Tuukka contract coming ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: Tuukka contract coming ?

Can anyone see the B's taking that kind of risk? Handing the keys to the net over to Khudo or Sveds? Not their style. They WILL resign Tuukka, perhaps even in the manner outlined by book. makes lots of sense to do it that way and I'm sure they have thought the same thing and it's just a matter of whether Tuuka and his rep play along.

Khudo will be gone, even though they would like to keep him, he wants to start. It won't be here. That likely means Svedberg will be the back-up. he's their guy and will not cost them as much as a good veteran back-up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:

Can anyone see the B's taking that kind of risk? Handing the keys to the net over to Khudo or Sveds? Not their style. They WILL resign Tuukka, perhaps even in the manner outlined by book. makes lots of sense to do it that way and I'm sure they have thought the same thing and it's just a matter of whether Tuuka and his rep play along.

Khudo will be gone, even though they would like to keep him, he wants to start. It won't be here. That likely means Svedberg will be the back-up. he's their guy and will not cost them as much as a good veteran back-up.

Totally agree, wouldnt shock me if the Bruins signed a veteran netminder to a one year deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Totally agree, wouldnt shock me if the Bruins signed a veteran netminder to a one year deal.

Not a lot of solid vets in he UFA market this year for keepers. For a reasonable price, Jason Labarbrera may be the best option. Theordore, 'Bulin, Garon, Smith, Mason and Ellis are the other options.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

If some team wants to give up multiple 1st rounders for rask i say let him go.  

Great Googily Moogily!!  Nuts.  You don't let your only proven NHL starter walk when you have a perennial contender that depends heavily on an aging monster defenseman.  Khudobin still hasn't played enough NHL games to lose his rookie status (I don't think he qualifies as a rookie because of his age).  18 games from Khudobin and you're willing to let Rask walk for picks?  Madness!

Svedberg has been the best European prospect pickup the Bruins have had since the drafted Krejci, and the best Swede since Axelsson.  And it wouldn't be a stretch to say that a record like his AHL record would make him the best Swedish prospect th Bruins have developed in their history.  But he hasn't faced the NHL yet.  Subban may have been untouchable, but I don't want the Bruins' season to rest on him next year, either.  Sooooo, letting Rask walk is nuts.  Working with him to manage the one year, negotiated reduction in the cap?  Muuuuuch better.

You are spot on with this post. It seems to me that the way PC likes to build his teams is he never has enough goalies or centers. He would never trade Rask at this point .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiz33. Show chiz33's posts

According to Darren Dreger Soderberg is only counting for $600k this season  and 1 million per over the next two.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"And it wouldn't be a stretch to say that a record like his AHL record would make him the best Swedish prospect th Bruins have developed in their history.  But he hasn't faced the NHL yet."

This was said about Khudobin last season.

What's your point?  Are you saying you're sufficiently convinced by Svedberg's AHL record to ditch Tuukka and run with Svedberg and Khudobin?

You have no point becuase you haven't seen Svedberg play niether did you see Khudobin play before this year. When you've actually seen some AHL games of Bruins prospects let me know.

I praised Khudobin all last year after watching him play. And you ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to red75's comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Not a lot of solid vets in he UFA market this year for keepers. For a reasonable price, Jason Labarbrera may be the best option. Theordore, 'Bulin, Garon, Smith, Mason and Ellis are the other options.

I think kel missed part of my point...wouldn't svedberg be cheaper than any of those vets? Even if they get Tuukka on a 1-year cap friendly deal while they hammer out a long-term contract they may need to go cheap on the back-up goalie because of the lower cap and that is probably Svedberg I would think. If they feel he's not ready then maybe they "splurge" on Theodore or even find somebody else's back-up that they like for low money.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I think kel missed part of my point...wouldn't svedberg be cheaper than any of those vets? Even if they get Tuukka on a 1-year cap friendly deal while they hammer out a long-term contract they may need to go cheap on the back-up goalie because of the lower cap and that is probably Svedberg I would think. If they feel he's not ready then maybe they "splurge" on Theodore or even find somebody else's back-up that they like for low money.

Svedberg would cost 1M next year.  I'd be comfortable with him as Rask's backup.  I like Book's plan for Rask. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

.wouldn't svedberg be cheaper than any of those vets? Even if they get Tuukka on a 1-year cap friendly deal while they hammer out a long-term contract they may need to go cheap on the back-up goalie because of the lower cap and that is probably Svedberg I would think.

Svedberg would cost 1M next year.  I'd be comfortable with him as Rask's backup.  I like Book's plan for Rask.

Absolutely no reason for Svedberg to go back down to the AHL where he already dominated.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

" And it wouldn't be a stretch to say that a record like his AHL record would make him the best Swedish prospect th Bruins have developed in their history.  But he hasn't faced the NHL yet."

This was said about Khudobin last season.

What's your point?  Are you saying you're sufficiently convinced by Svedberg's AHL record to ditch Tuukka and run with Svedberg and Khudobin?

You have no point becuase you haven't seen Svedberg play niether did you see Khudobin play before this year. When you've actually seen some AHL games of Bruins prospects let me know.

I praised Khudobin all last year after watching him play. And you ?

Way to not answer my question!

How do you know how many games I've seen?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Does he have to prove something in the playoffs?  Sure. 

I disagree, Book, that he has anything to "prove" in the playoffs.  The guy is clearly a great goaltender.  I refuse to hang that Philly series on the goaltender.  If he were going to crumble under pressure, it would be apparent with reviews of the big games this season he's been in so far.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Ok make your case that Chiarelli should keep Svedberg in a league he just dominated and why he should bring someone like...Mike Smith or so some other vet ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Ok make your case that Chiarelli should keep Svedberg in a league he just dominated and why he should bring someone like...Mike Smith or so some other vet ?

I've seen Svedberg twice, looked real good. I've seen Hutchinson three times and there is a big difference between the two from the small sample I've seen. I think Svedberg is way ahead of him in terms of development, would you concur?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

How much are people expecting Khudobin to get if he becomes a UFA? If you can get Rask at 5 and Khudobin at 1.5 then that's a very good tandem. Peter Budaj just signed with MTL for 1.5 mil; that would almost double what Khudobin makes now. Do you think he'd sign with Boston for that amount?

If so, I'd try to maintain status quo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Me thinks Kelv if Chiarelli trusted Khudobin I see now reason he wouldn't trust Svedberg as his backup. Hutchinson actually had some stretches where he looked like he would get back to the last few months of last season, then just look terrible some nights.

What I like about Svedberg is he moves well for a big guy and doesn't rattle when he's given up some bad goals. I sat behing the net a copule of times to watch him, he tracks deflections really well. I think that is one of the hardest things for a goalie to do.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Kennedy97's comment:

How much are people expecting Khudobin to get if he becomes a UFA? If you can get Rask at 5 and Khudobin at 1.5 then that's a very good tandem. Peter Budaj just signed with MTL for 1.5 mil; that would almost double what Khudobin makes now. Do you think he'd sign with Boston for that amount?

Regardless of the money, Khudo wants to be a starter so will go where he can be the #1 goalie. He's only coming back here if he gets no offers and I think somebody will give him a decent contract and the promise of starting.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to Kennedy97's comment:

Regardless of the money, Khudo wants to be a starter so will go where he can be the #1 goalie. He's only coming back here if he gets no offers and I think somebody will give him a decent contract and the promise of starting.

Gotcha. I would bet you're right, then.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I agree WLH, Khudobin will get starter money from some team. Then it's either he turns aout to be Halak or a decent starter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Does he have to prove something in the playoffs?  Sure. 

I disagree, Book, that he has anything to "prove" in the playoffs.  The guy is clearly a great goaltender.  I refuse to hang that Philly series on the goaltender.  If he were going to crumble under pressure, it would be apparent with reviews of the big games this season he's been in so far.

Me as well NAS. I think the biggest difference the B's had in 2011 that they didn't in 2010 was the depth for when a key cog on the offence went down, they didn't have the goods in getting someone to step up. Having said this though, Rask still has something to prove in the play-offs. This is where we find out if the B's goaltending is where we have a Cheevers, Moog & Thomas, or do they have a Dafoe, Lacher type that can do the job in the regular season, but can't do it in the play-offs. The play-offs is the only place that Rask can decide which kind of goalie he truly is.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Why would I do that?  You're reading every post I make through our disagreement on whether prospects have to do more than play wll in the AHL to get a "real shot" in the NHL, and whether or not "deserve" has anything to do with it.  That was never the question here.  Shupe said "let Rask walk for picks".  I said "that's crazy.  Svedberg may be the best Swedish propect the Bruins have ever had, but he hasn't faced NHL competition yet."  How is that suggesting Svedberg shouldn't get a chance to play as a backup next year?  I have no issue with that.  I have an issue with making him the starter when I've seen him twice and he was okay - not exactly challenged.  Inspired waaaaay more confidence than Hutchinson, for sure. No, wait, three times - I saw the AHL all-star game this year, or, at least, most of the first and part of the second.  And he looked credible there too - but I still want to see him prove he can do what he's done in the A in the NHL before I trade a proven #1 goalie for picks.  Do you want to make the argument that the Bruins should make Svedberg the #1 goalie next year?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

NAS - every time I try to reply to your posts, I hit some glitch, so I'll trust people can follow the conection here.

Agreed.  I wasn't thinking of Rask having something to prove in terms of redeeming himself for 2010, but of course, there will be some who see it that way.  I meant only that he has played one season and two series of NHL playoff hockey, which means he's still a bit of a playoff noob.  This is the sense in which people talked about Thomas needing to "prove" something in 2011 after posting a 1-2 series record and then losing the starting role (due to injury in part) to Rask in 2010.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

NAS/Book,

Isn't being a great goalie defined on what you do in the playoffs.  I surely am not blaming him for 2010.  But if he lays an egg.  There are goalies who are great in reg season and stink in playoffs. 
    Again, I hope Rask gets signed on a deal thats good for the team and for him 5/5 is good for both. 
    My ony pt was that if someteam(say Calgary) offered him a contract that would net us 3  1st round picks I would let him walk in a minute.  Calgary is gonna stink and we likely have a top 5 pick for 3 yrs including our own. 
    Then go sign Mike Smith or someone similar.  There are 30 number one jobs around the league.  Vokoun played his hand and lost his shirt.  We have been lucky to have 2 outstanding goalies.  But this system also helps them out.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

NAS/Book,

Isn't being a great goalie defined on what you do in the playoffs.  I surely am not blaming him for 2010.  But if he lays an egg.  There are goalies who are great in reg season and stink in playoffs. 
    Again, I hope Rask gets signed on a deal thats good for the team and for him 5/5 is good for both. 
    My ony pt was that if someteam(say Calgary) offered him a contract that would net us 3  1st round picks I would let him walk in a minute.  Calgary is gonna stink and we likely have a top 5 pick for 3 yrs including our own. 
    Then go sign Mike Smith or someone similar.  There are 30 number one jobs around the league.  Vokoun played his hand and lost his shirt.  We have been lucky to have 2 outstanding goalies.  But this system also helps them out.  

Exactly what I said Shupe. It is a huge concern & if Rask would've been able to just do what he did against the Canes the other nite for just 1 game out of 4 in 2010 against Philly we wouldn't be having this discussion. That is what needs to be known & that is what needs to be rectified.

This is also why I wish PC would wait until after the play-offs before doing anything with Rask. Sign him to a 5yr deal for 25 mill & he turns into sieve in round 2. Then what? However, if you don't sign him & he plays amazing in these play-offs; then he's going to expect HUGE money. Which in turn puts the B's against the wall to fix a need during the season next yr. It's almost a catch 22 for both sides. I really hope they can agree for a 1yr 4 million deal. Then that way Rask has a chance to prove himself in a couple of play-offs, they can have some room to bring in some others to full a need.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

If some team wants to give up multiple 1st rounders for rask i say let him go.  

Great Googily Moogily!!  Nuts.  You don't let your only proven NHL starter walk when you have a perennial contender that depends heavily on an aging monster defenseman.  Khudobin still hasn't played enough NHL games to lose his rookie status (I don't think he qualifies as a rookie because of his age).  18 games from Khudobin and you're willing to let Rask walk for picks?  Madness!

Svedberg has been the best European prospect pickup the Bruins have had since the drafted Krejci, and the best Swede since Axelsson.  And it wouldn't be a stretch to say that a record like his AHL record would make him the best Swedish prospect th Bruins have developed in their history.  But he hasn't faced the NHL yet.  Subban may have been untouchable, but I don't want the Bruins' season to rest on him next year, either.  Sooooo, letting Rask walk is nuts.  Working with him to manage the one year, negotiated reduction in the cap?  Muuuuuch better.

I think they are playing a dangerous game with Rask. He patiently waited at the end of the bench while TT finished up. Then he signs a team-friendly 1 yr deal while lesser proven goalies like Schneider... on a team with already one obscenely paid goalie already- gets a long term deal. Now we are going to jerk him around some more? If I was him Id say OK, keep the contracts at 1 year until Im a UFA and Ill catch ya later.  Somebody will commit to him.

Rask showed some stones with this years contract, both from his persepective and looking out for the B's.  Didnt whine about the deal at all like some people would.  Look at how players in the NHL are dropping like flies with injuries every week... its time for TR to get some security.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

NAS/Book,

Oh come on. Thomas stunk the playoffs out before 2011, then he nearly stunk his way to the golf course the first couple games v Montreal in 2011 before catching fire ... but Rask is still getting the playoff garbage?  Kid had clearly run out of gas at that point in his first season as the starter and should have been replaced by game 6 vs Philly anyway.  There's a whole lotta goalies with a mixed bag in their playoff histories.

But his series win over favored Buffalo and the 3 wins v Philly are ignored while his tag is "great in the reg season but stink in the playoffs?" I give up.

Sections
Shortcuts