Trading Partners

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Trading Partners

Taking a look over the years who have been our best trading partners in the league? Are there any trends? Would there be a good team this year to aim to trade with? What factors play into making a good trading partner? What other teams have needs that we can fill in trade? Does anyone know?

Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Patrice Bergeron traditions die hard in Boston

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Re: Trading Partners

The leafs have been great for us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I know the Bruins have gotten the better of Panthers with two separate trades;

To FLA- Craig Weller and Byron Bitz.  To BOS- Dennis Seidenberg and Matt Bartkowski

To FLA- Dennis Wideman (i believe there was a pick involved as well. To BOS- Nate Horton and Greg Campbell.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

To FLA- Craig Weller and Byron Bitz.  To BOS- Dennis Seidenberg and Matt Bartkowski

To FLA- Dennis Wideman (i believe there was a pick involved as well. To BOS- Nate Horton and Greg Campbell.

I'm no G.M but I'd call Florida.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Calgary, Islanders, Ottawa, and San Jose seem to be the teams looking for defense. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I honestly don't even know which trade is worse, The Wideman one, or the Bitz one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I honestly don't even know which trade is worse, The Wideman one, or the Bitz one.

EDIT: Apologies for the double post, not sure how that happened.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Why does Blake Wheeler come up in the top ten list of RW every time I do a search?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Also Brent Burns who I read they are moving him to defense?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Well there's history and then there's the present.  

In the past, the Bruins have made a lot of deals with the Oil, it seems to me.  Moog for Ranford and Courtnall.  Guerin and a pick for Carter and two picks (one was Ales Hemsky).  Ranford for Jerkoffsky, Brown and a pick (god, I hated that one at the time).  Samsonov for Reasoner, Yann Stastny and a pick (Lucic!).  LA seemed to come up more than a few times, and, of course, there was that window in time when every good player on the Rangers became a Bruin.  Ancien regime stuff, though.  Chiarelli's done business with Carolina, Florida, Dallas, Calgary (shudder), Toronto, and St Louis.  Even then, though, the guys who he'd have worked with have largely changed seats.  It would have been great to have that collection of morons back in Tampa Bay so Chiarelli could trade Hamill, Caron, and some of Ryan Button's used gear for St. Louis and a first round pick, but after Recchi and a second for a bunch of nothing prospects, they were a bit to obviously incompetent.

I wonder if the lack of impactful trades has anything to do with Chiarelli not having the same relationships with the guys now in the chairs.  Now he's the GM of a Cup winning team, the guy with a fair amount of tenure and likely a fair amount of security, who can make you look bad if you're not careful.  I'd bet a lot of less experienced GMs are hesitant to make deals with him.

Now, that said, anyone's a potential trade partner if they have a player you want, and you have assets they'd like.  My advice to PC (tell him when you see him, Stanley) is figure out who's stupidest and plunder their roster.

Are you not entertained?!?!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Book you really are amazing with the stats. Bravo man. That helped a lot and reminded me of the good and the bad trades and partners. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

You can certainly eliminate some teams that the Bruins won't trade with or can you ?

Buffalo, in the division, never would think of putting Paille on their PK or checking lines. The Sabres viewed Daniel as a failure. You really could eliminate teams in the Eastern Conference though. Chiarelli isn't going to dissect Yzerman like he did to Lawton - Recchi and 2nd was pure robbery. Boychuk would never go to the Quins or the Rags. I don't think Snow would help strengthen one of the better Eastern teams but he did make a swap another cellar dweller Buffalo.

But I would still call Tallon though. I want the internet to choke from BDC blowing up with "Caron to Florida", Oh happy day!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

The seidenberg trade was better for boston by a mile. One was a decent puck moving d man and the 15th overall for a fourth liner and a good winger. The other was nothing and a pick for a number 2 d man and a good prospect

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Dennis Seidenberg trade one of the best trades we have made. Hard to tell though without some longevity on the recent trades. We may say the same thing about some other guys in the future.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

NAS would have to move to Tampa given that remark.  

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

You can certainly eliminate some teams that the Bruins won't trade with or can you ?

Buffalo, in the division, never would think of putting Paille on their PK or checking lines. The Sabres viewed Daniel as a failure. You really could eliminate teams in the Eastern Conference though. Chiarelli isn't going to dissect Yzerman like he did to Lawton - Recchi and 2nd was pure robbery. Boychuk would never go to the Quins or the Rags. I don't think Snow would help strengthen one of the better Eastern teams but he did make a swap another cellar dweller Buffalo.

But I would still call Tallon though. I want the internet to choke from BDC blowing up with "Caron to Florida", Oh happy day!

[object HTMLDivElement]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Different General Managers so it really has no relevance, besides, who does Florida have that they would deal?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I wonder if the lack of impactful trades has anything to do with Chiarelli not having the same relationships with the guys now in the chairs.  Now he's the GM of a Cup winning team, the guy with a fair amount of tenure and likely a fair amount of security, who can make you look bad if you're not careful.  I'd bet a lot of less experienced GMs are hesitant to make deals with him.

victim of his own success... I feel better about Boston's position already.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Well there's history and then there's the present.  

In the past, the Bruins have made a lot of deals with the Oil, it seems to me.  Moog for Ranford and Courtnall.  Guerin and a pick for Carter and two picks (one was Ales Hemsky).  Ranford for Jerkoffsky, Brown and a pick (god, I hated that one at the time).  Samsonov for Reasoner, Yann Stastny and a pick (Lucic!).  LA seemed to come up more than a few times, and, of course, there was that window in time when every good player on the Rangers became a Bruin.  Ancien regime stuff, though.  Chiarelli's done business with Carolina, Florida, Dallas, Calgary (shudder), Toronto, and St Louis.  Even then, though, the guys who he'd have worked with have largely changed seats.  It would have been great to have that collection of morons back in Tampa Bay so Chiarelli could trade Hamill, Caron, and some of Ryan Button's used gear for St. Louis and a first round pick, but after Recchi and a second for a bunch of nothing prospects, they were a bit to obviously incompetent.

Now, that said, anyone's a potential trade partner if they have a player you want, and you have assets they'd like.  My advice to PC (tell him when you see him, Stanley) is figure out who's stupidest and plunder their roster.

Are you not entertained?!?!

If I was a rookie gm and chiarelli asked for a minor league d man of mine, I wouldn't trade that player unless something unreal is coming the other way

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

PC fleeced Florida twice.  But for all-time fleecings, look no further than the trade in '86 with Vancouver - Barry Pederson for Cam.  It became the gift that kept giving:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/01/bruins-continue-to-reap-rewards-of-cam-neely-trade-with-vancouver-25-years-later/ ;

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

If I was a rookie gm and chiarelli asked for a minor league d man of mine, I wouldn't trade that player unless something unreal is coming the other way

A bit of exaggeration there.I think the Boychuks and McQuaids are rarer than guys like Brett Skinner, Sean Zimmerman, Valabik, Colby Cohen, and Cody Wild. If Warsofsky works out that's great because Sobotka has done well for the Blues. I'm very happy with PC's trade history but he's had some swings and misses along the way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

A bit of exaggeration there.I think the Boychuks and McQuaids are rarer than guys like Brett Skinner, Sean Zimmerman, Valabik, Colby Cohen, and Cody Wild. If Warsofsky works out that's great because Sobotka has done well for the Blues. I'm very happy with PC's trade history but he's had some swings and misses along the way.

His analysis of young d men has been spot on. A lot of the busts were throw ins or very minor trades

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

His analysis of young d men has been spot on. A lot of the busts were throw ins or very minor trades

Again, "spot on" isn't exactly right. He traded Hunwick for Cohen. One of them has appeared in almost 300 NHL games. The other played in 3. If Valabik was "just a throw in" then Wheeler and Stuart is a lot to give up for Peverley. PC is very good at plucking young D-men from other clubs but he's just not perfect.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Again, "spot on" isn't exactly right. He traded Hunwick for Cohen. One of them has appeared in almost 300 NHL games. The other played in 3. If Valabik was "just a throw in" then Wheeler and Stuart is a lot to give up for Peverley. PC is very good at plucking young D-men from other clubs but he's just not perfect.

Never said he was. Peverley had insane value because of his cap hit that year. Hunwick wasn't good. He traded a guy that wasn't good, and wasn't ever going to crack their lineup for a guy who wasn't good, but had an outside shot of developing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Hunwick has appeared in 292 NHL games. He just signed another NHL contract. He's not as bad as you're suggesting.

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

And Hunwick was a 7th rounder to boot. That is way overachieving!

Sections
Shortcuts