TSN Report: "STUDY SUGGESTS CANADIANS WOULD SUPPORT FIGHTING BAN IN NHL"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FUhabs. Show FUhabs's posts

TSN Report: "STUDY SUGGESTS CANADIANS WOULD SUPPORT FIGHTING BAN IN NHL"

It also went on and stated that the majority of the vote (67%) came from the Quebec province!! surprise surprise.......gosh I hate those smurfs and their fans

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Re: TSN Report: "STUDY SUGGESTS CANADIANS WOULD SUPPORT FIGHTING BAN IN NHL"

I think there was a spelling mistake in the title of this article, should be spelt Canadiens.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Bettman and the BoG needs fighting to sell tickets to the game in places where the game alone, can't get it done. At least, he thinks he does. A windfall awaits any amount of courage on this issue.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'm not sure about Ontario, Qubec or BC, but you're not going to get much support for getting rid of fighting from the Prairies (Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Because?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Sorry, red75, why not much support for getting rid of fighting from the Prairies?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: TSN Report: "STUDY SUGGESTS CANADIANS WOULD SUPPORT FIGHTING BAN IN NHL":
    Sorry, red75, why not much support for getting rid of fighting from the Prairies?
    Posted by gord11

Cultural... the average hockey fan that I know of from the Prairies is more of a traditionalist with the game. It's also more redneck, (and I say that as one of them) and a more individualist, physical culture. I've heard folks from BC, Ontario and Quebec talk about fighting bans in droves, but that same opnion is a voice in the wilderness in the Prairies.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

this  was done in Quebec only  i heard

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Who knows if they even targeted hockey fans with their question? If you asked someone who wasn't a fan if they'd support a fighting ban, most would say yes. Of course it sounds barbaric to those who don't watch hockey. Heck it apparently seems barbaric to some who do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

As always, it would be useful to see the particulars of the study.  What was the actual question?  Asking people if they would support a ban is not nearly as interesting as asking if they would oppose one.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Olympic hockey has lots of NHL players, no fighting and revolves around speed and great passing. It's terrific hockey and I don't seem to miss the thuggery of the NHL. Revelations that NHL goons are dying at young ages of suicide and other brain injuries should give pause to the so-called fans who just have to have the endless fisticuffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: TSN Report: "STUDY SUGGESTS CANADIANS WOULD SUPPORT FIGHTING BAN IN NHL":
     Olympic hockey has lots of NHL players, no fighting and revolves around speed and great passing. It's terrific hockey and I don't seem to miss the thuggery of the NHL. Revelations that NHL goons are dying at young ages of suicide and other brain injuries should give pause to the so-called fans who just have to have the endless fisticuffs.
    Posted by trouts

Yes, there is still the very odd fight in international play. You also see instances of guys getting run quite badly because the players know they probably won't get punched in the face. Getzky took the worst cheap shot of his career during the less barbaric international play. I'm still like the idea of players still keeping other players accountable. For instance, if a 2 minute minor was all that stood between Barch and knocking out more Bruins (remember Paille?) he would've done it all night. I think he toned things down after Thornton tuned him up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

You know I agree with you that there are instances when fighting seems appropriate. It still gravels me that noone stepped up when Cooke laid out Savard. What I wouldn't miss are the automatic dust-ups when there's a scrum in front of the net or the dropping of gloves anytime someone is checked into the boards. The issue I raised about the early deaths of designated goons is still a legitimate one. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

Bunch of puuzzies-- its part of the game--- leave it alone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

You know I agree with you that there are instances when fighting seems appropriate. It still gravels me that noone stepped up when Cooke laid out Savard. What I wouldn't miss are the automatic dust-ups when there's a scrum in front of the net or the dropping of gloves anytime someone is checked into the boards. The issue I raised about the early deaths of designated goons is still a legitimate one. 
    Posted by trouts

Post hoc,ergo propter hoc - After therefore because of it.

It's an intellectual fallacy that because something occurred after another event there is an automatic causual relationship. Has there been scientific evidence that backs up these players deaths with their roles as enforcers. Rypien, for example, had clinical depression, something he would have had whether he was a hockey player or not, and suffered from it his whhole life. I'm not saying there is not a possible link between these deaths and their roles as enforcers, but that link, if any has not been proven, and to assume there is a causual relationship is an intellectual leap.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

International play is completely different than the NHL and based on a small round robin type format.  82 games and then playoffs.  I know there are few fights come playoff time but if you eliminate fighting you might as well put full cages on as well b/c the high sticking and dirty play will be through the roof. 

It will never be taken out of the game.  Mark Howe on his NHL induction weekend was interviewed and said it best.   The players eliminated and policed themselves.  They didnt wait for the league to do it. 

And as Red pointed out hockey would not sell in the US/southern states with out it.  Its doing horrible now in some areas.  When I played in Wichita they knew a few things in this order of importance. 1. Fighting 2. Hits 3. Goals.  They also had a program that had to lay out the rules of hockey.  I mean basic icing. 
    I would be all in favor of eliminating some southern teams and cutting back the amount of teams in the league.  Also, why can't they reduce roster size as well.  Is 4 full lines really needed?  10 Fwds and 6 dmen.  Or 11 fwds and 5 dmen.  I know it takes away from the tradional game but it would cut back on the meat heads in the league a lot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Next: Ban forechecking

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Disney on Ice?  Soccer on Ice?  No fighting for Mom's in Canada don't want their kids to be pugilists down the road.  The day will come when fighting will be eliminated from hockey, then the NHL will deal with stick work.  Meanwhile, let NA socieies refine UFC fighting, NASCAR, Rodeo, motor cross, equistrian riding, snowmobiling, driving in Boston and find a protective cubical like Howard Hughes or a gated community for those who fear living. Me thinks once the analysis is done the Canadien fans want to eliminate fighting cause the team is not built for it.  Yikes!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Disney on Ice?  Soccer on Ice?  No fighting for Mom's in Canada don't want their kids to be pugilists down the road.  The day will come when fighting will be eliminated from hockey, then the NHL will deal with stick work.  Meanwhile, let NA socieies refine UFC fighting, NASCAR, Rodeo, motor cross, equistrian riding, snowmobiling, driving in Boston and find a protective cubical like Howard Hughes or a gated community for those who fear living. Me thinks once the analysis is done the Canadien fans want to eliminate fighting cause the team is not built for it.  Yikes!
    Posted by islamorada

It's funny in Canada over the last 20 years or so, over a dozen people have been killed in chuckwagon races, but there's no move to ban it for that (though there are people who want to ban it because horses have been killed - go figure). I know there have been a number of hockey related deaths (mosst in the amateur leagues have been icing related or freak accidents), but I'm pretty sure that most of the activities you listed have a higher death toll than hockey. God, you usually hear of at least a half dozen snowmobiling fatalaties every single winter, and as a rider myself I'd hazard a guess that equestrian riding has a similar number. I'm well aware that each time I get on my horse I'm at a greater risk for severe injury than I am when I step on the ice (there's no such thing as minor injuries in equestrian - you're either hurt bad or not at all)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

First of all, we do not know how the survey was done?  what was the question?  Questions?  It seems to me it a media ploy to get a panzie discussion going.  If I were doing a survey, these are the questions I would ask....

1. Are you a hockey fan?  yes/no?  No? Thank you for your time, moving on.
    2. How long have you been watching NHL hockey?  Less than/more than 5 years?
        Less than 5 years....thank you for your time, moving on.
    3. As a long time Hockey fan, do you think there should be a ban on fighting in the NHL?

I think if this was the way the survey was conducted, there would be a totally different set of numbers!!!  As a matter of fact, why don't we put these questions out to our good friends here on this forum??  Does anyone know how to get this up on the board as a survey???  hahahahahaha

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Personally I find this very ironic considering where the fighting in hockey actually began.....seems this generation of Canadiens need a history on their own countrymen and the beginning of fighting in the game of hockey.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Who knows if they even targeted hockey fans with their question? If you asked someone who wasn't a fan if they'd support a fighting ban, most would say yes. Of course it sounds barbaric to those who don't watch hockey. Heck it apparently seems barbaric to some who do.
    Posted by dezaruchi

You are bang on Dez.  If they ask hockey fans only, the majority - probably 75% support keeping fighting in the game.

Sections
Shortcuts