Tuukka trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Tuukka trade

I've been on the side of saying don't deal Rask, he's the future, but if Timmy has another 2-4 years left in him doesn't that give us enough time to develop or find a good young goalie?  Plan B could be signing a free agent at that point too.

Few things to consider... Right now it's a great luxury having tt and tukkaa, but unfortunately both can't play.  This isn't an issue when paying your two goalies a combined 5.5M, but what about next year when Tuukka wants at the very least 3.5M maybe 4, now we are talking alot of cap space for somebody to be a backup goalie. 

The other question, is Tuukka a top #1 goalie?  I know the save % etc says so, but the 2010 playoffs leave a bad taste in the mouth when we needed him to win just one game.  TT won a whole bunch of games on his own in 2011 run, does Tuukka have that in him?  Particularly when he lets in soft goals?

Don't we need to make the Brady/Cassell decision?  Having both is great but in a hard cap league, those luxuries are too expensive.

Just a thought, wanted to see what everyone thinks at this point.  Are we better served using his cap space (or TT's for that matter) to get forwards or dmen who won't sit on the bench come April, or is it better to have a good & expensive backup goalie for insurance?  I think I'm leaning to turning one of these goalies into help upfront...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Tuukka trade

If Tuuka won tonight would you want to trade him? They need some NHL players on their roster right now.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

I hope they can keep both.  I think $3.5-$3.75M a year is fair for Rask, and the Bruins should try to sign him for that.  If he wants more and the Bruins are forced to choose between Rask or Thomas, I think trading Rask is a no brainer.  He'll bring back a far greater return.

Again, I don't think they should actively trade him, but if it is one or the other, this team is in win now mode and if you can get another impact player for him, it might be worth it.  There are a lot of young, high upside goalies in the league, not all pan out.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

In response to "Re: Tuukka trade":
    If Tuuka won tonight would you want to trade him? They need some NHL players on their roster right now. Posted by kelvana33
    Kel, it has nothing to do with his performance, tt hasn't been great either, it's the team. That's my point, we need better NHL talent outside of the crease, our best shot at that is trading whichever goalie will be on the pine come April. Yes if the one you don't trade gets hurt, we r in trouble, but an early playoff exit with two great healthy goalies isnt a great risk to take either. I agree with both of your points, but I don't mean for this to be a rant about a goalies play, it's more because they are our only real NHL ready chips to deal without subtracting where we need to add already.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

In response to "Re: Tuukka trade":
    er.  He'll bring back a far greater return. Again, I don't think they should actively trade him, but if it is one or the other, this team is in win now mode and if you can get another impact player for him, it might be worth it.  There are a lot of young, high upside goalies in the league, not all pan out. Posted by BSXIII
    Exactly, win now mode doesn't include 4$m backup goalies or waiting 4 years for a goalie of the future. I'm w Stanley, turn tuukka into a sniper for our pp and hortons replacement

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't want to, but if trading him means he's in a package for Nash, then I do it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

I agree, it's not ideal to trade tuukka, but if he and some picks turns into Nash Ryan or parise types we have to do it. We still have tt, and those guys added would make us even better than the cup roster!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

In Response to Re: Tuukka trade:
    I don't want to, but if trading him means he's in a package for Nash, then I do it.
    Posted by kelvana33

I've seen Rask mentioned in Nash trade talks a lot lately.  Would this be at all feasible?  Isn't Steve Mason just as good of a prospect as Rask (and a year younger)?  If he fell out of favor there that quickly, wouldn't they be more skeptical of someone like Rask, who has shown flashes but has also been inconsistent.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

Reading all the posts here; I think that it all comes down to one question....

Would you rather a chance at a SC this season at the expense of the next 5-7 years?  

Reasoning:  If you feel that the key to winning a SC is good goal tending then you have to ask a few questions:

1.  How long can you ride TT's magic?  What if TT is not as good as last year?  So far this is the case.  Is this an abnomily? or has TT had his 5 min of fame?  Can he be a lifetime threat, or is he just a good goalie who peaked at just the right time.  
    2. Is Tuka the future?  Good goalies are a premium; look around the league, premium teams have premium goalies.  Giving him up means that you have to find another backup and within in a year or 2, a starting goalie...you need to hope that he is good enough to carry you through the playoffs, because every team has its downs...(remember that TT carried this team on a lot of games).
    3.      Is a short term scoring chance better than long term defense?  TT has another 1-2 years.  Trade Rask now for scoring, then you give up a potential elete goalie for a short term scoring threat....you  him up means that you would rather have a short term chance than a chance at future success....already, TT is not playing near the level he was last year; what if it doesnt work out and you don't make it to the SCF?  Was it worth it?
    4. Woud you rather win a cup this year if it means that you can't win one in the next 2-7 years...remember what I said about goaltending being the key to a SC......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

bump

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

Tuukka has been given plenty of chances this season to make a statement.  He gives up soft goals and never steals a game.  I personally think he's not the next whoever, and would dump him while his stock is high. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LegendofBoston. Show LegendofBoston's posts

Krejci, Rask, and a 2nd rounder for A stud named Ryan Suter, enough said. Not only does he give us tremendous depth on the blue line, but pairing him up with Chara would give us the BEST blue line in the game and solidify it for years to come. If you can't sign him longterm don't make the deal. Rask's trade value is probably the highest it will ever get right now, and thats even with a bad losing stretch of late. Krejci is expendable, and a 2nd rounder isnt too high of an asking price. Then go and get someone like Ruutu or Parise for the stretch run towards a repeat championship.  I say no way on either Nash or Bobby Ryan as both would cost too much, but for Suter I could live parting with a (POSSIBLE) #1 future goalie.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Krejci, Rask, and a 2nd rounder for A stud named Ryan Suter, enough said. Not only does he give us tremendous depth on the blue line, but pairing him up with Chara would give us the BEST blue line in the game and solidify it for years to come. If you can't sign him longterm don't make the deal. Rask's trade value is probably the highest it will ever get right now, and thats even with a bad losing stretch of late. Krejci is expendable, and a 2nd rounder isnt too high of an asking price. Then go and get someone like Ruutu or Parise for the stretch run towards a repeat championship.  I say no way on either Nash or Bobby Ryan as both would cost too much, but for Suter I could live parting with a (POSSIBLE) #1 future goalie.
    Posted by LegendofBoston

WAY too much for Suter. But for Weber.......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In Response to Re: Tuukka trade : WAY too much for Suter. But for Weber.......
    Posted by Bisson1

Scratch that.... Preds have Rinne signed for ever.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

First: 3/8/2011
    Last: 2/17/2012
    coach say if schedual was upside down.my bad stats would not look so bad.he say i should beet non playoff qualifiing teems.but my game is week.couldnt blame teem fore making trade
    The fact they spent over 3 million per year for the next 3 years on Johnny B tells me there is no Rask deal coming.  Johhny B is a GOOD player but why would his contract come before Tukka?  A couple days ago I wondered if Tukka was hurt but since he played last night I guess the answer is NO - they just can't come to a agreement.  Nash will kill the cap. They need to look elsewhere and maybe its a 3 way deal with Vancouver.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

"Then go and get someone like Ruutu or Parise for the stretch run towards a repeat championship." 

That's a riot!  You make it sound like Pairse is a 4th line player and expendable.  If NJ gives him up your looking at a 1st round pick (minimum) and impact player  combined (Krejci, Lucuc, Seguin).  Its too steep - Pairise will never wear a spoked B.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

What will tuuka fall do with his life if Rask is traded?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Dgb, you make it sound like task is ansure fire Thomas type replacement as an all star goalie, not so sure that's the case. One thing i do know, we still have at least this yr and next w tt at a high level, and another piece like Nash parise or suter would make us a force for 3 hrs at least. If we could do this without dumping dougie, we might not need a goalie to stand on his head if we are rolling out z dougie and seids with seguin Nash lucid bergy Horton Marchand and maybe krejci still. Cbj prefers a top goalie prospect as the main piece of the deal, so mason and his development won't be scaring them away from anything. I think the sentiment that trading tuukka will ruin our future is way overplayed. Trading sequin would sacrifice the future.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

the way Tuukka's played lately the B's wouldn't get back a used zamboni....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

As IPOT clearly pointed out, the DEFENSE, including Chara has been lousy. Last night Tuuka made a number of good saves, and he does not leave front of the crease rebounds like Timmy is doing lately. Three of the goals were because the bruins defenders backed off. On Wheeler's goal Chara backed away, poked at the puck, Wheels set up, had plenty of time and picked a corner like any nreasonable scorer can do. On the third period goals, Lucic looked at the scorer, looked away, and lost the coverage. This is poor playing. In addition, once again, the refs called Kelly, and let Wheeler, who started the scrum, go free. Chiarelli should be blasting the ref-in-chief by now. As far as a trade, let's not be stupid. Timmy is showing the effects of his acrobatic style. He an be good, as in the last shootout, but, we were in a shootout because he played a so-so game. Premier athletes age quickly once they start, and Timmy is starting. Rask is the fail safe who plays much better when he is given more games, and his skills become sharper.

Sections
Shortcuts