TT = Mr. five hole

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: TT = Mr. five hole

Yeah, the Vezina winner again (would have won it last year if not hurt) has a bad game and he's just the worst.

Get to bed, kids.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

This is hockey folks, not golf. Thomas' results (and every other goalie's) are a result of their own ability and that of the team in front of them. That team in front of him can make his life much more difficult or much eaiser with their play. But what's Thomas' job? To make saves. The guy saves 94% of the shots he faces this year. Of those 6% he lets in, some are going to be softies, some tough shots. What do you want 95%.. 96% save percentage? Let's put it this way.. the best career save % is owned by Dom Hasek at 92.2%. Give Thomas a break ffs..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

TT gets game #1.  After that who knows?  I could care less who is in net as long as it is the best option to win the game.  If TT continues to let his 5-hole get abused then Rask will get his shot.  If Rask can't get it done, it will be back to TT if there are still games to play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

I didn't really classify last nights game an as "important" game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from deejm2112. Show deejm2112's posts

I can't believe I'm reading the comments here....the best goalie in the world can't overcome the fact that the D completely bailed from the front of the net a few times...leaving opposing forwards alone in close to pick up the lose pucks, and they did. Lets face it, the Rangers scored in close, and odd man rushes, TT  got across but really, you can get over, try the % play, and that's all you can do. The fact is, the B's went up 3-0 and clammed up and forgot to continue to press, and that opened the door for a more driven team to take it over.

TT is one of the biggest reasons the B's clinched the NE division and yes, he was more average last night (solid but nothing spectacular) but it doesn't take away the fact that the team totally let him down, and THAT's the reason for the loss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Bad D and weak goaltending were the reasons for that last loss.  If the best goalie in the world is playing average, he is he really the best?  If the best in the world happens not to be playing better than the other goalie on the roster does he play anyway because he has a cool moniker and has more trophies in his trophy case?  Just win and limit the weak goals.  Whoever does this with more efficiency should be in net.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

In Response to Re: TT = Mr. five hole:
    [QUOTE]A few simple numbers should put this dilemma out of its misery. Just look at the shots against and 3+goal games stats : http://is.gd/qBvV98 In sum, neither scoring nor the D can explain the Bs' success this season--not on their own and not even in large part. That leaves the goaltending. If TT doesn't steal important games then Bs aren't in the playoffs and this was all a sick dream.
    Posted by Bruins-Unite[/QUOTE]

TT will never be considered a top 10 goalie ! But he has definetley done the job for us this year and that's good enough for me.  However, I do get nervous when he's mathed agaisnt the elite goalies like Miller, Ludquist, Ward, Luongo ,
    and , yes, even PRice !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

I guess B's fans who like Tim Thomas as their goaltender just can't win. He most likely will have 2 Vezina's in the past three years. Whats the matter? Can't win 3 in a row? And if he loses ANY game that MUST mean he isn't as good as his opposing goaltender. And stacks up against "the elite" goaltenders as follows.
    Non-elite
    T.Thomas: 2.50 GA .921 SV% and 159 wins
    Elite
    C. Price: 2.60 .915% and 96 wins
    H. Lundqvist: 2.32 .919 and 212
    M. Kiprusoff: 2.47 .913 and 275
    R. Luongo: 2.53 .919 and 307
    Man, our goalie sucks.
    Go B's!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

i would hope its just some jerk with various screen names. Now is when you really need to be behind the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Is anyone else tired of the "vezina" reference when it comes to TT?  

It's a regular season accomplishment over an 82 game span.  Great acheivement but meaningless once the post season begins.  

If we must talk about individual awards call me when a Bruin has the Conn Smyth in his hand. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I think it's a great accomplishment, especially twice.   When you are the preeminent goalie over 82 games, 2/3 years, that's quite impressive.

Anyone saying he doesn't come up big is either a troll or dumb.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigMonty. Show bigMonty's posts

it also changes how a team coaches against a goalie like that. are you going to dump a lot of shots on a vezina winner and hope one of them goes in or are you going to be a bit more selective, look for the opening, and get quality shots on net? it absolutely does have an effect on the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Teams throw as much rubber at TT as they can.  This seems to be the game plan against him so not sure about teams being selective against this vezina winner anyway.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Ok, lets table the "tired" Vezina argument. It is only a regular season award.
    So if we're discounting the regular season as "meh, who cares" lets see how he stacks up against the "elite goalies" in the NHL in the playoffs. How does Thomas do in the playoffs? 10-8 .926 2.16.
    Lundqvist: 14-16 .907 2.66
    Price: 5-11 .894 3.17
    Luongo: 17-17 .919 2.46
    Kipper: 25-28 .921 2.32
    Miller: 22-18 .917 2.39

Not too shabby in comparison if you ask me.  As far as I know though, there arent only goalie's names on the Stanley Cup. But God, if only we had an elite goalie.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Who cares who is considered "elite"?  Where are the guidelines to determine an "elite" goalie?  Just stop the puck and limit the amount of weak goals when it counts.  It's not about comparisons to other goalies unless your a player agent.  Individual trophies like the Vezina are great for recognizing super regular season accomplishments but come April 14 or whenever the Bruins open the playoffs, these awards mean jack.  The only individual award I have interest in these days is a Conn Smythe and typically whoever wins this award is usually standing beside the Cup.  Whether it's TT, Rask or frigg'n Roberto Romano, just don't crap the bed and don't be one the reasons why the team gets eliminated. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Was Cam Ward considering "elite" prior to him backstopping the Canes to a Cup in 06?  Was Bill Ranford "elite" when he lead the Oliers past the Bruins in 90?  Neimi? Osgood? Giguere? Khabibulin?  Are they "elite"?  Reference these guys any way you want but at the end of the day, they got the job done.  That's all that matters and that's all I am asking for.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

"...got the job done" Define that? Is that winning a Cup and nothing else? My comparison was simply a context. A context to show YOU that Thomas does HIS job and compares favorably against those that many consider the "elite" of the league. Like I said, as far as I know the Stanley Cup has the names of the entire TEAM etched on it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Is that winning a Cup and nothing else?

Exactly....or a Ron Hextall performance!!!

Seriously though.  Just don't be the reason the team is behind in a series or out of it all together.  Yeah a goalie is part of the team but no player has a bigger impact than the tender especially come playoff time.  Regardless of regular season awards such as vezina's and player of the week, if he's just average in game #1 of the playoffs do you keep rolling him out there because of his regular season body of work?  I don't and not because I'm a TT hater or whatever other joke labels I read on here.  I love the guy and am glad he is on our team.  I didn't like his contract when it appeared he was headed for back up duty but considering his rebound season, I have no problem with his contract or giving the reigns to him in game #1.  Play the hot hand and ride him I say.  Again, I could care less who plays in net as long as he plays well.

Labelling who is elite and who isn't these days is futile.  20 years ago sure but today they all the play the same style (minus a few hybrids like TT).  One year a guy is great and the next year he turns to dog crap and all of them have moments of brilliance and times of shame.  Miller was great last year and just average this year.  TT was great, then not so good and then great again.  Reimer was apparently to be a back up for the Marlies and in less than one season, he's great? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Well, I guess my response would be, given Thomas' body of work, yeah, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. In gross generalities, the B's lose 3-0 in game 1, Im going with Thomas in game 2. The Bruins lose game 1 5-1, I'd be willing to see what TR has to offer. Im a huge fan of his, but not willing to sell the team short despite that.

I'd say winning 2 Vezina's in 3 years is elite, no? lol And personally, I think Miller is just a name and makes some outstanding saves and has some lights out moments. But his body of work isn't nearly as good as Timmy. Does stuff like that make me a sheep? Maybe to some!
    Go B's!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camperpete. Show Camperpete's posts

Five hole this moronic post. When placed into the proper context this post is absolutely absurd. TT has not stolen any games for the B's this season? Really? What planet are you watching the games from? PLUTO

TT maybe a flipper, however any goaltender in the NHL will tell you he competes  hard and HATES losing. Thats the goalie I want between the pipes for the playoffs. Bring on the doubters!

In Response to TT = Mr. five hole:
    [QUOTE]You can all say what you want, but TT is showing his true colors. Vezina, best sv%, best GAA, yada, yada. He does not steal important games consitantly...period. Think Jumbo Joe Thornton. He is not a winner or champion and I've said many times before, the B's WILL NOT WIN A CUP WITH TT IN NET!!!!! His flip flop, too aggressive style does well in the regular season, but he gets eaten alive when the pressure is on. The boys did not play well tonight, but neither did NY, the difference was goal tending. I want a cup more than most, but I know it will not happen while Mr five hole is playing here.
    Posted by sparky1313[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts