two trades, one crazy, one realistic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

two trades, one crazy, one realistic

First, the reaslistic, dealing Boychuk to.....Minnesota. Minnesota currently has 13.5MM in cap room, with only 14 committed to D men. They need at least one more, and probably two. In return, the BRUINS (wait you have to capitalize bruins when introducing a trade thought right Stanley) get Massachusets native, and former first round pick of the Sharks Charlie Coyle. Coyle played a season at BU, jumped ship to the Q, tore it up, and then I believe was part of the Brent Burns deal. He's a monster to play against, at least he was at the lower levels and I think he's ready to break out. His cap hit is 900K, hes 6'3" 220 lb and a right handed shot. I think the bruins could probably get a sweetener, in the form of a prospect or a draft pick, maybe conditional depending on whether or not Minnesota can extend Boychuk. 

Now, I'm fine with that ending the Bruins off season, I think they would be okay trotting out D pairings of 

Chara - Hamilton

Krug/Bart - Seidenberg

Krug/Bart - McQuaid

Miller.

Or they could continue with the crazy part, which involves the Bruins trading for a guy the other team doesn't want to give up, AND convincing them to eat some salary by blowing them away with assets.

To Boston: Jack Johnson at half salary (2.2ish cap hit)

To Columbus: Bartkowski, Spooner/Khokho, Morrow, 1st round pick. If they would have any interest in Kelly with the Bruins eating a million, which they potentially might, that could make things easier, but let's talk about the crazy with it just being the kids.

Bruins lineup

Lucic(6) - Krejci (5.25)- Eriksson(4.245

Marchand(4.5) - Bergeron(6.5) - Smith(2)

Kelly(3) - Soderberg (1) - Coyle (.9)

Paille(1.3) - Spooner/Khokho(.7) - Campbell(1.6)

Caron(.6)

Chara(6.9) - Hamilton(1.5)

Johnson(2.2) - Seidenberg(4)

Krug(2) - McQuaid(1.5)

Miller(.8)

Rask(7 [sorry shupe])

Svedberg(.6)

roughly 500K cap room

I like the idea of the Boychuk one and think it's plausible. Obviously the Johnson trade is a pipe dream, but it would be a fun way of getting some cap room.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re: two trades, one crazy, one realistic

I like the idea of Charlie Coyle....but giving away Spooner, Bart and. 1srbround pick for Johnson ...no way ...I think you guys do not realize how good Spooner will be in the NHL ...you dont trade Spooner never ever ...after 30 games Spooner will be our no.2 in points ..you'll see

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 3 more Cups by 2020

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

But I would very surprised to see the Wild trading Coyle, he is a 1st round pick and a big forward

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But I would very surprised to see the Wild trading Coyle, he is a 1st round pick and a big forward

[/QUOTE]

So is Caron 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I like the first deal.  Not so much the 2nd.  Ive never been a fan of JJ.  

Ultimately i think Boychuk is on his way outta town...i dont think we can resign him and dont wanna risk losing him for nothing.  A team in dire need of a dman and a righty dman is Detroit.  Would be thrilled to snag a guy like Tatar.  Detroit has a lot of young talent.  They are well coached and are cap friendly.  Of all the teams out there Detroit interests me the most.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So is Caron 

[/QUOTE]

Your own words about Coyle :  I think he's ready to break out. First time I agree with you !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

As much as I love Boychuk & what he brings, love this idea! Can see Coyle really blending in with Lucic-Kecji . Reminds me of a trade for a young, up & coming RW the bruins did back in the 80,s. How about throwing in Haula for Kelly as the sweetener? Fills 1st line RW with Coyle, 3rd line LW with Haula & a boatload of cap relieve! Great looking out bostonfan, the best reasonable idea I,ve heard yet for the cap relieve situation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think Minnesota would need more than a second pairing 30 year old defenseman with an expiring contract for a 22 year old former first rounder who might turn into a really good, solid player.

I'd be okay with that deal, however.  I'm a Boychuk fan, but I won't be bothered when he's elsewhere.  Not having to discuss him constantly would probably be worth it.

I don't believe in Jack Johnson.  He's never lived up to his billing but more importantly, anything else.  I'd much rather see them get creative and keep Boychuk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NiftyKJ. Show NiftyKJ's posts

Love Charlie Coyle, but pretty sure Minny would want more than Boychuk for him. I think we are more likely to trade for a young RW that is a little less proven. Third line with some potential. Silverberg or Smith-Pelly from Anaheim. Now, if you could somehow package a deal to get one of them and Vatanen, I'd be a happy camper. I know we have lots of young D but this guy will be a stud. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Shupe - at this point I don't want them trading for any more lefty centers that might have to play out of their natural position. That said I do like Tatar and Sheehan. 

Stan - why can't a team trade a big former first rounder?

nas - I get the sense (I base this off reading a few articles out of Minnesota) that the wild are a bit disappointed with Coyle, and expected more than 12 goals in his second season. More importantly I think boychuk is just a perfect fit out there. A right handed d man that can own the second pairing or in a pinch eat important minutes with suter is just what they need. The bruins should have no problem selling the wild on boychuk being able to handle top pairing duties. They should view it as what they need to take the next they go as a contender, and giving them a full season to negotiate an extension.

nifty- I think Silfverberg is as proven if not more so than Coyle wouldn't you say? Smith pelly is currently a restricted free agent, he won't make a ton, but more than Coyle

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to pucman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As much as I love Boychuk & what he brings, love this idea! Can see Coyle really blending in with Lucic-Kecji . Reminds me of a trade for a young, up & coming RW the bruins did back in the 80,s. How about throwing in Haula for Kelly as the sweetener? Fills 1st line RW with Coyle, 3rd line LW with Haula & a boatload of cap relieve! Great looking out bostonfan, the best reasonable idea I,ve heard yet for the cap relieve situation.

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that Coyle would be a better fit on the third line. If he tears it up and earns a promotion that's great but so far he's topped out at 12 goals. I'd let him grow

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The scenario isn't crazy, but I'm not sure the end result isn't better than where they are currently.  Coyle's an interesting player, but is he a better prospect than Spooner or Koko?  Both Bruins prospects were more productive in the AHL than Coyle, and while Coyle brings nice size I think most would say speed and scoring is Boston's biggest need.  And I've never got the love for Jack Johnson.  I think it has to do with him having a name like a singer and being buddies with Sidney Crosby in prep school.  Nothing about is career is special.  In fact, he doesn't even bring much more offence than Boychuck when you consider he lives on the pp in Columbus while Johnny Rocket rarely gets to use his rocket on the pp here.  Also reflect on the idea that the Kings TRADED Johnson to move closer to the cup they won the year of the trade.  I think he may be a bit of a dud.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The scenario isn't crazy, but I'm not sure the end result isn't better than where they are currently.  Coyle's an interesting player, but is he a better prospect than Spooner or Koko?  Both Bruins prospects were more productive in the AHL than Coyle, and while Coyle brings nice size I think most would say speed and scoring is Boston's biggest need.  And I've never got the love for Jack Johnson.  I think it has to do with him having a name like a singer and being buddies with Sidney Crosby in prep school.  Nothing about is career is special.  In fact, he doesn't even bring much more offence than Boychuck when you consider he lives on the pp in Columbus while Johnny Rocket rarely gets to use his rocket on the pp here.  Also reflect on the idea that the Kings TRADED Johnson to move closer to the cup they won the year of the trade.  I think he may be a bit of a dud.

[/QUOTE]

On Johnson, I don't necessarily disagree, but I love his contract, and I love the concept of giving up assets to get a guy with term at half salary. 

On Coyle. First, yes I think he's better, I think he's poised for a break out season rather than a "break into the nhl" season. Also he brings something the bruins don't have in their prospects, a big, strong, fast right winger. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

nas - I get the sense (I base this off reading a few articles out of Minnesota) that the wild are a bit disappointed with Coyle, and expected more than 12 goals in his second season. More importantly I think boychuk is just a perfect fit out there. A right handed d man that can own the second pairing or in a pinch eat important minutes with suter is just what they need. The bruins should have no problem selling the wild on boychuk being able to handle top pairing duties. They should view it as what they need to take the next they go as a contender, and giving them a full season to negotiate an extension.

[/QUOTE]

With Koivu only finding the back of the net 11 times last season, Coyle finished tied for 5th with Dave "Killer" Carlson Dany Heatley.  As a recent first round pick just getting is bearings on the NHL game, I would be stunned to see a young-for-old trade happen.

Stranger things have happened, certainly, but this one is too far off for me.

I'd be damn thrilled, however!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

I know people really want to see Spooner make the big club, but why does everyone's scenario end up with him centering the 4th line? You really want a guy who plays like a fast Marc Savard to play 6-8 minutes a game on a grinding/checking line?!?

Also not sold on the idea of trading Boychuck, as to me, he's everything people seem to think McQuiad is/should be: solid d-man, big hitter, not too bad jumping into the offense, great slap shot, not smart enough to be afraid of anything. I'd love to see him finish his career here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NiftyKJ. Show NiftyKJ's posts

[QUOTE]

Shupe - at this point I don't want them trading for any more lefty centers that might have to play out of their natural position. That said I do like Tatar and Sheehan. 

Stan - why can't a team trade a big former first rounder?

nifty- I think Silfverberg is as proven if not more so than Coyle wouldn't you say? Smith pelly is currently a restricted free agent, he won't make a ton, but more than Coyle

[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think Coyle is slightly more established than Silverberg. He has played on the top two lines at Minny, and even with the addition of Vanek, is still pencilled in there for this coming year. I like Silverberg as well, just slightly less. I think he wouldn't cost as much to obtain. Anaheim is really deep at forward. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't see Spooner on the fourth line.  I would see him on 3rd line LW with Fraser moving to RW.  I would experiment with this if I'm Julien.  Fraser is a lefty too, but has played RW before.  That's assuming these are the guys that look the best in camp.  If Koko or Pastrnak or Griffith or whoever does better, that's who gets the shot.  I'm also assuming Kelly is moved.

In response to socca10's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know people really want to see Spooner make the big club, but why does everyone's scenario end up with him centering the 4th line? You really want a guy who plays like a fast Marc Savard to play 6-8 minutes a game on a grinding/checking line?!?

Also not sold on the idea of trading Boychuck, as to me, he's everything people seem to think McQuiad is/should be: solid d-man, big hitter, not too bad jumping into the offense, great slap shot, not smart enough to be afraid of anything. I'd love to see him finish his career here.

[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's the problem, he's gone next year. How do you feel about moving him assuming he walks next year?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With Koivu only finding the back of the net 11 times last season, Coyle finished tied for 5th with Dave "Killer" Carlson Dany Heatley.  As a recent first round pick just getting is bearings on the NHL game, I would be stunned to see a young-for-old trade happen.

Stranger things have happened, certainly, but this one is too far off for me.

I'd be damn thrilled, however!

[/QUOTE]

That's fair. I like the idea of trading boychuk though, and I like the idea of trading for a rw under his elc that has played in the league before. Any one like that you think is more realistic?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

It would be a mistake trading boychuk, the best shot blocker on the team, plays hurt, never quits and hits people, not afraid of the battles in the corners. Crazy

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on Johnny. It'll be a shame to lose such a hard hitting D and exciting player that's in his prime.  With Seidenbergs age and injury can he play the amount of minutes Johnny played last year. He'll have to for certainly Mcquaid in not the answer. Either way if he goes hopefully they can pick up an equally talented RW to play with DK.  But maybe they better to wait and see how Seidenberg progresses. If he has setback and Johnny is gone good bye their cup hopes

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's the problem, he's gone next year. How do you feel about moving him assuming he walks next year?

[/QUOTE]

I'm not convinced he's gone yet. Maybe it's better to say, I haven't resigned myself to thinking he has to be. Having said that, it's clear there's a logjam on D right now, assuming McQ and Seidenberg are 100% healthy all season. And I know the cap becomes even more of an issue after 2015. I'd be pretty happy with Chara, Hamilton, Seidenberg, Krug, Boychuk and Miller as our starters for the next few years. :)  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Boston, i think this is a great idea.  Minny is in win now mode.  Having a physical, experienced leader on the back end helps them big time.  He is a ufa so a sweetner must be added.  

As for players playing outta position i think you could play Tatar or Sheahan would be ideal for the 3rd line.  Tatar plays lw.  He is unreal to watch. Datsyuk-lite.  

I think you are in the ball park for the type of player we may land.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Minnesota would need more than a second pairing 30 year old defenseman with an expiring contract for a 22 year old former first rounder who might turn into a really good, solid player.

I'd be okay with that deal, however.  I'm a Boychuk fan, but I won't be bothered when he's elsewhere.  Not having to discuss him constantly would probably be worth it.

I don't believe in Jack Johnson.  He's never lived up to his billing but more importantly, anything else.  I'd much rather see them get creative and keep Boychuk.

[/QUOTE]

That would be my preference, just not sure I see it happening.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Last thing the Bruins need is veteran defenseman and another LW.

Sections
Shortcuts