Turco not eligible to play in the playoffs, WHY?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Turco not eligible to play in the playoffs, WHY?

Can someone explain this too me? Why Turco is not eligible for the playoffs? Is it only because he was signed after the trade deadline. I think this is a stupid rule. The B's have a legitimate reason for signing a back up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mamico3308. Show mamico3308's posts

Re: Turco not eligible to play in the playoffs, WHY?

The rule as I understand it was in the CBA to prevent teams from circumventing the cap by burying players in Europe to stack the team for the playoffs(where there is no salary cap).  Unfortunately it does affect the occasional legitimate needs.  Also note that since it was past the trade deadline that if he was claimed by another team, he would have been ineligible to play at all for the claiming team, so the rule did help because someone like Tampa didn't bother putting in a claim because it would not have helped them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

I do agree with this rule cause of the above thread it is only fair to all NHL teams. We can't predict injuries that is why I like team depth is important to a roster when unfortunate injuries happen.

Looking at the bruins depth which is mediocre until next year the bruins will be better prepare depth wise in the minors. It also gives the staff a better perception who is NHL ready just like Sauve who just was called up cause of Poopalot's injury. I enjoy watching call ups to see what there capabilities are.

Turco is sign for one year meaning we can have hin ready for next season's training camp. If Turco can show his worthiness and still has something left in the tank will be a bonus for the bruins mngt. Turco getting a chance to play in the remaining season will be like an high intensity training camp. Next year Thomas (rask UFA contract negoiatioins) and having Turco as a substitute for next season is fine and dandy in my book.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Ya, thats what I was thinking, you know, bringing someone in late in the season to help out. I think they should maybe have some sort of way to make a case to allow certain players play. Teams can submit a claim to the NHL, then have the NHL decide whether the case is legitimate or not. If it passes through the NHL due to unforseen circumstances, then he is approved to play and play in the playoffs. If an injury does occur, say like Rask, have 3rd party doctors check him out and not just rely on team doctors. This would substantiate the claim. Then of course if the injured player is cleared to play, then he would resume his responsibilties, leaving the other player out of the line up and ineligible to play, (Turco)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Turco will not be in training camp this fall and proof of that is he was playing Austria this past season (that's pretty much his last it for an NHL player). Marty was signed for one reason only to bridge a time gap until Khudobin is over his wrist injury.

Bruins depth have them 3 games shy of being 20 games over .500, this not so great depth almost beat one of the best teams in the NHL on their home ice last Sunday and beat a team that almost stole a win from the Penguins last night.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Does make for an interesting discussion if Turco, as he says, still has some capability in his tank. After the season, when Timmy's no trade expires, could Turco be Tuuka's back-up next year?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbbfan40. Show bbbfan40's posts

Please bury the idea that Turco is a solid backup. He couldn't beat out Ray Emery in Chicago and couldn't find employment on 29 other rosters. The only reason he is in Boston is because Khudobin is injured. Rask isn't going anywhere unless someone wants to give up high draft choices for a couple of years. Rather have Rask at 4.5M-5M than Nash at 7.8M. The truly big problem is the belief that Rask will come back from a severe groin/abdomen (?) injury and be game ready for the playoff in 6 weeks. Khudobin better be ready because he's going to be Thomas's backup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In the event the Bruins win the cup this year ( big if ) Turco wouldn't even qualify to get his name on the cup. You have to have played at least 41 games during the season or at least 1 game in the finals. Neither will happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

In Response to Re: Turco not eligible to play in the playoffs, WHY?:
    Please bury the idea that Turco is a solid backup. He couldn't beat out Ray Emery in Chicago and couldn't find employment on 29 other rosters. The only reason he is in Boston is because Khudobin is injured. Rask isn't going anywhere unless someone wants to give up high draft choices for a couple of years. Rather have Rask at 4.5M-5M than Nash at 7.8M. The truly big problem is the belief that Rask will come back from a severe groin/abdomen (?) injury and be game ready for the playoff in 6 weeks. Khudobin better be ready because he's going to be Thomas's backup.
    Posted by bbbfan40

EXACTLY!!!  If Khudobin were healthy, Turco wouldn't be here to begin with.  From what I've read Khudo is about 2 weeks from returning.  Give him a few games down at Providence and then bring him up.  Also, Khudo is on a 1-way NHL contract next year.  He can't be sent down as there is no chance he would clear waivers.  Chiarelli and co. are high on this kid and I for one am anxious to see him play.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

In the event the Bruins win the cup this year ( big if ) Turco wouldn't even qualify to get his name on the cup. You have to have played at least 41 games during the season or at least 1 game in the finals. Neither will happen.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

Then explain how Rask would get his name on the cup. Doesnt have 41 games under his belt nor did he play in the cup last year. So, not sure how that works for goalies.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Turco not eligible to play in the playoffs, WHY? : Then explain how Rask would get his name on the cup. Doesnt have 41 games under his belt nor did he play in the cup last year. So, not sure how that works for goalies.
    Posted by bgrif008

Back-up goalies are different. I think they have to have a minimum of 20-25 games played. I'm not sure of the exact number.

Sections
Shortcuts