Trade Potential...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: Trade Potential...

In Response to Re: Trade Potential...:
    In Response to Re: Trade Potential... : Trading Thomas is the perfect solution.  You move an obscene contract and probably get too much back because you are selling high.  2 years ago when he was hot I said trade him while his value was high.  The following year he fell off the table and they spent the summer not being able to give him away.  Now his hot start makes people believe he's worth something again... and everyone will continue to ooh and ah over overplayed saves and ignore goals from behind the net like last night.  However, like last year, once the bad games start coming back, you wont be able to trade him for a six pack of Diet Coke again. In the event this management want to commit to the Flopper for the next couple years, they might as well trade Rask.  This is revolting watching this potential franchise goaltender get rustier and lose his confidence and completely rot away on the bench forever.  Lets trade Rask for a PMD and we can watch him develop someplace where he's appreciated.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

So in essence you are saying the Bs are rebuilding for a Stanley Cup winner several years down the line.  Trading Savard, Chara, Thomas amounts to that at this point.  In a league where parity is sought, why would you trade the chance you might have at a Stanley Cup berth.  Now I don't think the Bs are Stanley Cup caliber as a team.  But, I have the humility to understand that sometimes a team wins the Stanley Cup with the lesser team, Montreal 1993. So think the Bs stay the course of a possible berth and rebuild through the draft.  Enough said.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

I wouldnt trade Big Wheel even for a 1st draft choice overall ....no way

Stanley cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Sturm, wheeler and ryder could be traded to St Louis by now. St. Louis is missing a few key players due to injuries. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I wouldnt trade Big Wheel even for a 1st draft choice overall ....no way Stanley cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

I like Wheeler more than most fans do  and I wish he wasn't a constant source of debate.Unfortunately though,he is.So until he gets something that at least resembles consistency he'll forever be the subject of trade/I hate wheeler posts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Just to clear the air on TT- right now, he would be an excellent trading chip.

Right now, his contract is a bargain @ $5 mil a year.
    Right now, TT is playing BETTER than anyone in the NHL. 

Many teams would take him right now.

The B's would be crazy to trade him.  He has carried the team this year.  Just look at how the team plays with the backup in net... 1-6.  I think TR has a bright future, but TT is the MVP of the league up to this point...

He is not off to a good start, he is off to a  record breaking start.

TT will not get traded.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from guy0677. Show guy0677's posts

Just to clear the air on TT- right now, he would be an excellent trading chip. Right now, his contract is a bargain @ $5 mil a year. Right now, TT is playing BETTER than anyone in the NHL.  Many teams would take him right now. The B's would be crazy to trade him.  He has carried the team this year.  Just look at how the team plays with the backup in net... 1-6.  I think TR has a bright future, but TT is the MVP of the league up to this point... He is not off to a good start, he is off to a  record breaking start. TT will not get traded.
    Posted by stingerjp

Yes, "right now" his contract is good.  Paying $5MM per year for this caliber of play is a good deal.  However, he has 2 years left and they have a potential franchise goaltender in Rask for another cap hit.  This is also a goaltender that CANNOT sit for the next 2 1/2 years. 

I bet there still isn't much of a market for him even with him playing out of his butt right now because every GM in the league knows how bad the 35+ contract is for their organization.  Keep in mind that good teams like Philly, San Jose and Washington decided not to pay top dollar for goaltending this season.  I also don't see this as "giving up". 

All of you people that are so enamoured with Thomas right now were probably the same people that were crazy about Rask last spring.  We are not necessarily giving up on the season by trading Thomas.  Rask's limited numbers (besides wins/losses...which has more to do with the team) are pretty damn good this year and look at what he did last year to basically single-handedly put them in the playoffs!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

WOW, what a dumb bunch of quasi-GMs. Thomas should not go anywhere. His salary is not out of line for his performance or obscene. He has saved the Bruins defense continually. Rask is the "POTENTIAL" future, and has the opportunity to learn more this year that he should have had last year. SOXfan stick to baseball, the Sox just bought the pennant. Rask's only problems this year have been his very poor defense, and a lack of scoring by the forwards. Same complaint Timmy should have every night. As stated on another thread, Kreji could be the best chip for a stud defenseman, and Wheeler  could easily go to Edmonton as a center with a high value return, not second round.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Just to clear the air on TT- right now, he would be an excellent trading chip. Right now, his contract is a bargain @ $5 mil a year. Right now, TT is playing BETTER than anyone in the NHL.  Many teams would take him right now. The B's would be crazy to trade him.  He has carried the team this year.  Just look at how the team plays with the backup in net... 1-6.  I think TR has a bright future, but TT is the MVP of the league up to this point... He is not off to a good start, he is off to a  record breaking start. TT will not get traded.
    Posted by stingerjp

No.Crosby would be MVP right now(I can't stand him but give credit where it's due).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Sing that same old song once again....

You are a fool to sacrifice performance on the ice because you don't like a contract.  There are no trophies for fan-approved cap management.  Right now, Tim Thomas is playing like a guy who is about to win a Vezina - which is what he was when he signed the deal.  It's not an obscene deal no matter what fad is working its way through the ranks of NHL GMs, and it's not ridiculous to put a potential franchise goaltender who has played one full season in the NHL in a secondary role - in fact, that was the plan all along until Thomas's hip injury along with Rask's play accelerated Rask's development.

Those top teams that elected to go with low rent solutions in net - how many cups have they won despite having huge investments in their forwards?  I'll wait while you count.

Done?  Good.  Thanks.

There's no reason to think Thomas will suddenly fall off the planet next year, and his NMC ends July 1 2012 meaning they can move him to the minors if they wish for that final year.  He also makes less that year, so in real dollars, the buy-out penalty would only be $1.5M over two years.  That's not much worse than Peter Schaeffer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

One more thought - if you truly believe Rask is the better goaltender right now, AND you can make a deal to get a piece you need to improve the team by trading TT, then by all means make the deal and live with it.  But no one is talking about that when they say "trade Thomas!"  All they want to do is run away from the Cap hit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbruin4. Show mrbruin4's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Potential... : Trading Thomas is the perfect solution.  You move an obscene contract and probably get too much back because you are selling high.  2 years ago when he was hot I said trade him while his value was high.  The following year he fell off the table and they spent the summer not being able to give him away.  Now his hot start makes people believe he's worth something again... and everyone will continue to ooh and ah over overplayed saves and ignore goals from behind the net like last night.  However, like last year, once the bad games start coming back, you wont be able to trade him for a six pack of Diet Coke again. In the event this management want to commit to the Flopper for the next couple years, they might as well trade Rask.  This is revolting watching this potential franchise goaltender get rustier and lose his confidence and completely rot away on the bench forever.  Lets trade Rask for a PMD and we can watch him develop someplace where he's appreciated.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Your an idiot...........best goalie in NHL  is TT  FACT NOT FICTION.......Maybe pit will trade Sid now his value is high.......smoke some more weed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

Yup good idea...trade the teams MVP, trade the only real reason they are near the top of their division, trade the only player that has been consistent, trade the top goalie in the league. Makes perfect sense. We should do it soon before he wins the Vezina because we wouldn't want another one of those on the team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

Posted by SoxFanInIL
    Hey ballsakfaninill, surprised you would show your moronic face in here again. Howw has that crow been tasting? Nice too see you figured out, how too make names too agree with yourself. Thomas is a steal for the money. What happened too your stupid little old caption at the bottom? You know nothing, about the game. Don't try too hide the fact now. You would bet your money on a goalie with potential, instead of a proven super star in net? You are far dumber, then even I thought. Forget winning years from now, This may be the best chance the Bruins have in years. Keep eating that crow, ms ballsakfaninill, I will keep enjoying, watching the best goalie on the planet!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from POWERSURGE. Show POWERSURGE's posts

Besides on the PK; wheeler was a DUD tonight.  -1,  no shot, is not a called an offensive threat in my book.. He's still the best trade card for the Bruins; except Sturm.  

I like to compare Thomas and Rask to:  Crosby and Malkin for the Penguins, Ovechkin and Backstrom for the Capitals, Eberle and Hall for Edmonton....

THEY HAVE BOTH GREAT TRADE VALUE BUT THEY ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE BESIDES HANGING OUT IN BOSTON!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from guy0677. Show guy0677's posts

It's not an obscene deal no matter what fad is working its way through the ranks of NHL GMs, and it's not ridiculous to put a potential franchise goaltender who has played one full season in the NHL in a secondary role - in fact, that was the plan all along until Thomas's hip injury along with Rask's play accelerated Rask's development. Those top teams that elected to go with low rent solutions in net - how many cups have they won despite having huge investments in their forwards?  I'll wait while you count. Done?  Good.  Thanks. There's no reason to think Thomas will suddenly fall off the planet next year, and his NMC ends July 1 2012 meaning they can move him to the minors if they wish for that final year.  He also makes less that year, so in real dollars, the buy-out penalty would only be $1.5M over two years.  That's not much worse than Peter Schaeffer.
    Posted by Bookboy007

First of all, that is not my understanding of his contract.  It's not just the NMC.  It's related to the fact that he has a 35+ contract and the buyout/move to minors do not relieve the cap funds.  I hope I'm wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. 

As for potential?   Yes, Rask hasn't had an entire career yet.  However, even this season he has a .928 save percentage with limited playing time and the team clearly not playing as well in front of him.  Also, this is not exactly Blaine Lacher...he has the pedigree of a franchise goaltender.  It's not like we would be pinning our hopes on a fly-by-night goaltender.  In the cap world, you can't have everything!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I agree with the sentiments about Wheeler.  Typically, a guy with Wheeler's tools are the best that you would do in the 2nd round.  Are there exceptions?  Of course, but trading him seems silly.  He's one of the few economical contracts the Bruins have at his level of production.  He kills penalties and is good on defense.  His offensive play is better than his production right now and the cliche is that it will come...hopefully, it will.  I think the real trade opportunity is in goal.  Two big questions here...Despite his play, is there even a market for Thomas at his outrageous contract?  Also, do they believe this team can compete for a cup with Thomas this season?  I, personally, think they need to play for the next 2-3 years and trade Thomas for whatever they can get for him that clears cap space.  If you believe in Rask, Caron, Colbourne, Knight, etc...then they need those $ for the defense.  So, this may not be popular considering he's on a Vezina track, but TRADE TIM THOMAS!
    Posted by guy0677

One more of these, and you are officially IGNORED.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

The problem with trading TT beyond the obvious level of his play this year, is that there is no goalie ready to assume a back-up role with Rask.  Best case scenario, you trade TT for something of value, you would still need to acquire a back-up goalie.  Maybe you go the Isles for Roloson, his cap hit is still $2.5M?  So to net a cap savings of $2.5M some would be willing to trade TT?  Makes no sense, TT is earning his contract right now, prefer not to weaken our goaltending for $2.5M of cap space.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from guy0677. Show guy0677's posts

The problem with trading TT beyond the obvious level of his play this year, is that there is no goalie ready to assume a back-up role with Rask.  Best case scenario, you trade TT for something of value, you would still need to acquire a back-up goalie.  Maybe you go the Isles for Roloson, his cap hit is still $2.5M?  So to net a cap savings of $2.5M some would be willing to trade TT?  Makes no sense, TT is earning his contract right now, prefer not to weaken our goaltending for $2.5M of cap space.
    Posted by Crowls2424

I think this is the best argument I've ever heard for not trading him.  However, I am inclined to think that it's the last 2 years of the deal that are why they need to trade him.  In order to keep this young nucleus and add the missing piece(s) on defense that $2.5MM is important.  There must be an Alex Auld-type guy out there somewhere in the $1MM class they could get.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from guy0677. Show guy0677's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Potential... : One more of these, and you are officially IGNORED.
    Posted by perrysound

Hahahaha!!! Promise?? 

It's a forum, man...we're supposed to disagree

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from anddebbv. Show anddebbv's posts

I DROP MARCO STRUM DOWN TO ATLANTA FOR THE BIG DEFENCE MAN DUSTIN BYFUGLIEN AN RYDER  SEND THEM PACKING , THIS GUY PROVED HE CAN PLAY
    PK SUBBAN IN MONTREAL IS ANOTHER DEFENCEMAN THE BRUINS SHOULD LOOK AT MONTREAL ARE LOOKING TO UNLOAD HIM

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Yea I-Like;
    My ignore list is growing. Anyone who even hints at trading not only the Vezina trophy winner for this season (UP TO THIS POINT) but also a Hart Trophy candidate isn't worth my eyes seeing such stupor!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

People need to get over Thomas actually earning his salary. He and Mark Andre Fleury have the same cap hit. Which of them do you think is a better goalie?

Lundquist, Miller, Brodeur, Vokoun, Kiprusoff, Giguere, Ward, Luongo, Backstrom are all earning more.

Luongo melts like candle wax in April, Brodeur is possibly the greatest goal tender of all time, and Miller is probably the best goalie on the planet right now. Giguere couldn't keep his starting job in Anahiem, and is barely a starter in Toronto. Lundquist has fallen off the planet in the past two seasons. Ward has had exactly two good seasons. Vokoun is probably the only reason his teams even make double digit wins, and the past two seasons have been the same for Backstrom.

I agree with the sentiments about Wheeler.  Typically, a guy with Wheeler's tools are the best that you would do in the 2nd round.  Are there exceptions?  Of course, but trading him seems silly.  He's one of the few economical contracts the Bruins have at his level of production.  He kills penalties and is good on defense.  His offensive play is better than his production right now and the cliche is that it will come...hopefully, it will.  I think the real trade opportunity is in goal.  Two big questions here...Despite his play, is there even a market for Thomas at his outrageous contract?  Also, do they believe this team can compete for a cup with Thomas this season?  I, personally, think they need to play for the next 2-3 years and trade Thomas for whatever they can get for him that clears cap space.  If you believe in Rask, Caron, Colbourne, Knight, etc...then they need those $ for the defense.  So, this may not be popular considering he's on a Vezina track, but TRADE TIM THOMAS!
    Posted by guy0677

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

"Potential franchise goaltender" ??? Excuse me while i go laugh my backside off.
    Rask melted so far and so fast in April I think that's all we need to know. The reason he has no confidence now is he's smart enough to know he was balls deep in the pooch. Yes, the team played bad in front of him, but they were still scoring goals. He needed 1 good performance in 3 shots to make it to the next round, he didn't do it.

Posted by SoxFanInIL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

I serioulsy don't know why everyone wants Wheeler out of town. How about we just do this? Trade Sturm and thats $3.5 milll off the books then instead of trading Wheeler. Why not trade Daniel Paille and his $1 million contract??? This would give us over $4 mill to spend on an Puck Moving D-man that this team so badly needs.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts