Trade Tim Thomas????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Trade Tim Thomas????

I've seen a few posts here where people are suggesting trading Thomas. usually from the people who want to deal Zach Hamill for a legit player. But seriously??? I get it, he's 37, how many years does he have left, and his trade value will never be higher, and we can get a young d-man or forward who will be great for a decade. heres why you can't.

1. Not a good business decision to trade the Conn Smythe winner. The Bruins haven't been more popular in decades, are you really going to raise the banner on opening night and not have the most popular guy on the team there in uniform?
    2. What would a team really give up for a 37 year old netminder. Remember, there would only be a few teams in the market. They'd have to be close to a cup and view Thomas as the missing link.They'd have to move a contract to make it work, i'm assuming.. Say Washington approached the B's before they got vokoun. what would they give up to make it worth it? Semin, i'll pass. Draft picks? no thanks, wont go over well. Okay say the Kings traded you the rights to Doughty before july 1st...L.A is a better team with Quick/Doughty then Thomas/No Doughty..
    3. Wow, what a difference a year makes!! Think Philly would have traded Carter for Thomas now??? Last year the B's couldnt get a taker for the contract, now with him and Tukka signed up for next year at just over 6 million that looks like a steal! What did bryzgalov just get? What has he won?
    4. Tim Thomas' value is highest as a member of the Bruins. Without him, no Cup. Thats a fact. He's marketable, very popular and is the perfect fit for a blue collar town. i see absolutly no reason why he can't have a great year next year,not saying he'll repeat last year, but he more than anyone knows a Cup and Conn Smythe will get you a little goodwill in the bank , but should he have a couple bad starts in October, he knows Tuuka will be right in there..You think If Tuuka gets a shot he isnt gonna try and run with it and get his spot back? Timmy knows this and the bruins will benefit from this immensly.

please, the guy has won 2 vezina trophis, a conn smythe, a cup after battling for years to just get his name on a roster. Lets let him enjoy this and feel greatful he's on the Bruins roster.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: Trade Tim Thomas????

Prior to the CUP run there definitely was an opportunity to trade Timmy. Now, no way, BUT, it is now Claude's responsibility to maximize both Thomas and Rask. Chiarelli has provided the horses, and Claude needs to refine his "'stick with a winner" stubborness, and inclination towards veteran players, and evolve Tuuka into the next solid Bruins goaltender. Tuuka's style is different than Tim's so how does Claude adjust his defense? Tuuka deserves the opportunity, particularly during the regular season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Trade Tim Thomas????:
    [QUOTE]I've seen a few posts here where people are suggesting trading Thomas. usually from the people who want to deal Zach Hamill for a legit player. But seriously??? I get it, he's 37, how many years does he have left, and his trade value will never be higher, and we can get a young d-man or forward who will be great for a decade. heres why you can't. 1. Not a good business decision to trade the Conn Smythe winner. The Bruins haven't been more popular in decades, are you really going to raise the banner on opening night and not have the most popular guy on the team there in uniform? 2. What would a team really give up for a 37 year old netminder. Remember, there would only be a few teams in the market. They'd have to be close to a cup and view Thomas as the missing link.They'd have to move a contract to make it work, i'm assuming.. Say Washington approached the B's before they got vokoun. what would they give up to make it worth it? Semin, i'll pass. Draft picks? no thanks, wont go over well. Okay say the Kings traded you the rights to Doughty before july 1st...L.A is a better team with Quick/Doughty then Thomas/No Doughty.. 3. Wow, what a difference a year makes!! Think Philly would have traded Carter for Thomas now??? Last year the B's couldnt get a taker for the contract, now with him and Tukka signed up for next year at just over 6 million that looks like a steal! What did bryzgalov just get? What has he won? 4. Tim Thomas' value is highest as a member of the Bruins. Without him, no Cup. Thats a fact. He's marketable, very popular and is the perfect fit for a blue collar town. i see absolutly no reason why he can't have a great year next year,not saying he'll repeat last year, but he more than anyone knows a Cup and Conn Smythe will get you a little goodwill in the bank , but should he have a couple bad starts in October, he knows Tuuka will be right in there..You think If Tuuka gets a shot he isnt gonna try and run with it and get his spot back? Timmy knows this and the bruins will benefit from this immensly. please, the guy has won 2 vezina trophis, a conn smythe, a cup after battling for years to just get his name on a roster. Lets let him enjoy this and feel greatful he's on the Bruins roster.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    NICE!!!! Kel.

I'm gonna be like Stanley & make a prediction. I say barring no injury. TT ties the record for the 2nd most shut-outs in a season. Which is 15! I just think that TT found another notch in himself & he's going to begin the season as he left it. Teams are going to be scratching their heads all season trying to figure the guy out; but as the reason some people call him a snowflake because no two saves are the same.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

last offseason I was all for it not now. I don't care if he is here past his prime after what he did for us this season and postseason trading him is the last thing I would like to see the bruins do. Last year that nicked up hip must have been the difference. The last two seasons he was healthy he has won the veznia.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joebondo. Show joebondo's posts

Thomas will retire as a Bruin, and a Hero at that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

It would be a stupid idea now.

You let the guy continue to start as long as he's playing at a high level.  I'm not sure how long Tuukka would be interested in backing up, but it seems they get along pretty well, so why mess with a nice mix?  Older established star and young talent?  Sounds good to me.  It would seem the B's could have a seamless transition when Thomas gets older and plays less and it eventually become's Tuukka's time.  If Tuukka feels the need to move on, the B's will have to address that when the time comes.

Given Thomas's love for the game and I'm guessing his affinity for playing in Boston, he could easily transition into an Osgood type of player later in his career, as I assume he'd continue to work on conditioning.  I also think he's worth more to Boston than any other team.

Leave it alone, there's nothing to be gained in looking for changes in goal right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Why do so many people think Tuukka is the next big thing? By the end of that infamous Philly series, he was the most exciting player on the ice—for all the wrong reasons. And given TT's iron man play on the way to the Cup, it's hard to believe a kid like Tuukka got tired in just the second round.

I hope Rask exceeds all the expectations people have of him and has a long career as the B's post-Thomas goalie. But I remember thinking the Bruins were set in goal after Andrew Raycroft's first season, and look how that turned out. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

I agree entirely but I think that changes big time after this upcoming season

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

there's maybe a handful of players in the entire league I would trade Thomas for, the elite of the elite forwards. But for some reason I don't see anyone trading a top 5 forward in the league for TT so he'll be around until his contract is up which I can smile about

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I wouldnt trade Thomas for Malkin AND Crosby!  And Im dead serious.  He has proven over the last few years, that he is THE BEST goalie in the league, bar non, hands down, NOT arguably.  He has so many records now its really unbelievable, and basically all set in the past 3 seasons.

I honestly think if Thomas was traded, Tuukka would flounder.  I do.  And I dont care if youre scoring 10 goals a night.  As long as the other team scores one more you still lose.

If you look at Roloson and how long he's been playing in the NHL (566 regular season games in 14 seasons), there is NO REASON why Thomas, a 37 year old with ONLY 319 regular season games in 7 seasons, cant play for another 5 years if he wanted (barring an injury).

I HOPE Thomas retires a Bruin.  It just wouldnt seem right otherwise.  And I hope when he does retire, they hang his number in the rafters the first game afterwards.  He deserves it with what he did this year alone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Tim Thomas????:
    [QUOTE]I wouldnt trade Thomas for Malkin AND Crosby!  And Im dead serious.  He has proven over the last few years, that he is THE BEST goalie in the league, bar non, hands down, NOT arguably.  He has so many records now its really unbelievable, and basically all set in the past 3 seasons. I honestly think if Thomas was traded, Tuukka would flounder.  I do.  And I dont care if youre scoring 10 goals a night.  As long as the other team scores one more you still lose. If you look at Roloson and how long he's been playing in the NHL (566 regular season games in 14 seasons), there is NO REASON why Thomas, a 37 year old with ONLY 319 regular season games in 7 seasons, cant play for another 5 years if he wanted (barring an injury). I HOPE Thomas retires a Bruin.  It just wouldnt seem right otherwise.  And I hope when he does retire, they hang his number in the rafters the first game afterwards.  He deserves it with what he did this year alone.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

You would not trade TT for Crosby and Malkin?  Are you for real?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]It would be a stupid idea now. You let the guy continue to start as long as he's playing at a high level.  I'm not sure how long Tuukka would be interested in backing up, but it seems they get along pretty well, so why mess with a nice mix?  Older established star and young talent?  Sounds good to me.  It would seem the B's could have a seamless transition when Thomas gets older and plays less and it eventually become's Tuukka's time.  If Tuukka feels the need to move on, the B's will have to address that when the time comes. Given Thomas's love for the game and I'm guessing his affinity for playing in Boston, he could easily transition into an Osgood type of player later in his career, as I assume he'd continue to work on conditioning.  I also think he's worth more to Boston than any other team. Leave it alone, there's nothing to be gained in looking for changes in goal right now.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

This I have to agree with. The B's have had 5 seasons to get used to TT's style; Or lack thereof.  For another team to get used to how Tim plays nite after nite would take some time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeydad. Show hockeydad's posts

Here are my thoughts on whether it's time to trade Tim Thomas...http://bleacherreport.com/articles/750804-boston-bruins-tim-thomas-contract-watch-what-do-the-bruins-do

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

[QUOTE]Prior to the CUP run there definitely was an opportunity to trade Timmy. Now, no way, BUT, it is now Claude's responsibility to maximize both Thomas and Rask. Chiarelli has provided the horses, and Claude needs to refine his "'stick with a winner" stubborness, and inclination towards veteran players, and evolve Tuuka into the next solid Bruins goaltender. Tuuka's style is different than Tim's so how does Claude adjust his defense? Tuuka deserves the opportunity, particularly during the regular season.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Claude went exclusively with Tuukka the previous year... because Thomas had a hip problem.
    Claude went exclusively with Thomas this year... because Tuukka had a knee problem.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Tim Thomas???? : This I have to agree with. The B's have had 5 seasons to get used to TT's style; Or lack thereof.  For another team to get used to how Tim plays nite after nite would take some time.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Nite, I think we converted Soxfan to the other side....welcome aboard old friend!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Tim Thomas???? : Nite, I think we converted Soxfan to the other side....welcome aboard old friend!
    LMAO! Trust me Kel the guy's almost as stubborn as me! It wasn't you or I that converted him....It was Timmy Thomas who converted a lot of detractors! I just think that TT just wouldn't let it continue. He seems to thrive on being told NO! I also think that he's not done.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

True, and like a poster said Roloson at 41 is still pretty darn good, wouldnt shock me at all to see timmy playing into his early 40's and at a high level.

Side note: though he probably will keep the same stuff, I'd like to see TT incorperate some gold into his equipment. i was told last year he when he prdered his stuff he stil wasnt sure where he'd be playing so he went with the black n white just in case..hope that changes..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Nite and Kel, didn't one of the two of you get a heads up last off-season about Timmy tweaking his equipment (which turned out to be true). Have you heard anything so far this year?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Tim Thomas???? : LMAO! Trust me Kel the guy's almost as stubborn as me! It wasn't you or I that converted him....It was Timmy Thomas who converted a lot of detractors! I just think that TT just wouldn't let it continue. He seems to thrive on being told NO! I also think that he's not done.

I will second the notion that I'm not converted by other fans' opinions... but what I saw accomplished in the Finals changed everything.

I'll also point out a major turning point for me... interestingly its what's included in nite's signature... that comment Thomas made after getting all that grief about his style after the OT loss in Game 3.  When he pretty much bit their heads off by the suggestion that he change his style.  No one's been harder on the guy than me, but when Thomas said that I thought, "thats EXACTLY what I would have said... I got this far by playing this way and Im supposed to make a change for a nitwit like you?"   Loved it.

Really respected that a lot.  I also went to Game 4 when he chopped Kesler.  Hard to not like the guy.  Of course the mind-boggling play winning a Cup didnt hurt either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

It's really nice to see our goalie posters ( kelvana, nitemare and sox ) getting along and talking about goaltending . Your thoughts and wisdom about the position that is the most important to any team is well received by me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Tim Thomas???? : This I have to agree with. The B's have had 5 seasons to get used to TT's style; Or lack thereof.  For another team to get used to how Tim plays nite after nite would take some time.

Agreed.  His style also fits the Bruins attitude more than any other goalie. Boston prides itself on its compete level, on its willingness to fight for the puck. What goalie fits that m.o. better than Thomas?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]True, and like a poster said Roloson at 41 is still pretty darn good, wouldnt shock me at all to see timmy playing into his early 40's and at a high level. Side note: though he probably will keep the same stuff, I'd like to see TT incorperate some gold into his equipment. i was told last year he when he prdered his stuff he stil wasnt sure where he'd be playing so he went with the black n white just in case..hope that changes..
    Roloson played great for Tampa Bay in game 7 but did show signs of getting tired in the series.I think TT can play well at the age of 41 as long as the B's have another good goalie to step in and carry the load .I see TT[at 41] as a great backup/money goalie  who can step in when he has to but not sure he can carry a team to the Cup at that age.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

I would trade him but only if it was too good an offer to turn down.  it would have to be a sure fire return for him - not an unproven prospect or picks. 

The reality is, i dont think there is a market for him for what the B's would want so its really a moot point.

His trade value wont get any higher.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

Different styles but I think TT is a great mentor for Tuukka. I've already seen Tukkaa scrambling for pucks more last year -not giving up on plays. Maybe a TT/Tuukka hybrid is the perfect goalie??

Sections
Shortcuts