Tuukka Rask??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: Tuukka Rask??

It's nice that everyone wants Rask to be patient and wait another year or two to get his chance.  Easy for us to say from behind our keyboards, Rask is competing every day in practice and playing very well when he gets his chance.  Maybe he is content with the situation, maybe he isn't. 

Rask is 24.

- Steve Mason & Varlamov are 23
    - Price & Pavelec are 24
    - Quick is 25
    - Crawford & Halak are 26

Any chance Rask is looking around the league, sees guys in his age group, and thinks his time is now?

TT's play is off the charts.  He deserves to play as much as he is.  My only point is that we should not all be so quick to assume that Rask is content with 25-28 games again this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask??:
    [QUOTE]It's nice that everyone wants Rask to be patient and wait another year or two to get his chance.  Easy for us to say from behind our keyboards, Rask is competing every day in practice and playing very well when he gets his chance.  Maybe he is content with the situation, maybe he isn't.  Rask is 24. - Steve Mason & Varlamov are 23 - Price & Pavelec are 24 - Quick is 25 - Crawford & Halak are 26 Any chance Rask is looking around the league, sees guys in his age group, and thinks his time is now? TT's play is off the charts.  He deserves to play as much as he is.  My only point is that we should not all be so quick to assume that Rask is content with 25-28 games again this year.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]
    Crowls, I agree the ideal situation includes a happily content Rask but, on the same note, PC still holds his fate in his hands. If Rask gets a great offer and signs it, then PC still has to decide to match or take the picks. Rask being happy is fine but the betterment of the organization is all that matters to me (and I've always been a big Rask supporter).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

I think the better this team gets the better starts Rask will get. TT is the clutch guy and he should be when he stands on his head game in game out. He is also the leader and player play for the leader. Rask is not stupid he knows that and will get more responsibility and is learning like a back up quarterback to Brady how to be that same kind of leader. Rask is not going anywhere. He is a patient smart kid and sees the writing on the wall and just as Bledsoe passed the torch to Brady the same will happen for Rask. The more wins and the more dominance the more playing time. I suspect he will be at the 35 to 40 game mark before all is said and done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]It's nice that everyone wants Rask to be patient and wait another year or two to get his chance.  Easy for us to say from behind our keyboards, Rask is competing every day in practice and playing very well when he gets his chance.  Maybe he is content with the situation, maybe he isn't.  Rask is 24. - Steve Mason & Varlamov are 23 - Price & Pavelec are 24 - Quick is 25 - Crawford & Halak are 26 Any chance Rask is looking around the league, sees guys in his age group, and thinks his time is now? TT's play is off the charts.  He deserves to play as much as he is.  My only point is that we should not all be so quick to assume that Rask is content with 25-28 games again this year.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]
    None of these other goalies have the best goalie on the planet in front of them. Rask is in a different situation than these others you mention. Of course Rask wants to play more. I'd question his compete level if he didn't want to. No goalie should be content playing backup unless your last name is Hedberg, Johnson, or Budaj. Rask is in a very unique situation & I'm sure it softens the blow a bit, knowing that you're playing on a cup winner, a contender & with the best at his position as his partner. He can take a look at somebody who was in his shoes in the past. Where he only would've got into 10-15 games a season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think Crowls is suggesting that Thomas isn't the best in the league or that he shouldn't be the clear cut #1 in Boston.  We probably all agree on that.  I think the point is that maybe Rask is happy waiting another two years and being a good soldier, but maybe he isn't.  Instead of saying "deal with it", it might best serve the Bruins to finesse Rask a little bit.  Maybe give him 5-8 more starts this year than last (provided he keeps playing well).  Maybe that is better for Thomas too.  We all know who is the starter come the postseason. 

I just think Rask has earned some consideration in the equation, and throwing him a few more games might benefit everyone.  If Thomas was strongly opposed to this I would reconsider, but for now I think preventing frustration and back-up burn out for Rask is important.

The fact that he has a ring and gets paid a lot are kind of irrelevant.  If you want the guy to be satisfied with a backup role in a championship and being rich at 24, I think you are asking him to forget about his drive and competitive edge.  Of course he wants more.

Anyhow, such a great problem to have it seems absurd to even argue about it...an embarassment of riches...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think Crowls is suggesting that Thomas isn't the best in the league or that he shouldn't be the clear cut #1 in Boston.  We probably all agree on that.  I think the point is that maybe Rask is happy waiting another two years and being a good soldier, but maybe he isn't.  Instead of saying "deal with it", it might best serve the Bruins to finesse Rask a little bit.  Maybe give him 5-8 more starts this year than last (provided he keeps playing well).  Maybe that is better for Thomas too.  We all know who is the starter come the postseason.  I just think Rask has earned some consideration in the equation, and throwing him a few more games might benefit everyone.  If Thomas was strongly opposed to this I would reconsider, but for now I think preventing frustration and back-up burn out for Rask is important. The fact that he has a ring and gets paid a lot are kind of irrelevant.  If you want the guy to be satisfied with a backup role in a championship and being rich at 24, I think you are asking him to forget about his drive and competitive edge.  Of course he wants more. Anyhow, such a great problem to have it seems absurd to even argue about it...an embarassment of riches...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

i wouldn't be surprised if he ended up with more starts if he keeps up his stellar play.  unlike other years, the b's are expecting to play in june.  tt had a long season when you factor in the 25 post-season games.  he'll definitely benefit from extra days off.

the b's have a stretch coming up in january where they play 12 games in 21 days.  that would be a good time to give rask 5 or 6 starts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think Crowls is suggesting that Thomas isn't the best in the league or that he shouldn't be the clear cut #1 in Boston.  We probably all agree on that.  I think the point is that maybe Rask is happy waiting another two years and being a good soldier, but maybe he isn't.  Instead of saying "deal with it", it might best serve the Bruins to finesse Rask a little bit.  Maybe give him 5-8 more starts this year than last (provided he keeps playing well).  Maybe that is better for Thomas too.  We all know who is the starter come the postseason.  I just think Rask has earned some consideration in the equation, and throwing him a few more games might benefit everyone.  If Thomas was strongly opposed to this I would reconsider, but for now I think preventing frustration and back-up burn out for Rask is important. The fact that he has a ring and gets paid a lot are kind of irrelevant.  If you want the guy to be satisfied with a backup role in a championship and being rich at 24, I think you are asking him to forget about his drive and competitive edge.  Of course he wants more. Anyhow, such a great problem to have it seems absurd to even argue about it...an embarassment of riches...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    No I wasn't taking that as Crowls saying that. I was just saying the difference scenario that Rask is in. I honestly think that Rask should get more starts, but it's hard to do if you're CJ. Is it not his job to make sure he does his due diligence to make sure he puts the best lineup on the ice? Not knocking Rask's play at all, but it's like if you have a....Rich Peverly & a Patrice Bergeron. If it came down to sitting one; who do you sit? I think 98% would go with Bergy the other 2% are over thinkers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask?? : i wouldn't be surprised if he ended up with more starts if he keeps up his stellar play.  unlike other years, the b's are expecting to play in june.  tt had a long season when you factor in the 25 post-season games.  he'll definitely benefit from extra days off. the b's have a stretch coming up in january where they play 12 games in 21 days.  that would be a good time to give rask 5 or 6 starts.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]
    If TT is still playing as well as he is. Rask will be lucky to play 4.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Wonder what the back up goalies on the other teams are thinking? Rask sits behind a 2-time Vezina winner and a Conn Smythe winner so it makes sense if the Bruins want Thomas playing the majority of games. Right now there are 18 teams that have a starting goalie that has started 23 games (same as Thomas) or more.  Brodeur with 18 and Miller with 17 games were both injured for long periods or their numbers would be right up there as well. Think the Bruins are handling it just right when you take a look at the rest of the league and how many games their starter is playing compared to Thomas.
    Posted by winexpos[/QUOTE]
    IMO With the exception of NYR or Predators. Rask would be the starter on any other team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask??:[QUOTE]Any chance Rask is looking around the league, sees guys in his age group, and thinks his time is now? TT's play is off the charts.  He deserves to play as much as he is.  My only point is that we should not all be so quick to assume that Rask is content with 25-28 games again this year. Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Yes and at some point Chiarelli has to make a decesion. I don't think Thomas will take a pay cut to stay as a backup either along with the fact Tim is not going to keep playing at this level when he's in his early 40s.

There is a reason PC made a move to keep Khudobin from going to the KHL and he has a one way contract next year. With Seguin, Lucic, Marchand, Thomas's and Rask's contracts all coming up soon something has to give.

It's what Thomas is willing accept is what will cause PC problems as I'm willing to bet he doesn't let Rask walk with an offer sheet. Searching for a starting goaltender is allot harder than taking 3 darft picks for not matching an offer sheet. Chairelli can't stop father time and you don't let goalies go like Tuukka go.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask?? : Yes and at some point Chiarelli has to make a decesion. I don't think Thomas will take a pay cut to stay as a backup either along with the fact Tim is not going to keep playing at this level when he's in his early 40s. There is a reason PC made a move to keep Khudobin from going to the KHL and he has a one way contract next year. With Seguin, Lucic, Marchand, Thomas's and Rask's contracts all coming up soon something has to give. It's what Thomas is willing accept is what will cause PC problems as I'm willing to bet he doesn't let Rask walk with an offer sheet. Searching for a starting goaltender is allot harder than taking 3 darft picks for not matching an offer sheet. Chairelli can't stop father time and you don't let goalies go like Tuukka go.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Not picking Sandog, but just putting it out there of other supposed Facts:
    1) Tim Thomas will never play a game in the NHL
    2) Tim Thomas will never get a multi year contract
    3) Tim Thomas will never be a #1 goalie
    4) Tim Thomas will never be invited to an All-Star game
    5) Tim Thomas will NEVER come close to winning a Vezina
    6) Tim Thomas will NEVER make the Oylmpic Team
    7) The Boston Bruins will NEVER win a Stanley Cup with Thomas as their goalie
    8) Tim Thomas WILL NEVER repeat what he did last year
    9) Tim Thomas will never be able to keep playing this way when he's in his early 40's?? Maybe not Sandog, but I'd put a bet on that he retires a Boston Bruin.  Rask, or Timmy aren't going anywhere.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask?? : If TT is still playing as well as he is. Rask will be lucky to play 4.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    They also finish the season with 22 games in 40 days.  If they have a cushion, I'd think they'll give Thomas some rest.  I don't think worrying about Rask's GP now is worth it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'll just repeat my earlier point that I don't give a K-rap what Tuukka wants.  I care about what works best for the Boston Bruins.

I think there are two conversations going on here: how many games should Rask play to keep both goalies at the top of their game going into the playoffs, and do the Bruins owe Tuukka more starts because he's played well and he wants to be a starter.

I think Rask needs to get about 30 games all told, but to get there he's probably going to have to play close to half of the remaining games to get there.  More important is the point DrCC makes - down the stretch, unless the Bruins are out of the playoff picture, Rask needs to get a chunk of starts.

But Tuukka has a contract, under a collectively bargained set of rules.  If he doesn't like those rules, Finland beckons.  On the other hand, if he's patient, he'll inherit the number one job on a team that has the youth and depth to be at the top of the standings fro a long time.  If he doesn't like waiting, too bad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fan08. Show fan08's posts

Folks:

Some decent points being made all around.

There was a point last year where I thought Thomas was being overplayed and I was really questioning Julien's rotation strategies. Things weren't helped by the fact that Thomas was playing lights-out and that Boston generally did not play very well at all when Rask was in net.

That said, it was a very pleasant surprise to see Rask get a decent number of starts down the stretch last year, including a significant number on a stretch through western Canada. I do think something similar will happen this year. Thomas has shown to wear down in certain circumstances. Looks like the brass is very well aware.

As for Rask getting an offer sheet... it wouldn't surprise me either way. Remember, though, goaltending is the hardest position to figure out when it comes to rising stars. Remember Roman Turek? Mike Dunham? Damien Rhodes? Decent goalies for a time, but never quite able to raise their games consistently enough. Now, I do believe Rask is something special, but I think Chia will do everything he can to keep him. Remember, Thomas has one year left on his deal after this season. Perfect time to begin the transition is next year...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask??:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask?? :  9) Tim Thomas will never be able to keep playing this way when he's in his early 40's?? Maybe not Sandog, but I'd put a bet on that he retires a Boston Bruin.  Rask, or Timmy aren't going anywhere. Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Thomas's salary for the 2012-13 seaon will be $3M heading into free agency that is underpaid for what he brings. If Chiarelli signs both Rask and Thomas that would mean important role players would have to go that's aside from Seguin, Lucic and Marchand being kept.

TT is not going to take peanuts to resign he knows what he's worth and PC has to look at it objectively so something has to give as their will be no discounts for goalies who know they are good and wanted. A 25 year old or a 38 year old it most certainly will not be both especially with the cap uncertainty after the new labor agreement.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'm a little tired of hearing people worry about a backup goalie's ego on a Stanley Cup champion team that has a starting goalie who is the Vezina Trophy, Conn Smythe Trophy winner. I hope Tuuka enjoys wherever he ends up. He never stood on his head the way Thomas has. He's a fine goalie in his own right, but he's also the guy most likely to give up a winning goal in a tie game late. I hope Tuuka stays a B, regardless of his playing time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask?? : Thomas's salary for the 2012-13 seaon will be $3M heading into free agency that is underpaid for what he brings. If Chiarelli signs both Rask and Thomas that would mean important role players would have to go that's aside from Seguin, Lucic and Marchand being kept. TT is not going to take peanuts to resign he knows what he's worth and PC has to look at it objectively so something has to give as their will be no discounts for goalies who know they are good and wanted. A 25 year old or a 38 year old it most certainly will not be both especially with the cap uncertainty after the new labor agreement.
    Great Post Sandog & you could be right, but I think TT is in a situation where his family is settled in Boston. They went with him on his World Journey's. TT isn't the type to bail on the ONLY team that gave him a shot. Now PC asked if TT would accept a trade. However, I don't think TT took it as an insult, but motivation. Rask will have a hard time expecting much more than 3 mill. Unless he turns the tide on TT. Which if he does that, he'll be worth 5! They're spending 6m between the 2 now. I don't think it'll be that big of a deal if they both got paid 3 mill for another 3 yrs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Mason, Dipietro.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask?? : The old Lacher, Raycroft arguement is getting old. Rask was sensational a couple of years back & has put up very good numbers this season albeit in a limited role. But he is 24 yrs old and any player with a competitive nature wants to play. Rask will be no different. I am sure what happens with Rask in his career has no bearing on what happened to Raycroft or Lacher. He will never know what he can be if he never gets the chance. I am sure come contract negotiations he is not going to want to hear " well Tuukka have you ever heard of Blaine Lacher or Andrew Raycroft?" Noone is suggesting Rask getting the number 1 job from Thomas. But I would suggest it is in the Bs best interest, Thomas' best interest & Rask's best interest for him to get a few more starts then he is currently getting & to reward Rask, just like Thomas, when it is warranted. I am familiar with the RFA process & I realize the Bs hold the cards & other teams have to give up compensation for an RFA. However, it has been Chia's MO to treat players fairly & I certainly hope he continues that pattern with a guy who has paid his dues without publically complaining. It would be a slap in the face to Rask for Chia to play hardball with him as an RFA. In the event Chia feels they will continue with Thomas going into his '40s then be fair to Rask & deal him so he can get an opportunity to move on in his career as a starter. There are teams who would be willing to trade assets for a potential stud goalie who is in his mid 20s. Personally, I would keep him with the Bs & give him a larger role going forward but that may not be in the cards for the Bruins. And if not let him go and get some assets for him. I would not expect Rask to sign again for cheap to play backup for the next couple of seasons behind Thomas. I would not begrudge him if he asked to be dealt as an RFA. It would not be selfish at all after he paid his dues. The only thing that would be selfish is if the organization and fans expected him to continue in his role as 2nd fiddle behind Thomas when he has done everything asked. Regardless of how he may have "the best seat in the house making millions." I am sure he is just as competitive as anyone else who is in that situation and I don't blame him.
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]I'll just repeat my earlier point that I don't give a K-rap what Tuukka wants.  I care about what works best for the Boston Bruins. I think there are two conversations going on here: how many games should Rask play to keep both goalies at the top of their game going into the playoffs, and do the Bruins owe Tuukka more starts because he's played well and he wants to be a starter. I think Rask needs to get about 30 games all told, but to get there he's probably going to have to play close to half of the remaining games to get there.  More important is the point DrCC makes - down the stretch, unless the Bruins are out of the playoff picture, Rask needs to get a chunk of starts. But Tuukka has a contract, under a collectively bargained set of rules.  If he doesn't like those rules, Finland beckons.  On the other hand, if he's patient, he'll inherit the number one job on a team that has the youth and depth to be at the top of the standings fro a long time.  If he doesn't like waiting, too bad.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

How Harry Sinden of you...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask??:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask?? : Rask will have a hard time expecting much more than 3 mill. Unless he turns the tide on TT. Which if he does that, he'll be worth 5! They're spending 6m between the 2 now. I don't think it'll be that big of a deal if they both got paid 3 mill for another 3 yrs.Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

I agree on Rask money but I just can't see TT taking less than $6M when he knows lesser goaltenders are getting more. This summer or the spring of 2013 PC will have a very tough decision to make I wouldn't want to have to make it.

Have you been laughing at Scotty Laughlin as I have during the afternoons ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

The people who are saying "I don't care about Rask's ego; I care about the Boston Bruins".....well, Tuukka is clearly the future for the Bruins in goal. Thomas will (I know, an other doubting of Thomas) NOT play at a high level for more than 4 more years, and likely less. Therefore, Tuukka's attitude IS important to the Bruins franchise.
    I think that road trip will be a big time for Tuukka to get some starts to see what he's got and to let Thomas rest up a little bit. When they went on that 6-game road winning streak last year, Tuukka ate up four of those games.
    I think if they can form a decent cushion in the east, and Tuukka keeps playing the way that he has been playing, we'll likely be seeing something between a 60/40 and 50/50 split.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tuukka Rask?? : I agree on Rask money but I just can't see TT taking less than $6M when he knows lesser goaltenders are getting more. This summer or the spring of 2013 PC will have a very tough decision to make I wouldn't want to have to make it. Have you been laughing at Scotty Laughlin as I have during the afternoons ?
    Unfortunately I haven't been listening as much because I work away now & I don't have my satellite with me. However, Scotty always makes me laugh & it's even better when he & Boomer get into a spat! Doesn't Boomer just know the exact button to push to get Scotty worked up?
    I said to him a couple months back after he made a smart alec comment to me that I was getting Boomer after him. Scotty says. "Oh guess I'll slit my wrist now then & end it quick!"

But the whole gang of....well most of the older gang I met. Some of them have gone on. Big Country's antics I miss big time! What a great group of guys though. Boomer, is so freakin dry & condescending I sometimes think he's NAS, but Booms is an Islander fan. But a god guy.
    I was hoping to make it down to the station again this past summer, but I ended up changing jobs & flts are expensive when you have to pay full price.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Okay, not really on topic.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogmonsta. Show dogmonsta's posts

Chappy28 has it right...we are in a win win...say we trade him for a first rounder and it turns into a top 5...just go pick up the top rated goalie and groom him for 3 years...Thomas will be in the mix for another 2 years...and he will be elite for those years barring injury...if we get comp. we want a top 6 forward or top 2 dman case closed...

Sections
Shortcuts