Trade value on Thomas may be at its peak!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejusox21. Show ejusox21's posts

Re: Trade value on Thomas may be at its peak!!!

I dont care who they Keep or Trade... Just win the freakin' CUP!!!
    With a Bz Championship, I (we) will see all four Teams win in my lifetime...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Trade value on Thomas may be at its peak!!!:
    [QUOTE]Here's a good idea. List all the teams that: 1- Need a goalie. 2- Can afford him (have cap space, or the willingness to pay it) 3- Are not a serious threat to the B's come playoff time with TT in net. 4- Have something the Bruins really, really need, with little to no impact on the B's own Cap problems. Once you've done that, you see what kind of market there really is. Not much.
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

QFT, especially the bolded part.

So many cockamamie trade proposals made without knowledge or recognition of the realities of the salary cap.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dizanthium. Show Dizanthium's posts

You want to trade a Vezina winner with 4 shutouts this year? What are we, the Canadiens?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade value on Thomas may be at its peak!!! : read my posts, even just in this thread, take a second to read my threads before you comment on my views
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]Or you will what?Cry like a baby? I have read your stupid hate post on Thomas for years. You are a untruthful, unknowledgable kid. Yes, you had to change your tune because Thomas proved you wrong. But that dont hide the fact of your feelings or your lies. Now go get 32 minutes for arguing offsides!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

And PBergeron. Where you said if Crosby was offered for Thomas! That's where Shero would lose his job! Not only is that non-debatable, it's completely unrealistic. In sports anybody can be traded. What I'm saying is even with Thomas at his peak. The B's would not be able to get someone as valuable to them as TT is to them. He's on pace to win 3 to 4 trophy's this year. The Conn Smythe being the most important. The B's will NEVER get the value. I already said this past summer that if a Jeff Carter, Bobby Ryan, Getzlaf type player came knocking? That's an investment that PC would have to take a look at. None of these players would be offered & that's the value TT is worth right now!
    NAS, Bookboy, Sandog & Legion say something about this foolish talk will ya's! Make these people listen to reason!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade value on Thomas may be at its peak!!! : I have been away protecting you. As far as hating Rask, it's the hate Timmy post from lowlifes like pbergeron I really hate. This post is beyond stupid. The Bruins have the best  goalie in the league right now, yet idiots rag on him, or say trade. All too have a guy with less then sixty games take over full time, a guy that couldn't handle half a year, a guy that was too tired too perform in the second round, a guy with barely a .500 winning record in the Nhl, a guy that pulled of the greatest choke ever. It is moronic too suggest that Rask is anywhere near ready for the starters roll, he failed. Timmys the best hope of seeing a cup in Boston, I for one want too have the chance too see the cup in Boston. I also really don't care if you like my post, you shoot I shoot back, plain and simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by notacryingwino[/QUOTE]
    See what I mean.Nobody is "shooting".You are ultra-confrontational and that's fine for you I suppose but you're anti-Rask rants are bordering on the edge of trolling.If that's what you're looking to do it's working.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

[QUOTE]first, notacryingwhino. Yes, last year I wanted Thomas gone, he absolutely proved me wrong and I have no problem saying that without trying to attack everyone. You clearly haven't read any of my recent posts, and alls I'm saying is that you should check those out before you comment like you have. I'm totally pro Thomas right now, he should be playing as much as possible as he is playing great. HOWEVER, his value is at its recent peak, all I'm saying is that they should see waht the market is, and see if they get the right offer. Nitemare, don't worry, I know how unrealistic it is, but once you answer the question, I'll be able to make a point. Would you trade Thomas for Crosby and 5 first round draft picks, yes or no? whino you can answer too if you want to be more civil and WAY more coherent
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]Glad to see you admit you were wrong.The fact you admit this, I commend you. As far as peak trade value,Thomas is playing at top cup value. That to me is far more important then a future draft pick. As far as commenting on a unrealistic trade scenerio, I wont be drawn into that game.I will say I would trade any current Bruin for Crosby and five first round picks. In fact I would trade any two Bruins for that deal. There is nothing wrong with the Bruins goaltending situation,if its not broke dont fix it.As long as you keep the you betters out of your post,I will gladly have civil discussions with you.I do believe we are on the same side,with different view points.I wont be intimadated,you most likely feel the same.Trading Thomas would be a big mistake,with this years additions,others being warehoused makes far more sense.I would send Sturm and Pallie packing,I believe this would cover the cap problems.Bottom line,lets just win a cup in Boston,and root for the players capable of making it happen.This includes both goalies.We have had many social debates,lets keep it that way. Go Bruins!!!!!!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

[QUOTE]okay so you agree that you would trade thomas for crosby and 5 firsts, so we agree in principle that searching for the right deal for Thomas is okay, now were just haggling over price
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]But you are playing word games,and impossible scenerios.If that's the right deal, sure I will agree.No one is untouchable. If the Pens offered Crosby and five number ones,for A.O.,I am sure they would have to make that trade to.I cannot think of a team sport,where something like the trade your suggesting,would not happen.To bad with the cap era,the best we could expect is a draft pick,and there are zero right deals for that!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbruin4. Show mrbruin4's posts

Hey   I have an idea let us trade away the Best player in the  NHL right now. for a 4th rd pick.   What a stupid post. TT IS ON FIRE ride him to the cup

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

[QUOTE]the point i'm making is if the right value trade comes along, you have to look into it. it isn't ludicrous or ridiculous to suggest, as many posters here have said
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]You don't find a mock trade involving,Crosby and five first rounders ridiculous? Even if this offer was made,how would the Bruins fit him under the cap?Very unrealistic point IMHO.The only reason too trade would be for cap relief,and as I said there are far better options,then trading the Nhls best goalie!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade value on Thomas may be at its peak!!! : first off, although thomas has the best stats in the league, and may well be playing better than anyone in the league, i can think of some goalies i'd rather have than him. Secondly you are still missing the point. You have agreed that there are some trades that involve tim thomas that would benefit the bruins no? then why on earth is it ridiculous to field offers and discuss the possibility of trading him?
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]
    You"re out of control! Right now there's no other goalie I'd rather have than Thomas, because right now he's the BEST goalie in the league! Stats are facts & facts don't lie. Everybody on here already knows there's other goalie's you'd rather have!Everybody knows you're a TT hater/basher who is just chompin at the bit for Thomas to have a slump so you can get all over it! And say "SEE,SEE WE SHOULD'VE TRADED HIM WHEN WE HAD THE CHANCE!" blah,blah,blah........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade value on Thomas may be at its peak!!! : first off, although thomas has the best stats in the league, and may well be playing better than anyone in the league, i can think of some goalies i'd rather have than him. Secondly you are still missing the point. You have agreed that there are some trades that involve tim thomas that would benefit the bruins no? then why on earth is it ridiculous to field offers and discuss the possibility of trading him?
    Name one thats playing better than Thomas right now? Let's be honest here, the Bruins haven't been playing a full 60 minutes in very many games so far this year. Thomas is making his Team look better than they really are, at this point in the season. Give Thomas his props, he's playing lights out right now! Unless PC gets An offer that blows him away, Tank isn't going anywhere.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]You admit without realizing it,Thomas is the best goalie in the league right now.You proposed a play station 3 trade,that is farfetched as well as foolish.Ask me about a real possibility,and the answer is a simple no.But you live in the video game world,and trying to make a impossible trade scenerio,to prove a point you don't have.This trade would never be proposed so your point is invalid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade value on Thomas may be at its peak!!! : You admit without realizing it,Thomas is the best goalie in the league right now.You proposed a play station 3 trade,that is farfetched as well as foolish.Ask me about a real possibility,and the answer is a simple no.But you live in the video game world,and trying to make a impossible trade scenerio,to prove a point you don't have.This trade would never be proposed so your point is invalid.
    Posted by notacryingwino[/QUOTE]
    Thank YOU Not!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

good god almighty, have you read anything i've posted? you are making stuff up. Go back and read it if you care to have a discussion with me. Lastly, I want the bruins to win, no matter how it happens.
    Yes I have read EVERYTHING you've posted! Including the Pitts game where you were giving it to TT for allowing a goal. The game where he faced 18 shots in the first period & kept the score within reach! So, yes I read everything you post & how you & your TT haters clan; Just cannot wait for the TT's wheels to fall off & you can come on here & say "SEE I WAS RIGHT!' That's all that's important to you! And where you say you want to see the B's to win no matter how it happens? If that's true than, why in the good god almighty would you be throwing out fantasy trades right from NHL 11 & to try & get rid of the player that's right now in the race for the Hart Trophy with Stamkos!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Think about the actual benefit trading TT, would be for the bruins.
    They would not have to lose Ryder...umm...Yippee?
    Sorry, but if it comes down to a choice of keeping Thomas or Ryder, I choose TT every time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Ok, I already said that if PC had options of a Getzlaf, a Carter & I'll even throw in a Shea Weber. PC would certainly have to do what he could to make it happen. Anything less than that & it's not a discussion. So, we know none of the above players, or players of that caliber are available. So, that means that no team is willing, or needs to match TT's value. So, TT's stock isn't as high as it's going to get, because none of these type of players will be involved in the trade! The B's are already set for the long term. They may already have to move some of the future because of cap issues. So the other teams can't match TT's value because the value is more than what TT is making now anyways. So, there's no sense in talking about IF's offers come on in that maximizes TT's value. No teams will be offering the maximium. So end of discussion. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

Thomas has two seasons left at 5 million on his contract.  That has to be factored in when thinking what his trade value is.   If it were two more seasons at 3.5 million, I think that teams would be knocking down the door with offers for Thomas.   At 5 million however, there are few teams that want to invest that much, especially when you look at what happened with Antti Niemi, Marty Turco, and others this offseason.

Some teams have taken to the belief that you shouldn't invest big bucks in net.

Personally, I don't think Thomas is a tradable asset because of the salary.  Rask however would be worth a small fortune.   Would trading Rask and Ryder together for a combination of draft picks, prospects, and a legit backup be worth entertaining?   I love Rask, and would want him to stay, but having Thomas for 2 more years after this one and Rask due for a healthy raise in the same year as Thomas's final year means we will have to do something before then anyway.

Finally, just because it is fun to torment toronto fans, would something along the lines of the following be worth debating:

Ryder, Rask and Boston 2nd 2011   for    Toronto first in 2012 (ha ha ha) + Gustavsson + either Schenn or Kardi

Toronto gets some scoring help, a very significant upgrade in goal and a pick this summer.   Boston gets another (hopefully top 10) first rounder, an average backup, and a top flight youngster.      This would also likely lower the chances of Boston getting a top 5 in the draft this offseason with the Leafs pick.

I doubt either team would do this, but it's fun to sometimes throw these things out there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from airbus01. Show airbus01's posts

Hey, Lucic's trade value is at an all time high, let's trade him too!  Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade value on Thomas may be at its peak!!! : No. ummmm no.

haha I was going to say it but I decided meh not even worth it. Trade Rask back to Tor for the Monster lol that would be different homebrew.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Hey, Lucic's trade value is at an all time high, let's trade him too! 
    Posted by airbus01[/QUOTE]
    All jokes aside,TT is 36 and playing out maybe(likely)his last contract.Once again,I am neither for nor against trading TT but I understand why people are throwing the idea around.I like our goaltending at 6.5m bot I also understand PC has to move cash somewhere.Regardless of who moves for what,there will be some unhappy Bruins fans when this all shakes out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

ok.... PB37 has a point, as do all the PB37 bashers...

But..  Thomas' play this season is unreal.  It would take a helluva lot to make it worthwhile for the B's to deal him.  But if somebody comes knocking on PCs door, of course he's gonna listen.

We all know Crosby +5 picks is ridiculous, so use a slightly(?) more realistic hypothesis.  Imagine that a team like Atlanta really, really, really, really feels that they need to make the playoffs and the TT would make it happen.  If they came to PC and said "Here's a proposal that helps your cap, and upgrades your player roster...  let's start with Byfuglien + Mason (4.85M) for Thomas & Ryder(9M) and see if we can make it work somehow..."

PB37's point is just that PC should listen and explore.  That's all he's brought up in this post.  Let's keep the discussion there. 

Would PC want to give up the top goalie in the league this year?  Not really.

But he does have to make some roster moves to save $$.  He owes it to the franchise to consider any option that may improve the team.

It's very difficult to see how the team can improve by losing Thomas (and I certainly don't want to see him traded this season), but PC's job is to look at all options and decide which ones are best- both short term and long term.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Here is what I dont understand:

Only a FEW people are looking at Thomas' numbers over his entire career.  Those are the guys (myself included) who have praised him from day 1 and I dont think you get rid of him.  Let him stay for the duration of his contract and retire a Bruin.  PC gave him the contract after his Vezina season and you can say its been a dissapointment.  He was injured last year and still managed decent numbers - 43gms 17wins 18 losses, 2.56gaa, .915sv%. 5so's and an Olympic roster spot.  Timmy has been a GREAT player his entire career, going back to college. 

I dont think you trade away your best player because he is on a contract that the GM felt he deserved (rightfully so) and has a couple years left on it and is playing his best hockey ever.

Thomas is NOT a 36 year-old NHL goalie.  He has played 274 NHL games.  Roberto Luongo is 31 with 612 games.  So really, Timmys phsyical health is probably similar to a 28-30 year old, and I say that because he is 36, but with today medicine and his lack of time in the NHL, youve got to give him some years. 

As of right now, I dont see why Timmy doesnt play out the remainder of his contract here.  They wanted him, they got him, he signed and he is DOMINATING.  You cant ask for more.  Anything can happen to anyone at anytime, but I think Timmy is untouchable.  He is too important.  He is a KEY piece of the puzzle here.  Especially with the current team, staff and style. 

If he goes, where do you get a TRUE #1 to replace him, and at what cost?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]Here is what I dont understand: Only a FEW people are looking at Thomas' numbers over his entire career.  Those are the guys (myself included) who have praised him from day 1 and I dont think you get rid of him.  Let him stay for the duration of his contract and retire a Bruin.  PC gave him the contract after his Vezina season and you can say its been a dissapointment.  He was injured last year and still managed decent numbers - 43gms 17wins 18 losses, 2.56gaa, .915sv%. 5so's and an Olympic roster spot.  Timmy has been a GREAT player his entire career, going back to college.  I dont think you trade away your best player because he is on a contract that the GM felt he deserved (rightfully so) and has a couple years left on it and is playing his best hockey ever. Thomas is NOT a 36 year-old NHL goalie.  He has played 274 NHL games.  Roberto Luongo is 31 with 612 games.  So really, Timmys phsyical health is probably similar to a 28-30 year old, and I say that because he is 36, but with today medicine and his lack of time in the NHL, youve got to give him some years.  As of right now, I dont see why Timmy doesnt play out the remainder of his contract here.  They wanted him, they got him, he signed and he is DOMINATING.  You cant ask for more.  Anything can happen to anyone at anytime, but I think Timmy is untouchable.  He is too important.  He is a KEY piece of the puzzle here.  Especially with the current team, staff and style.  If he goes, where do you get a TRUE #1 to replace him, and at what cost?
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

Rask Looked like a true #1 last night. But I am completely against trading Timmy. He has done his best with a rotation he is not an everynight goalie like RMiller but he is dominant if he gets a 2-1 or 3-1 rotation going. THats where Rask comes in and dominates his one or 2 games. Then when Timmy slows down Rask is peaking and Rask is resigned and Rask plays 2-1 or 3-1 and Timmy shuts down in the 1-2 games he plays in the rotation. It really is genius.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

[QUOTE]Here is what I dont understand: Only a FEW people are looking at Thomas' numbers over his entire career.  Those are the guys (myself included) who have praised him from day 1 and I dont think you get rid of him.  Let him stay for the duration of his contract and retire a Bruin.  PC gave him the contract after his Vezina season and you can say its been a dissapointment.  He was injured last year and still managed decent numbers - 43gms 17wins 18 losses, 2.56gaa, .915sv%. 5so's and an Olympic roster spot.  Timmy has been a GREAT player his entire career, going back to college.  I dont think you trade away your best player because he is on a contract that the GM felt he deserved (rightfully so) and has a couple years left on it and is playing his best hockey ever. Thomas is NOT a 36 year-old NHL goalie.  He has played 274 NHL games.  Roberto Luongo is 31 with 612 games.  So really, Timmys phsyical health is probably similar to a 28-30 year old, and I say that because he is 36, but with today medicine and his lack of time in the NHL, youve got to give him some years.  As of right now, I dont see why Timmy doesnt play out the remainder of his contract here.  They wanted him, they got him, he signed and he is DOMINATING.  You cant ask for more.  Anything can happen to anyone at anytime, but I think Timmy is untouchable.  He is too important.  He is a KEY piece of the puzzle here.  Especially with the current team, staff and style.  If he goes, where do you get a TRUE #1 to replace him, and at what cost?
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

I certainly agree with you for the next two seasons.  The issue arises when Rask gets a new deal.  If Rask pans out and signs for anywhere north of a $4M cap hit, then you are carrying a lot of $$ in the cage.  That just may not be feasible.