Twice in the last 5 minutes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Twice in the last 5 minutes

NAS,
    One thing, in protecting a lead, is thornton really your worst player??  I mean would you rather have him on the ice over say savard or seguin at this point? He is not a great skater, but he is responsible, does what he is supposed to do.. If the stat that only 1 goal has been scored in thortons shifts with less then 5 minutes on the ice is true, I would assume that is exactly the type of player you want on the ice at that time.

there is also the added insurance that it keeps guys from taking too many liberties on the goalies late in games.  That was a pretty common theme in the carolina game put bodies in front hit the net hard, I think there was less in the last few minutes though, then there was in much of the game.

bigger issues bruins are now 3-4-2 when tied after 2 periods.. Thats a pretty awful stat for a team that leads the lead in 3rd period goals..The team has a tendency to stop playing, to sit on leads etc, and until that is correct, I am fine closing games out with guys you know are going to give you maximum effort regardless.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I agree with NAS, Thornton is one demensional as a player.  His stick checks just don't cut it defensively.  Offensively, he is fearless in going in front of the net.  Yet with no skills it is a waste.  Good team mate or not he is not needed on the team imnsho.  Thornton's time has come to an end.  I perfer McQuaid in the role of ice cop.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Down a goal....OK fair enough NAS.  On a typical night in this situation, Thornton wouldn't be in the mix and I would reduce the bench to 3 lines.  But some nights are not so typical and we have seen from time to time some skilled players generating absolutely nothing.  On those nights, I have no problem sending a message to the underperforming by playing the guys that are at least generating chances.  

When it comes to protecting a lead.  There are several others that frighten me allot more than Thornton. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

as it stands today the bruins are 2nd in the east 6th overall in the nhl in pts, that is playing half the season wout savard and missing key players throughout the 1st half for stretches of time...id say julien is pushing all the right buttons we just need to be healthy, savy is coming into form and krejci is still slowed by his concussion and lucic by his injury  give them time when they are all going at 100 or close to 100 percent we will be a tough out for anyone in the nhl

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Twice in the last 5 minutes:
    [QUOTE]Your sig line and opinion forever keeps getting changed . Yes, at one time it started out as the 4th line.....then it went to just Thornton being out there up or down by one ........now it's changed again ( 2 goals ). LOL
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

That sig line has been the same since I changed it from the one about no longer responding to under 100 posts or whatever it said.

Up or down by two goals with less than five minutes left in a game is no place for the team's worst player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NAS, One thing, in protecting a lead, is thornton really your worst player??  I mean would you rather have him on the ice over say savard or seguin at this point? He is not a great skater, but he is responsible, does what he is supposed to do.. If the stat that only 1 goal has been scored in thortons shifts with less then 5 minutes on the ice is true, I would assume that is exactly the type of player you want on the ice at that time. there is also the added insurance that it keeps guys from taking too many liberties on the goalies late in games.  That was a pretty common theme in the carolina game put bodies in front hit the net hard, I think there was less in the last few minutes though, then there was in much of the game. bigger issues bruins are now 3-4-2 when tied after 2 periods.. Thats a pretty awful stat for a team that leads the lead in 3rd period goals..The team has a tendency to stop playing, to sit on leads etc, and until that is correct, I am fine closing games out with guys you know are going to give you maximum effort regardless.
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think Thornton is the worst player in any situation that doesn't require the gloves coming off. 

When was the last time anyone tried ran a Bruins goaltender?  To be protecting a lead late in the game, a fighter isn't needed.

Sure, maximum effort is needed, but if max effort is 10 and skill level is 2, you're at 20.  If effort is 7 and skill level is 6, you're at 42.  Trying really hard isn't everything.  I will go out there for the last two minutes and put in my absolute best effort.  That won't help the team at all!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

As much as I like our 4th line & think they rank among the best in the league. They're 4th liners for a reason. If they were relied upon for anything but to give the other lines some extra rest, create some havac & don't get scored on in the process they'd be playing on another line on a consistent basis. They're 4th liners & 4th liners don't belong on the ice in critical situations. That's been the way since teams went with 4 line teams. CJ is the ONLY coach in the league that does this consistently. I don't care about what has happened stats wise! How many times has TT or Rask bailed them out? How many close calls has happened?

The other thing is I'd like see before he resorts to using the 4th line in these close games late? USE A FREAKIN TIME OUT & put someone else besides Thornton out there! Maybe that extra 30 sec rest would give some more talented players more energy to get out there & put the game away, or tie it up!

So those of you who have a love for CJ & his coaching style? More power to ya! There's those of us who have just as much right to be against his style! His style hasn't gotten this team any further than any other coach since Rick Bowness. His style has gotten this team in the record book as one of 3 teams to blow a 3-0 series lead & the ONLY team to blow a 3-0 in game 7! So excuse me for not liking his use of a Shawn Thornton, or even a Dan Paille in a 3-2 hockey game that's late in the 3rd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Baseball analogy.

This would be like bringing in your DH(power hitter) to pitch the bottom of the 9th.  He has a lot of talent but not the right man for the job.

Thorn does have talent, he has played 336 games he has 22 G and 51 Pts in the NHL. That is about 1 point every 6 1/2 games, still more than any posters here.  The thing is he has 82 majors, about 1 every 4th game, this is what got him to the pros and keeps him here, he is a hitter not a closer. When you see teams bringing in their hitters to close games, you have to question the smarts of the coaching staff.

The 4th line right now has a lot of talent on it, both Camp(407Gm 35G 101Pts=1Pt every 4th game) and Wheel (209Gm 49G 104Pts-1Pt every 2nd game) play a lot of the SH situations, so throwing them out with Thorn must be a bonus in Cj's mind.

I realize that coaches throw out a player in final min sometimes in hopes of getting them the empty net goal as a reward for play or it is their birthday or they have family there, but a fighter should be out there only if there is a good chance there is going to be ugly shiite, like Carkner on Pail(where the hell was Thorn by the way).

It is not done when the game is on the line and should not be done.(Only in Cj's world.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Not the DH, but the #9 hitter.  Hey, the guy has a good glove and he runs really fast and let me tell you, he never stops trying, but he can't hit.

Yeah, in CJ's world...where apparently Chowda lives.

Chowda, considering this is your thread, and you brought up the stat, can you please answer my question?  Here, I'll ask it again:

Of those 55 games Thornton was out there with less than five minutes, how many times were they down a goal or two?  How many times did he score?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Probably want to let this one go, Chowda.  The support you expected just hasn't materialized.

The team's worst player doesn't belong on the ice at critical times.

Ever.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Can anyone seriously pick out a better 4th line than Boston's 4th line ?

The 2010 Bruins roster is the closest we've come to recreating the Stanley cup rosters in the early 70's !

It's the best lineup we've had in 40 years !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

No , your sig line and posted opinions hasn't stayed the same on this topic . It started out as 4th line ..........just Thornton........any situation.......went to 1 goal .....then 2 goals . It's obvious that after 3700+ posts you don't remember everything you've posted . As a matter of fact you altered your sig line yesterday. Lying to your faithful . Shame on you !

And considering it's my thread you should go back and read the first post. It has nothing to do with the B's being behind in a game and scoring goals. He is obviously not the player to be out there with 5 minutes left and down on the scoreboard. It is a matter of him being out in a defensive role with 5 minutes left to play . You keep changing the topic to suit your argument ( you are famous for this ).

I asked for cold hard statistical facts. I gave you 54 out of 55 times that Thornton was on the ice ( in every type of situation ) and the other team didn't score. And you gave me .....well......nothing ( but your opinion ). Am I supposed to take your opinion over cold hard statistical facts ? 

Let it go ?  There are quite a few who are fine with Thornton being out there . Try reading again . This time don't skip over everyone elses posts just so that you can go back and fall in love with your own..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

To be fair I think Dan Paille is the team's worst player, and I think Clode thinks so too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i'm with you chowda... the stats don't lie,  unless your multiplying effort times skill?????what is that?????thorty is having his best year as a bruin offensively and defensively...and is no way a liability on the ice- thinking back to last game ... it was his hustle that forced the delay penalty. it reminds me of a poster a week or two back that said TT ALWAYS gives up a bad goal. really... a 1.nothing g/a? 7 shutouts? some people stick to their guns, even in the face of cold hard facts. what are you gonna do?  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Comparing baseball situations to hockey?  Seriously?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

2ND IN THE EAST  WITH INJURY DEPLETED LINEUP FOR MOST OF 1ST HALF   JULIEN IS DOING GREAT NO CHANGES NEEDED

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the only baseball analogy i can think of that is similiar is...if a pitcher started the game by hitting the every batter...thats how the bruins should play the habs...lol...baseball?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]No , your sig line and posted opinions hasn't stayed the same on this topic . It started out as 4th line ..........just Thornton........any situation.......went to 1 goal .....then 2 goals . It's obvious that after 3700+ posts you don't remember everything you've posted . As a matter of fact you altered your sig line yesterday. Lying to your faithful . Shame on you ! And considering it's my thread you should go back and read the first post. It has nothing to do with the B's being behind in a game and scoring goals. He is obviously not the player to be out there with 5 minutes left and down on the scoreboard. It is a matter of him being out in a defensive role with 5 minutes left to play . You keep changing the topic to suit your argument ( you are famous for this ). I asked for cold hard statistical facts. I gave you 54 out of 55 times that Thornton was on the ice ( in every type of situation ) and the other team didn't score. And you gave me .....well......nothing ( but your opinion ). Am I supposed to take your opinion over cold hard statistical facts ?  Let it go ?  There are quite a few who are fine with Thornton being out there . Try reading again . This time don't skip over everyone elses posts just so that you can go back and fall in love with your own..
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    I'm also with you on this one Chowdah. You presented the facts to back up your post...54 out 55 is damn fine in my books, obviously the coaching staff knows this too. Thornton is a pretty decent player...heck, he's won a cup, he's well liked by his teammates, doesn't make very many mistakes, and rarely takes any dumb penalties. I'd say he's reliable....not the most skilled, but reliable. Nas ,everyone knows about his disdain for Thornton...but the facts are facts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

All I know is Randy Carlyle gave Thorts an ave ice time of 3:47 in the 07 play-offs! Where Humpty Dumpty gives him as high as 9:00. RC also only dressed him for 15 of 21 games. I think I'll take the coach with the Stanley Cup ring methods on how to judge who should be on the ice & WHO SHOULDN'T BE!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]All I know is Randy Carlyle gave Thorts an ave ice time of 3:47 in the 07 play-offs! Where Humpty Dumpty gives him as high as 9:00. RC also only dressed him for 15 of 21 games. I think I'll take the coach with the Stanley Cup ring methods on how to judge who should be on the ice & WHO SHOULDN'T BE!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

With all due respect 38, Carlyle's handling of Thornton in the 2007 playoffs has nothing to do with this thread . It is about Thornton doing a capable job during the regular season ( 2010 - 11 ) with less than 5 minutes in a defensive role.

Btw , playoffs and regular season are two totally different animals. Do you think anyone wants Thornton on the ice in this situation come playoff time ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

Fourth line does a great job of keeping the puck in the offensive end and they're a big enough threat that the opposing coach is intimidated about putting their fourth line out. Excellent strategy

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

Anyone see a relationship between CJ rolling 4 lines and Boston being the best 3rd period team in hockey?  they're fresher than the other team.  Thorton deserves nothing but credit for his play this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

NAS
    I completely disagree with this (and sorry but the "reply" isnt working"

Yes, I think Thornton is the worst player in any situation that doesn't require the gloves coming off. 

When was the last time anyone tried ran a Bruins goaltender?  To be protecting a lead late in the game, a fighter isn't needed.

Sure, maximum effort is needed, but if max effort is 10 and skill level is 2, you're at 20.  If effort is 7 and skill level is 6, you're at 42.  Trying really hard isn't everything.  I will go out there for the last two minutes and put in my absolute best effort.  That won't help the team at all!

In a defensive situation thornton absolutely is not the worst player on the ice, You like to see things your way, but in protecting a lead I would rather have him out, there then savard who has been prone to bad passes, seguin who is prone to turning the puck over in the zone and weak on the puck. etc..

similarly your skill to effort is way off, we see talented players fall short all the time for the lack of effort, many of those guys do not have nearly as long of a career as your "effort" grinder guys, Satan has more skill then many of the guys on the bruins proved it last year, still not playing...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I agree with most of you concerning the effectiveness of the 4th line (as I stated on my previous post) but this is not the issue.The issue is I don’t think it’s a great idea having Thorton protect a one goal lead within 5minutes of the end.   Let’s face it the talent he possesses there are more chances he gets beat or takes a penalty chasing  than making a great defensive stop. I will give him credit that he’s working really hard and helping his overall play but I’de rather have an extra center or another winger on the ice to protect the lead. 

You're saying out of 55 shifts when Bruins were leading  (and I applaud you on getting this stat ) only 1 goal has been scored with Thorton on the ice ?
    Impressive , but how many of them the Bruins were leading by more than 1 goal ?  I know I saw him on the ice a lot when they were beating Atlanta 8-1 or Ottawa 6-0 or Canes 7-0. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone see a relationship between CJ rolling 4 lines and Boston being the best 3rd period team in hockey?  they're fresher than the other team.  Thorton deserves nothing but credit for his play this year.
    Posted by Seabasshole[/QUOTE]
    Amen!!