Tyler Seguin has no hockey sense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Re: Tyler Seguin has no hockey sense

In response to dannycater's comment:

Tyler Seguin is the Bruins best shooter on a team that has guys who are completely overrated--Lucic (really tired of the Neely comparisons), Horton (goes into Josef Stumpel-esque fogs that can last 15 games). He fits in perfectly for the B's and he's going to become a 40-goal scorer within 2 more seasons. If he has no hockey sense, then give me 3 more of him on a power play and I'll see how quickly the PP ratio goes from 15 percent to 30 percent. Marchand is a tremendous player, and so is Bergeron, and so is Krecji, and all of them don't have Seguin's explosive qualities. Maybe he hasn't played up to what others want out of a top of the line draft pick, but I'm real pleased with him, and damn glad he's a Bruin. He's got a great sense of humor for a kid his age, and he isn't even close to touching his overall potential, and when he does, let Olsonic come back here and tell us more about no "hockey sense."

You took the words right out of my mouth. Except the Lucic part.

Way to go, Danny boy!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Note what Don Cherry says about Stevie Y - re: "dancer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0rnqM8bgrI

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Note what Don Cherry says about Stevie Y - re: "dancer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0rnqM8bgrI

Doesn't he remind you of Seguin.

The reincarnation will soon be complete.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to Olsonic's comment:

I reverse my longly held position that Edmonton Oilers made a mistake not drafting Tyler Seguin. He's not a better player than Taylor Hall, and I'm starting to think it isn't that close.

Tyler Seguin can do three things at an extremely high level: He can skate like the wind, he has a fantastic snap shot, and he's lethal on breakaways. But this season it's been increasingly obvious to me what Tyler Seguin cannot do at a high level:

• He has no idea how to enter to offensive zone with the puck. Seguin regularly turns it over at the blueline, either by bumping into teammates along the way, drop-passing it to no-man's land, or simply fumbling it out of his possession at the most harmless looking poke-check.

• Even if he does enter the zone with the puck, he almost never manages to create opportunities for his teammates beyond a burst of speed to the outside and heaving it across the middle or back to the point when the D over-commits. If the play evolves to anything more complicated than just an outside rush to the net, he's ends up wandering through the offensive zone on the weak-side waiting for a pass that never comes or he's in support on the strong side, stationary, and ends up collecting a pass and chucking it to the point like he’s a robot.

In other words, Tyler Seguin has no hockey sense. He has no feel for his teammates and no creativity when he has the puck in his hands and he has no feel for the play without the puck. The only thing that makes Seguin a top player is the fact that he can absolutely bury the opportunities that he does get, and his speed is world class. When it comes to stick-handling, when it comes to shaking a defender by outsmarting him or working with a line-mate to get into opportunistic spots, he’s hopeless, and you know what? I don’t think it will ever change.

Look around the NHL, do you see players that really substantially change their games at any point in their career? Sure, guys get stronger. But do you ever see players that were not scorers become snipers, or players that could not stick-handle become great with the puck, or guys that can’t pass become playmakers? No, you really don’t. I don’t think Tyler Seguin has the hockey smarts to be that player that we need him to be. Brad Marchand, David Krejci, Patrice Bergeron, and Milan Lucic have way more hockey sense than Tyler Seguin, and from what I saw, Ryan Spooner does to.

Does that mean I want Seguin out of here? No, I like him and I think he’s a great asset to the team, but I no longer think it’s a problem that’s he’s playing wing (because he may not have the sense to play center), and I no longer think he’s the future of the franchise. Tyler Seguin is a good supporting player; he’s a second tier 1st line wing. That’s just fine for this team, but lets just stop calling him the best player on the team. He’s the best shooter, and the best skater, that’s really it.

i think it is you that doesnt have any hockey sense

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

In response to dannycater's comment:

Tyler Seguin is the Bruins best shooter on a team that has guys who are completely overrated--Lucic (really tired of the Neely comparisons), Horton (goes into Josef Stumpel-esque fogs that can last 15 games). He fits in perfectly for the B's and he's going to become a 40-goal scorer within 2 more seasons. If he has no hockey sense, then give me 3 more of him on a power play and I'll see how quickly the PP ratio goes from 15 percent to 30 percent. Marchand is a tremendous player, and so is Bergeron, and so is Krecji, and all of them don't have Seguin's explosive qualities. Maybe he hasn't played up to what others want out of a top of the line draft pick, but I'm real pleased with him, and damn glad he's a Bruin. He's got a great sense of humor for a kid his age, and he isn't even close to touching his overall potential, and when he does, let Olsonic come back here and tell us more about no "hockey sense."

You took the words right out of my mouth. Except the Lucic part.

Way to go, Danny boy!

Don't get me wrong about Milan. I actually really like him on the B's for different reasons than Seguin, but what I don't like is people assuming he will be a Neely-like scorer or try to think of him other than what he has done. He goes into many long fogs every season. Then he'll have stretches where he nets 5 or 6 or 7 goals, and then he can go right back into the fog (playoffs, he's done that too much). He is another cog on the B's, but I think even Julien has too many expectations of him to be a scorer and I think he is just a medium range type. If he gets 25 goals in an 82-game season, I'm fine with it as long as he continues to add his muscle, checking game, and carries the play to help his 2 linemates. When he scores the type of goal he did v. Toronto, you would think he could just do that a lot, and maybe if he focused he could. I don't know. I just don't think he will be where Seguin will be as a scorer. Seguin is a legit scorer and it's going to become more apparent as the season approaches the playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

0 points in the last 4 games. Im all for being patient but if this is what we get from Seguin, he is a bust

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to BostonBruinss' comment:

0 points in the last 4 games. Im all for being patient but if this is what we get from Seguin, he is a bust

Yes and if a kid doesn't grow they'll be short. Kids typically grow. So will Seguin's game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I am going to try to pay more attention to this, but I feel like the complaints Olsonic lists could be applied to basically all of the Boston forwards when it comes to an standard offensive-zone entry (as in not a 3-on-1, etc).  If it isn't a dump-and-chase, it's nearly always one of the scenarios described.  In particular, the dash down the outside with a dump back to the point seems to be a mainstay of their offensive scheme.  I'm not saying Seguin shouldn't try to improve on these, but that what he tries to do may be a part of the overall offensive mentality for the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Good thought, Dr.  Entry into the offensive zone is one of those things that might be a question of coaching, and it would explain both of the points Olsonic mentioned - both skating into the teeth of the D and bumping into his own guys.  The first would be the result of doing what's in the plan and not what the D is giving him, and the second is not doing what's in the plan - improvising - and finding that the rest of the team is still on script.  It still suggest Seguin has some mental improvements to manage, but it's better than a blanket lack of creativity or hockey sense.