Trade Talk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Trade Talk

Some people don't like trade speculation.  I think it's a fundamental part of hockey talk.  Hamill placed on waivers to me is a clear indication that the Bruins are going to pick up a forward, though I have no idea who that is.  I do think they will also pick up a D, and a couple guys that came to mind to day are Brett Clark and Marc-Andre Bergeron of Tampa Bay.  Both are cheap.  Both are left-shot D.  Clark was quite good for TB last year in their playoff run and is very experienced. He's the kind of guy that could even fill in for a guy like Chara for a game if needed. Bergeron is one-dimensional, but is very good offensively.  He could play on the 3rd string if needed and play on the powerplay. Basically a left-shot Corvo, and he has some lengthy playoff runs under his belt too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Re: Trade Talk

this is interesting

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Talk:

I just heard a volcano erupt, I believe it was NAS.  Shock wave should be hitting this thread any time now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Toughness and depth with expiring contracts that look good are Gill, Aucoin or Staois on D and Koivu, Prospal and Stepniak as a depth forward wouldn't cost Chiarelli for that depth he's looking for.

Plenty of expiring contracts out there without mortgaging allot. Then again Chiarelli could do what what he's done in the last 3 years commit complete robbery of another GM with a bigger deal and still keep his core players. The question for me is how he pulls back a current 2nd rounder he doesn't have unless he's made a decision to trade his 1st rounder for a couple of 2nd rounders."

Yzerman does already have just under $8M already and I'm sure owner Vinik will let Steve spend some more if need be. What does Chiarelli have that Tampa needs not Pouliot or Corvo. I think Bergeron would be a better option on the PP than Corvo just don't know the cost.

"Hamill, Ryder and a 4th" is not option anymore...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yup. We know Gleason is now gone. The problem with that list is that the article quotes Chiarelli saying he wants to target depth players and then it lists high-end talent.  I think it's not reasonable to expect Hemsky or Suter.  I also don't want them, because I think it would take too much to get them, and too much to sign Suter long-term.  Whitney or Ruutu could be a good fit.  I'd like a left wing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Oates, my thoughts exactly. Prospal could be another reasonable pick-up. Horton's recovery figures in, and it's about time to stop jerking Caron around. He can play either 3rd line or 4th line, and making Thornton the 13th forward should provide better results when Campbell and Paille have more skill available.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

I like Brett Clark, but I still think they should go after Ray Whitney...I don't think he would cost the barn, and he would look great on the 3rd line.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Marc Andre Bergeron..... interesting. Would love to see him suit up in Corvos spot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Marc Andre Bergeron..... interesting. Would love to see him suit up in Corvos spot.
    Posted by Bisson1

Ew no. MAB and CJ would not mix. CJ would freaking murder MAB and his entire Family after a few games of coaching him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

The Hurricanes have already traded away one player and re-signed another this month, and more transactions are expected in the weeks leading up to the trade deadline.

Carolina GM Jim Rutherford dealt winger Alexei Ponikarovsky to New Jersey on Jan. 20, and signed defenseman Tim Gleason to a four-year extension yesterday.

Several players remain on the trade block, including defensemen Joni Pitkanen, Bryan Allen and Jaroslav Spacek, and forward Tuomo Ruutu.

Ruutu, 28, is considered one of the most coveted scoring forwards available for trade.

According to one team source, the Hurricanes haven't open contract talks with Ruutu and aren't expected to before the deadline.

Ruutu is currently making $4.4 million this season, though his cap hit is $3.8 million.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times explains, the Lightning will have one NHL-caliber defenseman too many once Marc-Andre Bergeron returns to the active lineup following recovery from a mishap in the weight room. Players possibly on the move thanks to this surplus are Bruno Gervais and Brendan Mikkelson.

“Gervais is a smart guy. Mikkelson is mobile and can move,” Lightning bench boss Guy Boucher said. “They’re both heads-up. I’d say both are down-to-earth guys who actually are very calm about things, so they’re calm about their tandem and what they need to do.”

Blue-line depth is always a desired commodity at the deadline, and it appears that the Lightning should have some options if they want to let one go.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

Shea Weber and Ray Whitney for prospects and picks,

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Ruutu’s Price Is High

The New York Post’s Larry Brooks reports that the price for Tuomo Ruutu may currently be a first-round pick, which is a bit too pricey for suitors. Given the type of teams that might be interested the Chicago Blackhawks, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, Boston Bruins and Detroit Red Wings, it’ll likely be a late-first rounder.

The Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch hears that the Leafs will offer eitherJoe Colborne or Nazem Kadri for Ruutu, but they may need to keep those guys if Bobby Ryan ever goes on the market.

The other player who might be able to be had for a first-rounder is Ales Hemsky, but there are clubs that may prefer Ruutu over Hemsky down the stretch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Who Could The Bruins Target?

The Boston Globe’s Kevin Paul Dupont writes that the Bruins may want to fill the roles vacated by three guys who left last year’s championship squad Mark RecchiMichael Ryder and Tomas Kaberle – and suggested a handful of players they could trade for.

Dupont suggests Ray Whitney might fill Recchi’s leadership role, and this isn’t the first time the B’s have been linked to Whitney. However, the Coyotes are still fighting for a playoff spot and Whitney may never hit the market, at which point Vinny Prospal may be best option. Secondly, Dupont suggests Tuomo Ruutu or Drew Stafford could take Ryder’s role. But expect several other clubs to chase Ruutu and Stafford. Lastly, Dupont writes that Hal GillJaroslav SpacekSteve Staios or Milan Jurcina might be fits to take Kaberle’s role.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

The Bruins, I believe, will make some noise come trade deadline. I don't believe it will be a high echelon player like a Hemsky or Weber, or Sutter, but it will be someone that most Bruin fans will embrace. I hope this comment is as non committal as you can get !.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I have no problem with trade talk. I'd even say I like good trade talk that is informed.  I hate e-harmony talk, which is that shallow sort of trade talk where the only reason to say the Bruins should pursue player x is that the poster has a man crush on him and there's some thin reason to think he might be on the market.  Typically these players are established stars or big names.  I wish I had the ability to write a macro that would scan this board for this type of trade talk and correlate it to proposals where the Bruins get either a perennial all-star or a young stud in exchange for drink tickets at Chucky Cheese and the rights to Carl Soderberg.

My frustration comes out particularly when there are 500 discussions of what the Bruins could do to get Jarome Iginla and not one of them starts by explaining why it would make sense for the Bruins to pursue him other than that he has been a great player.  If that's the only requirement, that the player be bichin!, then you might as well just list every star player on every team outside the top eight in the league and say: "The Bruins need to pry him away from Team X".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

Hennessy Camper Warsofsky and 90th pick for Staal and Gleason

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Did anyone on here think of Peverly as an additon last year, probably not.  As for Kelly, he was in the rumor mill.  Now Ruutu is not going to be a Bruin, the price will not be right.  Pitkanen would be a nice fit, but get ready to pay still.  Suter is the gamble, but it will cost big time.  It could pay off but on the other hand the gifts the other direction could put the Bs in the "Ottawa scenario" several years removed from this year.  Caron and a 1st will not do the trick, think Krejci or Hamilton if you want the big stars. Otherwise no to many, Sandog has a sense of reality in his views. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You had me until you said SanDog had a sense of reality  Tongue out

Both the Peverley and Kelly deals are perfect examples of good trade talk, actually, and no one saw that kind of deal coming because of the fixation on the UFA star.  Kelly was on a team that looked like a massive rebuild was coming.  He was slighlty over-priced for the Senators given that he's not a big offensive producer when surrounded by lesser talents but can earn that $2M+ because he has just enough finish to hang with good offensive players - not to create, but to hang with them.  He wasn't on the verge of a new contract, just a guy in the wrong situation who looked overpriced there and proved to be just right in Boston.

Same with Peverley.  Little and Kane were moving up the depth chart, and probably pushing Peverley to the margins.  Tough to tell a guy who was the #1 C on a bad team that he's going to drop to #3 so the young guys get their chance to shine when the former #1C is only 28.  For what he brings Peverley's sub $2M deal was sweet.  And the fit in Boston also has proven to be pretty sweet for both sides.

Here's the key: these are deals you credit to scouting.  Most fans don't watch enough Thrasher v. Senators games to get a real sense of what a third line player's game is - where he's strong and where he's not.  Media don't talk about these guys because really, how exciting is the name Rich Peverley?  Much less exciting than Kovalchuk or Weber or Suter or whoever.  But last year, the Bruins won in part because of these deals - not because of the more ballyhooed Kaberle deal.

Go back - the Blackhawks didn't acquire anyone the year they won.  The Penguin version of Peverley and Kelly was Chris Kunitz and Craig Adams.  The Wings added Brad Stuart, who was basically a reclamation project at that point.  And Anaheim?  They added Jackman, George Parros, and Brad May.  See a pattern?  Not one Stanley Cup winner has gotten there by adding a pending UFA veteran star.  Not.  One.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Fortuately for the Bruins, Gleason isn’t the only left-shooting option out there. For instance, Filip Kuba of the Ottawa Senators is considered available. Hal Gill, who has a history with the Bruins, could be an option in a deal with the Montreal Canadiens. Even Johnny Oduya Winnipeg Jets might fit the bill.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Otherwise no to many, Sandog has a sense of reality in his views. Posted by islamorada

I'll take "some sense" instead of "no sense" at least 4 out of 7 days a week that would work. Pitkanen was and will always be my "E-Harmony" crush but two knee scopes in the past year might lead some GMs that he has tendonitis along with that healthy contract.

Book definitely wants some more 2009 Cane top playoff performers on the Bruins for sure. Now the real question is who will over pay for Hemsky ?...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Typical stupidity from Bleacher Report.

Yeah, how'd that Tim Gleason train run?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Idle hands, idle minds.

It's the fans' right to conjure up these ridiculous trade ideas but Bookboy makes great points. Not many people anticipated the Kelly and Peverley deals, and they worked wonders.

The interesting trade talk has nothing to do with the Bruins or the trade deadline. Summer trading season will be interesting to watch with Iginla, Vancouver's Schneider, the Preds' free agent D, and a host of others.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yeah, I have no interest in talk about trades for Stamkos or Nash or whoever. I do enjoy speculating on what the Bruins will actually do at some point in the next few weeks.  I'm pretty sure they will do something, if for no other reason than to say they did.  I like it when people come up with realistic scenarios that aren't usually talked about.  It's like someone said, no one saw the Peverley trade coming at all. I'll be honest, I watch a lot of hockey and I barely knew the guy. I expect this trade deadline will bring something similar.  Someone under-rated and affordable. Of all of the more prominent names out there, I think Whitney is probably the most realistic.  Bob McKenzie wrote today about Ruutu being dealt, and he's as close to a true insider as there really is. He did not list the Bruins among the teams pursuing him though. He mentioned Spacek as another guy who could be dealt... I think he could be a good fit in Boston.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

You had me until you said SanDog had a sense of reality  Both the Peverley and Kelly deals are perfect examples of good trade talk, actually, and no one saw that kind of deal coming because of the fixation on the UFA star.  Kelly was on a team that looked like a massive rebuild was coming.  He was slighlty over-priced for the Senators given that he's not a big offensive producer when surrounded by lesser talents but can earn that $2M+ because he has just enough finish to hang with good offensive players - not to create, but to hang with them.  He wasn't on the verge of a new contract, just a guy in the wrong situation who looked overpriced there and proved to be just right in Boston. Same with Peverley.  Little and Kane were moving up the depth chart, and probably pushing Peverley to the margins.  Tough to tell a guy who was the #1 C on a bad team that he's going to drop to #3 so the young guys get their chance to shine when the former #1C is only 28.  For what he brings Peverley's sub $2M deal was sweet.  And the fit in Boston also has proven to be pretty sweet for both sides. Here's the key: these are deals you credit to scouting.  Most fans don't watch enough Thrasher v. Senators games to get a real sense of what a third line player's game is - where he's strong and where he's not.  Media don't talk about these guys because really, how exciting is the name Rich Peverley?  Much less exciting than Kovalchuk or Weber or Suter or whoever.  But last year, the Bruins won in part because of these deals - not because of the more ballyhooed Kaberle deal. Go back - the Blackhawks didn't acquire anyone the year they won.  The Penguin version of Peverley and Kelly was Chris Kunitz and Craig Adams.  The Wings added Brad Stuart, who was basically a reclamation project at that point.  And Anaheim?  They added Jackman, George Parros, and Brad May.  See a pattern?  Not one Stanley Cup winner has gotten there by adding a pending UFA veteran star.  Not.  One.  
    Posted by Bookboy007

Best post I've read in a while, Bookboy. Thanks.

Sections
Shortcuts