Two thoughts, one thread: Fights = momentum and stick 'em up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: Two thoughts, one thread: Fights = momentum and stick 'em up

He fought Carkner because Carkner kept bumping and shoving him and was running at players like he always does. The fight got the crowd roaring and it did pick up the B's (even though they played with a full tank all night). Who knows maybe if the fight didn't happen the Sens come back and win 4-3. Don't say it didn't pick them up emotionally. I was there and it was huge. Fact is, even when the opposing team wins a fight it's hard for a huge momentum swing in the Gahden. The fans there, for the most part, love the fights and they hope to see them at every game. As for your 2nd part I completely agree. It gets annoying reading all the "OMG he just said something to so and so and this guy was on the other side of the rink and didn't come in to yell at the other guy! NO HEART!!!!". 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinBuff. Show BruinBuff's posts

Truth is the Probably Carkner obliged Thornton another time when he did'nt have to and Thornton just returned the favor tonight. Its all part of the "code" the enforcers follow.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Carkner did what he was supposed to, they were losing he did something to try to swing momentum..

Its the same effect as calling a time out, its not a gaurantee, but it breaks up the play, changes the tone..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Two thoughts, one thread: Fights = momentum and stick 'em up:
    [QUOTE]Carkner did what he was supposed to, they were losing he did something to try to swing momentum.. Its the same effect as calling a time out, its not a gaurantee, but it breaks up the play, changes the tone..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Yes, Roler, if that is the case, wouldn't it be in Thornton's best interest not to fight?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Thats a time when thornton has to decide if he is going to be drawn in, but this is a team that takes a lot of criticism for its play and heart, especially at home, so my belief would be that this was absolutely something he should have done..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You do understand how contradictory that is, right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

No its not at all,
    Its a time when he has to decide if he gets drawn in or not he decided it was a good time too.  I agree, same score same game on the road, maybe you don't. 

you respond because your not going to be pushed around at home, you respond because your going to play hard and do what it takes..Thornton did ok, he took a good shot but it was more or less evened out by the end.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

NaS, Carkner would've run roughshod all nite ( moreso than he did ) if Thorts hadn't taken some of the wind out of his sails.... He didn't get beaten up - watch the fight again - it was a narrow win for Carkner, but if you watch it again ( ie; without getting squeamish ) you'll see he came back nicely and landed 4-5 around the middle-late part. And yes, Carkner got the take down so it looks more favourable for him, I get that.....

A complete game, fire and ice, for the Bs.... Kudos guys !!    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

We see it differently.

Let me see if I can phrase it differently:

IF (and that's a big if) a goon getting into a fight can change the momentum of a game, with his team up 3-0, wouldn't the goon be better off not fighting?  Why give the other team a possibility of getting a boost (if that truly happens)?

And, for those who say Carkner was running guys and whatever else, I watched this game twice (too much fun to enjoy only once!) and saw nothing before the Thornton fight.  Thornton put himself in the position to go when he did.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Nas,
    I didnt think he was running guys, i think it was meant to be a momentum changer..
    I do also believe you can maintain your momentum with a good fight..

We both know your not a fan of the "staged fight" so that will never change, If thornton got pounded could if have been demoralizing yes.. at the same time here's a guy giving up size to a fighter in a game when they are up 3-0.. That should send a message to the bench that we do need to keep playing hard (something this team hasnt always done) 

but I think thorton was right to react as he did in this situation, I also was
    thinking he was out at the end of the game with savy and seguin as an insurance measure..

This is one of the better more complete games of the season, similar to the atlanta game, so say what you want about the staged fight but I believe the stat edwards rattled off was the bruins are 6-2-1 when thornton drops the gloves

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Two thoughts, one thread: Fights = momentum and stick 'em up:
    [QUOTE]Nas, I didnt think he was running guys, i think it was meant to be a momentum changer.. I do also believe you can maintain your momentum with a good fight.. We both know your not a fan of the "staged fight" so that will never change, If thornton got pounded could if have been demoralizing yes.. at the same time here's a guy giving up size to a fighter in a game when they are up 3-0.. That should send a message to the bench that we do need to keep playing hard (something this team hasnt always done)  but I think thorton was right to react as he did in this situation, I also was thinking he was out at the end of the game with savy and seguin as an insurance measure.. This is one of the better more complete games of the season, similar to the atlanta game, so say what you want about the staged fight but I believe the stat edwards rattled off was the bruins are 6-2-1 when thornton drops the gloves
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

And they are 2-1-3 when Recchi gets a penalty.  And they are 1-0 when Paille fights.  Those stats are interesting, but not indicitave of anything.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]You do understand how contradictory that is, right?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    We get it.....you don't like Shawn Thornton.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two thoughts, one thread: Fights = momentum and stick 'em up : We get it.....you don't like Shawn Thornton.
    Posted by Beezfan4life[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

The issue is NAS isn't a fan of the staged fight on principle.  So, there's no sense arguing... but, for kicks, the simple answer to "Why would he take the chance when his team is already winning?" is simple:

Because when the Bruins are on the road and down by 3 goals, he needs other guys on those teams to be willing to do the same thing when he comes calling.  He can't just pick fights when the Bruins are losing and decline them when they're winning.   Yes, it's "the code" that NAS is so against in principle at play.

That's the simple answer.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions and personal feelings toward the situation (like it, don't like it, don't care)... but that is the simple answer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

p.s. I totally agree on issue #2.  The calling out of players for not "sticking up" for their teammates at the slightest infraction is the domain of Fanboys...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If I'm right, NAS, you think roler's comment re: deciding if this was a time to be drawn in or not conflicts with trying to demonstrate this team's got heart and a bit of nasty?  That is, if you have to think about it strategically, it's not a down-in-the-belly reaction fight.

I think too much is made of the momentum changing fight.  I think it can happen, but the other thing that can happen is the guy provoking the fight can find himself picking his chicklets off the ice, and if the point was to get his team fired up, that's an epic fail.  A Lucic vs. Komisarek like result might wake a team up, but if you're on Komisarek's team, it's the final straw - time to pack your gear and call it a day.  Assuming you fight to win, why not beat 'em in the alley even though you're already beating 'em on the ice?

No different in philosophy from sitting on a two goal lead.  Stay aggressive.  Don't become passive just because you're winning.  Address each situation as it comes with the same energy and balls to the wall drive.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two thoughts, one thread: Fights = momentum and stick 'em up : We get it.....you don't like Shawn Thornton.
    Posted by Beezfan4life[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^ Yep. The real reason for the thread .

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

...and worse than calling guys out for "not sticking up for" someone is the speculation about why:  Joe B made the beast with two backs with Bob G's wife!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The thing that is being completely missed here with the Savard-Orpik thing is that two other Pens came flying in to "stick up" for Orpik, while Ryder and Lucic just watched from a distance.  That is the key point there.

Yeah, if Savard wants to slash Orpik and then Orpik comes back after him, fine.  But watching Letang, Orpik and another Pen (?) triple team Savard is what is troubling.  For anyone who has whined about this team not sticking up for each other (everyone, OP included) that was a perfect situation to get it done. 

By and large players should fight their own battles.  But not 1 vs. 3.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

It didn't look like a staged fight from where I was sitting. Carkner gave him several shots before Thornton finally dropped the gloves. This was not a friendly "want to go?" situation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two thoughts, one thread: Fights = momentum and stick 'em up : ^^^^^^^^^^ Yep. The real reason for the thread .
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Typical, baseless statement.  Sort of becoming the norm, reducing your credibility.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Dave,
    Its staged from the point that it wasnt the result of a play..

NAS sees no value in the staged fight.. But it exist, readily around the league, and I would guess most fights are  a result of this..

Teams sign guys for this reason, and all teams do it, so there has to be some value in it right NAS?? I mean pittsburg is a great team, and they lead the league in fighting majors..
    I don't think anyone is going into a fight if their not emotionally involved, and its a tough job to do, I can't imagine doing it if you don't care or believe in it..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think the issue with Carkner and a 3-0 score is that he is determined to fight somebody.  He and Neil were both working their way through the Bruins lineup looking for takers.  Thornton, Chara, McQuaid, Horton, Ference, whoever.  I think that if Carkner can't find a taker, he starts getting after anyone/everyone in a lopsided game like that. 

Since Thornton knows who he is on this team and understands his role, I think he did the noble thing and took the fight -- not because he wanted it, but because he didn't want anyone else to have to do it.

By and large, I agree with the silliness of all this goon/code stuff.  But I think that Thornton did the right thing last night and I bet that McQuaid, Chara, etc. appreciate what he did.  Carkner just beat up Boogard a couple weeks ago, nobody wants to fight the guy. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

"Its staged from the point that it wasnt the result of a play.."

I disagree. Thornton took several shots and didn't drop the gloves right away. This wasn't two fighters following the code to stage a fight. How many hits should Thornton have to take before it's considered a result of play?

Agree with Fletcher1 above.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Anyone want to bet that Thornton lights up Carkner next game between these two? Staged, yes. Purposeful, also yes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Dave,
    your not getting it..

Carkner went after thornton looking to instigate a fight.
    Thornton didnt put a hit on him that resulted in carkner being over come with emotion and starting a fight, he went out looking to change the momentum of the game, and starting a fight to shake things up.. It was not the result of a hockey play.. It was the result of looking to stirs things up..

Sections
Shortcuts