Transitional thoughts - Olympics to the Stretch Run

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Transitional thoughts - Olympics to the Stretch Run

Going back over the last couple of weeks of posting about the Olympics, one thing really struck me.  How in the world do we, as Bruins fans, not recognize our own team when we're watching it on hockey's biggest world stage?  Compare:

* Bruins need a sniper.  I'd feel a lot better if they had a guy like Bobby Ryan who's a natural goal scorer.

* Bruins sure could use Kessel/Seguin/Wheeler/ex-girlfriend of your choice right now; look at how many goals they've scored!

* It's embarrassing that the Bruins barely get by the also-rans.  Not elite at all.

* Pittsburgh/Detroit/Chicago/SJ/Anaheim are way more talented than the Bruins; the Bruins can't win against them unless they get X,Y,Z.

and

* What a bunch of prima donnas!  Can't score more than two goals against Latvia?  Barely get enough to beat Norway?  Their best player has the same number of goals as NAS!

* USA is the class of the tournament.  Kessel sure has a lot of goals against Slovenia.  Bet Canada wishes he would move to Toronto and become a naturalized citizen.

* Should have brought different players like Seguin and Johansen and played St Louis more and Subban more to get more offense.

* It's embarrassing that Canada isn't scoring a ton of goals.  Finland is totally going to win the gold.

See what I mean?  Now, Kel has his thread on Price, and yes, Price was good.  But this was a total team effort - absolutely complete.  All of Canada's goals in the gold medal game resulted from defensive work by the forwards. Bergeron set the tone in the first 10 mintues with half a dozen great defensive plays in the offensive zone leading to chances.  Canada didn't score a million goals because they had faith in their ability to score more than the opposition. They controlled play in every game.  They didn't take chances, or, when they did, they were calculated risks.  They played for W's.  And, though NAS was just talking trash, calling a bunch of guys who are superstars in the league (Kunitz excepted) prima donnas when they basically all subjugated their egos to the good of the team?  Well, that's exactly the opposite of a diva.  So Kessel is named forward of the tournament (how does a guy whose team is shut out in the games that matter and who has one assist against contenders in total end up forward of the tournament?  Is marco voting?) and leads the tourney in goals, and Karlsson is D of the tournament despite the Bruins Canadians exposing him almost as often as the Bruins did in the last game before the break, and Lundqvist is somehow goalie of the tournament because Price having the a half goal/game GAA and .970+ s% to lead the tourney in both categories is chalked up to the team in front of him.

Can I make a suggestion?  Can we just point at the undefeated Canadian gold-medal team and the 4-0 combined score of their medal games the next time someone wants to go on and on about how the Bruins do things wrong and should have kept players putting up flashy stats on other teams?  Can we point out that playing the way they did to own the world meant the consensus best player in the world didn't score for 5 games and finished with 1 goal, so maybe individual goal total isn't all that relevant?  Case, or Kess in point: Phil led the tournament in goals with more than Toews, Crosby, Tavares, Nash, Bergeron, Perry, and Getzlaf combined.  That's about $60M per year of top flight NHL talent.  I hope he got copies of the game sheets against the lesser lights, because those and his passport stamp are all he's taking home.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Transitional thoughts - Olympics to the Stretch Run

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's embarrassing that Canada isn't scoring a ton of goals.  

So Kessel is named forward of the tournament (how does a guy whose team is shut out in the games that matter and who has one assist against contenders in total end up forward of the tournament?  Is marco voting?) and leads the tourney in goals

Like Babcock said when asked about his teams offence," i don't know who won the scoring race but i know who won the Gold medal" and basically thats all anyone will remember.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Maybe that's the problem, 50.  More and more, people are remembering scoring totals and not Ws.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Going back over the last couple of weeks of posting about the Olympics, one thing really struck me.  How in the world do we, as Bruins fans, not recognize our own team when we're watching it on hockey's biggest world stage?  Compare:

* Bruins need a sniper.  I'd feel a lot better if they had a guy like Bobby Ryan who's a natural goal scorer.

* Bruins sure could use Kessel/Seguin/Wheeler/ex-girlfriend of your choice right now; look at how many goals they've scored!

* It's embarrassing that the Bruins barely get by the also-rans.  Not elite at all.

* Pittsburgh/Detroit/Chicago/SJ/Anaheim are way more talented than the Bruins; the Bruins can't win against them unless they get X,Y,Z.

and

* What a bunch of prima donnas!  Can't score more than two goals against Latvia?  Barely get enough to beat Norway?  Their best player has the same number of goals as NAS!

* USA is the class of the tournament.  Kessel sure has a lot of goals against Slovenia.  Bet Canada wishes he would move to Toronto and become a naturalized citizen.

* Should have brought different players like Seguin and Johansen and played St Louis more and Subban more to get more offense.

* It's embarrassing that Canada isn't scoring a ton of goals.  Finland is totally going to win the gold.

See what I mean?  Now, Kel has his thread on Price, and yes, Price was good.  But this was a total team effort - absolutely complete.  All of Canada's goals in the gold medal game resulted from defensive work by the forwards. Bergeron set the tone in the first 10 mintues with half a dozen great defensive plays in the offensive zone leading to chances.  Canada didn't score a million goals because they had faith in their ability to score more than the opposition. They controlled play in every game.  They didn't take chances, or, when they did, they were calculated risks.  They played for W's.  And, though NAS was just talking trash, calling a bunch of guys who are superstars in the league (Kunitz excepted) prima donnas when they basically all subjugated their egos to the good of the team?  Well, that's exactly the opposite of a diva.  So Kessel is named forward of the tournament (how does a guy whose team is shut out in the games that matter and who has one assist against contenders in total end up forward of the tournament?  Is marco voting?) and leads the tourney in goals, and Karlsson is D of the tournament despite the Bruins Canadians exposing him almost as often as the Bruins did in the last game before the break, and Lundqvist is somehow goalie of the tournament because Price having the a half goal/game GAA and .970+ s% to lead the tourney in both categories is chalked up to the team in front of him.

Can I make a suggestion?  Can we just point at the undefeated Canadian gold-medal team and the 4-0 combined score of their medal games the next time someone wants to go on and on about how the Bruins do things wrong and should have kept players putting up flashy stats on other teams?  Can we point out that playing the way they did to own the world meant the consensus best player in the world didn't score for 5 games and finished with 1 goal, so maybe individual goal total isn't all that relevant?  Case, or Kess in point: Phil led the tournament in goals with more than Toews, Crosby, Tavares, Nash, Bergeron, Perry, and Getzlaf combined.  That's about $60M per year of top flight NHL talent.  I hope he got copies of the game sheets against the lesser lights, because those and his passport stamp are all he's taking home.

You're wrong Price was fantastic! You can't have it both ways Book! You can't type up how the Crosby's & the Perry's didn't score...BUT they bought into the team system & helped win by playing great d & try to base you're argument on that & then say "Price was good.  But." This is a BS post saying this. You obviously don't know how difficult it is to stay focused & sharp when you're not facing constant action. Making a routine save can end up being a big save in those instances. Price was fantastic & for anyone to try & take away his performance is being obtuse. Yes Carey's d & team had a lot to do with his success, but he kept his end of deal too.

Which was..."We're going to play a great defensive system for you & try to make these games as easy as possible Carey. So all we ask of you is for you to stay focused & sharp & make the saves you need to make & also the odd big one when the other team breaks our system down. OK buddy!" 

So he gave up 3 goals in 5 games & stopped over 97% of the shots he got. Routine ones & difficult ones & kept his end of the bargin....There CAN NOT be a BUT anywhere in describing Price's performance! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I think canada went in with a different mind set than usa and other teams. They went with the Defense first that was outstanding, the offense was there, alot of chances every game so give credit where its due and thats the goaltending of the other teams. Quick gave the usa a chance to win but the canadian system prevented there offense from getting quality chances. Its a first for me to see this kind of team in the olympics, and latvia played a similiar style.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"So Kessel is named forward of the tournament (how does a guy whose team is shut out in the games that matter and who has one assist against contenders in total end up forward of the tournament? Toews, Crosby, Tavares, Nash, Bergeron, Perry, and Getzlaf combined"

We are not seeing the 2009 Kessel anymore. There shouldn't be anymore questions about Phat Phil's heart after how he performed against the Bruins in the playoffs last season, he scorched Boston. You are right points and goal wise Kessel out performed all the players you mentioned and deserved the recognition. Kessel not coming back with a medal has nothing to do with his efforts.

But it doesn't mean I want him back nor do I regret the trade, that has been paying off with huge dividends. Hamilton, Eriksson, Smith, Fraser, Knight and Morrow - PC raked it in. Those players are and will keep paying off.

"Chicago/LA/Anaheim/ are way more talented than the Bruins; the Bruins can't win against them unless they get X,Y,Z"

Take as much time as you need and as many threads as you like making a point that the Bruins are fine constituted just the way they are today. Boston will get crushed by any of those teams in a 7 game SCF. That is IF the Bruins get out of the 1st round.

If today's Boston Bruins faced up against Columbus, Toronto or Montreal in the 1st round ?

Today I would give it a 50/50 chance the Bruins come out on top if PC stands pat. That is without any of those teams making a move or not. The only reason I didn't put Detroit in the 1st round mix is it looks like Zetterberg is done.

PS. Guess it depends on where the player is from or what country he plays for, to consider the assist he got in a game or a goal, already up by two goals, was meaningful or not.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

17-3 goals for and against.   Stars bought into roles of 4th line players.  Everyone bought into what was being preached.   I dont think you will ever see a dominant def performance like this.  Im still saying Price was awesome.   Yes he had a great team in front of him but he was perfect.  No mistakes.  everyone kept saying our goalies were a weakness.  They were a strong point.   Price beat rask, quick, king h and in thise 3 games he let one goal in.   the semi final and gold medal games were close in shots on goal.  

complete team effort i agree with.  I hope the nhl players are back in 4 yrs.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"So Kessel is named forward of the tournament (how does a guy whose team is shut out in the games that matter and who has one assist against contenders in total end up forward of the tournament? Toews, Crosby, Tavares, Nash, Bergeron, Perry, and Getzlaf combined"

We are not seeing the 2009 Kessel anymore. There shouldn't be anymore questions about Phat Phil's heart after how he performed against the Bruins in the playoffs last season, he scorched Boston. You are right points and goal wise Kessel out performed all the players you mentioned and deserved the recognition. Kessel not coming back with a medal has nothing to do with his efforts.

But it doesn't mean I want him back nor do I regret the trade, that has been paying off with huge dividends. Hamilton, Eriksson, Smith, Fraser, Knight and Morrow - PC raked it in. Those players are and will keep paying off.

"Chicago/LA/Anaheim/ are way more talented than the Bruins; the Bruins can't win against them unless they get X,Y,Z"

Take as much time as you need and as many threads as you like making a point that the Bruins are fine constituted just the way they are today. Boston will get crushed by any of those teams in a 7 game SCF. That is IF the Bruins get out of the 1st round.

If today's Boston Bruins faced up against Columbus, Toronto or Montreal in the 1st round ?

Today I would give it a 50/50 chance the Bruins come out on top if PC stands pat. That is without any of those teams making a move or not. The only reason I didn't put Detroit in the 1st round mix is it looks like Zetterberg is done.

PS. Guess it depends on where the player is from or what country he plays for, to consider the assist he got in a game or a goal, already up by two goals, was meaningful or not.

Bruins will not win with the current lineup.  I agree with you.   After Chara we are in trouble on the back end.   Up front our 3rd-4th lines werent as deep as chicago.   All the teams Book mentioned are involved in talks with all the big named players available.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Bruins will not win with the current lineup.  I agree with you.   After Chara we are in trouble on the back end.   Up front our 3rd-4th lines werent as deep as chicago.   All the teams Book mentioned are involved in talks with all the big named players available.  

Then i think it is fair to say the B's will not win the cup this year according to everything PC has said up to this point,which is, he is happy with the current roster as constituted but would like to add a depth d-man without subtracting from the current roster.I take that as meaning,no blockbuster moves or Dan Girardi types coming in.I guess we can all dream of Byfuglien,Girardi,Yandle or anyone for that matter but i don't think it will happen.Stuart,N.Schultz,t.Gilbert will likely be more like it.So lets hope the B's have no injuries,great goaltending and get the breaks,because i just don't think a white knight will be coming to Boston before the deadline.The roster is set,imo.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Then i think it is fair to say the B's will not win the cup this year according to everything PC has said up to this point,which is, he is happy with the current roster as constituted but would like to add a depth d-man without subtracting from the current roster.I take that as meaning,no blockbuster moves or Dan Girardi types coming in.I guess we can all dream of Byfuglien,Girardi,Yandle or anyone for that matter but i don't think it will happen.Stuart,N.Schultz,t.Gilbert will likely be more like it.So lets hope the B's have no injuries,great goaltending and get the breaks,because i just don't think a white knight will be coming to Boston before the deadline.The roster is set,imo.

And I'll be happy with that. This team is still built for the play-offs! They know how to win and they'll find a way to do it. IF PC decides to make a move or two; I'm quite certain he knows his team better than us arm chair GM's. I have faith in the brass to make the proper decision's. The other thing that we have to remember is that this team has learned how to win with new personal & callups when it comes to play-off hockey. They've shown it to us & there's no doubt to question their abilities now. Last year they won without their full lineup & as many as 4 different d-men. They won without Seguin & Jagr scoring & with a guy just learning the NA game in Soderberg. Funny how people forget so much in one season. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

No real reply, USA did have a team effort worthy of recognition. Sandog was probably correct, including Felger on CSNNE yesterday, the coaching was horrible.  I will capitulate, Canada had the defensive posture to be the better team against the USA.  Crosby and Bergeron were amazing the last two games of the Olympics. Nice post but it was too erratic for continual reply, i am so guilty of the same caca.  

and

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

That goes against everything ive read recently that said they are looking to add a dman and have been for a while.    I heard the name Hainsey and hes another guy i like.  We need a top 2.  I would settle for a top 4.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

That goes against everything ive read recently that said they are looking to add a dman and have been for a while.    I heard the name Hainsey and hes another guy i like.  We need a top 2.  I would settle for a top 4.  

I agree that the B's are willing and want to add a d-man, they likely will, but i'm willing to bet that it won't be a top 2 guy or even top 4,I've likely read the same thing you have and read all the speculation but from what i've read from PC,he's not willing to give up what it will take to bring in a top 2 guy.Maybe though he can give up a pick & a player from providence for Girardi,who knows. 

Sections
Shortcuts