Traveling Fan Phenomenon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Traveling Fan Phenomenon

Man, I hope the Bruins don't become like the Red Sox, where everyone who lived in Maine for 2 years, a decade ago, starts showing up to games decked out in brand new, sassy looking Bruins gear...

But...the support on the road has been crazy and stronger than any time I can remember.  I'm sure that Tom O'Brien and NAS can attest that the Florida games were overrun with black and gold.  From the bars to hotels to the arena, it felt like homes games all weekend.  Bruin fans seemed loud in Montreal last time.  Friday night in Denver was nothing like previous games I've been to out here (6 years ago, there would a tiny contingent of Bruin fans here, mostly in Red Sox gear).  Bruins fans were louder than the home fans by a healthy margin.  It looked like the same deal in Phoenix last night.

I'm seeing Smith jerseys, Miller jerseys (not Jay), Krug jerseys, Soderberg jerseys.

It's fun to watch, but I also hope the bandwagon doesn't get totally out of control.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: Traveling Fan Phenomenon

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Man, I hope the Bruins don't become like the Red Sox, where everyone who lived in Maine for 2 years, a decade ago, starts showing up to games decked out in brand new, sassy looking Bruins gear...

But...the support on the road has been crazy and stronger than any time I can remember.  I'm sure that Tom O'Brien and NAS can attest that the Florida games were overrun with black and gold.  From the bars to hotels to the arena, it felt like homes games all weekend.  Bruin fans seemed loud in Montreal last time.  Friday night in Denver was nothing like previous games I've been to out here (6 years ago, there would a tiny contingent of Bruin fans here, mostly in Red Sox gear).  Bruins fans were louder than the home fans by a healthy margin.  It looked like the same deal in Phoenix last night.

I'm seeing Smith jerseys, Miller jerseys (not Jay), Krug jerseys, Soderberg jerseys.

It's fun to watch, but I also hope the bandwagon doesn't get totally out of control.  

There was some loud "Go Bruins Go" chants last night when the Bruins tied it. Had to blink twice to see that they were in Phoenix. When the Bruins are here in town, we usually see lots of B's jerseys down at the ACC. And yeah, we try and shout down the homeside crowd. It's not hard to do. Besides the Bruins have given us plenty to shout about when they've come up in recent years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There was some loud "Go Bruins Go" chants last night when the Bruins tied it. Had to blink twice to see that they were in Phoenix. When the Bruins are here in town, we usually see lots of B's jerseys down at the ACC. And yeah, we try and shout down the homeside crowd. It's not hard to do. Besides the Bruins have given us plenty to shout about when they've come up in recent years.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah RHO, it's tougher in Toronto where you got a huge, rabid home fan base.  In places like Florida and Phoenix, the home fans actually seem to get drowned out.  And, as you point out, the Bruins have been making it fun for their fans in every building recently.  Can't tell you how much fun the Friday night game in Denver was.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

A lot of Boston fans come west. San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Phoenix and Denver games are filled with Bruins fans. New England sports fans dominate sports bars out here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm not sure how it is elsewhere these days, but any Panthers home game against Original 6 or popular teams like Philly and Pitt bring out the people in droves.

One of the reasons is a lot of us live here now.  Another one is that the weather up there sucks, so how awesome is a vacation and a hockey game at the same time. 

As for the bangwagon itself, let it grow.  It'll never turn into the Sox and Pats because not nearly as many people like hockey.  Cute chicks in tight fitting B's t-shirts are allowed to wear pink B's hats in my section.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Winning definetly attracts a following,unless your Leaf fans that is, they are everwhere,for what reason I have never understood.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

I think a lot of new fans as a result of the recent Bruins success (Cup win and a trip back to the finals). Great to see the Black & Gold in growing numbers........and especially love it when down @ the ACC!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A lot of Boston fans come west. San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Phoenix and Denver games are filled with Bruins fans. New England sports fans dominate sports bars out here.

[/QUOTE]

Real BRUINS fan follow them to filly.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

The inevitable fate of a winning team... pink hats.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

Funny how Fans in other cities are louder than the home ice Fans.

Notice that alot with Bruins games.

Shows how "fanatic" people are outside the home city

Love the "woooooo" after a Bruins goal in opposing team city

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

One of the reasons is a lot of us live here now.  Another one is that the weather up there sucks, so how awesome is a vacation and a hockey game at the same time.

It's fantastic.  

And I didn't even make it to the beach.  Went to the Yard House in Hallandale Beach after the game and tied one on though.  It was a blast.  Tampa was great too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I live in Florida from November to end of March and when Bruins come over I try to go to at least one game against the Panther and Lightning.

When I get back to Montreal, I refuse to go to the Bell centre, even if the Bruins are in town. I won't give the Molson's one single penny.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not sure how it is elsewhere these days, but any Panthers home game against Original 6 or popular teams like Philly and Pitt bring out the people in droves.

As for the bangwagon itself, let it grow.  It'll never turn into the Sox and Pats because not nearly as many people like hockey.  Cute chicks in tight fitting B's t-shirts are allowed to wear pink B's hats in my section.

[/QUOTE]

LOL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The inevitable fate of a winning team... pink hats.

[/QUOTE]

It happened with the Patriots and the Sox as we all know. I still have my season tickets to the Pats but don't go anywhere near as often. The beers are cheaper and the line to the bathroom is shorter at home but also you don't have to deal with newbies making the rest of the fan base look like idiots by harrassing some family from out of town for daring to root for their team "in our house".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

My experience in Tampa has always been a sea of Black and Gold when the Bs come to town...for some reason it seems our fans are more raucus than usual. When the snowbirds are in Florida all Boston team games seem heavily attended. Chills went down my spine at the last Bs Lightning game...lets go bruins over and over again, louder each time...Boston fans just laughing after each chant...OMG freakin awsome,

It really isn't any different when I go to a Rays game...some people have commented that it is cheaper to fly down to Tampa and attend a game than to go to Fenway. It might be a similar case with hockey in some cities. I saw the Panthers season ticket pricing when I was in Sunrise for the Rookie Challenge last August...I couldn't believe some of their prices...I'd swear you could be homeless and afford to have a season ticket.

I will say it can get a bit nasty...frustrated locals and maassholes (I am one) are a bad combo after the game...I'm there with my wife and kids, head on a swivel. Thousands of people crammed in stairwells many chanting "lets go Bruins" on top of their lungs (in a thick Boston accent, many hammered), typically evoked a lot of f u's and a whole lot of, "why I oughtta". LOL I kept waiting for a fight...and they do happen, but fortunately not too often.

$15.00 a beer doesn't seem to slow anyone down either. Maybe I'm too cheap...I have multiple college tuitions to pay for.

Cheers everyone!

Doc

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Not a lot of B's fans at the St Louis and Chicago games I go to, although its more than it was a few years ago.  Recent success will do that.

Wife and I were warmly received at the Cup Finals Game 1 in Chicago last year, almost like everyone was trying too hard to be "good home fans" but boy, we couldnt get to the car fast enough after the Hawks scored in 3OTs and lots of lots of beers consumed by the locals.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not a lot of B's fans at the St Louis and Chicago games I go to, although its more than it was a few years ago.  Recent success will do that.

Wife and I were warmly received at the Cup Finals Game 1 in Chicago last year, almost like everyone was trying too hard to be "good home fans" but boy, we couldnt get to the car fast enough after the Hawks scored in 3OTs and lots of lots of beers consumed by the locals.

[/QUOTE]

Were you wearing your redwing jersey?   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

Going to see the Bruins play the Wings in Detroit next week, that's always an adventure. Last time I went there in Nov. there was a good turnout of Bruins fans wearing their jerseys.

The self proclaimed "Hockeytown" fans of Detroit aren't the most friendly group to be around if your wearing another teams jersey.  The Wings winning 6-1 made them even more obnoxious.  Don't think I'll hear anything close to what I've heard from Bruins fans on the road the past few games here in Detroit.

It's a Orginal 6 team and vistors aren't welcome.  Haven't gone to a game there yet without hearing a few barbs throw my way for wearing the Bruins jersey. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL! Beat me to it!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Vancouver's always an adventure, even before the Cup, though there's always a sizeable Bruins crowd, you get completely drowned out. It was a different experience at the Jets game this year. I couldn't even hear the Canucks fans, just Go Jets Go.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Buzzinga!

I can't help thinking back to his summer prediction that the Bruins would miss the playoffs now that the Wings were coming to the East.............