Trades are a coming. Hartnell Down!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Trades are a coming. Hartnell Down!

Hartnell for Umberger.  Great deal for Columbus in my opinion.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Re: Trades are a coming. Hartnell Down!

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hartnell for Umberger.  Great deal for Columbus in my opinion.  

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Kinda surprised to see Hartnell go.  He's pretty loved in Philly, no?

Good trade.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

He was mr philly flyer....if it were a cap deal i could see it.  But the contracts are pretty much identical.    Rj isnt a terrible player but he doesnt bring to the plate what hartnell does.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Considering they come for the same price....philly got robbed here. Maybe there is something going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I would definitely prefer Hartnell, though Umberger is nothing to sneeze at.  Fans of CBJ gotta like this deal though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from madalton. Show madalton's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Considering they come for the same price....philly got robbed here. Maybe there is something going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to?

Hartnell has 2 more years to his contract.

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Not sure why Philly would do this. Umberger's contract ends sooner, so maybe that's it? Or maybe Philly will trade Umberger for picks so basically they will have taken a 2-step approach to dumping Hartnell's contract. Maybe making cap room for a run at a UFA. Or Hextall is an idiot?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not sure why Philly would do this. Umberger's contract ends sooner, so maybe that's it? Or maybe Philly will trade Umberger for picks so basically they will have taken a 2-step approach to dumping Hartnell's contract. Maybe making cap room for a run at a UFA. Or Hextall is an idiot?

[/QUOTE]

Or maybe Philly has another trade in the works to diminish their cap & to help snag Iginla?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Or maybe Hartnell's wife is still a trollop and they can't afford to watch the offending player(s) win Stanley Cups with other teams?

Otherwise this makes zero sense to me

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Or maybe Philly has another trade in the works to diminish their cap & to help snag Iginla?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I mentioned that but wasn't thinking of Iginla specifically. Hmmm...He'd be an upgrade to Giroux's line so maybe that's their end game.

The deal in and of itself doesn't make much sense for Philly so I suspect it's part of something bigger they have in mind. The timing of the trade, pre-draft, also indicates they may have something up their sleeve. Or Hextall is an idiot :P

[object HTMLDivElement]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

1. Philly needs to get better up the middle, so they ship out a wing for a C.

2. Other than the one year where Hartnell chased 40, their stats aren't that different. 

3. Umberger is heavier and more physical - that is, he delivers hits without falling down.

4. Philly needs to commit to getting and staying younger. Umberger is no younger than Hartnell, but he's a different kind of player who will contribute a lot in a second or third line role rather than taking up ice on the top line.  I think you see Couturier or Schenn with Giroux and Voracek next year.

5. Philly isn't going to sign Iginla.  He's a RW.  They have Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, and Read who are all scoring RWs.  They need a LW or three, especially after trading Hartnell.

Barbara Streisand is a perfect example of a player who makes a lot of noise getting more credit than his game warrants.  0 for the playoffs last year, and other than 2009-10, not much of a playoff producer at any time in his career.

Are you not entertained?!?!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Watching NHL Network this morning and Button & Dave Reid were talking about how Hextall would be looking to build (re-build) the Flyers through the draft, less trading than Holmgren.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Maybe I'm undervaluing Umberger.  Maybe I'm overvaluing Hartnell.  I don't know.  It seems to me to be a terrible deal for Philly.

So I love it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Think I'm with the majority opinion here.  I think Umberger's best days are behind him and he seems more and more like the floating mercenary type.  Good skater with good size but never really seems to put it all together.

Hartnell is probably over-rated but he seemed to be a pretty good cog for the Flyers.  Maybe Simmonds gives them enough net-front presence so that Hartnell is becoming less needed to do his thing (irritate the goalie, tips, rebounds)

We probably need a separate thread specifically addressing who slept with who's wife, leading to this trade...

But for now, I'm gonna go with the Schenn brothers, doubling up on Ms. Hartnell, in the video room, with a Shake Weight.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Crowls, call me crazy, but up front?  The Flyers don't need to "re-build". They need to consolidate a nucleus of forwards under the age of 27.  Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek, Couturier, Brayden Schenn, Matt Read - that's not a bad top 7 including Umberger, and other than Umberger, they're, on balance, closer to their teens than their 30s.

They need depth and they need defense.  If they plan to address this through the draft, all of those guys will be 30 by the time drafted defensemen are ready to play at Giroux's level.  I'm fine with them going this route, but it would be far, far goofier than trading Hartnell for Umburger.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

On balance this trade doesn't seem to do much for Philly. I don't think they are really any better or worse for swapping curlylocks for umberger. So why do it? Because they also got a 4th round pick? Probably not. Because they're Philly? Probably.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Trade makes zero sense for the Flyers.  They have needed defensive help for the past 10 years!  Hartnell could have been a good chip to get a serviceable D-man.  On another note, I wish I could go to this year's Bluejacket's annual wife's Holiday party just to see the likes of Hartnell and Horton's  wives dressed up in their skimpy Santa outfits. 

Luc Dufour was as tough as Nails.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But for now, I'm gonna go with the Schenn brothers, doubling up on Ms. Hartnell, in the video room, with a Shake Weight.

[/QUOTE]

The London Bridge with the Schenn's will be out around Christmas time!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Watching NHL Network this morning and Button & Dave Reid were talking about how Hextall would be looking to build (re-build) the Flyers through the draft, less trading than Holmgren.

[/QUOTE]

I wish the Bruins would have done better at this. They had an excellent opportunity to continue stock piling and maybe we would not be talking about their window at a next cup closing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

The Marchand trade will be announced with the next 72 hours

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 3 more Cups by 2020

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

within

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

I wouldnt be surprised to see Marchand going to SJ with another player for Marleau and B's exchanging draft ranks with SJ 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Marchand trade will be announced with the next 72 hours

[/QUOTE]

No it wont.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So I guess...Johansen between Hartnell and Horton?

...sorry, MRS Hartnell and MRS Horton....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Puzzling deal by Hextall, great snag by CBJ. I'd look out for the Blue Jackets they have a pretty solid team.