Trivia Time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Trivia Time

Let's test our knowledge (from memory of course). Who was the last Bruins goaltender to win 40 games in a single regular season. The answer may surprise you.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Trivia Time

Peeters.  '82-'83.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JanneyJoyce. Show JanneyJoyce's posts

Since bookboy put the answer down, I'll go one better. He is the ONLY goaltender to win 40 games on that list.

I almost went with Carey because of the "it may surprise you" line, but went with my gut.

Researched it after =p

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JanneyJoyce. Show JanneyJoyce's posts

Oh and ty btw for the diversion this morning. I miss hockey but not the cold weather.

Wishing training camp was here and not wishing it to be here is making me lose my hair.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

What happened with Peeters, anyway? He goes from 40 wins one year to just 19 two years later.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Trivia Time:
    Let's test our knowledge (from memory of course). Who was the last Bruins goaltender to win 40 games in a single regular season. The answer may surprise you.
    Posted by jmwalters

Bring back the frogs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Trivia Time:
    In Response to Trivia Time : Bring back the frogs.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

Heh....Kel did not approve so I had to mix it up. Actually, it was time for a change anyway.

Looks like we have a smart group here. Peeters 82-83 season was one of the best by a B's goalie ever. He had 8 shutouts too, almost unheard of in that era. Of course that team was pretty damn good too. It was one of my favorite B's roster.

Surprisingly, Dafoe is winning the vote, however.

I am thinking Rask will need to win 40 in the upcoming season as well, especially if Khudobin is found to be wanting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

What happened with Peeters, anyway? He goes from 40 wins one year to just 19 two years later.
    Posted by felixwas

The team around him imploded, injuries mostly the cause. Then Sinden decided to mix things up and the B's spent most of the rest of the 80's unable to get out of the first round of the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Trivia Time : The team around him imploded, injuries mostly the cause. Then Sinden decided to mix things up and the B's spent most of the rest of the 80's unable to get out of the first round of the playoffs.
    Posted by jmwalters

Peeter's never played that great in the play-offs after the 1980 season after he led the Flyers to the finals. He was never a great play-off goalie & it was a shocker to see him in the Team Canada's net in the 84' Canada's Cup. In 85' against the Habs; Sinden went with Doug Keans in 4 of the 5 games. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Trivia Time : Peeter's never played that great in the play-offs after the 1980 season after he led the Flyers to the finals. He was never a great play-off goalie & it was a shocker to see him in the Team Canada's net in the 84' Canada's Cup. In 85' against the Habs; Sinden went with Doug Keans in 4 of the 5 games. 
    Posted by nitemare-38

You have a point but he did take the team to the conference finals in 83 and was, as you said, Canada's goalie in 84. That Sinden used Keans in 85 (which was a mistake) and ultimately got rid of Peeters for a Pat Riggin/Doug Keans combo tells me more about Sinden than Peeters (aka $). Plus, injuries ravaged the team for the rest of the Peeters era. Its no coincidence that once the B's finally got a decent goalie in Lemelin and then Moog the team started finding success again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBostonBruins. Show TheBostonBruins's posts

In Response to Trivia Time:
    Posted by jmwalters

Pete Peeters. And umm, no, the answer doesn't surprise me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: Trivia Time : Heh....Kel did not approve so I had to mix it up. Actually, it was time for a change anyway. Looks like we have a smart group here. Peeters 82-83 season was one of the best by a B's goalie ever. He had 8 shutouts too, almost unheard of in that era. Of course that team was pretty damn good too. It was one of my favorite B's roster. Surprisingly, Dafoe is winning the vote, however. I am thinking Rask will need to win 40 in the upcoming season as well, especially if Khudobin is found to be wanting.
    Posted by jmwalters

Yeah, I figured that was where you were going with this and, frankly, I disagree.  First, because 40 wins isn't common.  Only Rinne and Fleury had 40 last year and they played 72 and 67 games.  Hiller and Kiprusoff played 70+ and didn't get there, and Quick played 69 and only got to 35.  Most years, two guys get there; some years, no one does, some years five guys do.  Second, Khudobin is unproven - make no mistake, I'm not stealing Stanley's thunder here - but his record is 5-1-0-1 after 7 NHL starts.  He has shown the ability to win games.  I have to think he'll get 22+ starts unless he proves to be just awful or the Bruins are playing like they did the year they couldn't buy goals.  That might force Claude to play Rask into the ground, but if that is the case, Rask isn't going to win 40 because it would mean the team is playing like garbage. 

Last reason - 7 of 8 playoff teams in the east won 40 games as a team last year.  Ottawa and Washington won 41 and 42 respectively.  If Khudobin plays 22 games and wins just 9 of them, and Rask can get 33 out of 60 (.550), the Bruins will make the playoffs. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Trivia Time : Yeah, I figured that was where you were going with this and, frankly, I disagree.  First, because 40 wins isn't common.  Only Rinne and Fleury had 40 last year and they played 72 and 67 games.  Hiller and Kiprusoff played 70+ and didn't get there, and Quick played 69 and only got to 35.  Most years, two guys get there; some years, no one does, some years five guys do.  Second, Khudobin is unproven - make no mistake, I'm not stealing Stanley's thunder here - but his record is 5-1-0-1 after 7 NHL starts.  He has shown the ability to win games.  I have to think he'll get 22+ starts unless he proves to be just awful or the Bruins are playing like they did the year they couldn't buy goals.  That might force Claude to play Rask into the ground, but if that is the case, Rask isn't going to win 40 because it would mean the team is playing like garbage.  Last reason - 7 of 8 playoff teams in the east won 40 games as a team last year.  Ottawa and Washington won 41 and 42 respectively.  If Khudobin plays 22 games and wins just 9 of them, and Rask can get 33 out of 60 (.550), the Bruins will make the playoffs. 
    Posted by Bookboy007

Wasn't anything nefarious on my part, just making an observation is all.

Couple things on your points though:

1. 7 games is not a body of work at the NHL level but a cup of coffee. Khudobin has proven nothing so I agree with you there. I am not saying he won't be any good, just that there is the possibility he won't. He is still an unknown commodity.

2. If Khudobin can not be effective then Rask will, in fact, have to play 70-75 games as there is no one in Providence to call up unless you think Hutchison will suddenly be lights out.

3. If Rask is forced to play at least 70-75 games then he has a shot at winning 40.

4. Of course winning 40 games as a goalie is not common which is why it is impressive when it does happen. And I think Rask can do it.

5. This team historically plays like garbage in front of their backup goalie. Look at Rask's win-loss ratio when he is not the main man (aka 2009-10). Not good. I am not sure why they do but they, nonetheless, do. Yet, the team has made the playoffs just the same.

6. The above has nothing to do with the trivia. I was just pointing out the terrific season Peeters had when backstopping one of my favorite B's roster.

Cheers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I guessed correct without reading or checking.  It must be the beer I am drinking.  Cheers.  Have a great summer weekend!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I guessed correct without reading or checking.  It must be the beer I am drinking.  Cheers.  Have a great summer weekend!
    Posted by islamorada

Congrats. Have a couple for me. I have a "family" (aka dry) weekend ahead.....

Sections
Shortcuts