Two thoughts, one thread: Fights = momentum and stick 'em up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

Re: Two thoughts, one thread: Fights = momentum and stick 'em up

A staged fight has two willing participants. Thornton didn't seem willing. You can only can take so many hits before you defend yourself. I think you are defining staged fights too broadly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Dave,
    I will stick with me definition of a staged fight, thornton wasnt at a point were he was defending himself, carkner did not come after him as a result of a hockey play.. Thats precisely what NAS is talking about in referring to a staged fight..
    This wasnt a result of a play this was a result of carkner looking to fight to shake things up, he wasn't going after thornton as a result of emotion do to a play in the game..

I think your defining it to narrowly if you think the only staged fight is to guys looking at each other nodding their heads "yes" and dropping their gloves..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

Let's agree to disagree then.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

We don't have to NAS can way in as to what he meant..
    But I think the more typical understanding of a staged fight is a fight unrelated to the play..
    This fight was instigated by the scoreboard, not a play on the ice

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Two thoughts, one thread: Fights = momentum and stick 'em up:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two thoughts, one thread: Fights = momentum and stick 'em up : Typical, baseless statement.  Sort of becoming the norm, reducing your credibility.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

You commenting on my credibility being reduced has just raised it up a notch or two. Your hatred for Thornton is well known on this board just as much as when the topic is about women in hockey. Who are you trying to fool ?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: Two thoughts, one thread: Fights = momentum and stick 'em up:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two thoughts, one thread: Fights = momentum and stick 'em up : You commenting on my credibility being reduced has just raised it up a notch or two. Your hatred for Thornton is well known on this board just as much as when the topic is about women in hockey. Who are you trying to fool ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

This squabble between Chowdah and NAS is like watching my parents fight. Can't help but feel this is somehow my fault...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

dc , not your fault at all . This has happened before and will happen again . Sometimes the bully needs to be bullied .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

And Dave,
    my line of thought is not that different then yours.. Me and NAS had a similar "discussion" in regards to the fight starting the atlanta game..

I don't disagree that there was emotion behind it and it was real, but it wasnt related to a hockey play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

NAS- totally disagree with your "stick-up" analysis.  This is a fundamental part of the game, I am surprised to see you advocate this point.  Just the other night, you posted that you were happy that McQuaid for dropped the mitts with Moen, who was jamming on TT.  You applauded McQuaid, but this thread suggests that McQuaid should have let TT handle it.  The tougher guys on the team need to "stick-up", "protect" or "police" the other teams tougher guys when they are taking liberties with your teammates. That's hockey.

As much as I like Lucic, he does not do this.  I can think of three examples where teammates have come to his defense:
    1) Savard on the boarding by Avery (Bos vs Dal)
    2) Thornton on the low-bridge hit by Komisarek
    3) Ference on the high hit by Meyer

The only time that I can recall Lucic "sticking up" for one of his guys was pre-season when Triston Grant was trying to start with Horton off a faceoff. 

I find that disappointing about his game, and would expect a player of his size/strength to play a bigger role with this stuff.  Fletch nailed it, the Pens players "stuck-up" for Orpik, the B's players did nothing for Savard.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Two thoughts, one thread: Fights = momentum and stick 'em up:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two thoughts, one thread: Fights = momentum and stick 'em up : This squabble between Chowdah and NAS is like watching my parents fight. Can't help but feel this is somehow my fault...
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

Not me DC I used to get popcorn and yell out "give'em a shot Ma!" that usually didn't work out to well for me...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I think the issue with Carkner and a 3-0 score is that he is determined to fight somebody.  He and Neil were both working their way through the Bruins lineup looking for takers.  Thornton, Chara, McQuaid, Horton, Ference, whoever.  I think that if Carkner can't find a taker, he starts getting after anyone/everyone in a lopsided game like that.  Since Thornton knows who he is on this team and understands his role, I think he did the noble thing and took the fight -- not because he wanted it, but because he didn't want anyone else to have to do it. By and large, I agree with the silliness of all this goon/code stuff.  But I think that Thornton did the right thing last night and I bet that McQuaid, Chara, etc. appreciate what he did.  Carkner just beat up Boogard a couple weeks ago, nobody wants to fight the guy. 
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Great post Fletch.Perfect description of Thornton doing his job and why he had to do it.Carkner's a nut-case who doesn't care about getting knocked out in a fight.He just steps in and fires bombs until someone is flat on the ice.Real tough but a liability on the ice.You're right though.Somebody had to fight him.I really wasn't too impressed with him grabbing Paille.What's with the tough guys wanting to beat up Paille?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Just do what I do when it comes to NAS--- laugh at his arrogance and then go read something else more worthy of my time.  If you have over 3500 posts, I can't take them seriously anymore.-- LMAO

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DAVESTAPLETON86. Show DAVESTAPLETON86's posts

when a team is down 3 or more goals, somebody is gonna go with somebody. stop pretending you understand the fighting part of hockey. you don't.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]when a team is down 3 or more goals, somebody is gonna go with somebody. stop pretending you understand the fighting part of hockey. you don't.
    Posted by DAVESTAPLETON86[/QUOTE]
    Who doesn't understand?Anybody?Everybody?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

baaaaaaaaaboooooon!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticBear68. Show CelticBear68's posts

is this "fight" b/t NAS and Chowdah "real" or staged?   ;-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]is this "fight" b/t NAS and Chowdah "real" or staged?   ;-)
    Posted by CelticBear68[/QUOTE]
    Great question and avatar.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DAVESTAPLETON86. Show DAVESTAPLETON86's posts

op.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]NAS- totally disagree with your "stick-up" analysis.  This is a fundamental part of the game, I am surprised to see you advocate this point.  Just the other night, you posted that you were happy that McQuaid for dropped the mitts with Moen, who was jamming on TT.  You applauded McQuaid, but this thread suggests that McQuaid should have let TT handle it.  The tougher guys on the team need to "stick-up", "protect" or "police" the other teams tougher guys when they are taking liberties with your teammates. That's hockey. As much as I like Lucic, he does not do this.  I can think of three examples where teammates have come to his defense: 1) Savard on the boarding by Avery (Bos vs Dal) 2) Thornton on the low-bridge hit by Komisarek 3) Ference on the high hit by Meyer The only time that I can recall Lucic "sticking up" for one of his guys was pre-season when Triston Grant was trying to start with Horton off a faceoff.  I find that disappointing about his game, and would expect a player of his size/strength to play a bigger role with this stuff.  Fletch nailed it, the Pens players "stuck-up" for Orpik, the B's players did nothing for Savard.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

There is a big difference between the incidents you mention here and the Savard incident in Pittsburgh.  Savard slashed Orpik after a clean hit.  The hit on Savard was not dirty at all.  Savard was in the wrong and so other Penguin players stuck up for Orpik.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Shouldn't be different 306.

Are you saying that Lucic saw the slash and made the judgement call that he wouldn't back Savard?

Either you have your teammates back or you do not...the Pens had Orpik's back (not that he needed it), the Bruins did not do the same for Savard.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

NAS, at what point of the game did the Savard-Orpik event happen?

I missed the first 50 minutes and haven't had time to replay it yet. I don't want to comment before seeing it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

If all of you would realize Lucic was skating towards the blueline after the play and as soon as he saw what was going on he skated down towards Savard. He is clearly seen in the reply of being right there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

some teams "respond" to a teamates scrap...others not so much. the bruins,i feel, have always picked up their game after a fight. it gets the emotion back into their game- something that gets lost for periods of time. too bad this is the case- but i find myself rooting for a tustle when they look flat-it usually picks up their game

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from flave36. Show flave36's posts

Heard a stat at the end of the game the other night from Kathryn Tappen that the Bruins are 6-1-2 when Thornton gets in a fight so...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

"...and worse than calling guys out for "not sticking up for" someone is the speculation about why:  Joe B made the beast with two backs with Bob G's wife!"
    - bookboy

What does this mean?