Tuning out a coach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Tuning out a coach

"this team was waiting in the neutral zone. Call it what ever you like, that's the mindset."

When you are at games you can see after every television timeout two Bruin forwards are at center ice, opposing defenders are allowed to come right through the neutral zone. So if you are calling for this to miraculously stop you can forget it.

@Sportsnutty - You put up numbers and were given numbers back that explained where those could have gone to. Lucic, Peverley and terrible choices on the 3rd line really is the drop in goals per.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

This team has appeared emotionless for weeks; looking neither nasty nor like they are having any fun, robotic, tired.

In many ways, they are very much a manifestation of their Coach's imagination, they are made in Claude's likeness. It mostly works

I feel for them, hearing the same droning humourless and dry entreatments every other day since February 18th!

But now it is the Playoffs, when the Players take over. They either want it or they don't. In many ways it is their time to break away from the constraints a 'system' imposes on the spirit of a hockey player. The all know what this means. Claude decides ice-time, who goes out with whom, in which key situations. the closest thing to a set-play being an offensive zone face-off (for which he has the best in the game, Bergeron). But otherwise, the players take over, the leaders on the hockey side of the boards, take over. Games are won with creativity at top speed, reacting the right way more than the other guy. Series are won with political will

Cups are won by the guys most in touch with their inner 14 year old, by the team with the most kids at heart, by the team that loves the game the most.

Claude needs to remember to get out of the way more, open and close the bench door, let these guys remember how to love the game. 

I'm not sticking up for the coach here, but it amazes how so many say the same kinds of things.  The most knowledgable here, could only lightly summarize CJ's coaching style.  We know he's a defense first guy.  That's about it.  We have no clue how he interacts with his players.  There is nothing to suggest anything about him, that stymies his players.

I submit the biggest problem as seen by the masses, is Claude's "look".  Humpty Dumpty, Clod, they all suggest the same thing.  And really nothing, cept camera presense to drive that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Lucic and Peverley in the tank.

Marchand, Kelly and Bergeron injury issues.

That has to be .5 per game.

Too easy and not the answer IMO... Bergeron has played 42/48, Marchand 45/48, Kelly if you REALLY want to include him 34/48. It doesn't add up. That doesn't pass the "eye test" either.

really? I think that makes perfect sense. Lucic and Peverley in the tank more so than the injury problems. But let's take a look at the numbers. Lucic scored 7 this year, last two years he averaged 28 goals in 80 games. That should have been 17 goals this year. So, already the Bs are missing 10. Doing the same thing peverley had 6 but should have had 10. Kelly had 3, also should have had 10. Just with those three, that's 21 goals. The bruins scored 127 goals. 148 would have had them 3rd in goals for behind chicago and pittsburgh (one behind chicago)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Part of the reason has to be the shortened season.  If it takes your team 10 games to find their offensive rhythm, thats 20-25% of the season.  10 games in we were still trying to determine what we had.

If it takes 5 games to gel w/ Jagr (and other acquisitions), thats a portion of the season as well.

Also, goalies dont play everyday, while skaterss do.  I would submit that goalies are more rested at this point in the season (relative to skaters) than usual.

And beware small sample sizes.  If Lucic goes on a 10-15 game cold streak, thats a large portion of this season and will have a larger impact on overall stats than if it had been a regular , full-length season.

Who cares.  A new season begins tomorrow.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I agree with both NAS and Nutty - it's the players.  For whatever reason, they have not matched their previous scoring numbers.  They also haven't descended to 2009-10 frustration.

I fully believe that people would be saying this team can't score if Lucic had another ten goals and Peverley another six - because people have never stopped complaining about the need for a sniper, a Bobby Ryan, an Iginla, a Perry a whoever-the-e-harmony-profile of the month is.  There's a persistent perception that team goal totals are somehow diminished if you don't have a guy or two with high personal numbers. That argument almost always comes down to the last 5 minutes of a close game, wanting that one guy who can bury it better than almost anyone in the league. 

I would argue - thinking of guys like Kessel - that that's not necessarily a sniper.  It's a guy with a sense of "the moment".  They have a few of these guys: Marchand has always had that knack to raise his game when the stakes are high.  Bergeron does it.  Krejci does it.  Lucic has a history of doing it that we forget because his last two playoffs weren't score-fests.  If not for the defensive breakdowns in 2010, he would be remembered for setting the tone to avoid teh collapse by getting the Bruins comfortably out in front of the Flyers.  And of course, Horton had a pretty good knack for important goals in the three series plus of playoff hockey he's seen in his career.

I will never forget the disappointment of the late 80s and early 90s Bruins when the combination of Janney-Neely or Oates-Neely plus Bourque and quality goaltending made the Bruins look like contenders.  They could close, though, because they were vulnerable to one of those cornerstones being injured (Neely) or to teams focusing all of their defensive effort on shutting down the top line and getting more goals from the rest of their team than the Bruins did.  Against the Oilers in 1990, the Bruins had a total of 8 goals in 5 games.  Neely had 0.  Bourque had three, and Hawgood a fourth by the D, leaving a total of 4 goals by the forwards on a top-heavy team.  Three of the four were by guys who scored their only goal of the playoffs - Byce, Johnston, and Byers.  The warlord of mars had the other - giving him a surprising six to make him the 3rd on the team for the playoffs behind Neely and Poulin (who was great that year) and ahead of Propp, Janney, Burridge, and even Bourque.  They never got to the Finals again partly because of the peak of Mario's career, but also the depth of those Penguin teams that the Bruins couldn't match.  It's one of the reasons that I'm willing to live with a team that relies on depth and a number of guys who are capable of stepping up to seize the moment.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I'm completely fine with Marchand and Seguin being our "snipers" for the next 4 seasons. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

I'm completely fine with Marchand and Seguin being our "snipers" for the next 4 seasons. 

I am fine with Marchand, although I would like to see Seguin pick up his performance over that time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

@Sportsnutty - You put up numbers and were given numbers back that explained where those could have gone to. Lucic, Peverley and terrible choices on the 3rd line really is the drop in goals per.

I never once attributed ANYTHING to their lack of goal-scoring. In fact, if anything (which i used the word IF) their lack of goal-scoring could be attributed to NOT playing within the system. My point was, if you read the original post, that PEOPLE (not myself) who attribute the current lack of goal-scoring to the "PLAYING in the system".. then the data I gave refutes that.

Thanks for your comment though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"My point was, when the system is played well, it can lead to goal-scoring."

I don't think that a terrible forecheck and bad puck possesion has anything to do with "the system". I don't think "the system", when down right, leads to scoring.

I do think the reason Ryder scored more goals in Dallas was because he wasn't in the system.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

"My point was, when the system is played well, it can lead to goal-scoring."

I don't think that a terrible forecheck and bad puck possesion has anything to do with "the system". I don't think "the system", when down right, leads to scoring.

I do think the reason Ryder scored more goals in Dallas was because he wasn't in the system.

How can you misquote me, even AFTER you quoted me lol

I said it "CAN" lead to scoring as evidenced by their recent scoring history. Not it DOES lead to it. It allows for the possibility, not promotes, doesn't stifle.. see the difference?

I do think a terrible forecheck and bad puck possession has everything to do with NOT playing WELL in "the system". This is a dump-in and cycle team.. when they dont win battles, they lose.

Agree to disagree per Ryder, maybe it did, maybe it didnt. But after Kessel was liberated from the stifling system he scored only a single goal more than his career high IN the system.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"It allows for the possibility"

How ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

How ?

Does being 3rd and 5th in the NHL in scoring not illustrate that it allows for the possibility to score a lot of goals? Or are you one of those that think the Julien system means 5 guys planted in the defensive zone all game?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to ThatHockeyGuy's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

I am fine with Marchand, although I would like to see Seguin pick up his performance over that time.

while his points per game didn't increase this year, his goals per game did. next year i am looking for a huge improvement on the PP. In a perfect world, i'd like to see him find his spot, and unleash about 13-15 one timer goals on the PP next season. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

How ?

Does being 3rd and 5th in the NHL in scoring not illustrate that it allows for the possibility to score a lot of goals? Or are you one of those that think the Julien system means 5 guys planted in the defensive zone all game?

Skill puts the puck in the net. Daugvins will be in the AHL next year becuase he lacks skill. Peverley was waived by Nashville and dumped this summer or traded becuase of lacl of consistent skill. Horton knew to drive to the net with his stick on the ice during the 3rd period of the Tampa game 7 becuase of skill.

Sections
Shortcuts