TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Re: TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas

In Response to Re: TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas : That's just it zamboni.  He did give an explanation and it was a very vague, puzzling one.  Saying it's nobody's business after a guy makes his political views entirely public is a total cop-out.  It was nobody's business, until TT decided to make his politics public during a non-political team event.  Have whatever view you want on this, but you simply cannot say that people shouldn't react when a star player snubs the President publicly.  You seek attention, you get it. I would love to not be talking about TT's politics.  But what choice do we have at this point?  It's center stage on a day that was supposed to be about the team and the championship.  That's what bugs me. 
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I didn't like how he snubs the Pres, makes his statement and closes with, “This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic.”

If he really wanted to make a statement, make it.  And follow up on it.  Otherwise, it seemed like a big-time cop out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It's not vague at all, not once you consider that he is a donor to and supporter of Freedom Works. Most of what Thomas wrote are common refrains  from that group's literature. Baiscally the believes in the adaption of those things that are usually covered by politic and political science to instead be approached and replaced by an economic model called public choice theory which applies economic theories from the Austrian School. It's all about eliminating as much government as humanly possible and replacing all governmental functions with a free market type system. This school of thought contends that all three branches as well as both parties are responsible for a vastly over-sized federal government and a curtailment of individual rights

That's a verbose way of saying what Grover Norquist, another Freedom Works supporter, put so simply  - "I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub."

Not saying I agree or disagree with him - but this is the ideology he was alluding to. It is, admittedly, pretty far out of the mainstream of economic theory and isn't really in common practice in any major nations in the world.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Seems like whats upsetting to many here, is that TT's generic gripe with government, doesn't come all packaged up with a nice  "who's to blame".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas : Wow... I'm Lefty McLefty, and even I think that may be dumbest thing to ever come out of a sports reporter's mouth. Tim's statement made it cleaar it was not a protest of Obama or the Democrats (not that KPD"s statement would be any less nuts if it was) - it was a protest of entire federal government - all three branchs and both parties. When did an exercise of "petitioninng the federal government for a redress of issues" become reason to turn in an Olympic medal?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

You need to read between the lines a bit. Tim is clearly taking the chicken's way out by fuzzying up which party he blames.  Anyone who follows politics understands TTs position is clearly very, very far right and the only critique he has of the Republicans is that they are not extreme enough for him.

Its sort of a weasely way to not have any more GOP vs Dems talk, but in reality he's very anti-Obama and anti-Dem, and only criticizes the right when they aren't being conservative to the point of Libertarian.

Anyone who critcizes "big federal government" shouldn't have to explain which party they identify with.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas : You need to read between the lines a bit. Tim is clearly taking the chicken's way out by fuzzying up which party he blames.  Anyone who follows politics understands TTs position is clearly very, very far right and the only critique he has of the Republicans is that they are not extreme enough for him. Its sort of a weasely way to not have any more GOP vs Dems talk, but in reality he's very anti-Obama and anti-Dem, and only criticizes the right when they aren't being conservative to the point of Libertarian. Anyone who critcizes "big federal government" shouldn't have to explain which party they identify with.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

No I totally understand that (Freedom Works which I posted about above is to the absolute extreme right flank of the Republican Party, and is actually further right economically than most Tea Partiers - on some issues they're to the right of Ron Paul economically)

Doesn't change that he admonished both parties. It may be because the GOP is not right enough for him, but an admonishment is still an admonishment.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas : No I totally understand that (Freedom Works which I posted about above is to the absolute extreme right flank of the Republican Party, and is actually further right economically than most Tea Partiers - on some issues they're to the right of Ron Paul economically) Doesn't change that he admonished both parties. It may be because the GOP is not right enough for him, but an admonishment is still an admonishment.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

You are right, Red, he did "admonish" both parties, but just like political reporters (i.e., Ann Coulter would admonish George Bush for not being conservative enough and Ted Rall will complain and admonish Obama because he's not far left enough) but at the end of the day Ann is a far right Republican and Ted is a moonbat left winger Democrat.  You can admonish both sides but still stongly, clearly support only one side of the aisle.

People here are looking at TT's statement complaining about "the government" and apparently don't know enough about basic politics to believe he's not taking one party's side.  On the contrary, he's taking the most radical Republican side he can.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'd respect Thomas more for this if he was actually willing to make a point about his politics and defend it.  "I'm not going to accept this ceremonial, non-partisan acknowledgment as a stand for what I believe in, but the only thing I plan to say will be my status on Facebook.  Then I will shut up and hope it all blows over."  Weak sauce.  If it matters enough to make a spectacle of your absence, if you're using your celebrity to Bono up your politics, then do it. 

Otherwise, to paraphrase, I have a pretty good idea of how to analyze social and economic policy and I'm not going to be taking any advice on that from a goalie today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas : You are right, Red, he did "admonish" both parties, but just like political reporters (i.e., Ann Coulter would admonish George Bush for not being conservative enough and Ted Rall will complain and admonish Obama because he's not far left enough) but at the end of the day Ann is a far right Republican and Ted is a moonbat left winger Democrat.  You can admonish both sides but still stongly, clearly support only one side of the aisle. People here are looking at TT's statement complaining about "the government" and apparently don't know enough about basic politics to believe he's not taking one party's side.  On the contrary, he's taking the most radical Republican side he can.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Agreed, he's certainly not neutral, and I never meant to imply I thought he was.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]I'd respect Thomas more for this if he was actually willing to make a point about his politics and defend it.  "I'm not going to accept this ceremonial, non-partisan acknowledgment as a stand for what I believe in, but the only thing I plan to say will be my status on Facebook.  Then I will shut up and hope it all blows over."  Weak sauce.  If it matters enough to make a spectacle of your absence, if you're using your celebrity to Bono up your politics, then do it.  Otherwise, to paraphrase, I have a pretty good idea of how to analyze social and economic policy and I'm not going to be taking any advice on that from a goalie today.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%

Him refusing to talk about it further is a cop out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Dupont thinks Thomas will have issues in the locker room.  I thought I read where PC said he's known about Thomas not coming for a while and tried unsuccessfully to change his mind.  Presumably the rest of the club was aware of Thomas' position ahead of time also?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Dupont thinks Thomas will have issues in the locker room.  I thought I read where PC said he's known about Thomas not coming for a while and tried unsuccessfully to change his mind.  Presumably the rest of the club was aware of Thomas' position ahead of time also?
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

I doubt it... Ference is as far too the left as Thomas is to the right, and there's not any issues that I know of. Aaron Ward was on TSN tonight and he was quite clear that he was well aware of all of Tim's political beliefs. He said anyone who knows Tim, knows this is him. And Ward didn't mention it had ever been a locker room issue.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas : I doubt it... Ference is as far too the left as Thomas is to the right, and there's not any issues that I know of. Aaron Ward was on TSN tonight and he was quite clear that he was well aware of all of Tim's political beliefs. He said anyone who knows Tim, knows this is him. And Ward didn't mention it had ever been a locker room issue.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

red - So KPD's up to his usual bout of business of stirring the pot?  Thankfully it's just his opinion.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]Dupont thinks Thomas will have issues in the locker room.  I thought I read where PC said he's known about Thomas not coming for a while and tried unsuccessfully to change his mind.  Presumably the rest of the club was aware of Thomas' position ahead of time also?
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

And this is what bothers me the most.  Why did Thomas not make his statement sooner so the media storm would have been over and today could have been about the team?  I find his act of announcing it today very selfish and would not be surprised if KPD is right about this causing locker room issues.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

I can hear and see now " trade thomas trade thomas trade thomas trade thomas ".
    I am not the most knowledgeable political  person but i am proud to be Canadian and am very content having USA as my neighbour. I am ignorant when it comes to political talk but am getting more interested in learning more because it is an important issue in my life today.

Every citizen has the right to speak or write their opinions even stars, pro athletes and every day working civilians.If a political leader came to my town and I  wanted something to express concerning potlitics I would attend and hopefully have the chance to say something.

I am not going to judge this matter just put it on the bookshelf.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

[QUOTE]I can hear and see now " trade thomas trade thomas trade thomas trade thomas ". I am not the most knowledgeable political  person but i am proud to be Canadian and am very content having USA as my neighbour. I am ignorant when it comes to political talk but am getting more interested in learning more because it is an important issue in my life today. Every citizen has the right to speak or write their opinions even stars, pro athletes and every day working civilians.If a political leader came to my town and I  wanted something to express concerning potlitics I would attend and hopefully have the chance to say something. I am not going to judge this matter just put it on the bookshelf.
    Posted by orr4neely8[/QUOTE]

There were many posters who wanted him benched these past few weeks anyway.  According to them this has sold it because one's off ice decisions directly impacts who they are as a player (note sarcasm). 

Will be interesting to see who starts tonight.  If Rask plays you know someone will ask Claude if it had anything to do with yesterday.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Tim Thomas decision--

PROS:
    1. Tim Thomas can do whatever he feels is right for him.
    2. There is only on other American on the team, so the rest of the team won't have a problem with him.

CONS:
    1. This was a team event.
    2. Even Tomas Kaberle showed up. C'mon Timmy!

Where do you go from here? Let's drop the puck and play some hockey so we can get Tim Thomas back to the White House next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsfanforever. Show Bruinsfanforever's posts

Just throwing this out there to ask your opinions. I do not mean this as a slight of Thomas and I am not doing this to bash Thomas, but do you think that his not being at the White House may in any way lead the Bruins to trading Thomas either at the trade deadline or in the off season?

I know it sounds a little far fetched, but it could happen.  I can imagine the Bruins trading Thomas for a veteran backup who makes less money as it gives them cap space.   

What do you think?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas : I doubt it... Ference is as far too the left as Thomas is to the right, and there's not any issues that I know of. Aaron Ward was on TSN tonight and he was quite clear that he was well aware of all of Tim's political beliefs. He said anyone who knows Tim, knows this is him. And Ward didn't mention it had ever been a locker room issue.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Ward's comments made me feel better about all this. Seems like the guys in the room already know his feelings, and obviously it doesn't matter much to them. The trick now is that the fans and media will be all over it, and it'll be a drag on everyone to have to deal with the aftermath.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

Can someone please give me an intelligent statement on how, exactly, TT stood up for his beliefs? What are his beliefs? Does anyone know or are people just applauding an act of protest for the sake of protest? I heard he supports Freedom Works and the Tea Party but is he an active participant or does he just donate. Does he volunteer his time, does he make speeches in the off season? What, exactly, does he do to express his beliefs and support his viewpoint? Snub the White House and make a lame statement on FB is not exactly the same as marching on the streets of our Capital. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TSN "That's Hockey" on Thomas : Ward's comments made me feel better about all this. Seems like the guys in the room already know his feelings, and obviously it doesn't matter much to them. The trick now is that the fans and media will be all over it, and it'll be a drag on everyone to have to deal with the aftermath.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

This was also my only concern and reading about this (missed it last night) does soften my worst case scenario in the room.
    Like Red75 said , if Ference and Thomas can win together and be good teammates then I don't think there will be a problem in the dressing room and KPD should shut the hell up ! Always has to stir the pot to get readers attention.

Also thank Red75 and SoxFanInill for enlightening me on your posts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StiHacka. Show StiHacka's posts

Crybabies left and right (mostly left though)

In soviet Russia, only devoted communists had the right to love their country. Everyone else was an undeserving traitor.

This country starts looking a lot like a soviet Russia. Go against the grain and see the fury of media unleashed. Cui bono?

Go Timmy! I am sure the rest of the team is having some good laughs over this. Probably one of the best team bonding experiences in weeks. Show 'em Capitals who is not afraid of standing their ground!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

[QUOTE]Just throwing this out there to ask your opinions. I do not mean this as a slight of Thomas and I am not doing this to bash Thomas, but do you think that his not being at the White House may in any way lead the Bruins to trading Thomas either at the trade deadline or in the off season? I know it sounds a little far fetched, but it could happen.  I can imagine the Bruins trading Thomas for a veteran backup who makes less money as it gives them cap space.    What do you think?
    Posted by Bruinsfanforever[/QUOTE]

By the sounds of the comments of some here, the only place he CAN be traded to is north of the border...

I am a proud Canadian and not always happy with our goverment(s' parties) but at election time Canadians (in general) tend to assess each of the parties platforms and decide the best for us at that time...I have no problem voting for another party if I believe they will do a better job.

It seems that many US citizens vote according to (in part) their party's platforms but mostly because they have voted that way for years and their parents voted that way and their grand parents...well, you get the idea.

Which brings me back to Tim Thomas.
    I respect his right to choose his political beliefs as he sees fit.

Someone asked just what WAS his statement if it couldn't be determined through his FB posting? His actions demonstrated he felt uneasy going. He did not want to voice his opinion to the President...perhaps he felt the President cannot influence the problems he sees happening.

He doesn't owe me, you, Obama, KPD or his team mates exact reasons why he opted out of the White House visit. As Ward said, everyone on this close knit team knows TT's stance on politics and all he really needs to say is he is not going for personal, politcal reasons.

He offered a brief explanation online, believing it would be enough to sooth the nay sayers. It shoudl be.

I hope this is the last I am going to say on the matter...

Let's get back to hockey and repeating the Stanly Cup victory of last June (when life seemed so much simpler)!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Can someone please give me an intelligent statement on how, exactly, TT stood up for his beliefs? What are his beliefs? Does anyone know or are people just applauding an act of protest for the sake of protest? I heard he supports Freedom Works and the Tea Party but is he an active participant or does he just donate. Does he volunteer his time, does he make speeches in the off season? What, exactly, does he do to express his beliefs and support his viewpoint? Snub the White House and make a lame statement on FB is not exactly the same as marching on the streets of our Capital. 
    Posted by vcec[/QUOTE]

I had seen in a few articles him mentioned as a supporter and donor." That implies he does more than just donate. You're welcome BsL

And also, I agree completely with Davinator.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Crybabies left and right (mostly left though)

In Response to Crybabies left and right (mostly left though):
    [QUOTE]In soviet Russia, only devoted communists had the right to love their country. Everyone else was an undeserving traitor. This country starts looking a lot like a soviet Russia. Go against the grain and see the fury of media unleashed. Cui bono? Go Timmy! I am sure the rest of the team is having some good laughs over this. Probably one of the best team bonding experiences in weeks. Show 'em Capitals who is not afraid of standing their ground!
    Posted by StiHacka[/QUOTE]

Ha. Great drama there.  Free speech is entitled to both Tim Thomas AND the people reacting to him.  That's the beauty of it all.  If you're against people speaking out against TT today, then you sir, are against free speech as well

TT is exercising his rights, so is everyone else.  What a country.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

[QUOTE]I'm just glad the Canadian contingent didn't bring up the burning of the White House during the War of 1812.  Good manners, no? Lighten up, peeps.
    Posted by Giesse[/QUOTE]

Fuggin hilarious!  Good one! +1