TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas

Tsn has a half hour program up here that lead with the story on Thomas.

They did a phone interview with KPD and he said and I quote:

"I think he's gonna have a problem in the room.............he had a chance to stand with his team and didn't.............this is a guy who 24 months ago wore the team usa sweater at the olympics who won the silver metal and if he feels that strongly, I feel, he should turn in both.................he's had to bat down the whole time he's been here that he's very self centered and that its all about tim, not crediting his teammates enough, he's done a pretty good job the last couple years of getting beyond that but i think its put it right back on his plate and i don't think his teammates will like it."

am i the only one who's only ever heard the opposite about him??  Not a big fan of kpd.

The other interesting thing is to see how the media can vilify a player, after the kpd interview the panel started discussing it and as they did they showed 4 highlights of thomas letting in goals.  If this was a happy story the highlights would have been great saves.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas

In Response to TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas:
    [QUOTE]Tsn has a half hour program up here that lead with the story on Thomas. They did a phone interview with KPD and he said and I quote: "I think he's gonna have a problem in the room.............he had a chance to stand with his team and didn't.............this is a guy who 24 months ago wore the team usa sweater at the olympics who won the silver metal and if he feels that strongly, I feel, he should turn in both.................he's had to bat down the whole time he's been here that he's very self centered and that its all about tim, not crediting his teammates enough, he's done a pretty good job the last couple years of getting beyond that but i think its put it right back on his plate and i don't think his teammates will like it." am i the only one who's only ever heard the opposite about him??  Not a big fan of kpd. The other interesting thing is to see how the media can vilify a player, after the kpd interview the panel started discussing it and as they did they showed 4 highlights of thomas letting in goals.  If this was a happy story the highlights would have been great saves.
    Posted by Neecic[/QUOTE]

Wow... I'm Lefty McLefty, and even I think that may be dumbest thing to ever come out of a sports reporter's mouth. Tim's statement made it cleaar it was not a protest of Obama or the Democrats (not that KPD"s statement would be any less nuts if it was) - it was a protest of entire federal government - all three branchs and both parties. When did an exercise of "petitioninng the federal government for a redress of issues" become reason to turn in an Olympic medal?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I'm only mad because this distracts everyone from talking about real hockey!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

what a dolt Dupont is !!!!  He just missed the whole point . I'm Canadian and think I understand all this more than KPD.
    Thomas is proud to be American.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't like KPD much and I think he likes to paint the Bruins badly.

But... this is exactly what Thomas has now opened up by choosing self over team today.  This is gonna s*ck for the Bruins and their fans.  The sh*tstorm is just beginning, whether it's fair or not.

I wish Timmy had expressed his opinions in a different way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

In Response to Re: TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas:
    [QUOTE]I'm only mad because this distracts everyone from talking about real hockey!!!
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

i tend to agree, and i've seen tonnes of threads about kpd and his opinions and i couldnt care less cause its a sports writer and he can say what he wants.  But this one bugged me because like it or not he's canada's link to boston media and it just seems like he's flat out lying this time.  but maybe i missed the articles about thomas being selfish.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I come to this forum because many here have good insights into the Bruins and the game itself. I love reading them just like I love the game of hockey. Today (and who knows for how long) I didn't get to exchange ideas with you folks. That is why this sucks!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

this was a bad move by thomas, i am not a big fan of KPD but he makes a good point about thomas accepting an invitation to play for team USA and being very proud of that (he should be) then he turns around and singles himself out by not going to the White House. Seems to me this country has been pretty good to him so i really dont like this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]I don't like KPD much and I think he likes to paint the Bruins badly. But... this is exactly what Thomas has now opened up by choosing self over team today.  This is gonna s*ck for the Bruins and their fans.  The sh*tstorm is just beginning, whether it's fair or not. I wish Timmy had expressed his opinions in a different way.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I know Fletch I know. I don't stand on either side of TT statement debate but it's not fair for the Bruins to deal with this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Its too bad.  Takes away from a team event.  He walked the extra mile with his team and should have been there.  I think it really shouldnt be that big of a deal.  Good news doesnt sell though and some pi$$ ant report writer needs a story.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from amazinglarry. Show amazinglarry's posts

I still have to say that I don't see the big deal, and don't get why he's being vilified for this.  People are taking it way too personally.  He's a man of convictions obviously and is just standing by what he believes.  Why is he a bad person because of it?  The only reason this is a story is because people are focusing on what I would largely consider a non-story.  The Bruins visiting the White House in general is practically a non-story.  

As for KPD, what is there left to say about him that hasn't already been said?  Talk about completely missing the point, that guy...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]I still have to say that I don't see the big deal, and don't get why he's being vilified for this.  People are taking it way too personally.  He's a man of convictions obviously and is just standing by what he believes.  Why is he a bad person because of it?  The only reason this is a story is because people are focusing on what I would largely consider a non-story.  The Bruins visiting the White House in general is practically a non-story.   As for KPD, what is there left to say about him that hasn't already been said?  Talk about completely missing the point, that guy...
    Posted by amazinglarry[/QUOTE]

I think it is because his 'conviction' makes no sense.  It seemed like this was all about Obama, and the anti-Obama people love it, but then he dispelled that in his statement pretty clearly.

So, I guess, it is about the government in general.  Too big I guess, although the people of Flint, Michigan want more government involvement, not less.

So nobody knows what he is saying, just that he doesn't respect an invitation to be honored at the White House with his teammates.  The invite was about the team, not him specifically and it is a non-political event, so it's just an odd reaction all around, and one that has been poorly explained.  I think it is in poor taste, but whatever, keep stopping pucks.

I've never been interested in the political opinions of sports stars and celebrities anyhow.  Is there a more poorly educated segment of society than celebrities and sports stars?  Dance monkey, dance -- nobody cares what you think.  And for the right-wingers, I feel the same way about Tim Robbins and the Dixie Chicks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas : I think it is because his 'conviction' makes no sense.  It seemed like this was all about Obama, and the anti-Obama people love it, but then he dispelled that in his statement pretty clearly. So, I guess, it is about the government in general.  Too big I guess, although the people of Flint, Michigan want more government involvement, not less. So nobody knows what he is saying, just that he doesn't respect an invitation to be honored at the White House with his teammates.  The invite was about the team, not him specifically and it is a non-political event, so it's just an odd reaction all around, and one that has been poorly explained.  I think it is in poor taste, but whatever, keep stopping pucks. I've never been interested in the political opinions of sports stars and celebrities anyhow.  Is there a more poorly educated segment of society than celebrities and sports stars?  Dance monkey, dance -- nobody cares what you think.  And for the right-wingers, I feel the same way about Tim Robbins and the Dixie Chicks.
    Thanks Fletch. I thought I was the only one who found his statement to be somewhat vague in it's intention. All I got from it is " don't trust the government". Is this about the New World Order and the world banks or is he still angry about Waco and Ruby Ridge? At least be specific Timmy if it means so damn much to you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]I still have to say that I don't see the big deal, and don't get why he's being vilified for this.  People are taking it way too personally.  He's a man of convictions obviously and is just standing by what he believes.  Why is he a bad person because of it?  The only reason this is a story is because people are focusing on what I would largely consider a non-story.  The Bruins visiting the White House in general is practically a non-story.   As for KPD, what is there left to say about him that hasn't already been said?  Talk about completely missing the point, that guy...
    Posted by amazinglarry[/QUOTE]

It is a non-story to some.  But not others.  It's not a BIG story.  But it is a story.  It is every year.  Team wins Cup and gets chance to meet President.

Timmy made the story about him today.  He put himself ahead of his teammates. That's what I don't like about it. 

I applaud him for standing up for what he believes (even though I'm not sure what his beliefs are) but not at the expense of his teammates and the organization as a whole.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Giesse. Show Giesse's posts

I'm just glad the Canadian contingent didn't bring up the burning of the White House during
    the War of 1812.  Good manners, no?
    Lighten up, peeps.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

When other teams go to the White House- I don't care . . .'cause it's never the Bruins . . until now. Since this is a hockey team (no offence to Hockey loving Americans everywhere) I would think that this story could have gone away pretty quickly. The fact that a few hockey people had the huge stage for 30 seconds to report on what should be a non- story, gave this thing legs. Here in Vancouver the sports radio again misrepresented or left out the truth by quoting Chia as saying "Thomas could be suspended" forgetting to mention the rest of the statement where Chia says: "But I'm not suspending him.". Timmy could have gone and then not shook hands w/ the President- awkward, or he could have suddenly decided to say something reminiscent of Susan Sarandon and T.Robbins at the Oscars- but he didn't. He didn't go- I'm okay with that. I would probably have gone myself but I don't know how strong Timmy's convictions are. John Lennon gave back his MBE. It was not taken well even by huge Beatle's fans. I hope this goes away soon. Is it better or worse than another bout of bad press over another suspension to the B's?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbbfan40. Show bbbfan40's posts

Do you think KPD will be getting any one-on-one interviews with TT for the rest of the season? After that quotable statement, I don't know if anyone in the locker room would want to tell him anything. Never heard an interview with TT that he didn't give credit (good or bad) to his teammates. If I was looking for a self-centered goalie, I'd start my search in Vancouver.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]I come to this forum because many here have good insights into the Bruins and the game itself. I love reading them just like I love the game of hockey. Today (and who knows for how long) I didn't get to exchange ideas with you folks. That is why this sucks!
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%. But funny...as much as I want to ignore this and make it go away so we can talk hockey, I come back to the idea that Thomas *is* acting selfishly. He's ticked off a lot of diehard fans, and it's through his actions that we now feel conflicted about rooting for him. Or, at least, we have to talk about it.

In other words...he's ruining my wintah!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I don't like KPD much and I think he likes to paint the Bruins badly. But... this is exactly what Thomas has now opened up by choosing self over team today.  This is gonna s*ck for the Bruins and their fans.  The sh*tstorm is just beginning, whether it's fair or not. I wish Timmy had expressed his opinions in a different way.
    No he made a choice for the 1000's or Millions that have been affected by the gov'ts decisions. Huge difference! And did something that those would never have the opportunity to do. I applaud his principles!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas : Thanks Fletch. I thought I was the only one who found his statement to be somewhat vague in it's intention. All I got from it is " don't trust the government". Is this about the New World Order and the world banks or is he still angry about Waco and Ruby Ridge? At least be specific Timmy if it means so damn much to you.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

That's just it dez, if you feel that you must make this personal statement and put the whole team and franchise in the spotlight, could you at least be perfectly clear what you are saying and what you are upset about?  He takes this huge risk and sticks his neck out to say something as trite as "government is too big"?  It would be better to just rip Obama, if that's what he believes.  The statement is empty rhetoric which blames neither party.  Who doesn't think government is too big?  So you can't be honored with your teameates?

I'd prefer that he kept it all private while his is there as part of a team, but if you must speak out and start a firestorm, speak clearly.  I still wonder what the point of it all is.

It's like he's trying to do something courageous but doesn't have the courage to explain himself.  And the team might pay the price.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas : That's just it dez, if you feel that you must make this personal statement and put the whole team and franchise in the spotlight, could you at least be perfectly clear what you are saying and what you are upset about?  He takes this huge risk and sticks his neck out to say something as trite as "government is too big"?  It would be better to just rip Obama, if that's what he believes.  The statement is empty rhetoric which blames neither party.  Who doesn't think government is too big?  So you can't be honored with your teameates? I'd prefer that he kept it all private while his is there as part of a team, but if you must speak out and start a firestorm, speak clearly.  I still wonder what the point of it all is. It's like he's trying to do something courageous but doesn't have the courage to explain himself.  And the team might pay the price.
    Fletch, I just expected something more specific from him. I also think he could've accomplished more by going to meet the President and telling him how he felt in person. What message does Obama get from this? TT is basically saying "I don't agree with you and I refuse to talk about it". I really liked how he ended his statement by saying it was the last public statement he would make on the subject. How long do you figure that's going to last? I wouldn't doubt it if we end up hearing TT's views on immigration before this one's over. At least that's more likely than us having heard the last of it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

unfortunately this thread became another about the decision which i respect him for.  the point of it was supposed to be kpd calling him selfish and saying he should give up both his bruins jersey and usa jersey.

can anyone provide a link where thomas is not a team player?  kpd needs his press card taken away for this one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

[QUOTE]unfortunately this thread became another about the decision which i respect him for.  the point of it was supposed to be kpd calling him selfish and saying he should give up both his bruins jersey and usa jersey. can anyone provide a link where thomas is not a team player?  kpd needs his press card taken away for this one.
    Posted by Neecic[/QUOTE]

The only thing I can remember was some article posted a couple of years ago (the year he played with the bad hip) where I believe John Buccigross made some comments that Thomas and Savvy weren't well liked in that particular locker room. That article was provided prior to anyone knowing the extent of his injury but who knows if it really had legs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

TT gave everyone the courtesy of an explanation which was not necessary to begin with. It's nobodys business and for all I care -- needing to clean his garage that day is an adequate excuse in my books. Obama turned this into a joke -- If your going to reference a player -- it would be nice if he knew who the player actually was. "Little ball of hate" -- How about "Big ball of stupidity"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]TT gave everyone the courtesy of an explanation which was not necessary to begin with. It's nobodys business and for all I care -- needing to clean his garage that day is an adequate excuse in my books. Obama turned this into a joke -- If your going to reference a player -- it would be nice if he knew who the player actually was. "Little ball of hate" -- How about "Big ball of stupidity"
    Posted by zamboni24[/QUOTE]

That's just it zamboni.  He did give an explanation and it was a very vague, puzzling one.  Saying it's nobody's business after a guy makes his political views entirely public is a total cop-out.  It was nobody's business, until TT decided to make his politics public during a non-political team event.  Have whatever view you want on this, but you simply cannot say that people shouldn't react when a star player snubs the President publicly.  You seek attention, you get it.

I would love to not be talking about TT's politics.  But what choice do we have at this point?  It's center stage on a day that was supposed to be about the team and the championship.  That's what bugs me. 

Sections
Shortcuts