TT must be rested

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: TT must be rested

In Response to Re: TT must be rested:
    In Response to Re: TT must be rested : Yea! That is a pretty stupid thing to say. Obviously, he hasn't watched the games Rask has been in. Just going by the final scoreboard!
    Posted by nitemare-38

And saying Boston is "hanging on by a thread" to a playoff spot wasn't exactly accurate either.They could move up to 3rd with a win tonight.I'm with you guys on this.North either doesn't watch the games or is a troll.Either makes his opinion suspect.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordBruin. Show LordBruin's posts

Start Tuukks tonight in Sunrise, Florida as well as this week's game vs the Sucky Sabres in Buff Duff Land and let Double TT get his starts @ Tampa and in Hot-(A)tlanta!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

TT has had plenty of time off, actually,  since last year when he rode the bench for the last half of the season... This guy is far from being worn out this year... He hasn't played any back to back games,  and the Bruins have played the least amount of games in the NHL?? Tired??  He's only played 24 games !!  16 current goalies have played more games than TT...Give me a break... Ride the hot hand, and when Rask comes in hope he wins but right now I don't mind the goalie rotation at all.. Rask will get his chance tomorrow night..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

TT has had plenty of time off, actually,  since last year when he rode the bench for the last half of the season... This guy is far from being worn out this year... He hasn't played any back to back games,  and the Bruins have played the least amount of games in the NHL?? Tired??  He's only played 24 games !!  16 current goalies have played more games than TT...Give me a break... Ride the hot hand, and when Rask comes in hope he wins but right now I don't mind the goalie rotation at all.. Rask will get his chance tomorrow night..
    Posted by cowboys9

Do you feel TT has been sharp the last 4 starts?Maybe the problem is TT played so well early on that good no longer seems like it's enough.Like I said,I like both goalies when they win.Best tandem in the league by far.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In Response to Re: TT must be rested : Do you feel TT has been sharp the last 4 starts?Maybe the problem is TT played so well early on that good no longer seems like it's enough.Like I said,I like both goalies when they win.Best tandem in the league by far.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Did he look all that bad against Atlanta?  They didn't score any goals for him against the Ducks....Prior to that you could say the Bruins should have lost by bigger margins if not for TT being sharp, and I point to the Leafs and Habs games specifically .. Those scores could have been more one sided instead of making the B's look respectable on the scoreboard that is...Didn't both teams take over 40 shots on him in both games...I have to agree with you on the rest.. sometimes good isn't good enough for some people..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: TT must be rested : Did he look all that bad against Atlanta?  They didn't score any goals for him against the Ducks....Prior to that you could say the Bruins should have lost by bigger margins if not for TT being sharp, and I point to the Leafs and Habs games specifically .. Those scores could have been more one sided instead of making the B's look respectable on the scoreboard that is...Didn't both teams take over 40 shots on him in both games...I have to agree with you on the rest.. sometimes good isn't good enough for some people..
    Posted by cowboys9

I personally feel as if TT should've been pulled after the 1st against Montreal.I'm not bad-mouthing him when I say he hasn't been as sharp(although not as sharp is still better than 99% of the leagues goalies).Cheers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

TT looked great again tonight.Glad to be ahead of the Habs.Habs now technically in 8th.Looks good on them.A bad week can have them on the outside looking in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In Response to Re: TT must be rested : I personally feel as if TT should've been pulled after the 1st against Montreal.I'm not bad-mouthing him when I say he hasn't been as sharp(although not as sharp is still better than 99% of the leagues goalies).Cheers.
    Posted by dezaruchi

He was pretty sharp tonite :) 2pts in the bank..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I agree that he looked good tonight.

IMO he would have stopped the second goal 6 or 7 games ago.  True, it would have been an outstanding save, but I think he was just that much sharper a few weeks ago.

6 or 7 games ago he was stealing wins, he's not stealing wins now.

The offense was on fire vs. Atlanta, he could have been asleep and won that one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I agree that he looked good tonight. IMO he would have stopped the second goal 6 or 7 games ago.  True, it would have been an outstanding save, but I think he was just that much sharper a few weeks ago. 6 or 7 games ago he was stealing wins, he's not stealing wins now. The offense was on fire vs. Atlanta, he could have been asleep and won that one.
    Posted by BadHabitude

You don't think he stole a win tonite ??? Like the Boys on MNF like to say " Come On Man!!"   The second goal was a high tip, change of direction shot that most wouldn't stop unless it hit them.. TT had no chance...like I said for some , like you, good is never good enough.. Thomas was very good tonite and that's all that matters to me....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Thomas saved the game about five times.  There were the two breakaways and there were several odd man rushes with good shots, and then the diving save in the last few minutes.  Plus the shootout.  He and Krej won the game for our Bs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Hey, I did say it was only one shade off.  Yes, he stole the OT win, I still say a few weeks ago he was standing on his head.  He wasn't standing on his head tonight.

For all the reasons I've already stated, Rask should be getting more starts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Raycroft is a great comparable for Rask. They've played they same number of games, and both teams on the right side of the team +/-, both teams currently lead their division.

Rask has one better stat than Raycroft.
    Raycroft got 2.4 Goals of support in those ten
    Rask got 2.2 goals of support in his ten
    That's a pretty small difference to account for the win loss totals.

And yes, Rask is younger, but so wasn't Toivennen, so wasn't Auld, so wasn't Joe MacDonald, and...

And how many younger goalies of the future did it take to finally knock Osgood out? Or Hasek, or Brodour?

TT has only had the starting job locked up once, that was last year where he had a hip injury and a broken hand.

And again, one more time what about his melting in the playoffs? He's done it in the AHL, and the NHL. Like Mason, like others we could name Rask had a great rookie season, and now we're seeing the season after. More importantly there is no reason to take out the guy leading the NHL in GAA, Sv% and SO for a guy who with enough starts to qualify would be outside the top ten in all those categories.

And if you're trying to push Thomas even better than he is right now you're risking injuring him. You claim he needs rest, and I don't disagree, but theres no need to push a guy who's playing record breaking hockey. The last time a goalie finished a season with a GAA under 2 with 41 or more starts was Backstrom in 06-07 with exactly 41, and a 1.97, TT is 16 games away from hitting the same number of starts, and before that it was Roloson, with 48 starts, and a 1.88 and neither of them had a .949 to hang next to it.

If Rask wants the starting job, he needs to bide his time, and come in to camp and play lights out, that or pay someone to break one of TT's limbs, cause Thomas is even more in the zone than Crosby or Stamkos, and while he might float closer to earth than he is now, I don't see him crashing with about 3 games off per month, max, if Rask plays well.

Rask, hasn't played well enough to earn more starts on this team, this year.

Thomas just had four days off. He'll probably get to skip either the Tampa or Atlanta game on this trip and then he'll probably play the next couple since there's no back to backs. The next glut of games is the 10th through the end of January, and I'd pencil Rask in for the Senators on the 11th. and  maybe even one of the two Canes games.

Thomas is the probably league MVP this season whether he gets the award or not, Rask has to be better than that for the coach and management to not lose the rest of the roster by playing him frequently over Thomas, period.

In Response to Re: TT must be rested : I'll ignore the insult and use logic. Why are you bringing Raycroft into this picture, he has nothing to do with anything.  Besides that, Rask's numbers are better, and Raycroft's numbers are the best he's had in 8 (that's EIGHT) years. If you're going to mention some other names, how about comparing Tuuka's sv% against Cam Ward .925 Carey Price .923 Ryan Miller and Roberto Luongo with .913 (You might observe that .927 is better) I'm not as much a proponent of Rask as I am insuring good goaltending.  We've seen this before.  TT DOES get hurt when he plays too much, and if not hurt he gets mentally burnt out.  His playing style is intense, and that intensity leads to injury or burn out. Rask is a capable goalie, he's the goalie of the future - no one can debate that he's younger than TT. Less starts for TT means; a) the development of Rask. b) insuring that TT stays fresh, both unhurt and unburnt out. c) should TT get hurt, you need Rask confident and game ready. d) the team is getting complacent behind TT.  Clearly this is an inconsistent team that sometimes sits back on it's heels and needs a shake up.  Putting in Rask in a big game situation will get everyone's attention, that's for sure. e) TT is tired NOW, he may possibly even be hurt NOW - he hasn't looked that sharp in the last 3 games or so. f) Undeniable that TT plays best in the underdog role.  When his detractors say he's all washed up, he plays his best.  Put yourself back end of last year and over the summer, everyone was saying you couldn't trade TT for anything because his cap hit was too much and he was all done. Every season I have seen TT he is at his WORST when he had the starting job locked up, and at his BEST when he's threatened. The best thing that could happen in the world for the Bruins would be if Rask can go in and get hot and get a bunch of starts, TT would come on like gang busters and you would have 2 goalies prime for the playoffs. Again, I'm not that big a fan of Rask.  I say go with the winning goalie.  That goalie is now TT, but the trick is to keep him that way and make sure he peaks at the right time. I'll go as far as to say this, if you can get Tuuka going and get him some starts and make him seem a lock for the #1 spot, TT will go stark raving nuts and play better than he ever has in his life.  And a team with an insanely hot goalie on a mediocre team will take you to the conference finals (see the habs last year).  A pretty decent team with an insanely hot goalie will get you a Stanley Cup.
    Posted by BadHabitude

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Don't got expecting reality to intrude on some peoples lives, its an unwelcome visitor there.

In Response to Re: TT must be rested : You don't think he stole a win tonite ??? Like the Boys on MNF like to say " Come On Man!!"   The second goal was a high tip, change of direction shot that most wouldn't stop unless it hit them.. TT had no chance...like I said for some , like you, good is never good enough.. Thomas was very good tonite and that's all that matters to me....
    Posted by cowboys9

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Don't got expecting reality to intrude on some peoples lives, its an unwelcome visitor there. In Response to Re: TT must be rested :
    Posted by bandgbleeder

I'm not sure that suggesting Rask gets a few  more starts is as drastic as you're making it out to be.Don't you think it would be beneficial to have TT play no more than 53-58 games?Brodeur was lights out in the regular season the last few years but come playoffs he looked tired.TT is no spring chicken either so I'm just looking for more of a Moog/Lemelin sort of platoon.We have the NHL's best tandem so why not take advantage of it?Cheers.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

THe bigger picture: the fact that Timmy has been standing on his head - again tonight against the PUNCHLESS Panthers - should make us look at how awful the D has been playing in front of him.   CJ's system?  Where is it?  People are charging into and staying in our zone like we're giving out free candy.
    Posted by ipot

It's tough for CJ to please.The system created 44 shots of offence and came out with the 2 points.other than some bad bounces and broken plays leading to odd-man rushes,I don't think Florida had THAT many opportunities.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Depending on how he looks, and how Rask looks I'd cheerfully go into the very low sixties as high as 64 if it will mean something. But people are talking like TT should play 43 games and Rask the rest, the stats don't support that, TT's play in long stretches of 6-8 games of good play in a row don't support that.

In Response to Re: TT must be rested : I'm not sure that suggesting Rask gets a few  more starts is as drastic as you're making it out to be.Don't you think it would be beneficial to have TT play no more than 53-58 games?Brodeur was lights out in the regular season the last few years but come playoffs he looked tired.TT is no spring chicken either so I'm just looking for more of a Moog/Lemelin sort of platoon.We have the NHL's best tandem so why not take advantage of it?Cheers.
    Posted by dezaruchi

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Raycroft is a great comparable for Rask. They've played they same number of games, and both teams on the right side of the team +/-, both teams currently lead their division. Rask has one better stat than Raycroft. Raycroft got 2.4 Goals of support in those ten Rask got 2.2 goals of support in his ten That's a pretty small difference to account for the win loss totals. And yes, Rask is younger, but so wasn't Toivennen, so wasn't Auld, so wasn't Joe MacDonald, and... And how many younger goalies of the future did it take to finally knock Osgood out? Or Hasek, or Brodour? TT has only had the starting job locked up once , that was last year where he had a hip injury and a broken hand. And again, one more time what about his melting in the playoffs? He's done it in the AHL, and the NHL. Like Mason, like others we could name Rask had a great rookie season, and now we're seeing the season after. More importantly there is no reason to take out the guy leading the NHL in GAA, Sv% and SO for a guy who with enough starts to qualify would be outside the top ten in all those categories. And if you're trying to push Thomas even better than he is right now you're risking injuring him. You claim he needs rest, and I don't disagree, but theres no need to push a guy who's playing record breaking hockey. The last time a goalie finished a season with a GAA under 2 with 41 or more starts was Backstrom in 06-07 with exactly 41, and a 1.97, TT is 16 games away from hitting the same number of starts, and before that it was Roloson , with 48 starts, and a 1.88 and neither of them had a .949 to hang next to it. If Rask wants the starting job, he needs to bide his time, and come in to camp and play lights out, that or pay someone to break one of TT's limbs, cause Thomas is even more in the zone than Crosby or Stamkos, and while he might float closer to earth than he is now, I don't see him crashing with about 3 games off per month, max, if Rask plays well. Rask, hasn't played well enough to earn more starts on this team, this year. Thomas just had four days off. He'll probably get to skip either the Tampa or Atlanta game on this trip and then he'll probably play the next couple since there's no back to backs. The next glut of games is the 10th through the end of January, and I'd pencil Rask in for the Senators on the 11th. and  maybe even one of the two Canes games. Thomas is the probably league MVP this season whether he gets the award or not, Rask has to be better than that for the coach and management to not lose the rest of the roster by playing him frequently over Thomas, period. In Response to Re: TT must be rested :
    Posted by bandgbleeder

Are you saying that you would prefer Raycroft to Rask?

Toivennen, Auld, Joe MacDonald - none showed the promise that Rask does.  Last I saw Hannu he was bad in the worst way, his reflexes just weren't there and was beat very cleanly time and time again - in the AHL.  Sat behind him.

re: Osgood, Hasek, or Brodeur, I see Rask replacing TT as #1 either when TT retires or in the last year of his contract.

re: Rask melting in the playoffs.  I agree.  Not quite the same situation as Mason as Rask had played in a handful of games 2 seasons before getting the full time back up job.  Mason came right from jr to the NHL, which is more typical of the flame out after rookie year.

I am NOT saying  Rask should get the #1. 

I am NOT saying TT should be pushed to play better, I am saying he should be rested more to preserve his current quality of play.  We are talking about a 36 year old.

And given he's 36, you have to have an eye toward the future.  I wonder if Brodeur is all washed up this year - at 38.  And true, Hasek played until he was 114 years old, but when was he done?  He's still playing now in Europe.

If the future isn't Rask, that's a problem.  There's nobody else in the system.  True, he could go the way of Hannu or 1000 others easy.  I'd rather find out sooner rather than later.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Depending on how he looks, and how Rask looks I'd cheerfully go into the very low sixties as high as 64 if it will mean something. But people are talking like TT should play 43 games and Rask the rest, the stats don't support that, TT's play in long stretches of 6-8 games of good play in a row don't support that. In Response to Re: TT must be rested :
    Posted by bandgbleeder

No, I think the most anyone said was a 60/40 split which is like 50 games.

I'm not into saying one goalie should get x many starts over the other.  I'm saying that if Rask looks really good, give him another start.  So I say play the hot hand if Rask wins.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from north1234. Show north1234's posts

totally agree with you bleeder... man ive been watching hockey for fifty some years and timmy is ranking as one of the greatest ive seen..the guy is surreal and if rask is tonight ..lord have mercy...i say start him tomorrow night...at least now were sure of a split down in florida.....maybe someone should check to see if rask has a pulse...one more chance then bruins better shop around for an adequate veteran backup  before the deadline...tank needs a break once in awhile  but has to be dependable..right now rask looks god awful even when he makes a save

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

TT won yet another one. He's not dropping off at all. He stole this win vs FL.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

totally agree with you bleeder... man ive been watching hockey for fifty some years and timmy is ranking as one of the greatest ive seen..the guy is surreal and if rask is tonight ..lord have mercy...i say start him tomorrow night...at least now were sure of a split down in florida.....maybe someone should check to see if rask has a pulse...one more chance then bruins better shop around for an adequate veteran backup  before the deadline...tank needs a break once in awhile  but has to be dependable..right now rask looks god awful even when he makes a save
    Posted by north1234

50 some odd years of watching hockey and "Rask looks  god-awful"?I'd like to know who you propose for a back-up because 29 other teams would like to have Boston's.I get it.You like TT but saying Rask has been awful is simply untrue.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

He's sounding more & more like R Miller!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Rask's record is more the result of the team's poor play in front of him. He's a super talented goalie but still too green to be stealing games every night like Thomas. The Bruins are set in goal for the first time since Moog/Lemelin and all people can do is complain about the goaltending? It's the guys in front of them, IMO.

Sections
Shortcuts