TWO 1st round picks and you say WHAT PC!?!?!?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: TWO 1st round picks and you say WHAT PC!?!?!?

In Response to Re: TWO 1st round picks and you say WHAT PC!?!?!?:
    In Response to Re: TWO 1st round picks and you say WHAT PC!?!?!? : I know what you mean, those skits that the New York Rangers do during the first intermission are brilliant. Worthy of Monty Python. And I've been told Wheeelr does a great Leslie Nielsen impression.
    Posted by red75

I knew someone  had to call him on that.The NHL has more parody than Mad magazine.........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Wheeler and a conditional third will likely get us Kaberle. If we sign Kaberle to an extension then the 3rd could be flipped to a 2nd. Whether this is enough for a depp playoff push, however, is debatable....

Wheeler and a 2nd can get you someone decent on D, no need to trase away TOR's pick
    Posted by KrayzieJoe

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't like Jacobs, I don't buy many tickets, I am not a homer, I b*tched constantly about this team for a decade...

...but, I like just about everything Chiarelli is doing.  It is a seller's market right now, big time.  The Bruins are holding assets (2 1st rounders) that will only become more valuable as the draft approaches.  There is no need to force the unfathomable "home run" trade.  They would be more likely to blow the value of the picks.

If the right trade comes along, I hope they make it.  Otherwise I hope PC is smart enough to maximize the value of the picks and walk away from a bad trade market. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

Why shoot your mouth off about your first round pick being in play if you had no intention of using it, just to get the fans hopes up for a big let down ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I agree....unless a superstar is on the block there is no scenario I can think of in which trading T.O.'s is a necessity...

I don't like Jacobs, I don't buy many tickets, I am not a homer, I b*tched constantly about this team for a decade... ...but, I like just about everything Chiarelli is doing.  It is a seller's market right now, big time.  The Bruins are holding assets (2 1st rounders) that will only become more valuable as the draft approaches.  There is no need to force the unfathomable "home run" trade.  They would be more likely to blow the value of the picks. If the right trade comes along, I hope they make it.  Otherwise I hope PC is smart enough to maximize the value of the picks and walk away from a bad trade market. 
    Posted by Fletcher1

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

He it was in play in the right circumstances - it's a sellers market so that may have simply not materialized yet

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Why shoot your mouth off about your first round pick being in play if you had no intention of using it, just to get the fans hopes up for a big let down ?
    Posted by john6345

It's pretty simple really.  You put the pick out there so people make you offers for it.  Maybe even compete with each other to make the best offer.  You hold the cards.

These negotiations have nothing to do with the fans hopes and emotions.  Nor should they.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

It's not a buyers market if you don't have the nuts to do it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: TWO 1st round picks and you say WHAT PC!?!?!? : How can you be so certain?  For the top 10 pick to matter, the other team needs to be awful and looking to rebuild.  For it to be a homerun trade, that team needs to have a high quality player it is willing to move.  That likely means not young, or at least a pending UFA they don't think they will resign.  Said good player also has to meet the Bruins' needs.  Since it is likely that a truely impactful player will take more than just the draft pick, it means that the bad team has to like some of the Bruins' prospects. Is there a match like that out there?  That's a lot of things that have to go together.
    Posted by DrCC

Not really.  Ryder's 4 millioin is gone next year, as is Savard's 5.

That's 9 million available just to slap down to re-up for a top tier player in the future.

This is what I mean about the Chia defenders. They don't accept the fact that Savard, a 1st Centerman, who is now off the books as totally free space, needs to be replaced somehow on the roster.

Nor do they think it's Chia responsibility as GM to replace a healthy Savard.

So, this means, you lose that player and you need to replace said player in some fashion.

Then it starts to look like another season of excuses from the Jacobs/Chia regime.

How on earth is this guy not dangling each 1st rd pick and pairing one of them as an offer

I would even argue, he could unload BOTH 1st rd picks if it meant scoring two fantastic future core players moving forward.

Are we are this team hasn't been to a Cup in 20 years and hasn't won one in

What is with people satisifed with the "we have these legendary prospects and picks, so let's sit on them" routine?

It's like a series of excuses and "yeah, buts" and then followed by how wonderful Chia is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

We don't know if Savard's $5 million is gone yet, and neither does PC. Or did Marc announce his retirement and I missed it?

Also Im a little tired of all the Kelly bashing today. He's strong on the forecheck, is  solid on the PK, bangs with the best of them, from all reports is good in the locker room and has a work ethic almost as good as Chara's, has good speed up the boards, and has a knack for getting things going shorthanded. In many ways he's a prototypical Bruin. He's not a star, and he doesn't put us over the top most likely, but he does make the team better. For a second round pick that will be somewhere in the 50's? I'd do that trade any day of the week.

Watch him become a fan favourite here, just like he was in Ottawa.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I do agree with you Xenimus that now is the time to go for it. The problem is that I do not think PC is bold enough to do this effectively. His job is not necessarily to attempt to "win it all" as it is to keep the Bruins perennially competitive which is difficult to do if you trade away your 1st round picks...just ask the leafs about that. That being said, somtimes you do have to simply go all out. Chicago did it last year and Philly this year is trying to do the same. I do not necessarily disagree with this....it has been 40 years afterall!
    Posted by jmwalters

And barring some stupidity, like trading our first round picks for a cup run this year, the B's will be in a position to load up very soon.  Listen to the knee jerk GM's around here and in 3-4 years we'll be losing RFA's (Lucic, Marchand, Rask, Krejci, McQuaid), because we can't sign them and there will be nothing coming through the system to feed the team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It is in play, but that doesn't mean a deal will happen.  If he can get a good d without using the pick, he will do that.

n Response to Re: TWO 1st round picks and you say WHAT PC!?!?!?:
    Posted by john6345

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: TWO 1st round picks and you say WHAT PC!?!?!? : Perfect.
    Posted by pbergeron37

It's not prefect at all especially seeing Chia's poor drafts in recent years.

He spun us with Kessel and then scapegoated him out of town because he isn't Cam Neely. Now, Seguin, a rookie is a rookie and we have an aging Vezina goalie in net.

It's the classic plug a hole here, and let another one open up over routine, and at the end of the day, you still have ZERO results and have accomplished nothing.

People overrate NHL players in a draft. That's the bottom line. Most of them never really pan out.

Byfuglien was an 8th rd pick, for example.

UNless there is some incredible can't miss pick in the top 10 next year, use one of your 1st rd picks as a a chip. That's one of the reasons why you abused Toronto for it, right???  To procure an asset for a potential move like this?

This is a golden opportunity for him. Right here. 

Another year of Chia standing up there on the podium smiling as he does his work for Jacobs in June during the draft isn't going to cut it.

This is it for Chia. He'll be a bigger failure as a GM here than Sinden was in 25 years as GM, if he doesn't succeed in making this team Cup ready.

PERIOD

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Huh?  How does cap space come into play?  My point is purely about whether there are other teams actually interested in moving high impact players - and if there are, if they are actually interested in what Boston has to offer.  As for replacing Savard, teams tend to hold on to their first line centers.  

Yes, they can move those picks/prospects - but someone has to want them AND have something worthwhile to offer in return.

Is it an excuse if no teams with parts the Bruins could use are interested in what they Bruins have to offer?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Huh?  How does cap space come into play?  My point is purely about whether there are other teams actually interested in moving high impact players - and if there are, if they are actually interested in what Boston has to offer.  As for replacing Savard, teams tend to hold on to their first line centers.   Yes, they can move those picks/prospects - but someone has to want them AND have something worthwhile to offer in return. Is it an excuse if no teams with parts the Bruins could use are interested in what they Bruins have to offer?
    Posted by DrCC

Are you telling me your point is there aren't a lot of sellers out there or the sellers are being unreasonable?

Cap space has to factor in, as you implied, simply because Chia shouldn't be tossing a 1st rd pick for a rental.

Pretty simple.

This is why the Brad Richards thing has come up.  You only move the Toronto pick if he can be signed long term.

Savard's career is likely over, so it's a strong possibility this makes sense, if Dallas wanted the Tornto pick and maybe another B's player for Richards.

This is why the Mike Fisher price seems out of whack to me.  He went for a 1st rd pick which is way too high.

The market seems tight due to so many teams with a shot, which is a fair point, but Chia has a slew of chips which basically eliminates this aspect.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: TWO 1st round picks and you say WHAT PC!?!?!? : Really? Then NHL has more parody than any other sport. There are maybe 3-legit teams in the entire league that are a step ahead. At least 10-12 teams have a great chance to make it to the finals with one or two solid pieces. So i guess the GM's for these teams are not doing their job by not improving their team eh?
    Posted by xenimus

That is exactly why it is such a dumb gamble.  Unless you are one of those 3 teams, or maybe just outside that group, there are just too many variables in the playoffs to sacrifice the future for the now.  One or two players, unless they are elite, are not going to make that much of a difference.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

^^^I think this is ludicrous. Barring Kreicji's injry in last year's playoffs, Boston probably beats Philly last year.

This is almost the same exact team, some might argue a BETTER team, on paper.

Translation: This team is CLOSE to being Cup ready.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: TWO 1st round picks and you say WHAT PC!?!?!? : Are you telling me your point is there aren't a lot of sellers out there or the sellers are being unreasonable?
    Posted by BBReigns

I'm saying complaining about Chiarelli not making a big trade may be like complaining about how people haven't found the Loch Ness Monster yet.  Maybe that trade simply doesn't exist.

If you are going to evaluate Chiarelli's performance, it needs to be on the moves he has made - not the ones you think maybe possibly were out there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: TWO 1st round picks and you say WHAT PC!?!?!? : It's not prefect at all especially seeing Chia's poor drafts in recent years. He spun us with Kessel and then scapegoated him out of town because he isn't Cam Neely. Now, Seguin, a rookie is a rookie and we have an aging Vezina goalie in net. It's the classic plug a hole here, and let another one open up over routine, and at the end of the day, you still have ZERO results and have accomplished nothing. People overrate NHL players in a draft. That's the bottom line. Most of them never really pan out. Byfuglien was an 8th rd pick, for example. UNless there is some incredible can't miss pick in the top 10 next year, use one of your 1st rd picks as a a chip. That's one of the reasons why you abused Toronto for it, right???  To procure an asset for a potential move like this? This is a golden opportunity for him. Right here.  Another year of Chia standing up there on the podium smiling as he does his work for Jacobs in June during the draft isn't going to cut it. This is it for Chia. He'll be a bigger failure as a GM here than Sinden was in 25 years as GM, if he doesn't succeed in making this team Cup ready. PERIOD
    Posted by BBReigns

So many things wrong with that, but to start, nobody is saying he has to use the draft picks himself -- the point is that he should use the picks for maximum value.  During this trade market (with the demand of buyers far far outweighing the supply of seller's) the value of the picks is minimal.  At the draft, a top five pick is worth a ton -- we heard all kinds of deals that were rejected last year for top five picks, because GM's had totally fallen in love with certain blue chip prospects.

The point is that there are likely no good "home run" deals to be had (no matter how bad you want it).  The e-harmony joke refers to all of these people pining for trades that are totally unrealistic.  The reality today is that the Bruins draft picks will be worth a lot more in 3 months than they are right now.  You want to blow them now on a "home run" deal at all costs.  I don't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Hemsky is coming off an injury and be had for a cheaper young player like a Wheeler and maybe a draft pick.

I could only imagine what he could do to help this PP.  And Kreicji. 

D Joni Pitkanen is not delivering in Carolina the way they want and with them rebuilding, maybe a draft pick and Brad Stuart makes them turn their head, without it appearing like they are selling out on the 8th spot in the East.

There are options, especially with the incredible deadling arsenal of chips Chia has.

There is nothing unrealistic about this as a basic scenario whatsoever or the one that is the homerun move, where Chia unloads the Toronto pick for a player of need for now and years to come.

Some of you are incredible with the satisfied take on this team and organization.

You are more interested in buying Chhia's rhetoric than seeing results.

We've seen Danny Ainge show the stones, obviously Belichick for YEARS has had more than the stones to make the moves to try to win and Theo Epstein, without a cap in a easier league to be more aggressive, has been creative in building teams.

What good is it if you aren't trying to win a Cup?  Show me.

Zach Hammill, Joe Colborne, two 1st rd picks, Wheeler, Stuart, Rask, McQuaid, etc, etc, etc, are all up for grabs if I am the GM weighing options.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

From what ive seen of Kelly hes the same as what the B,s already have. A PK,mucker,banger,etc,etc & he just ate up half of the salary a injured Savard left us. So much for that 4 million player that we need without giving salary,players back. The worst part could be he,s going to eat up valuable experienced minutes Seguin could be getting. I hope he pans out well for the B,s,lights a fire under there bonnet, but i dont see him as a upgrade to what is already here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Hemsky is coming off an injury and be had for a cheaper young player like a Wheeler and maybe a draft pick. I could only imagine what he could do to help this PP.  And Kreicji.  D Joni Pitkanen is not delivering in Carolina the way they want and with them rebuilding, maybe a draft pick and Brad Stuart makes them turn their head, without it appearing like they are selling out on the 8th spot in the East. There are options, especially with the incredible deadling arsenal of chips Chia has. There is nothing unrealistic about this as a basic scenario whatsoever or the one that is the homerun move, where Chia unloads the Toronto pick for a player of need for now and years to come. Some of you are incredible with the satisfied take on this team and organization. You are more interested in buying Chhia's rhetoric than seeing results. We've seen Danny Ainge show the stones, obviously Belichick for YEARS has had more than the stones to make the moves to try to win and Theo Epstein, without a cap in a easier league to be more aggressive, has been creative in building teams. What good is it if you aren't trying to win a Cup?  Show me. Zach Hammill, Joe Colborne, two 1st rd picks, Wheeler, Stuart, Rask, McQuaid, etc, etc, etc, are all up for grabs if I am the GM weighing options.
    Posted by BBReigns

How do you know it is rhetoric?  You have a copy of his files?  

There is nothing unrealistic about the actual deals you mention in terms of player values going either way.  However, it may be Chiarelli has considered exactly those trades - or even ones better for the other teams - and they've said "no thanks".  We don't know.  I just don't see how you can argue a case against Chiarelli's decisions based on what you don't know, rather than what you do know.

The 'homerun' trade is far more difficult to analyze.  Since Chiarelli would want a longer-term return on Toronto's first rounder, you are looking at younger players.  Young, preferably higher-end players are the players that bad teams (especially if they have income problems) want to hold on to.  It will take a special set of circumstances for such a player to even be available.  The Bogosian situation, for instance, seems plausible.  I'd think that would take more than the pick though.  That means the Thrashers would have to be interested in some of the other players Boston could offer.  I suppose Ramsey being familiar with the Bruins' prospects might be a plus.  

There may be reasons other than lack of testicular fortitude for a trade not happening, though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I can only go by what he does and says. Please stop defending a GM who is supposed to be positioning this team for a Cup run.

So far, he's failed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I can only go by what he does and says. Please stop defending a GM who is supposed to be positioning this team for a Cup run. So far, he's failed.
    Posted by BBReigns

Has he failed to get results?  Sure.  No Cup.
    Does that mean he hasn't done everything in his power to try to get results?  Unless you've got a tap on his phone, you don't know.  It's just easier to place blame than face reality sometimes, I guess.

If Chiarelli is passing on clearly worth-taking risks, I expect him to be fired.  With the cap capping expenses, and the team selling out, the only way to improve profits is through playoff success.  Jacobs knows this.  You know what he wants.  There are even enough reasonable quality forward prospects that fear of 'selling the farm' shouldn't factor in to it, either.

If Chiarelli does nothing, and keeps his job, Jacobs is satisfied with the decisions Chiarelli made on possible trades.  I'd say that makes it reasonable to think the big trade to make the Bruins elite simply didn't exist.

Edit:  Oh, and I would say this for any GM of a winning team that doesn't make a trade.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Results driven business and by results I don't mean result$ for Jacobs.

Clearly, and I mean VERY CLEARLY, a Cup hungry town like this expected Chia to come here to build a Cup winner, not a makeshift Cup contender.

We must have differing expectations. This is the exact reason I lower mine, but if I am being truthful, the more time that goes by and the more excuses we hear from Jacobs on WEEI in June or from Chia in April or May when the team is elimimnated, the more unlikely it is he succeeds here.

Sections
Shortcuts