. I think some people just get fixated on a player and only ever notice what they mess up. Blake is one of the best forecheckers on the B's right now, and like you said he covers the transition defense really well.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

The checking comment I made above was not detailed, I should have said taking the player or hitting.  Not sure I would say the best forechecker but certainly more capable than Campbell if one is talking centers.  On wing Wheeler is fine with his speed but he by no means is he good at digging for pucks in the corners.  He is a good third liner overall.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=1e84081912cad573cc3b7b0af0695bfd&plckUserId=1e84081912cad573cc3b7b0af0695bfd"> Red75, is she giving the "Italian Salute". I like it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I will personally keep Wheels, and not to worry about the other team injuries. If they are in dire strait they will be making the phone calls and e mails to bst. not the other way around. PC will listen to the offers our Bruins are healthy knock on wood. As for Sturm if and when his rehab is complete and medical is a pass, LA will be talking to PC to complete the original trade. Boston has no choice they need to trade Sturm to make cap space. Now that Sturm waive his NTC other teams are looking for vet player like Sturm.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from guy0677. Show guy0677's posts

I agree with the sentiments about Wheeler.  Typically, a guy with Wheeler's tools are the best that you would do in the 2nd round.  Are there exceptions?  Of course, but trading him seems silly.  He's one of the few economical contracts the Bruins have at his level of production.  He kills penalties and is good on defense.  His offensive play is better than his production right now and the cliche is that it will come...hopefully, it will. 

I think the real trade opportunity is in goal.  Two big questions here...Despite his play, is there even a market for Thomas at his outrageous contract?  Also, do they believe this team can compete for a cup with Thomas this season? 

I, personally, think they need to play for the next 2-3 years and trade Thomas for whatever they can get for him that clears cap space.  If you believe in Rask, Caron, Colbourne, Knight, etc...then they need those $ for the defense.  So, this may not be popular considering he's on a Vezina track, but TRADE TIM THOMAS!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

You have got to be freaking kidding me.

I thought after a .95+ and 1.50 GAA that people would stop saying trade thomas. But I guess not...

Trade Thomas the Bruins fall like a rock in the standings fact.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

You have got to be freaking kidding me. I thought after a .95+ and 1.50 GAA that people would stop saying trade thomas. But I guess not... Trade Thomas the Bruins fall like a rock in the standings fact.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

I don't mean to be picky but your opinion doesn't equal fact.You could be right about the future of the Bruins minus TT but on the same note,he's cleary Boston's most valuable/tradeable chip right now(and by no means am I suggesting they should trade him.I've been a strong supporter of our 2 goalie system for awhile now).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=1e84081912cad573cc3b7b0af0695bfd&plckUserId=1e84081912cad573cc3b7b0af0695bfd " />  Red75, is she giving the "Italian Salute". I like it.
    Posted by Wheatskins

Heh.. could be ;)

It's actually an edit of the old Rosie the Riveter poster from WWII. The  poster is used by a full contact women's league in California. Thought it was a pretty cool and appropriate image.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

You have got to be freaking kidding me. I thought after a .95+ and 1.50 GAA that people would stop saying trade thomas. But I guess not... Trade Thomas the Bruins fall like a rock in the standings fact.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

Trading Thomas is the perfect solution.  You move an obscene contract and probably get too much back because you are selling high.  2 years ago when he was hot I said trade him while his value was high.  The following year he fell off the table and they spent the summer not being able to give him away.  Now his hot start makes people believe he's worth something again... and everyone will continue to ooh and ah over overplayed saves and ignore goals from behind the net like last night.  However, like last year, once the bad games start coming back, you wont be able to trade him for a six pack of Diet Coke again.

In the event this management want to commit to the Flopper for the next couple years, they might as well trade Rask.  This is revolting watching this potential franchise goaltender get rustier and lose his confidence and completely rot away on the bench forever.  Lets trade Rask for a PMD and we can watch him develop someplace where he's appreciated.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from guy0677. Show guy0677's posts

Posted by I-Like-Hockey

Apparently, you disregarded the fact that I acknowledged the potential for an adverse affect on this season of trading him.  However, the bottom line is he has 2 years left on this obscene contract and you have a franchise goalie that is at a crucial age not playing...on a 1-way contract so he can't go back to the AHL.  This is not sustainable. 

By the way...the last time the Bruins traded the young goalie and kept the veteran, it was Billy Ranford and he won the cup elsewhere!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from guy0677. Show guy0677's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Potential... : Trading Thomas is the perfect solution.  You move an obscene contract and probably get too much back because you are selling high.  2 years ago when he was hot I said trade him while his value was high.  The following year he fell off the table and they spent the summer not being able to give him away.  Now his hot start makes people believe he's worth something again... and everyone will continue to ooh and ah over overplayed saves and ignore goals from behind the net like last night.  However, like last year, once the bad games start coming back, you wont be able to trade him for a six pack of Diet Coke again. In the event this management want to commit to the Flopper for the next couple years, they might as well trade Rask.  This is revolting watching this potential franchise goaltender get rustier and lose his confidence and completely rot away on the bench forever.  Lets trade Rask for a PMD and we can watch him develop someplace where he's appreciated.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

A bit harsh in the response, but I agree with most of this.  The bottom line is that Thomas' saves are so theatrical because his positioning is horrible.  If this team trades Rask, I'm done with my season tickets and the F'n team!  I can live with the risk of this season by trading Thomas, but I will not put up with the adverse affect on the next 10 years of trading Rask!!! 

Sections
Shortcuts