Trade Savard or Trade for Kovalchuk idea

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Trade Savard or Trade for Kovalchuk idea

BB,
    I assume my smart point was that Lecavalier begins with an L, not a C

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Savard or Trade for Kovalchuk idea:
    [QUOTE]Buzzard, its a calculated risk, not necessarily stupid, way to early to judge.. Washington signed Ovie to a 13 year deal, you hear very little about that..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

I understand that and wasn't implying that it wouldn't work out for NJ in the end.  My context was under the original idea of anyone trading for Kovalchuck.  NJ made the signing - and appropriate moves to fit it into their salary structure.

He could be back to his old self next season, put up 47 goals and a respectable +/-... good for him and the Devils.  It's just that he's going to have to work his way back to being an elite scorer with the Devils.  No team is going to take him "as is" right now.  Hence, the reference to 2016.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Buzz.
    I think there are still plenty of teams that would take him, hes off to a bad year, but hes still a great player.. hes a cap room and commitment issue at this time..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

No question they'd probably like to add a winger who can score (and who else doesn't for that matter) but adding Kovalchuk makes absolutley no sense at all. Not even sure why I read this post.Cabin fever already?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

roler - that too, but, to be clear for all, I meant your earlier point that it's a 15 yr. commitment.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If Lou resigns Parise (very good chance) the Devils will be on the rise again very soon. Lamoriello needs to address the defense more than anything else. Kovalchuk will have an explosion once Lou finds a home for Arnott which should be any day now because Ilya will be the man again so he'll start shooting freely without wanting to pass first to the former established ageing stars.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Savard or Trade for Kovalchuk idea:
    [QUOTE]Buzz. I think there are still plenty of teams that would take him, hes off to a bad year, but hes still a great player.. hes a cap room and commitment issue at this time..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what your arguing against.  Isn't that what I've been saying?

He could be back to his old self next year...
    The Devils made him fit at the time but other teams may not have that room...

What's the debate?  I may not have a lot of posts - but I'm not an idiot.  Forgive me if I've missed your point... but it seems we mostly agree.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

A big NO to Kovalchuk.  He will have a difficult time justifying that contract and better to let NJ deal with their mistake than help them out of it.  NJ has been up for too long, time for them to dwell in the cellar.

As for Savard, not sure if trading Savard low is the best idea.  He will get his game back which will benefit the B's.  At that point the B's can reconsider dealing him.  This of course is based on the progression of Seguin and Krecji as I'm still not sold on him.  Good player, but great...  we'll see?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Buzz,
    Not arguing, I am saying I think there are teams that would take him with his 15 year deal if they have cap room.  I don't think everyone looks at the deal as having crippled the team.. Its alot of money, but his cap hit is what 6mil? if his deal was 2 years for 6 mill would NJ be any better?

they identified him as a great player to build around and committed to him, there not looking to deal him based on one bad season, only bruins fans do that..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

Roler,  I see what you're saying and agree for the most part.  He does have a fairly agreeable cap hit.  I guess our opinions only differ in the when and not so much the if other teams would take him.

I see teams waiting a few seasons (while the NJD rebuild - even though Lamoriello won't use that term) before pulling the trigger on any trade for him.  Let him put up a few 40 G seasons on the Devil's dime.  It was a calculated risk to sign him to that contract, thus it would also be a calculated risk for teams to go after him immediately.

It will all depend on how quickly they can turn things around in NJ.  As they have been for a while, NJ is still a team based heavily on defense and goaltending.  Ironically, the team he was traded from is currently a better fit for his style of play.

NJ need to alter their game philosopy and become a more aggressive offensive team (perhaps when Brodeur finally retires?) which will help Kovalchuck get back to where he once was.  If/when that happens, he should be fine and there should be no incentive for the Devils to trade him.

So, yes... perhaps my DiPietro analogy was a bit off in the sense of crippling the team.  But that then begs the question - if DiPietro wasn't injured constantly would his deal be as crippling to NYI as it is?  As always, hindight is 20/20... so the Kovalchuck deal can't yet be considered as crippling as DiPietro's deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Kovulchucks cap hit is basically 6.67 into eternity, and yes, everything would be absolutely, completely, totally different, if it were for 2 years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Buzz,
    If you are going to take him, you want him sooner then later..
    you want him at his prime as long as possible you dont want to be stuck buying out the last 5 years..