TT must be rested

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Re: TT must be rested

I didn't say Rask played awful. I said he hasn't played well enough to take anything but the minimum number of rest starts for Thomas. There are lots of worse goalies in the NHL. Right now the northeast has the best goaltending in the NHL with various team qualities in front of them, Thomas, Price, Miller, Rask. No other division boasts start qualiity (or potential) like that.

But if his name wasn't spelled with two U's and two K's, we wouldn't be having this debate (I hope) If he were say Clemmensen putting up the same numbers as Rask had, I can't see the nonsense about the start split.

In Response to Re: TT must be rested:
    [QUOTE]Rask's record is more the result of the team's poor play in front of him. He's a super talented goalie but still too green to be stealing games every night like Thomas. The Bruins are set in goal for the first time since Moog/Lemelin and all people can do is complain about the goaltending? It's the guys in front of them, IMO.
    Posted by niftybear[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

I in no way said that I prefer Raycroft to Rask. Simply that Raycroft, under very, very similar conditions (although admittedly the West is weaker this year) is out performing him. Raycroft at least in part seems to have his swagger back, Rask lost his late in the Buffalo series last year, and hasn't found it.

Yes, I'd prefer to find out he's not the solution now if that's the case, but not at the cost of home ice in at least the first round. There's still another year left on Rask's contract at a small cap hit, if he has to be buried, or traded so be it. I was never sold on him in the first place, I think he's very mechanical, and goalies who are tend to get picked apart as soon as the rythym of the machine is identified.

And while yes, TT is only a couple years younger than MB30, he's also played a lot less NHL games, which means way less guys piling into him, and reps reaching out to make that dazzling save.

Gothberg is probably three years away from getting a good luck by the club, but you're right, depth behind TT and TR is nearly puddle deep, and that's why I didn't want either one traded, at least not today.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TT must be rested : Are you saying that you would prefer Raycroft to Rask? Toivennen, Auld, Joe MacDonald - none showed the promise that Rask does.  Last I saw Hannu he was bad in the worst way, his reflexes just weren't there and was beat very cleanly time and time again - in the AHL.  Sat behind him. re: Osgood, Hasek, or Brodeur, I see Rask replacing TT as #1 either when TT retires or in the last year of his contract. re: Rask melting in the playoffs.  I agree.  Not quite the same situation as Mason as Rask had played in a handful of games 2 seasons before getting the full time back up job.  Mason came right from jr to the NHL, which is more typical of the flame out after rookie year. I am NOT saying  Rask should get the #1.  I am NOT saying TT should be pushed to play better, I am saying he should be rested more to preserve his current quality of play.  We are talking about a 36 year old. And given he's 36, you have to have an eye toward the future.  I wonder if Brodeur is all washed up this year - at 38.  And true, Hasek played until he was 114 years old, but when was he done?  He's still playing now in Europe. If the future isn't Rask, that's a problem.  There's nobody else in the system.  True, he could go the way of Hannu or 1000 others easy.  I'd rather find out sooner rather than later.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I in no way said that I prefer Raycroft to Rask. Simply that Raycroft, under very, very similar conditions (although admittedly the West is weaker this year) is out performing him. Raycroft at least in part seems to have his swagger back, Rask lost his late in the Buffalo series last year, and hasn't found it. Yes, I'd prefer to find out he's not the solution now if that's the case, but not at the cost of home ice in at least the first round. There's still another year left on Rask's contract at a small cap hit, if he has to be buried, or traded so be it. I was never sold on him in the first place, I think he's very mechanical, and goalies who are tend to get picked apart as soon as the rythym of the machine is identified. And while yes, TT is only a couple years younger than MB30, he's also played a lot less NHL games, which means way less guys piling into him, and reps reaching out to make that dazzling save. Gothberg is probably three years away from getting a good luck by the club, but you're right, depth behind TT and TR is nearly puddle deep, and that's why I didn't want either one traded, at least not today. In Response to Re: TT must be rested :
    Posted by bandgbleeder[/QUOTE]

To me it sounds like we're pretty much on the same page.

I wouldn't start Rask tonight v. Tampa and probably not Atlanta either.

I might give Rask Buffalo and Toronto for sure.

Being sold not sold on Rask...
    Lacher, Carey, Hannu, Raycroft.  Yikes.

I'm been watching goalies for an eternity.  I said they should have kept Dan Bouchard and dumped Eddy Johnston back middle part of the last century.

Rask is very athletic, solid on his skates and has great lateral movement.
    One weakness is high glove side, but one weakness like that can be fixed reasonably easily.

This is weird, but I swear some teams shoot at his collar bones.  He will block them with his shoulders, but then out comes a nice rebound.  I don't understand why that wouldn't work on any goalie.  I think it would work for me at pickup hockey, but then the goalie stick over my head wouldn't work so well for me.

Could Rask be a bust?  Yes.
    Are we sure he is a bust now?  No.
    Is he the goalie of the future?  Unknown.  I would rate him a better bet than previous busts.

And the numbers look to back it up.
    Carey on that ultra defensive team with the Caps .913
    Lacher's best .902
    Raycroft's best .926
    Hannu's best .914

Rask was .931 last year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I in no way said that I prefer Raycroft to Rask. Simply that Raycroft, under very, very similar conditions (although admittedly the West is weaker this year) is out performing him. Raycroft at least in part seems to have his swagger back, Rask lost his late in the Buffalo series last year, and hasn't found it. Yes, I'd prefer to find out he's not the solution now if that's the case, but not at the cost of home ice in at least the first round. There's still another year left on Rask's contract at a small cap hit, if he has to be buried, or traded so be it. I was never sold on him in the first place, I think he's very mechanical, and goalies who are tend to get picked apart as soon as the rythym of the machine is identified. And while yes, TT is only a couple years younger than MB30, he's also played a lot less NHL games, which means way less guys piling into him, and reps reaching out to make that dazzling save. Gothberg is probably three years away from getting a good luck by the club, but you're right, depth behind TT and TR is nearly puddle deep, and that's why I didn't want either one traded, at least not today. In Response to Re: TT must be rested :

Note.  I don't like Raycroft.  A good friend of mine, season ticket holder, bumped into him in a bar, I think it was right after the town hall meeting.  He bought Raycroft a beer and asked him if he had heard rumors of them bringing in someone else at the time (Belfour), this was before his first full season when he just got brought up.  He said something like "I hope not" and just left, no thank you, no offer to buy a beer in return.

Then his comments in the Globe when he left.  Said something to the effect of "I'm glad to be going to a REAL hockey town."  At the time I remember thinking yah pal, good luck in Toronto.  Then I read from Fluto that he left all his stuff behind in the Bruins locker room, 2 dozen custom sticks and all his stuff.

He strikes me as a jerk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TT must be rested : Note.  I don't like Raycroft.  A good friend of mine, season ticket holder, bumped into him in a bar, I think it was right after the town hall meeting.  He bought Raycroft a beer and asked him if he had heard rumors of them bringing in someone else at the time (Belfour), this was before his first full season when he just got brought up.  He said something like "I hope not" and just left, no thank you, no offer to buy a beer in return. Then his comments in the Globe when he left.  Said something to the effect of "I'm glad to be going to a REAL hockey town."  At the time I remember thinking yah pal, good luck in Toronto.  Then I read from Fluto that he left all his stuff behind in the Bruins locker room, 2 dozen custom sticks and all his stuff. He strikes me as a jerk.
    In his defense,I would expect a little bit of ill will from a former player with the way we,as fans,run them out of town.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Ya know both Bang & Badhab have solid points! I agree with both, but my take on the issue is BOTH goalies have shown a stamina problem. TT got completely wore out in 06-07 with 66 games. His number where he can play & play well into the play-offs seems to be that 55-57 range. This year he's on pace to play 60. Since the 06-07 season TT's ave shots against/game has been in the 28-31 range. This season is on pace for 33 per game. Now I know most of you on here will say 2 more shots isn't big of a deal. No, it's not for an average age goalie like Ryan Miller. However, TT maybe what we call a young 36 yr old as far as NHL goalie yrs go, but stamina is crucial for a goalie come play-off time. TT playing above his games where he's shown to be the most effective & the number of shots he's facing in the overall scheme of things can make a difference between a good goalie in the 2nd round, to a great one in the Stanley Cup Final.
    Rask is on pace to play 24 games! That's not enough for a goalie that NEEDS not only work on his STAMINA issues, but also some others as well. He CANNOT PROGRESS playing 24 stinkin games this season! We as fans can't EXPECT him to be thrown into the play-offs if TT gets hurt, or- excuse the pun "Tanks" in the play-offs- And Rask play well. However, CJ has NEVER in his coaching career changed goalies in the play-offs because of his play. Unless he talks to his dog the way Cherry did in 79 & switch from Cheevers to Gilbert. So, if we go along as we are. The B's are placing a bomb that may not go off. Then again, it could blow up in their faces.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Who's starting tonite? Anyone know?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Rask is a fine goalie. And we should have all the confidence in him.  It's the D in front of him that has playing loose and carelessly . TT has been victimized by this as well.   Rask has just hit some bad luck.  A goalie can only stand on his head without any help for a while.  
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]
    We're fortunate to have 2 of the leagues best goalies.Most people would have trouble naming 10 goalies they would take ahead of Rask(taking age,etc.into account).I'm sure there are many on here who will disagree but I still think Rask will be among the league's best for  many years to come.Bring on the haters......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TT must be rested : We're fortunate to have 2 of the leagues best goalies.Most people would have trouble naming 10 goalies they would take ahead of Rask(taking age,etc.into account).I'm sure there are many on here who will disagree but I still think Rask will be among the league's best for  many years to come.Bring on the haters......
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Well Dez IMO neither will the best they're capable come play-off time if the B's overplay one & underplay the other.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Will Rask playthis road trip? Maybe in Jan? Surely they've got the Devils or the Isles coming up soon. Maybe then?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Wow!! First time this season Thomas plays back to back games?? What's up with CJ? Going against his usual modus operendi.. What gives?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Really? I thought TT was in for the 8-1 thrashing on Dec 1. then the 3-0 win against Philly on Dec 2?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins09. Show bruins09's posts

After watching tonights game against Tampa Thomas absolutely needs a rest.  Beat on 1 wrap around and almost another, he is spent.  Play Rask next game....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I definitely noticed TT catching his breath and getting up slowly onj many plays. Rask will not stay sharp if he remains on the bench.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]I definitely noticed TT catching his breath and getting up slowly onj many plays. Rask will not stay sharp if he remains on the bench.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Probably because he was tired of stopping breakaways , and close in scoring opportunities by TB.. How many goals did he prevent tonite again... Last night was ridiculous the great scoring chances he stopped Florida on.... tonite , same thing.... B's D has been terrible lately.. Maybe if they helped out even a little bit TT would not be fending for himself.. This D is leaking oil..badly!! another 30+ shots on net .. B's used to give up barely 20 shots on net..now its 30 , 40 night in and night out..

I would be tired too carrying this team!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Rask is a fine goalie. And we should have all the confidence in him.  It's the D in front of him that has playing loose and carelessly . TT has been victimized by this as well.   Rask has just hit some bad luck.  A goalie can only stand on his head without any help for a while.  
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

Rask doesn't stand on his head.  He falls to his knees.  Every time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Part of the issue with TT is pure physicality in front. Kampfer and McQuaid are not the same brand of net front physical as Stuart can be, and the communication with those two rookies isn't to the same level. I Like both guys, but neither is polished.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TT must be rested : Probably because he was tired of stopping breakaways , and close in scoring opportunities by TB.. How many goals did he prevent tonite again... Last night was ridiculous the great scoring chances he stopped Florida on.... tonite , same thing.... B's D has been terrible lately.. Maybe if they helped out even a little bit TT would not be fending for himself.. This D is leaking oil..badly!! another 30+ shots on net .. B's used to give up barely 20 shots on net..now its 30 , 40 night in and night out.. I would be tired too carrying this team!!
    Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Isn't the idea of playing regular season hockey to win enough games to actually get into the playoffs ? Although the B's are in 1st place in their division they are still only 8 points away from being 9th in the conference. I like Rask but TT is on fire at the present moment and they need points. If you guys feel that Rask needs to get in there because TT looks tired then you will see Thomas refreshed for the playoffs. Before the playoffs start, with a remote in his hand ! The Bruins are 18-4-3 with TT between the pipes, Rask 2-7-1. IMO , worry about rest for TT and getting the cobwebs off of Rask when in a more comfortable playoff position . Not now !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Isn't the idea of playing regular season hockey to win enough games to actually get into the playoffs ? Although the B's are in 1st place in their division they are still only 8 points away from being 9th in the conference. I like Rask but TT is on fire at the present moment and they need points. If you guys feel that Rask needs to get in there because TT looks tired then you will see Thomas refreshed for the playoffs. Before the playoffs start, with a remote in his hand ! The Bruins are 18-4-3 with TT between the pipes, Rask 2-7-1. IMO , worry about rest for TT and getting the cobwebs off of Rask when in a more comfortable playoff position . Not now !
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    A 9 point cushion is reasonable  at this point in the season but on the other hand I don't care who's in as long as the wins are coming.I'd like to see rask get more starts but CJ can cross that bridge when he gets to it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TT must be rested : A 9 point cushion is reasonable  at this point in the season but on the other hand I don't care who's in as long as the wins are coming.I'd like to see rask get more starts but CJ can cross that bridge when he gets to it.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

It is reasonable for only one reason . Tim Thomas ! Don't get me wrong . I like Tuukka a lot but for the moment , ride the goalie that is getting the W's.  2 wins out of 10 games ? That's not good enough. That would only bring the " fire Julien " fans back out and this team needs to move forward ( if they are to have any success ) from that negative environment . Not regress back to it. Ride him while he's hot and then make the move if needed.

P.S. Dez , this is a can't win situation ( with some fans ) with making the decision on who the starting goalie is.
    If CJ chooses TT then they say he is overusing him and Tuukka is rotting on the bench. If he switches to Tuukka while TT is winning and the B's lose they'd complain why is he taking TT out when he is winning ?

To me I'd like to see both goalies playing and winning but the truth is the team hasn't won with Rask in the net. His play has been ok this year but the team hasn't played good in front of him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]After watching tonights game against Tampa Thomas absolutely needs a rest.  Beat on 1 wrap around and almost another, he is spent.  Play Rask next game....
    Posted by bruins09[/QUOTE]

I think even 3 games ago TT would have stopped that wrap around.

TT plays a very physical game, he's doing acrobatics back there all game.  He must have the most fatiguing style in the NHL.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

My two biggest problems with Rask over all are 1) he goes down to early sometimes and also stays down 2) He needs to track the puck better through moderate traffic.

This year his biggest problem is between his ears.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TT must be rested : Rask doesn't stand on his head.  He falls to his knees.  Every time.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

I'd say the fatigue is more mental the physical right now. They did just have the Christmas break. And let's face it, bad as he's been the last couple years, Vinny is no slouch.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TT must be rested : I think even 3 games ago TT would have stopped that wrap around. TT plays a very physical game, he's doing acrobatics back there all game.  He must have the most fatiguing style in the NHL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]My two biggest problems with Rask over all are 1) he goes down to early sometimes and also stays down 2) He needs to track the puck better through moderate traffic. This year his biggest problem is between his ears. In Response to Re: TT must be rested :

How so?  Please elaborate...