Tuning out a coach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Tuning out a coach

Perhaps this is a mis-titled post, perhaps not. Although many of the "fans" and fans on BDC have been pretty disappointed in the Bruins play as of late and have called for Claude's head.. yet again. They can't score goals. The system sucks. They've tuned him out. Maybe they have. Who is to say, none of us are in that locker room.

But IMO all of that is on the players, the system is what it is and its not the life-sucking, creativity-destroying entity that many Claude-haters claim it is. Its ALL on the players and that's what disappoints me the most. The team that I love to watch has changed... and I hope they change back.

2012-2013: G/G 2.65 Rank: 13th

2011-2012: G/G 3.17 Rank: 3rd

2010-2011: G/G 2.98 Rank: 5th

2009-2010: G/G 2.39 Rank: Last

Those are some pretty stupid players if they have baled on a system that had made them a top of the league scoring team.

Just my two cents... hope they re-buy in the playoffs!
    Go Bruins!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Tuning out a coach

Lucic and Peverley in the tank.

Marchand, Kelly and Bergeron injury issues.

That has to be .5 per game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Lucic and Peverley in the tank.

Marchand, Kelly and Bergeron injury issues.

That has to be .5 per game.

Too easy and not the answer IMO... Bergeron has played 42/48, Marchand 45/48, Kelly if you REALLY want to include him 34/48. It doesn't add up. That doesn't pass the "eye test" either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Okay.

Third line

Ryder to

Pouliot to

Bourque/Caron

There are more missing goals.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Looking at some other numbers, it seems to be the drop in points comes a little from Lucic, and a lot from the season-long ineptitude of the 3rd line.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

The 1st & 3rd line production. 1st line was sporatic all season and 3rd line production was nearly non-exsistent.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

The difference is 22 goals.

Give Lucic 10 more.

Need to find 12 goals.

Five for Peverley?

Need to find 7.

Five for Kelly?

Need to find 2.

One for Boychuk.

Need to find one.

Third line winger.

Done.

Lots of guys ended up below their 2011-12 averages this short season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Against Pitt down a goal with a minute left in the 3rd period - this team was waiting in the neutral zone.

Call it what ever you like, that's the mindset. Hopefully they ALL make changes in the post season and start to play to win, and not to lose. (see playing with a lead )

My "end game" is loyalty to the franchise and not any coach, player or "system"

BTW those stats mean zero because the roster has changed every year. Also Reg season stats mean squat in the playoffs.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Perhaps this is a mis-titled post, perhaps not. Although many of the "fans" and fans on BDC have been pretty disappointed in the Bruins play as of late and have called for Claude's head.. yet again. They can't score goals. The system sucks. They've tuned him out. Maybe they have. Who is to say, none of us are in that locker room.

But IMO all of that is on the players, the system is what it is and its not the life-sucking, creativity-destroying entity that many Claude-haters claim it is. Its ALL on the players and that's what disappoints me the most. The team that I love to watch has changed... and I hope they change back.

2010-2011: G/G 2.98 Rank: 5th

2009-2010: G/G 2.39 Rank: Last

Those are some pretty stupid players if they have baled on a system that had made them a top of the league scoring team.

Just my two cents... hope they re-buy in the playoffs!
    Go Bruins!!

perhaps the league has adjusted to Cload's system and he has not countered with any kind of adjustments of his own, dont even get me started on the power play that has sucked for 2 years

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

Team has changed quickly, adding Jagr, Redden and Soderberg with very little practise time and add injuries the Bruins have little time to jell. Other players did not play to their best and cj had to compinsate with what he had. The Bruins have not tuned out their coach they have not had the time to be together as a team to get it together. The confusion is injuries and where to put players to fit the correct rolls and it has been difficult for CJ.

]Injuries to Bergie, Marchand, Kelly and others have hurt the Bruins and trying to get the chemestry gone back to where it should be has been very hard. The good news for the Bruins is that they will be healthy going into the playoffs, but they have not had enough time to play together as a team to make a difference in such a short time. I have to admit that it took time for me to realise this and have come down hard on the Bruins for the poor play.

A heathy Bruins with some time to get it together may make some noise in the playoffs and Looch becoming more of a force will help push us along, but this whole team has to buy in and play hard to advance and this is not the coaches fault. This team has to play with pride and play not to lose.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Okay.

Third line

Ryder to

Pouliot to

Bourque/Caron

There are more missing goals.

NAS, youre not quite seeing my point. My point wasn't that their goal-scoring has gone down or up, the point was that "the system" isn't "a pack 5 in the defensive zone-goal scoring abyss" that many make it out to be. My point was, when the system is played well, it can lead to goal-scoring. And at the current time.. its not doing either. System hasn't changed, players arent buying in. And if you cant notice a difference in their play from the past two seasons to this, its not because Michael Ryder isn't on the team...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

CJ needs to get the players back into roles which suit their talent and level of performance. Krejci and Jagr need to be brought together for a start.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS, youre not quite seeing my point. My point wasn't that their goal-scoring has gone down or up, the point was that "the system" isn't "a pack 5 in the defensive zone-goal scoring abyss" that many make it out to be. My point was, when the system is played well, it can lead to goal-scoring. And at the current time.. its not doing either. System hasn't changed, players arent buying in. And if you cant notice a difference in their play from the past two seasons to this, its not because Michael Ryder isn't on the team...

Obviously this is your opinion, and that's great.

My opinion is that your goal scoring stats don't support your "they aren't buying in" theory.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Want to know? Simple. They're just not getting the necessary bounces.

Chris Kelly scored 20 last year. Seguin had 29 last year, and is on what would be 25 goal pace this year. Lucic totally fell off the map. Horton is slightly lower. Peverley would have been a 60 point guy if not for injuries last year! He's fallen off the map. The only improved player is Marchand, with Bergeron and Krejci pretty much staying pat, with Krejci being held back by Lucic/Horton. I have no idea who scored on all of his assists; it couldn't have all been those two!

They need to capitalize on their chances. People just flat out aren't finishing. All they would have needed is another goal every 2 games and they would have had the same numbers as last year! It's not the system at all; it clearly can work if they stick to it. They're just not burying their chances. I don't know how many open looks they want on one timers that they miss the net, rebounds that they hit right into the goalie, or 2-on-1's where they force the pass into a defenseman who is lying down on the ice when they have the open shot! They get tons and tons of opportunities, but they're just not finishing. I think they're all (particularly Seguin and Marchand recently) gripping their sticks a little tight and aren't feeling very confident.

The thing that is a glimmer of light is that this team hasn't peaked yet. Yes, they played sound hockey early in the year and were figuring out ways to win games (some of which they probably shouldn't have won), but aside from Rask's goaltending, I don't think this team has come close to peaking at any point, offensively or defensively. All of their wins were 3-2, 2-1 or 1-0. 2 years ago, their offense peaked from rounds 2-4 after being just solid all year. They toughed out the first round of the playoffs, and then exploded after that. Last year, they peaked in November/December, and couldn't re-capture the magic. This year? They haven't had it yet. I'm not certain that they will, but you get one chance each year to get that magic, and that's the hope that I'm holding on to.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:

CJ needs to get the players back into roles which suit their talent and level of performance. Krejci and Jagr need to be brought together for a start.

I wouldn't be against Claude going back to the lines that made them a contender in the first place, and filling out the other lines as necessary.

Lucic-Krejci-Horton

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin

Soderberg-Peverley-Jagr

Paille-Campbell-Kelly

After a few weeks of shuffling the lines, it may have gotten some creativity going with the players, and now they can return to what's most comfortable. Obviously, the lines they tried haven't worked. Now, their best bet is to just give it a go with what got them there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Obviously this is your opinion, and that's great.

My opinion is that your goal scoring stats don't support your "they aren't buying in" theory.

Using your logic then, your opposing theory necessarily is (based on your rebuttals)... "This team is playing well within the Bruins' system and a couple goals here and there would support my theory."?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

Want to know? Simple. They're just not getting the necessary bounces.

Chris Kelly scored 20 last year. Seguin had 29 last year, and is on what would be 25 goal pace this year. Lucic totally fell off the map. Horton is slightly lower. Peverley would have been a 60 point guy if not for injuries last year! He's fallen off the map. The only improved player is Marchand, with Bergeron and Krejci pretty much staying pat, with Krejci being held back by Lucic/Horton. I have no idea who scored on all of his assists; it couldn't have all been those two!

They need to capitalize on their chances. People just flat out aren't finishing. All they would have needed is another goal every 2 games and they would have had the same numbers as last year! It's not the system at all; it clearly can work if they stick to it. They're just not burying their chances. I don't know how many open looks they want on one timers that they miss the net, rebounds that they hit right into the goalie, or 2-on-1's where they force the pass into a defenseman who is lying down on the ice when they have the open shot! They get tons and tons of opportunities, but they're just not finishing. I think they're all (particularly Seguin and Marchand recently) gripping their sticks a little tight and aren't feeling very confident.

The thing that is a glimmer of light is that this team hasn't peaked yet. Yes, they played sound hockey early in the year and were figuring out ways to win games (some of which they probably shouldn't have won), but aside from Rask's goaltending, I don't think this team has come close to peaking at any point, offensively or defensively. All of their wins were 3-2, 2-1 or 1-0. 2 years ago, their offense peaked from rounds 2-4 after being just solid all year. They toughed out the first round of the playoffs, and then exploded after that. Last year, they peaked in November/December, and couldn't re-capture the magic. This year? They haven't had it yet. I'm not certain that they will, but you get one chance each year to get that magic, and that's the hope that I'm holding on to.

I can buy this other than the fact that, without any exact instances other than what my eyes show me night in and night out, they just don't seem to be "dancing with the one that brought them there". They some more reactive than pro-active and aren't taking it to the opposition as in the past.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Using your logic then, your opposing theory necessarily is (based on your rebuttals)... "This team is playing well within the Bruins' system and a couple goals here and there would support my theory."?

The fact is that goal scoring is down.  Why that is the case has many diffferent possible answers.  It doesn't mean that the players have tuned out the coach or aren't buying into the system.  If Lucic didn't have his struggles this season and had 10 more goals (reasonable to expect from Lucic), the B's would be in 7th overall in goal scoring. 

If the B's were in 7th overall in goal scoring, would you still be telling us that the players haven't bought into the system this year?

If the Leafs hadn't traded for Van Riemsdyk and/or Kadri hadn't come out blazing, the B's would be in 6th in the above scenario.  If Ovechkin hadn't returned to being Ovechkin, the B's likely would have been in fifth.

So, if the B's were in fifth overall for goal scoring per game, would you still be telling us that the players haven't bought into the system?  Does Lucic's struggles and the emergence of the Toronto forwards along with a return to glory for Ovechkin signify that Tyler Seguin and Nathan Horton aren't doing what Julien asks them to do?

Obviously not. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

The fact is that goal scoring is down.  Why that is the case has many diffferent possible answers.  It doesn't mean that the players have tuned out the coach or aren't buying into the system.  If Lucic didn't have his struggles this season and had 10 more goals (reasonable to expect from Lucic), the B's would be in 7th overall in goal scoring. 

If the B's were in 7th overall in goal scoring, would you still be telling us that the players haven't bought into the system this year?

If the Leafs hadn't traded for Van Riemsdyk and/or Kadri hadn't come out blazing, the B's would be in 6th in the above scenario.  If Ovechkin hadn't returned to being Ovechkin, the B's likely would have been in fifth.

So, if the B's were in fifth overall for goal scoring per game, would you still be telling us that the players haven't bought into the system?  Does Lucic's struggles and the emergence of the Toronto forwards along with a return to glory for Ovechkin signify that Tyler Seguin and Nathan Horton aren't doing what Julien asks them to do?

Obviously not. 

In a shortened season, it makes cold streaks look worse in terms of their rankings, and lots of people aren't really understanding that. The only player who has performed at a consistently high level has been Bergeron, and even he hasn't been lights out offensively. In a regular 82-game schedule, I'd expect most of them would pick their stats up, and would surge up the goal-scoring ranks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

[QUOTE]

Although many of the "fans" and fans on BDC have been pretty disappointed in the Bruins play as of late and have called for Claude's head.. yet again. They can't score goals. The system sucks. They've tuned him out. Maybe they have. Who is to say, none of us are in that locker room.

I'm saying its NOT the system that's the issue, NAS. It's the players. If you think, using your eyes, that the Bruins are just a goal here and there from being the same team we've seen over the past few years, well, I don't know what game IM watching.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It is a different team.  The reason?  UNKNOWN.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Maybe, but for the most part this is an experienced team that has played the same system for multiple years, so they should be able to do what claude wants in their sleep. The injuries, particularly Bergeron's and Marchand's did hurt the offense. Claude's juggling didn't produce what he hoped; the addition of Jagr was a mixed bag in that his skills and style, don't necessarily match Claude's defense first last, and always. Soderberg's addition has been mixed because he didn't have much time to learn or practice the way Claude, and the other players, have been committed for multiple years. The biggest failure was how everyone, including Chara, thought they should pass to Jagr, all the time, not necessarily when he was open. The 3rd line success of Kelly/Peverly never emerged once Kelly was injured, and Peverly was moved every which way. Thornton continues to give 200% every game, but that doesn't produce skills and results. He should have been replaced by Daugavins long ago It's not necessarily Claude's style that is questionable, but his decisions certainly are not producing results.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

This team has appeared emotionless for weeks; looking neither nasty nor like they are having any fun, robotic, tired.

In many ways, they are very much a manifestation of their Coach's imagination, they are made in Claude's likeness. It mostly works

I feel for them, hearing the same droning humourless and dry entreatments every other day since February 18th!

But now it is the Playoffs, when the Players take over. They either want it or they don't. In many ways it is their time to break away from the constraints a 'system' imposes on the spirit of a hockey player. The all know what this means. Claude decides ice-time, who goes out with whom, in which key situations. the closest thing to a set-play being an offensive zone face-off (for which he has the best in the game, Bergeron). But otherwise, the players take over, the leaders on the hockey side of the boards, take over. Games are won with creativity at top speed, reacting the right way more than the other guy. Series are won with political will

Cups are won by the guys most in touch with their inner 14 year old, by the team with the most kids at heart, by the team that loves the game the most.

Claude needs to remember to get out of the way more, open and close the bench door, let these guys remember how to love the game. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I'm with the fact that scoring has been a struggle for this team and that has nothing to do with Julien because you could see the Bruins are trying, on most nights they are outshooting their opponents.  Also when they have been in the lead how many times did we say they couldn't put the game away ,  to me this means they didn't sit back and play a defensive system , they tried scoring more goals and failed.

What didn't help Julien was the lack of practicing his system.    

When this season is done we'll get a better picture if there was a malaise (injury) within the team and/or with a specific player(s).  i.e. Horton , Chara , Lucic