Tuukka contract coming ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Tuukka contract coming ?

Bruins looking to extend Tuukka Rask before playoffs? Would not surprise if they try to close that- thinking 5 yr/$5M AAV

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Tuukka contract coming ?

Hey chowda, good find.  It would be nice to have this out of the way before summer time.  Money and term seem about right.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I could see $6M a year as well, $1M would remain for a defenseman and a backup goalie to sign next for season. Throw in Savard's LTIR that gives the Bruins $5M, so either Kelly or Peverley will more than likely have to be bought out.

If Jacobs say NO to the buyout it will be a tight squeeze to get those last role players in.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

5 years, $25M would be a great deal for a star goaltender.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

2013/14 projected cap space 7 plus savards ltir of 4 brings 11 m. I see 5 going rasks way and i see a couple of elc being added to the team to replace the ufa's if they dont sign like a horton.

Not sure what they will do with khuds, i cant see them re signing him now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

OK. Is it possible that PC asks Rask to only take a 2yr 5mill per? The reason I'm asking is because the B's will be against the cap & will have no room to re-sign Horton (what if he has another great play-off). Also I can't remember, but did the UFA status change from 27 to 28 in this last CBA? If PC & Rask wait until a cap increase it could benefit both Rask & the Bruins for the longer term no?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I hadn't figured in Soderberg's contract for next year. Even if the Bruins jettisoned Campbell and Thornton still couldn't afford Horton with Savard's LTIR. KoKo, Spooner and possibly Camara just might be hurried along or at least given a real shot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

OK. Is it possible that PC asks Rask to only take a 2yr 5mill per? The reason I'm asking is because the B's will be against the cap & will have no room to re-sign Horton (what if he has another great play-off). Also I can't remember, but did the UFA status change from 27 to 28 in this last CBA? If PC & Rask wait until a cap increase it could benefit both Rask & the Bruins for the longer term no?

Horton is a shell of the player we received.  He can walk unless he wants to take a smaller contract.  He is not a 5million dollar player with his current game and his head concerns.  He can shop around.  There is room to sign a decent fwd to fill out top six.  Id be looking to teams in need of getting to the cap floor and deal peverly.  His production can be replaced by a cheaper option.  

Peverly and Horton out.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Does PC have some leverage over Tuukka because of the cap going down?  Tuukka is an RFA. Many teams are going to be struggling to get under the cap.  Are there teams that have the cap space, that need a goalie, and are willing to part with draft picks?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

nite, I was thinking something similar.  I wonder if Rask would take another 1 year deal at a team friendly number because....

Some might call this "cap circumvention", but I'd call it "cap management".  Teams can begin to negotiate an extension with a player only in the final year of the player's deal.  If Rask signs a one-year, $3.5 extension today, the Bruins can begin to negotiate a long term deal with him almost right away, but the first year's cap hit is locked in because the AAV on that contract is only $3.5 even if an extension comes in at $6M/8yrs.  And if Anaheim is looking at revenues and thinking they can commit $17M to two players, I think PC would be comfortable making that commitment.  The real pinch is that one year - and this strategy would get the Bruins through that.  For Rask, it means potentially a 9 year deal with two components signed less than six months apart for a total of nearly $52M.  I'd do it if I were the Grinch.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

Does PC have some leverage over Tuukka because of the cap going down?  Tuukka is an RFA. Many teams are going to be struggling to get under the cap.  Are there teams that have the cap space, that need a goalie, and are willing to part with draft picks?

Gotta take a look around and see who wants to give up 1st round picks.  I cant see many teams doing that.  Teams like calgary and florida are in rebuild mode.  I could see the leafs being dumb enough but burke is gone.  If some team wants to give up multiple 1st rounders for rask i say let him go.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I could see $6M a year as well, $1M would remain for a defenseman and a backup goalie to sign next for season. Throw in Savard's LTIR that gives the Bruins $5M, so either Kelly or Peverley will more than likely have to be bought out.

If Jacobs say NO to the buyout it will be a tight squeeze to get those last role players in.

Why buy them out??  We should trade one for the best offer - they both have fair, tradable contracts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to inflamedcolon's comment:

Why buy them out??  We should trade one for the best offer - they both have fair, tradable contracts.

Teams looking to get to the cap floor.  The return will be a mid round pick.  Peverly would be gone.  Im keeping kelly.  I still want dk, bergie, kelly campy up the middle.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

If no team wants peverly he and ST are buyouts.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

If some team wants to give up multiple 1st rounders for rask i say let him go.  

Great Googily Moogily!!  Nuts.  You don't let your only proven NHL starter walk when you have a perennial contender that depends heavily on an aging monster defenseman.  Khudobin still hasn't played enough NHL games to lose his rookie status (I don't think he qualifies as a rookie because of his age).  18 games from Khudobin and you're willing to let Rask walk for picks?  Madness!

Svedberg has been the best European prospect pickup the Bruins have had since the drafted Krejci, and the best Swede since Axelsson.  And it wouldn't be a stretch to say that a record like his AHL record would make him the best Swedish prospect th Bruins have developed in their history.  But he hasn't faced the NHL yet.  Subban may have been untouchable, but I don't want the Bruins' season to rest on him next year, either.  Sooooo, letting Rask walk is nuts.  Working with him to manage the one year, negotiated reduction in the cap?  Muuuuuch better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

ya i think they both have limited no trade clauses (peverley and kelly), and i think at least one of them will be on the way out during the off season. I think the FA market is pretty unpredictable. On the one hand the cap is going down. On the other hand, there isn't much available on the market. I could see Horton getting 5. I could also see him staying with the bruins on a 1-2 year 3 mill per contract. Kelly stays if they think spooner isn't ready. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No buyouts unless they're amnesty buyouts.  Peverley is having a bad year; I have a strange feeling he'll find his groove by the playoffs, and I know I would feel a lot better if the rookies with designs on a third line spot next year had to displace him in camp rather than have it come down to the least unprepared guy getting to look lost for 20 games.  That is, if they're ready, they should beat out Peverley unless he's playing the way he did for stretches last year when he was scoring regularly and contributing from the point on the PP.  And I'd rather keep that guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to inflamedcolon's comment:

http://www.capgeek.com/bruins

Take a look and then tell me why it shouldn't be considered. Peverley had a tradeable contract, key word "HAD". If Rich tanks the rest of the way and is on the pine at the end of the bench for the playoffs his contract is no longer tradeble. The same for Kelly if he can't pick his game up the rest of the way, in the playoffs.

The Bruins will be right back where they were in 2009 and 2010 snug against the cap hoping they can move someone to plug a hole due to injury. Odds being dictated from the past says you need $4M of cap room near the trade deadline each year for injuries or players like Peverley and Kelly tanking, forgetting what got them there FAT extensions.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"And it wouldn't be a stretch to say that a record like his AHL record would make him the best Swedish prospect th Bruins have developed in their history.  But he hasn't faced the NHL yet."

This was said about Khudobin last season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

If some team wants to give up multiple 1st rounders for rask i say let him go.  

Great Googily Moogily!!  Nuts.  You don't let your only proven NHL starter walk when you have a perennial contender that depends heavily on an aging monster defenseman.  Khudobin still hasn't played enough NHL games to lose his rookie status (I don't think he qualifies as a rookie because of his age).  18 games from Khudobin and you're willing to let Rask walk for picks?  Madness!

Svedberg has been the best European prospect pickup the Bruins have had since the drafted Krejci, and the best Swede since Axelsson.  And it wouldn't be a stretch to say that a record like his AHL record would make him the best Swedish prospect th Bruins have developed in their history.  But he hasn't faced the NHL yet.  Subban may have been untouchable, but I don't want the Bruins' season to rest on him next year, either.  Sooooo, letting Rask walk is nuts.  Working with him to manage the one year, negotiated reduction in the cap?  Muuuuuch better.

If some team wants to give up 2-3 1st round picks let him walk.  Lots of goaltenders out there.  Mike Smith for example.  Or trade for one.  Im saying this if some team offers more then we want to offer.  Rask is a darn good goalie.  But he needs to show me something in the playoffs.  I stated above 5 yrs 5 per is a good deal.   If hes looking for more let him walk, take the 3 picks and laugh as they are cashed in.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Kelly has a full NTC.  Peverley can submit a 15 team trade list before October, and has no protection after that (assuming I've understood Capgeek's wording correctly).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

shupe, are you likely to get a known #1 goaltender via trade for less than what Rask would cost?  Are you likely to get a proven #1 at all?  I would think the logic for someone giving up a Kessel of picks for Rask is that there isn't a comparable starting goaltender available.  And if the offering team feels they're only a goalie away from contending, and they're right, I don't want two 20th picks and a 50th for world-class goalie in his mid-20s. 

Does he have to prove something in the playoffs?  Sure.  Has Smith proven anything beyond one good run?  I wouldn't say so.  He's a journeyman who caught Lightning...just not or the Lightning after they gave up Brad Richards to get him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"And it wouldn't be a stretch to say that a record like his AHL record would make him the best Swedish prospect th Bruins have developed in their history.  But he hasn't faced the NHL yet."

This was said about Khudobin last season.

What's your point?  Are you saying you're sufficiently convinced by Svedberg's AHL record to ditch Tuukka and run with Svedberg and Khudobin?  I think that's insane, and reminds me of the days when, based on his AHL success, people thought John Grahame was the answer.  And even if you think Khudobin has proven that he's a starter - in the 11 games he's played this year - that doesn't mean it isn't a valid concern that Svedberg woudl also be able to transfer his game to the NHL.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

NAS and the other Providence watchers, how is Svedberg loking? If Khudo isn't re-signed, is Svedberg ready for the backup role?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

A couple of big playoff goals changes everything.

Sections
Shortcuts