Trevor Daley.... the puck mover we are looking for?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bennyskylight. Show bennyskylight's posts

Trevor Daley.... the puck mover we are looking for?

He's making 2.2M and will be UFA next year. Ironically, Wheeler is making 2.2M and will be a RFA next year. Clean swap? I actually like what Wheeler has done this year. His effort is 2nd to none on the team right now, but we desperately need a speedy D-man with some offensive ability. Daley could be that guy. Any thoughts??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Trevor Daley.... the puck mover we are looking for?

Two things:

I know we want to trade Wheeler, but do we have any indication of whether they want to trade Daley??  I doubt it  -- they're thin on D and he is one of their better guys.

The whole point of making moves right now is to cut salary and get under the cap.  This move would provide zero cap relief, right?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bennyskylight. Show bennyskylight's posts

I agree 100% with you regarding salary, but with PC dumping Hunwick, it's pretty obvious that he will need to be replaced. It leaves us with a very big hole in the speed dept coming from the back end. At the same time, we will have too many forwards when Sturm returns, so simply put, a player (or two) from the current roster will have to be removed. The options are Sturm on waivers, Ryder to the Minors, or dare I say it.... Seguin back to Junior. This would actually save us 3.5M worth of cap room and having personally seen him play 4 times live this year and every other game on TV, I think going back to JR and playing in the WJHC would do him a world of good. He definitely shows flares of greatness, but he is weak in the corners and seems to be a bit scared. He is also trying to force way too many passes to make a pretty play.
    Long story short, if Sturm, Ryder or Seguin are not on the roster, there would be more than enough cap space for an even swap (Wheeler for Daley or someone of an equivalent or slightly higher salary)
    Agree??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I really like the idea of adding Daley and I'm glad you brought it up, actually. I know a lot of people on here love Yandle, but Daley might be an easier acquisition for the Bruins. He's been solid his entire career, including internationally for Team Canada, and was even a 2nd round pick in the crazy 2003 draft. I would have to think the Stars would take Wheeler in exchange.

Fletcher, with the trade of Hunwick, the whole point of trades is no longer just to clear cap space. While this is probably priority number one, it is also the reality that PC must address the blue line at some point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Seguin is not $3.5 million against the salary cap, that's the # if we include all of his bonuses - which he will not reach. Sending Seguin to juniors now would waste 1 year of his contract which the Bs would also be stupid to do. Seguin has the speed and shot that the Bs need right now and is only playing center out of necessity given the responsibility Julien's system puts on the center being defensively responsible. Seguin has been pairing with Seguin lately to take advantage of his defensive prowess.

The B's aren't going to trade for a puck moving defenseman 1 for 1 for Wheeler, just isn't happening. The B's would have to give up one of their #1s which I don't foresee happening.

Get used to the D as it is, don't see it getting better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Okay, but a lot of people have argued that the only reason to move Wheeler is to free up cap space.  I agree that if another move is made to cut costs, Wheeler could be dealt for talent instead of $$.

But, I still see no reason why Dallas would do this deal.  They are deep with wingers and very thin on defense.  Daley is a key component to that team.  If I'm in Dallas I wouldn't even consider it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

They should trade Zach Hamill for Daley, but only if Dallas throws in a first round pick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I don't see Dallas staying in the playoff picture much longer, especially if they deal Richards. Working off that assumption, they will probably be looking for young talent with potential, and Wheeler fits that description. We may have to add a little, we may not, but Daley is probably less costly an acquisition than Yandle.