TV Shows for Kelvana

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

TV Shows for Kelvana

Unlike what seems like almost every other person on this site, I refuse to bump Null threads.

Kel, you listed many good shows.  You and I have been on the same page for years.  Believe me when I tell you this:  The Wire is the greatest TV show ever.  Others are really good also.  You can watch some of them on Netflix to save some money.

Go on eBay and get The Wire.  If you don't think it is an absolutely amazing show from beginning to end, I will take you to a game next season.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Re: TV Shows for Kelvana

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Unlike what seems like almost every other person on this site, I refuse to bump Null threads.

Kel, you listed many good shows.  You and I have been on the same page for years.  Believe me when I tell you this:  The Wire is the greatest TV show ever.  Others are really good also.  You can watch some of them on Netflix to save some money.

Go on eBay and get The Wire.  If you don't think it is an absolutely amazing show from beginning to end, I will take you to a game next season.

The Wire is brilliant.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It sure is, Jalvis.  And the actors pop up EVERYWHERE now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

I LOVED the Wire, but I still think Rome is the best series I have ever seen. Also, Deadwood kicks azz. You cant go wrong with HBO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Okay, warning that this is definitely not for the faint of heart, but if you liked Deadwood and you're not Larry King?  This is hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpjoEK_nlSk

Are you not entertained?!?!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Can't remember what else has already been put on the table, so I'll avoid the obvious, but if you like The Wire, Homicide, Life on the Street was excellent for the first two years, and still pretty okay after that.  First show I remember to really use music for part of the dramatic scene.

For comedies lately, Louis is hilarious if you're at all a fan of Louis C.K.'s standup, and I'm about half way through the first season of Wilfred, which has had it's moments.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Dexter:  Dexter is pretty great.  It's a step below the HBO shows like The Wire, Oz, Game of Thrones etc, but still a truly enjoyable series.

The Wire:  #1

Breaking Bad:  A lot of people love this show to death.  The problem I have with it is the protagonist is generally in some pretty sticky situations, but considering he's the only protagonist, there isn't any suspense as to whether he'll get out of that jam.  I lasted about 10 episodes (I really wanted to love it!) and gave up.

Mad Men:  This was enjoyable for a while, but the constant period remiders pushed me away.  Many people love it, but it just didn't hold my interest.  That red head has some bombs, however.  Damn.

If you're looking around on Netflix, there are plenty of "good" shows available that you may have missed when they were on network tv.  "Life" with Damien Lewis is a lot of fun.  "Burn Notice" is surprisingly enjoyable.  "Firefly" is tremendous.  Speaking of spaceships, the new "Battlestar Gallactica" is awesome, even if they did make Starbuck a chick.  "Prison Break" is decent almost all the way through.  "Copper" is great.  "Hatfields and McCoys" is amazing.  Don't miss "Hell on Wheels" or the first three or four seasons of "The Shield".

"Homeland" is serious business, and "Sons of Anarchy" is extremely well done (if you can get past that one season in Ireland).

If this list doesn't keep you busy until the puck drops in October, you watch too much TV.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

The Wire is excellent. Can never go wrong w/ Seinfeld or Sanford & Son. For a newer show I like Southland, it's a little over the top but it's pretty good w/ with lots of different characters and story lines.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Funny that no one ever mentions the Sopranos in these discussions any more.  Is it because people assume everyone has now seen it, or is it being forgotten, or, with more shows with that level of writing and "grit" available now, has it lost any lustre it once had?

I still find it a bit of a touchstone.  Some fantastic lines/scenes/episodes that are burned into my head.  The one with Christopher and Pauly trying to kill the Russian guys in the woods would have been a great indy black comedy all by itself.  The first (and only really effective) of Tony's dream sequences with the talking fish?  Perfect.

Another show like this?  The Larry Sanders Show.  I'll still work a salty dog into conversation in the right company.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Okay, warning that this is definitely not for the faint of heart, but if you liked Deadwood and you're not Larry King?  This is hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpjoEK_nlSk

That was freakin hillarious.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Looks like I have more in common with you all then hockey.  Good stuff.

I've been making my way through old Larry Sanders shows recently and appreciating the genious of it, again.

Breaking Bad is great.  NAS you've probably watched the 10 weaskest episodes as I also almost gave up in the first season.  Yes, you can assume that Walter White will continue to survive (same as Dexter), but the plotlines get better and better, peaking in the 3rd or 4th season.  The character development is similar to Sopranos, I think, because they are complicated.  There are not really good guys and bad guys -- everyone is flawed, everyone is redeeming at times.

If you have Netflix, a new season of Arrested Development is out.  Been disappointing so far after how great seasons 2 and 3 were.

All of these dramas are grown out of the Sopranos on some level.  And put me in the minority that thought the ending of the Sopranos was pure genious.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I don't like Mad Men.  But I love Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, and Homeland is my favorite show on tv today.

#BOSTONSTRONG

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

bump

Don't judge me monkey!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Homeland season two really needs to find its way to me somehow. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

The Shield is all but forgotten, but that was a great show too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm going with the Wire. I have yet to hear someone say something bad about it.

A NAS Guarantee.

I'm sold.

Thanks for all the replies. I knew I asked the right crowd.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I'm pretty sure if Kel was gonna have an autobiography it would be called DeadWood.

Ba-zzzziiing!

I'll be here all week, folks. Try the veal.

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Wow, I honestly have never seen a minute of any of these shows.  Not a big TV fan, maybe someday.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Wow, I honestly have never seen a minute of any of these shows.  Not a big TV fan, maybe someday.

Hang, I don't even have regular (cable/dish) tv anymore and never watch regular tv shows.  I have one tv, a playstation, and a Netflix subscription.  I can stream 80% of what has been mentioned above for $8 a month, as long as you don't mind being a year behind what is 'current'.  You can get the NHL package and I can get stuff for my kids too.  If you want something else you can pay per view with Amazon or Hulu.  You also need wifi.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In response to mikzor's comment:

The Shield is all but forgotten, but that was a great show too.

YES!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I havent watched the wire but everyone i talk to who has said its amazing.  Im hooked of SOA at the moment.  The wire is next.   

Anyone here have the jailbroken apple tv 2.  If no i suggest you all get one.  best creation ever for tv series and movies.  Streams off internet for free.  Simply amazing.  New spiderman movie for example is already on.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

No love for Eastbound & Down? Very rarely do I laugh out loud while watching TV. Very common while watching this.

Sopranos was terrific, wife and I used to revolve our Sunday nights around it. Adrianna was a smokeshow, I know Silvio killed her, but I'd dig her up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Ricky Gervais's Extras was hilarious, too.  Think I posted the Bowie clip from season two a while back.  This still makes me laugh years later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv6mEv_rDdE

Sections
Shortcuts