Tuukka Rask??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Tuukka Rask??

What is the deal with Tuukka Rask? I thought he would play last night. He had a shutout period against Columbus in relief, came back and shutout Los Angeles in a very strong  performance and has been rewarded by being placed on the bench for what will be over a week. That is if he gets the start against Florida.

Maybe there is a reason(injury) for that but I at least thought he could have got 1 of the last 3 games. According to Ray Ferraro on TSN Thomas was not to happy getting pulled in Columbus so maybe CJ is trying to make it up to him.

Like Thomas, Rask has excellent numbers but never seems to get rewarded. This has been the case for quite sometime.

Maybe there is something behind the scenes like injury but if not I really feel for the kid. There is not much else he can do to deserve more playing time. The kid has paid his dues and maybe it is time for the Bruins to give him a chance somewhere else. I hope they keep him but I don't like the way the kid has been treated. The Bs have to decide what they are going to do because Rask must be confused and frustrated.

Thomas has played great but I think Rask should be getting some more starts because he has also played great. He must be counting the days to being an RFA. I certainly would not give the Bs any "hometown" discount on any new deal if I were him. I bet he will be looking for a starters job or starters money somewhere and hopefully the Bs will give him that chance if they decide they will continue going forward with Tim Thomas handling the bulk of the duties.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Re: Tuukka Rask??

Tuukka is still young, and there are lots of goalies that come out hot, and end up flopping because they were leaned on too much, too early (Lacher, Raycroft, etc.).
    I think Tuukka is more than content putting up solid numbers on a team that is a cup contender. Right now, it's Timmy's job to lose, and he hasn't lost it yet. Yes, Tuukka has played unbelievable for a starter, nevermind a back-up; but you can't take starts away from Timmy, because he's done nothing to lose starts. Something tells me that if they can stay hot for a little while longer, they'll be giving Tuukka a lot more starts down the stretch so that Thomas is fresh come playoff time.
    And if any team plans on outbidding the B's for Tuukka, the B's will probably get some really, really good draft picks. It doesn't seem you're very familiar with RFA rules; players are pretty much screwed as far as negotiating goes, because other teams will only offer him so much money to avoid giving up too many draft picks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I imagine when Tuukka does become a RFA and if he does get a better offer elsewhere, he will likely leave. Until then he has the best seat in the house and seems to be smiling alot after every B's victory.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

I feel sooooo bad for the 24 year old kid making millions of dollars to have a front-row seat at a hockey game and play every once in a while. I'm sure he understands that he will be the number one guy soon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I think the Bruins would match any offer up to 5 mill. i doubt anyone is going to offer that

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I would like to see Rask play some more too.  I think it keeps him sharp and engaged, and gives Thomas a rest in what could be another 100 game season for the Bruins.  I vote for more starts for Tuukka.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoSoxFanPeds. Show BoSoxFanPeds's posts

Tuukka just might get you the top or second pick if he chooses not to sign.  I believe he and Thomas should both be allstars..The Bruins haven't had a one two punch like they do now since Gilbert and Cheevers....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm with Ference finger - the Bruins have treated Rask fairly.  They've developed him slowly.  He still has at least 10 years to be a starter if he becomes one next year or the year after.  Just because he's capable of starting now doesn't mean they owe him squat.  What about what he owes them after they've brought him along, taken him to the Cup, etc.?  All they ask is a little patience (thanks Axel), and if he's smart, he'll give it to them and accept backing up the Vezina incumbent for another 18 months.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Whatever they're doing with Tuukka and Thomas, I say don't mess with it. Last year TT set an all-time record with a .938 SV %. Right now both TT and Rask are on pace to break that record. Why would you even consider messing with something that is working that unbelievably well? Seriously, two goalies on the same team on pace to break Thomas's record. Don't change a thing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask??:
    Tuukka is still young, and there are lots of goalies that come out hot, and end up flopping because they were leaned on too much, too early (Lacher, Raycroft, etc.). I think Tuukka is more than content putting up solid numbers on a team that is a cup contender. Right now, it's Timmy's job to lose, and he hasn't lost it yet. Yes, Tuukka has played unbelievable for a starter, nevermind a back-up; but you can't take starts away from Timmy, because he's done nothing to lose starts. Something tells me that if they can stay hot for a little while longer, they'll be giving Tuukka a lot more starts down the stretch so that Thomas is fresh come playoff time. And if any team plans on outbidding the B's for Tuukka, the B's will probably get some really, really good draft picks. It doesn't seem you're very familiar with RFA rules; players are pretty much screwed as far as negotiating goes, because other teams will only offer him so much money to avoid giving up too many draft picks.
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing

The old Lacher, Raycroft arguement is getting old. Rask was sensational a couple of years back & has put up very good numbers this season albeit in a limited role. But he is 24 yrs old and any player with a competitive nature wants to play. Rask will be no different. I am sure what happens with Rask in his career has no bearing on what happened to Raycroft or Lacher. He will never know what he can be if he never gets the chance. I am sure come contract negotiations he is not going to want to hear " well Tuukka have you ever heard of Blaine Lacher or Andrew Raycroft?"

Noone is suggesting Rask getting the number 1 job from Thomas. But I would suggest it is in the Bs best interest, Thomas' best interest & Rask's best interest for him to get a few more starts then he is currently getting & to reward Rask, just like Thomas, when it is warranted.

I am familiar with the RFA process & I realize the Bs hold the cards & other teams have to give up compensation for an RFA. However, it has been Chia's MO to treat players fairly & I certainly hope he continues that pattern with a guy who has paid his dues without publically complaining. It would be a slap in the face to Rask for Chia to play hardball with him as an RFA. In the event Chia feels they will continue with Thomas going into his '40s then be fair to Rask & deal him so he can get an opportunity to move on in his career as a starter. There are teams who would be willing to trade assets for a potential stud goalie who is in his mid 20s.

Personally, I would keep him with the Bs & give him a larger role going forward but that may not be in the cards for the Bruins. And if not let him go and get some assets for him.

I would not expect Rask to sign again for cheap to play backup for the next couple of seasons behind Thomas. I would not begrudge him if he asked to be dealt as an RFA. It would not be selfish at all after he paid his dues. The only thing that would be selfish is if the organization and fans expected him to continue in his role as 2nd fiddle behind Thomas when he has done everything asked. Regardless of how he may have "the best seat in the house making millions." I am sure he is just as competitive as anyone else who is in that situation and I don't blame him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Why would anyone consider trading an outstanding young goaltender? Maybe if both were age 24, but they are not as we all know. Tuuka is the future for Chiarelli; but winning games is the be all end all for Claude. Until Chiarelli either trades Thomas or tells Claude to play Tuuka more, Claude wiil move at his own pace, especially with young players. He usually errs in the opposite direction by sticking with veterans, sometimes too long [ Ryder]. Chiarelli has also been accused of paying too much [Ference, Lucic] only to be recognized as smart later on. As good as Tim Thomas is, his strength is his athleticism, which tends to erode with age. Chiarelli has proven to be patient.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

I would have started him against Montreal (even with Timmy coming off the shutout) and then given Timmy Florida on Friday regardless of what happens.  This way you would have limited the number of days off between starts for both.

If Tuukka goes Friday he is on over a weeks rest and by the next game Timmy will be on over a weeks rest.

Worst case would for either of these guys to go cold right now

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I would have started him against Montreal (even with Timmy coming off the shutout) and then given Timmy Florida on Friday regardless of what happens.  This way you would have limited the number of days off between starts for both. If Tuukka goes Friday he is on over a weeks rest and by the next game Timmy will be on over a weeks rest. Worst case would for either of these guys to go cold right now
    Posted by nix02061

In Claude I trust. There have been no signs of either one going cold and no reason to doubt CJ's handling of the goalies. Seriously, we're on a 19-2-1 run, TR has a .939 sv % and TT has a .943. .939 and .943!!! Someone above mentioned how they're the best tandem the B's have had since such and such. I'd argue, with those numbers there could be an argument that, if they keep it up, they're best goalie tandem over the course of a season EVER, for any team. Why are we talking about changing anything?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

I feel sooooo bad for the 24 year old kid making millions of dollars to have a front-row seat at a hockey game and play every once in a while. I'm sure he understands that he will be the number one guy soon.
    Posted by dalexander2424

In the real world this would make sense. But we are talking about the professional sports world where most everyone is a millionaire.

If Peter Chiarelli would take up this attitude it would certainly be a way to alianate professional athletes and he or anyone else dealing with pro athletes with this attitude won't be doing it for very long.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Either way, it's going to be a win-win for the Bruins.  If Tukka walks as a RFA we get lots of draft pics, if he asks to be traded, we get high value roster player(s) or draft picks.  If he decides to be patient and wait out the end of Thomas' career then even better -- we have world class goaltending for the next decade.

In a salary cap world you can't keep all of your talent so no point in crying over spilled milk.  Either we have great goaltending well into the future or somebody is going to give us some very valuable assets for the rights to Tukka.  Given the young and talented nature of our current squad, I'd imagine PC would be looking for picks/prospects over a roster player.  If it's a roster player, it would have to be a young skilled defenseman.  Personally, I wouldn't mind some more great picks.  It's kind of nice being one of the best teams in the league and still having top ten draft picks.

We have a great young team that doesn't depend on any one person for its success and for that reason we can sit back and enjoy the show.  The Bruins are going to be VERY good for the next 5 years at a minimum whether we have Rask or not

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I think the piece that often gets lost in this debate is how Rask feels about the situation.  Two years ago he played 45 regular season games, 100% of the playoff games and had a case for a Vezina bid (1.97 GAA & .931 SV%).  Last year, he played 29 games (0 playoffs) and is on pace for about 26 games this year.  He sits behind a 2-time Vezina winner and a Conn Smythe winner who shows no signs of slowing down. 

I think any professional athlete worth anything wants to play and have an impact.  I think that holds true for both TT & TR.  I am not so sure that Rask is perfectly fine with the situation that may impact his next contract and his future.  After all, he already has his name on the Cup, maybe he wants the chance for a big payday and to win some of the NHL hardware that Thomas has on his mantle?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I think the piece that often gets lost in this debate is how Rask feels about the situation.  Two years ago he played 45 regular season games, 100% of the playoff games and had a case for a Vezina bid (1.97 GAA & .931 SV%).  Last year, he played 29 games (0 playoffs) and is on pace for about 26 games this year.  He sits behind a 2-time Vezina winner and a Conn Smythe winner who shows no signs of slowing down.  I think any professional athlete worth anything wants to play and have an impact.  I think that holds true for both TT & TR.  I am not so sure that Rask is perfectly fine with the situation that may impact his next contract and his future.  After all, he already has his name on the Cup, maybe he wants the chance for a big payday and to win some of the NHL hardware that Thomas has on his mantle?
    Posted by Crowls2424

I doubt Rask has a problem with the Jennings Trophy that's already on his mantle, with another one likely on the way. As for him having an impact, he already is having one. Thanks in part to him, no team can take the Bruins lightly, regardless of who is in the pipes. I'm sure PC will sign him. Strikes me as much ado about nothing, and talking about changing the goaltending starts and handling when the pair of them are in the midst of one of the greatest seasons by a tandem in the history of the NHL smacks me as, well, lunacy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask?? : I doubt Rask has a problem with the Jennings Trophy that's already on his mantle, with another one likely on the way. As for him having an impact, he already is having one. Thanks in part to him, no team can take the Bruins lightly, regardless of who is in the pipes. I'm sure PC will sign him. Strikes me as much ado about nothing, and talking about changing the goaltending starts and handling when the pair of them are in the midst of one of the greatest seasons by a tandem in the history of the NHL smacks me as, well, lunacy.
    Posted by red75

The quest for the Jennings Trophy?  You think that is what he is after?  By the way, you sure he already has one?

I am not advocating breaking up this tandem, far from it.  I am trying to box fan exuberance with the player's potential expectation.  If I were Rask, I would want to play full-time, rather than hoping to make a 30% contribution to a Jennings Trophy.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Tuukka Rask??:
    What is the deal with Tuukka Rask? I thought he would play last night. He had a shutout period against Columbus in relief, came back and shutout Los Angeles in a very strong  performance and has been rewarded by being placed on the bench for what will be over a week. That is if he gets the start against Florida. Maybe there is a reason(injury) for that but I at least thought he could have got 1 of the last 3 games. According to Ray Ferraro on TSN Thomas was not to happy getting pulled in Columbus so maybe CJ is trying to make it up to him.   Like Thomas, Rask has excellent numbers but never seems to get rewarded. This has been the case for quite sometime. Maybe there is something behind the scenes like injury but if not I really feel for the kid. There is not much else he can do to deserve more playing time. The kid has paid his dues and maybe it is time for the Bruins to give him a chance somewhere else. I hope they keep him but I don't like the way the kid has been treated. The Bs have to decide what they are going to do because Rask must be confused and frustrated. Thomas has played great but I think Rask should be getting some more starts because he has also played great. He must be counting the days to being an RFA. I certainly would not give the Bs any "hometown" discount on any new deal if I were him. I bet he will be looking for a starters job or starters money somewhere and hopefully the Bs will give him that chance if they decide they will continue going forward with Tim Thomas handling the bulk of the duties.
    Posted by Newfiebullet

If there's a goalie who "LIKES" getting pulled I wouldn't want him on my team! However, once again Newfie you show your disdain for Thomas moreso than your like for Rask! The only reason you continue to play this sad "poor Rask" violin song is because you still don't like TT. That's all it's about with you. You don't like the fact that Thomas PROVED you wrong! If this was another goalie, as long as the team was winning. You wouldn't care. It's because it's Thomas that you continue with this! Rask isn't going anywhere. Rask is a professional hockey player who understands the situation. Paying your dues is waiting your turn. Just because it's NOT TUUKKA time at this time doesn't mean he's being treated unfairly. TT's #'s are even BETTER than last yrs! Yet, you want to coddle to a 24yr old who has ample time to play a full career.

CJ has said he plans on giving TT the rest he needs. I think he'll be doing that. I know Rask needs to play to get better, but you can't sit your world class goaltender who's putting up these numbers for the sake of "development".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask?? : The quest for the Jennings Trophy?  You think that is what he is after?  By the way, you sure he already has one? I am not advocating breaking up this tandem, far from it.  I am trying to box fan exuberance with the player's potential expectation.  If I were Rask, I would want to play full-time, rather than hoping to make a 30% contribution to a Jennings Trophy.  
    Posted by Crowls2424

Rask didn't win a Jennings. He won a Roger Crozier. TT & Fernandez won the 09' Jennings.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

Wonder what the back up goalies on the other teams are thinking?

Rask sits behind a 2-time Vezina winner and a Conn Smythe winner so it makes sense if the Bruins want Thomas playing the majority of games.

Right now there are 18 teams that have a starting goalie that has started 23 games (same as Thomas) or more.  Brodeur with 18 and Miller with 17 games were both injured for long periods or their numbers would be right up there as well.

Think the Bruins are handling it just right when you take a look at the rest of the league and how many games their starter is playing compared to Thomas.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask?? : The quest for the Jennings Trophy?  You think that is what he is after?  By the way, you sure he already has one? I am not advocating breaking up this tandem, far from it.  I am trying to box fan exuberance with the player's potential expectation.  If I were Rask, I would want to play full-time, rather than hoping to make a 30% contribution to a Jennings Trophy.  
    Posted by Crowls2424

No, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt (and you're right, it's not the Jennings he won, it was the Crozier) Rask is a third year player, has a cup ring, and knows that this team will give him plenty of chances for more. He also knows TT only has a year left in his contract. He'll play full-time and load up his cupboard with hardware and have a better chance at multiple cups than he would with other squads. He just needs patience, and I figure if he had a lack of patience, we would have heard about it by now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I think they are simply at a point where they are not playing a lot of games during the next 2 weeks. TT had a shutout in his previous game so he got the nod. Seems like an easy decison.
    I am sure they will start to lean heavier on Tuukka once they get into the meat of the post holiday schedule and those road games start piling up.
    Tuukka isn't going anywhere nor should he.
    This is a fantastic problem to have.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I like what Newfie and Crowls are saying, and I don't think it is as simple as telling Rask to sit and like it.

I like the phased transition and I also like Thomas getting a little rest during a 100 game season.

Give Rask a few more starts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I think the piece that often gets lost in this debate is how Rask feels about the situation.  Two years ago he played 45 regular season games, 100% of the playoff games and had a case for a Vezina bid (1.97 GAA & .931 SV%).  Last year, he played 29 games (0 playoffs) and is on pace for about 26 games this year.  He sits behind a 2-time Vezina winner and a Conn Smythe winner who shows no signs of slowing down.  I think any professional athlete worth anything wants to play and have an impact.  I think that holds true for both TT & TR.  I am not so sure that Rask is perfectly fine with the situation that may impact his next contract and his future.  After all, he already has his name on the Cup, maybe he wants the chance for a big payday and to win some of the NHL hardware that Thomas has on his mantle?
    Posted by Crowls2424

Crowls? That probably helped the kid's development, because he learned fairly quickly, that as fast as you climbed the totem pole, you can slide down just as quickly. You can't take anything for granted & think "this job is mine". I notice a big difference in his game this season compared to last. That he's keeping his timing much better with not a lot of playing tiime. Which if you look at games he played last yr was one of his biggest struggles. Dropping too early. This yr that isn't happening as much. He's more in control & allowing the puck to be released before going into the butterfly stance. He's not bringing himself to the game. He's letting the game come to him. Where Thomas is the opposite, but he's certainly toned that down a couple of notches. You can see that Thomas doesn't waste as much energy because he's toned down his erractical movement. A testament that the old dog can learn a new trick.

As for the 2nd part? Without knowing Rask personally that's a hard assessment to make. Sure he wants to succeed & be the best player possible to help his team win. Let's take a look at this a bit more. You have 2 of the all time greats in Roy & Brodeur, but two totally different personalities! Roy wanted the personal accolades as well as championships. Marty could care less about the personal stuff as long as the team does well. We haven't seen enough of Rask to know which type of attitude he has.

Sections
Shortcuts