Twice in the last 5 minutes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Twice in the last 5 minutes

Thornton's shifts in last night's game protecting a lead in a 3-2 win. 

Can someone please come up with some cold hard statistical facts that dictate he shouldn't be out there in that situation ?

Ever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

Re: Twice in the last 5 minutes

In Response to Twice in the last 5 minutes:
    Thornton's shifts in last night's game protecting a lead in a 3-2 win.    Can someone please come up with some cold hard statistical facts that dictate he shouldn't be out there in that situation. Ever.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

I'm sure someone who's name begins with N, and ends with S will find it for you Innocent

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I noticed that, was thinking isnt this nice. CJ must wanna punish the team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Did they win? Then it was a good decision.

Have you looked at the standings lately?

I don't mean to cut you down, but CJ has many things to keep in mind, not the least of which is 2 games in 2 nights, in a very long grueling season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Twice in the last 5 minutes:
    Did they win? Then it was a good decision. Have you looked at the standings lately? I don't mean to cut you down, but CJ has many things to keep in mind, not the least of which is 2 games in 2 nights, in a very long grueling season.
    Posted by perrysound

Try reading again ! This time s.....l...o....w....l.....y.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In Response to Re: Twice in the last 5 minutes : Try reading again ! This time s.....l...o....w....l.....y.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Sorry, I thought I saw the sarcasm dripping off that one.

So use to the 4th liners being trashed, that I guessed it was NAS in disguise.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

In Response to Twice in the last 5 minutes:
    Thornton's shifts in last night's game protecting a lead in a 3-2 win.    Can someone please come up with some cold hard statistical facts that dictate he shouldn't be out there in that situation. Ever.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Had to watch the game via the Carolina feed last night...the play by play and colour guys had praise for our 4th line..especially Campbell. Thornton is very responsible defensively, so are Stewart and Wheeler. It never hurts having quality depth like that on your team. I know there are people on here that don't like our 4th line out there in critical moments, but CJ trusts them...who am I to argue...they are getting it done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

For sure I said , OH NO  !  It worked out, I have no problem with Wheeler and Campbell but a little hesitant on Thorton. Sure he forechecks well , works hard and all but he's not the best skater and the way the Canes were moving the puck it did make me antsy.
    It might have worked last night but it's bound to fail on another night.
    Chowdah, I can't come up with stats and not even sure there are but one thing for certain, Thorton is not your elite defender you want out there protecting a lead. 

For the record if you've seen my posts about the 4th line you know that I have my positives as of why Julien plays the 4th line as much as he does. Yesterday was a good example of how the Bruins were being dominated till the 4th line pinned the Canes in their own end. While they did not socre the momentum of the game changed a little and the Canes took a penalty. 
    This is why the 4th line plays the minutes they do although Thorton with less than 3mins to go on a game like last night defending .... not too certain it'll work in another crucial game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Now with Wheels on the fourth line i don't mind our team lines. CJ will need to keep these lines together it is working right now.

marchand bergy rechhi ( this line seems to be connecting very well speed smarts and experience)
    ryder savy ( horton once he breaks the barrier and scores he will get his confidence back scoring wise but is playing better)
    looch( looch will be a good enforcer for seguin) krejci seguin
    wheels( has d knowledge and scorong threats) camp thorn
    paille back up not bad

Chara kamp
    sieds boychuk
    stuart mcquaid
    ferrence

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

For sure I said , OH NO  !  It worked out, I have no problem with Wheeler and Campbell but a little hesitant on Thorton. Posted by BsLegion

Yah I would rather see Marchand or Bergeron double shifted on the wing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

4TH LINE WAS OUT THERE TWICE BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT GOING TO HURT THE TEAM THEY WORK HARD AND DONT MAKE MISTAKES AND ALSO CREATE PP INCLUDING THE ONE THAT LED TO THE GW GOAL... CAN KEEP PLAYING TOP 3 LINES WHEN THEY ARE OUT OF GAS

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I see no problem with playing one of the team's best defensive centers and the freshest, most energetic line in they dying minutes with a 3-2 lead.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i love the look of the 4th line with wheels... they played a very good game, all three of them. looks like marchand is a designated game starter- when he was on the 4th, and now with patrice and recchi. energy energy energy- love this kid

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

I SECOND THAT WE CANT PLAY THE OTHER 3 LINES ALL NIGHT, THE 4TH LINE LEADING BY 1 GOAL IS FINE, BEHIND A GOAL IS A DIFFERENT STORY, PLUS LOOK WHAT HAPPENDED 8 MIN TO GO THE 4TH LINE DRAWS THE PENTALY THAT LEADS TO THE GW GOAL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

The 4th line is a VERY capable line.  I dont worry too much when they are out there, especially with a lead.  They check VERY well.  Now, if it were a PP with 2 minutes to go down a goal, I would complain.  Theyve proven over and over again they can handle themselves.  Thornton is a MUCH better player than he is given credit for.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuckNakie. Show BuckNakie's posts

Also wasn't it the fouth line that was out when Carolina got there last penalty. i know it was wheeler who was tripped right/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

This year Thornton has played 55 shifts with less then 5 minutes left in the third period. Out of those 55 shifts 1 goal has been scored against the B's. The Montreal game.

According to those stats there isn't any reason why anyone should single him out for not being on the ice when the B's are up by one. Ever ! He has been solid when given that ice time in that situation.

Would I prefer to have other players out there other then Thornton ? Obviously, yes. Would I go as far as saying he should never be out on the ice when protecting a lead ? If I go by the stats which has become this forum's way of saying you're wrong, nope !

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Stats do not always spell it out, and for all the early comments, remember Montreal??? Bergie scored two and then Claude gave it away. Thornton gives his best every time on the ice, always has, but he is not very skilled. Watch when he tries to make a quick/sharp turn, I made a better cross-over when I was 60. He is needed when other teams try to bang and bust, but lately McQuaid, Campbell, Horton and others, even Kreji, have responded, so Thornton's days are numbered. Claude did well in having Bergie/Savard and Chara facing Staal even without the last change, so maybe he forgot to replace Thornton in the last few minutes. After all, Claude is not noted for his flexibility.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

This year Thornton has played 55 shifts with less then 5 minutes left in the third period. Out of those 55 shifts 1 goal has been scored against the B's. The Montreal game. According to those stats there isn't any reason why anyone should single him out for not being on the ice when the B's are up by one. Ever ! He has been solid when given that ice time in that situation. Would I prefer to have other players out there other then Thornton ? Obviously, yes. Would I go as far as saying he should never be out on the ice when protecting a lead ? If I go by the stats which has become this forum's way of saying you're wrong, nope !
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Nicely said!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

LOL

In sports, nothing is going to be effective or not effective every time.  If that were the case, teams would have 100% powerplay scoring stats and go 82-0.

Erring on the side of caution is a good idea.  Playing the team's worst player when needing or protecting against one goal doesn't make sense.  Ever.

Of those 55 games he was out there with less than five minutes, how many times were they down a goal or two?  How many times did he score?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

He might be the teams worst player but when the 4th line is out there, they seem to have a knack of grinding down low and playing in the other teams end.  This can not always be said about the other 3 lines from night to night.

I also wouldn't accuse this line of not being able to clear the zone as they are just as effective and in some cases more effective than the "skilled players" at making good chip plays to get the puck out. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Energy, determination and discipline are often more important to solid defense than skill.  Thorton is obviously not Wayne Gretzky, but I would rather him out there than say... Seguin.  If he is fresh and ready give a hard shift and pressure the opposition, I'm happy to have him out there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He might be the teams worst player but when the 4th line is out there, they seem to have a knack of grinding down low and playing in the other teams end.  This can not always be said about the other 3 lines from night to night. I also wouldn't accuse this line of not being able to clear the zone as they are just as effective and in some cases more effective than the "skilled players" at making good chip plays to get the puck out. 
    Posted by misterpaulo

This isn't about the fourth line.  If Greg Campbell could play the last three minutes of every game, I'd be happy.

This is about the worst player on the team being on the ice in a critical situation.  They don't put him on the powerplay in the second period, so how does it makes sense to have him on the ice with four minutes left and the team down by a goal?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Your sig line and opinion forever keeps getting changed . Yes, at one time it started out as the 4th line.....then it went to just Thornton being out there up or down by one ........now it's changed again ( 2 goals ). LOL

Sections
Shortcuts