Tyler Seguin Tracker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Tyler Seguin Tracker

I think the trade was the right thing to do, only because the B's are primed to win more now. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

You can't predict the future, and neither can I.  Seguin's career (or Kessel's for that matter) may flounder or they might become Hall of Famers with more life time goals than Mario.

However, the Bruins realize they have a window to win some Stanley Cups before the core of the team gets too old.  And in pursuit of that goal they dealt Seguin.  Regardless of how Seguin's career goes long term, they had to trade for players they feel are more effective in the playoffs.

I like the player, but I can't deny he was absent in the playoffs last year.  You have to have zero tolerance on the matter, if it was his rookie year, then maybe yes.  But 7 pts in 13 playoff games his rookie year.  And 8 pts in 22 games last year?  2 years down the line from that rookie season?

If you weren't a cup contender or if you were out of the playoffs, yes, you can take the time for his development, but not when you're one of the contenders.

The guy isn't a banger, he doesn't dig pucks out of the corners, he doesn't do a lot of things, but he is supposed to SCORE - when it counts.  In the playoffs. In the big games.

ONE goal in he playoffs.  ONE.  I like the player, but you can't tolerate that.

There is parity in the NHL, the difference in talent from top to bottom isn't that big.  The Bruins need mature responsible players on the ice.

Enough time has gone by for me to separate my emotions about the player from the reality, and reality was the only logical choice was to deal him.  They needed 3rd line depth and some prospects and they got that for him, the immediate needs were obtained.  Becuase it was the 3rd line that was an enormous problem in the playoffs for lack of production .  A third line with Seguin on it.

This year, no Dogvan, no Pandolfo and plenty of contention for that 3rd line.  If they had that last year, they would have had a lot higher probability of success.

Could it be an embarassment?  Yes.  It could.  But logically there was no way around it.  If they kept him, it's saying low playoff performance is OK, and they can't afford to do that.  This is not a vey young team like the Avs who are looking long term, this is a team that must have success in the playoffs now.

[/QUOTE]

A well thought post that backs up your thoughts Bad.  Those are always the best read.

Although I'm not upset with the decision to deal Seguin, I think one has to look much deeper than last years playoff performance.  I don't think that's a good enough reason to pull the trigger.  IMO, the Bruins decided they erred in their decision to pay what they did, coupled with the term.  Simple as that.  They decided moving forward...he's probably not as good as they thought..  If he was, the cap hit, and one bad playoff when you're only 21 wouldn't mean squat.

I agree with them partially.  Although flashy, I consider Seguin kind of a "dumb" hockey player.  One that despite the "pond skills", really has nothing to hang his hat on.  To me, Kessel was, and is, miles ahead of this kid after 3 years in the league, simply because Kessel certainly has an area or 2, in which he can hang his hat.

In a capped league, team success is dictated by the number of team bargains.  Having the worlds best player on your squad, can possibly screw you.  Currently, Tyler Seguin is no bargain, and if he doesn't perform up to that #2 overall hype...he won't be.  IMO that probably won't happen, and because of the term, that liability just keeps going up.

When I use the word "partially" I'm referring to my perception that you can't win with a team full of "Bruin type players".  Although I love Bergeron and co, they don't win that many games.  They keep you in em...they save you some....but they don't win that many.  You need some finish(Seguin was the best S/O guy).  I haven't seen much of Louie, and if he's a perenial 25 goal guy great.  But if he's another "responsible" piece, I'm not sure the chances are better.  We seem to love these "1 way players" if defence is their forte, and despise those who only excell offensively.  The latter are tougher to come buy, and one balances the other.  Too much of either, and the recipe is ruined.

Although the cap, and party stuff is good fodder, it's more of a smoke screen than reality.  It's easily remedied.  You don't trade someone you believe will be a franchise player because of immaturity.  You trade him because you've decided in your own mind, he won't be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Bergeron 'didn't win' Game 7 against the Leafs last year?! Sorry, I'm not missing your forest for one tree here, but that needed to be pointed out. It's this kinda statement - if left unchecked - that is keeping Bergeron in '0n-the-bubble' consideration for Team Canada. When, in fact, he will be a huge part of that team, helping them 'not lose' the Gold Medal. The narrative of his under-ratedness needs to be changed.

On Seguin: Quite simply - or more simply - Claude Julien is going to be the coach in Boston for a long time. After Kessel  and now, Seguin, we have learned that, regardless of a player's jump-off-the-sheet talent level and skill set, if Julien can't use him...Julien can't use him.

There is no point in drafting a player like Seguin for the Bruins anymore. Julien is not going to find a place for a player like this. I'd rather the Bruins trade a high first round pick (if they ever get one again!) for a player (or players) that Julien can use and to the Bruins favour.

This is not to disparage Julien, I think he's onto something; The new NHL player - at least the new NHL Boston Bruin player, needs to be versatile, agile, smart, tough, selfless and I like it. With the help of the Salary Cap, the days of the 'role players' in the NHL are coming to a close. Cup contenders - inspired by Julien's (and Chiarelli's) 2011 Cup winning Bruins - now need to have a roster of players who can slot in at almost any position, who can help the team in at least several ways - I see even Shawn Thornton adapting to this...sorta.

Eriksson gives Julien what he wants, Seguin did not. No point lamenting it. It's Julien's team

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A well thought post that backs up your thoughts Bad.  Those are always the best read.

Although I'm not upset with the decision to deal Seguin, I think one has to look much deeper than last years playoff performance.  I don't think that's a good enough reason to pull the trigger.  IMO, the Bruins decided they erred in their decision to pay what they did, coupled with the term.  Simple as that.  They decided moving forward...he's probably not as good as they thought..  If he was, the cap hit, and one bad playoff when you're only 21 wouldn't mean squat.

I agree with them partially.  Although flashy, I consider Seguin kind of a "dumb" hockey player.  One that despite the "pond skills", really has nothing to hang his hat on.  To me, Kessel was, and is, miles ahead of this kid after 3 years in the league, simply because Kessel certainly has an area or 2, in which he can hang his hat.

In a capped league, team success is dictated by the number of team bargains.  Having the worlds best player on your squad, can possibly screw you.  Currently, Tyler Seguin is no bargain, and if he doesn't perform up to that #2 overall hype...he won't be.  IMO that probably won't happen, and because of the term, that liability just keeps going up.

When I use the word "partially" I'm referring to my perception that you can't win with a team full of "Bruin type players".  Although I love Bergeron and co, they don't win that many games.  They keep you in em...they save you some....but they don't win that many.  You need some finish(Seguin was the best S/O guy).  I haven't seen much of Louie, and if he's a perenial 25 goal guy great.  But if he's another "responsible" piece, I'm not sure the chances are better.  We seem to love these "1 way players" if defence is their forte, and despise those who only excell offensively.  The latter are tougher to come buy, and one balances the other.  Too much of either, and the recipe is ruined.

Although the cap, and party stuff is good fodder, it's more of a smoke screen than reality.  It's easily remedied.  You don't trade someone you believe will be a franchise player because of immaturity.  You trade him because you've decided in your own mind, he won't be.

[/QUOTE]

"one bad playoff"

This comment heard frequently trivializes what it really was - 22 games.  

22 games, one goal.

The players primary strength is scoring goals, his skills are 1) speed and 2) sniping and he didn't get it done.

Look further, previous year 7 games vs. the Caps, 2 goals and 1 assist.  OK.  Quite reasonable.

Rookie year, 13 games 3g 4a - and some significant goals, and a big single handed effort that won one game.

So he went from pretty good, to slight decline in pts. and no impact to finally very poor production.

Does the trend continue?  Maybe, maybe not, but it's not something you like to see.  It's one BIG yellow warning flag.

And look how his game developed.  Consider the play and not the production over the regular season.  Year 1 he made significant learning strides, stagnant a little, signficant strides.  Year 2 it was a little sophomore slump, same pattern of stagnant, then a jump, but bigger stagnant periods.  Year 3 learning was very slow.  The same scenarios over and over and he couldn't figure it out, the 1 on 4 with a crappy shot on goal or poor dump in, trying to stickhandle by guys rather than figuring out how to use the speed to get passed them.

OK, now let's look at WHY this learning trend is going on.  I don't know for sure since I'm not in the Bruins locker room, but here's one thing I know for sure.  Shawn Thornton threatened to beat the crap out of him if he didn't buckle down and if you recall his game did pick up some after that.  Another BIG yellow warning flag.

So when will he come around?  Does this history point to this year?  It's certainly questionable.

Would you rather have a proven player who is consistent in production and work effort?  And will that player be more of an asset in the playoffs?  (and in the deal dump Peverly and gain some decent prospects).

At the end of the day, it's a no brainer.   Forget the partying and the salary.  You have to help the club NOW.  The team is getting older, Bergeron's concussion history could catch up to him, you got guys like Chara and Seidenberg who have been pretty injury free over long careers, but the numbers could catch up to you.

The cup window is open, but it could shut - so you have to trade Seguin.

If the cup window is starting to open - you have to keep Seguin.

There is parity in this league, look at the Avs on the way up.  Look at Detroit who I would label as a contender before season start, but they are having some trouble now.  The age of dynasties are long over - it's just too hard to keep that window open long enough to keep Seguin.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Tyler Seguin might play with the Jumbo Joe giant chip on his shoulder this year, the "I'll show B's management what a mistake they made" and play lights out but in the end i think the Bruins made the right move. They are built to win now and there was something about Seguin's commitment, progression, development, or what have you that the B's brass didn't like. His playoff no-show aside i think the B's made the move to better the team, they received 4 players, 2 of which have made the team and 2 that have provided depth which you certainly need in the playoffs and something the Bruins sorely lacked against the Hawks, just think Daugavins (yuck). Tyler will likely do well in Dallas and that is good for him, and another thing that is good for him is the Stars likely won't make the playoffs for awhile so he won't have to worry about delivering when it counts.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"one bad playoff"

This comment heard frequently trivializes what it really was - 22 games.  

22 games, one goal.

The players primary strength is scoring goals, his skills are 1) speed and 2) sniping and he didn't get it done.

Look further, previous year 7 games vs. the Caps, 2 goals and 1 assist.  OK.  Quite reasonable.

Rookie year, 13 games 3g 4a - and some significant goals, and a big single handed effort that won one game.

So he went from pretty good, to slight decline in pts. and no impact to finally very poor production.

Does the trend continue?  Maybe, maybe not, but it's not something you like to see.  It's one BIG yellow warning flag.

And look how his game developed.  Consider the play and not the production over the regular season.  Year 1 he made significant learning strides, stagnant a little, signficant strides.  Year 2 it was a little sophomore slump, same pattern of stagnant, then a jump, but bigger stagnant periods.  Year 3 learning was very slow.  The same scenarios over and over and he couldn't figure it out, the 1 on 4 with a crappy shot on goal or poor dump in, trying to stickhandle by guys rather than figuring out how to use the speed to get passed them.

OK, now let's look at WHY this learning trend is going on.  I don't know for sure since I'm not in the Bruins locker room, but here's one thing I know for sure.  Shawn Thornton threatened to beat the crap out of him if he didn't buckle down and if you recall his game did pick up some after that.  Another BIG yellow warning flag.

So when will he come around?  Does this history point to this year?  It's certainly questionable.

Would you rather have a proven player who is consistent in production and work effort?  And will that player be more of an asset in the playoffs?  (and in the deal dump Peverly and gain some decent prospects).

At the end of the day, it's a no brainer.   Forget the partying and the salary.  You have to help the club NOW.  The team is getting older, Bergeron's concussion history could catch up to him, you got guys like Chara and Seidenberg who have been pretty injury free over long careers, but the numbers could catch up to you.

The cup window is open, but it could shut - so you have to trade Seguin.

If the cup window is starting to open - you have to keep Seguin.

There is parity in this league, look at the Avs on the way up.  Look at Detroit who I would label as a contender before season start, but they are having some trouble now.  The age of dynasties are long over - it's just too hard to keep that window open long enough to keep Seguin.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not trivializing anything.  Not sure you understand me.  I'm with you about the move.  No second guesses from this corner.  I'm just taking exception to the "cap"  scenario.  If a player today is labeled as being 'cap unfriendly'...it simply means "not good enough".  There isn't enough money available to have players playing below scale.  Teams don't have any problem shelling out the bucks...but in a cap world, a player kills his team if he isn't playing up to his salary.  Much was said about LeCaviallier before Tampa bought him out..  It wasn't his cap hit that made him tough to move, and it wasn't exactly why he was moved.  What made him untradeable was the fact that nobody thought he was "worth" what he was owed.  Nothing to do with ability, just value. 

It's the business of hockey, not the game of hockey for PC and co.  Regardless of the PR rants, the goal is to be perrenially competitive more than anything.  The B's had a lot invested in Seguin, and promoted him as the Bruin of tomorrow.  Simply put, if they thought he was going to deliver like 5.8 mil over the next few years, they wouldn't have traded him.  Nothing to do with dynasties, or parity, or windows of opportunity.  They simply came to the conclusion that in their estimation...Seguin was not going to develop into a 5.8 million dollar player in the next few years.

I'd be willing to bet the farm there was agreement throughout the front office.... that in hindsight, the 3.5 mil Seguin, was only moderately  feasable.  At 5.8...  well into the future,...it just  seemed like terrible odds so they decided to move.

I agree with that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to gord11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bergeron 'didn't win' Game 7 against the Leafs last year?! Sorry, I'm not missing your forest for one tree here, but that needed to be pointed out. It's this kinda statement - if left unchecked - that is keeping Bergeron in '0n-the-bubble' consideration for Team Canada. When, in fact, he will be a huge part of that team, helping them 'not lose' the Gold Medal. The narrative of his under-ratedness needs to be changed.

On Seguin: Quite simply - or more simply - Claude Julien is going to be the coach in Boston for a long time. After Kessel  and now, Seguin, we have learned that, regardless of a player's jump-off-the-sheet talent level and skill set, if Julien can't use him...Julien can't use him.

There is no point in drafting a player like Seguin for the Bruins anymore. Julien is not going to find a place for a player like this. I'd rather the Bruins trade a high first round pick (if they ever get one again!) for a player (or players) that Julien can use and to the Bruins favour.

This is not to disparage Julien, I think he's onto something; The new NHL player - at least the new NHL Boston Bruin player, needs to be versatile, agile, smart, tough, selfless and I like it. With the help of the Salary Cap, the days of the 'role players' in the NHL are coming to a close. Cup contenders - inspired by Julien's (and Chiarelli's) 2011 Cup winning Bruins - now need to have a roster of players who can slot in at almost any position, who can help the team in at least several ways - I see even Shawn Thornton adapting to this...sorta.

Eriksson gives Julien what he wants, Seguin did not. No point lamenting it. It's Julien's team

[/QUOTE]

I'm a Bergeron fan too, but anyone who is constantly labeled "underrated".....isn't.  He's quite famous throughout the industry for his strengths.  The reason he's on the bubble is obvious(and I think he'll be picked up for Team Canada).  When it comes to the very best hockey players in the world, Patrice Bergeron is on the bubble.....up against some very stiff competition.  The book doesn't need a re-write, or even an edit or 2.  The hockey business is well aware of PB and his many areas of expertise.

And not to be argumentive Gord, but you're terribly exaggerating Juliens power within the company.  Coaches are routinely told how they're going to use their assets, and they only have 1 small voice when discussing and choosing who's going to wear the black and gold.

Do you really think it was Juliens decision to trade him? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to gord11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gord I agree with alot of this, but for me the biggest things working against Seguin to me were Krejci and Bergeron. Playing wing on on the 3rd line in the playoffs, they were never going to max all his potential.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm not trivializing anything.  Not sure you understand me.  I'm with you about the move.  No second guesses from this corner.  I'm just taking exception to the "cap"  scenario.  If a player today is labeled as being 'cap unfriendly'...it simply means "not good enough".  There isn't enough money available to have players playing below scale.  Teams don't have any problem shelling out the bucks...but in a cap world, a player kills his team if he isn't playing up to his salary.  Much was said about LeCaviallier before Tampa bought him out..  It wasn't his cap hit that made him tough to move, and it wasn't exactly why he was moved.  What made him untradeable was the fact that nobody thought he was "worth" what he was owed.  Nothing to do with ability, just value. 

It's the business of hockey, not the game of hockey for PC and co.  Regardless of the PR rants, the goal is to be perrenially competitive more than anything.  The B's had a lot invested in Seguin, and promoted him as the Bruin of tomorrow.  Simply put, if they thought he was going to deliver like 5.8 mil over the next few years, they wouldn't have traded him.  Nothing to do with dynasties, or parity, or windows of opportunity.  They simply came to the conclusion that in their estimation...Seguin was not going to develop into a 5.8 million dollar player in the next few years.

I'd be willing to bet the farm there was agreement throughout the front office.... that in hindsight, the 3.5 mil Seguin, was only moderately  feasable.  At 5.8...  well into the future,...it just  seemed like terrible odds so they decided to move.

I agree with that.

[/QUOTE]

OK, I see, and I have to agree, certainly another 5.8 million reasons to move Tyler.  And I would even say from their perspective they had to be certain he was going to develop into 5.8, even substantial doubt would be reason enough to move him.

You have another very legit angle.  And from every angle there is, you can't be 100% happy.  After going through all this stuff, the last things on my list is - ok, is he a fan favorite?  Is he a really exciting player that puts fannies in seats?  Even fans of his, as I consider myself to be, have to pick through his game to find stuff to like.  And then go to the very last thing, is he good for PR, is he kissing babies and visiting hospitals, no it's more like kissing babes and visiting bars.  On my list it's a very distant last reason, but just points out for every reason, from every angle, this was a no brainer move.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So much of this, like so much of the Kessel seepage of years ago (and now), is about the difference between player and team.  I am a fan of the Boston Bruins first, Bruins players second, and former Bruins players on other teams can more or less s--k it.  In that light, I want the team to make moves that improve the results of the team even if that means moving good players.  So Kessel or Seguin being point/game scorers on other teams is really not the point for me.  They can be good players and it can still be the right move to have made the deals that saw them leave.  Kessel could lead the league in scoring, and for a variety of reasons, it was still the right move to let him go.  At the time, they needed to choose between Kessel and Krejci and signed Krejci first.  All he's done is lead the league in playoff scoring while being a key part of two finals runs and a Cup.  Good choice in terms of what it did for the team.  What if...?  Who knows.  But Krejci's performance has been a fact and a good one for the Bruins.  Same will be true with Seguin.  He might play up to his contract in Dallas, but moving him brought in Eriksson and Smith - at the moment, two second line wings - and upgraded the prospect pool while creating enough spare cash for the team to upgrade from Horton to Iginla.  4 games in, the team has been playing it's usual strong, two-way game (10-5 goal differential).  The team looks better, the forwards look better, from 1-9, after the trade.

I agree that the player has to perform up to the salary for a team up against the Cap, but I don't think that's an individual measure entirely.  It isn't about collecting the best players like hockey cards.  It's about using your resources to build the best team.  Seguin and Kessel weren't part of the equation for all their real and imagined talents.  Bye.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"Do you really think it was Juliens decision to trade him?..." - 'stevegm'

No I don't think it was Julien's decision to trade Seguin. I think Julien's system, his emphasis on versatility and defenseive responsibility, on accountability, on phyisicality on professionalism got Seguin traded. I think management believes more in Julien than they do Seguin. I think they thought Seguin wasn't trending toward...that certain...'Bruinism' - the culture, attitude or idea wholly and entirely created and nurtured by Claude Julien.

I was merely saying - as a reformed Julien Doubter - that I accept the fact that he will probably be coaching the Bruins into the far far future. I was merely stating that Julien is the message, the system. As fun as it is to watch a super-talented one-trick thoroughbred, rack up 100pt regular seasons for your team, I know now that - if that is all they can do - they will have no place with Julien's Bruins.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

As a Seguin fan I don't think it had much to do with his conformity to "Bruinism".

I must admit I was frustrated with his decision making with the puck and kept seeing little improvements here and there.  But VERY frustrated waiting for him to break out and telling other posters to be patient.

Will he get it?  Yes, I believe he will, the question is when.  And then there's the other part - showing up for the playoffs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

And now Peverly with his 2 assists will help Seguin be even better in Dallas LoL

Oh i've got some material now!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Going to see Seguin tomorrow night and sitting very close to the stars bench...thinking about bringing a cut out of Horton's wife...?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Tyler is 4-6-10 in 7 games.  I watched some of their game with LA last night...LA had 2 clean breakaways in the 15 minutes I tuned in.  Dallas plays pond hockey.  He should get his points though!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Sort of meaningless at the moment*, but Dallas is 13th in the Western Conference.  Not sure that's what Nill had in mind acquiring Seguin and Peverley.

*St. Louis is 5-1-1 and in 7th in the West.  They're behind teams that have played more games.  Until you get to at quarter pole, the standings are pretty much in flux.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As a Seguin fan I don't think it had much to do with his conformity to "Bruinism".

I must admit I was frustrated with his decision making with the puck and kept seeing little improvements here and there.  But VERY frustrated waiting for him to break out and telling other posters to be patient.

Will he get it?  Yes, I believe he will, the question is when.  And then there's the other part - showing up for the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

Consistently.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

3 goals in his last 40 playoff games.

Yeah, I'll miss him.

I'm actually rather surprised that just about everyone bashes Kessel, who at least produced in the playoffs when he was here, but pine for Seguin, who had 1 great period of playoff hockey and a breakaway OT goal against Washington. The results were extremely limited after that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

3 goals in his last 40 playoff games.

Yeah, I'll miss him.

I'm actually rather surprised that just about everyone bashes Kessel, who at least produced in the playoffs when he was here, but pine for Seguin, who had 1 great period of playoff hockey and a breakaway OT goal against Washington. The results were extremely limited after that.

[/QUOTE]

I thought that was a sample of more to come.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One bad playoffs fir ayoung 21 yr old is a stupid  reason to trade him -players like seguin with that takent are not permanently silenced in playoffs - seguin has 10 pts 4 goals hurts to see that . Only team to trade franchise players is Boston I guarantee that it will come back to haunt us soon. No justification for these trades all succesful teams build around their talented players even if they have a f ew too many.  I can't wait to see eriksson in the playoffs

[/QUOTE]
    I'm glad because you'll be waiting quite awhile to see Tyler again.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

He led all Dallas players in minutes played last night. That was not happening in Boston, so he'll get his points for sure. Good for him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to mxt's comment:[QUOTE] He led all Dallas players in minutes played last night. That was not happening in Boston, so he'll get his points for sure. Good for him. [/QUOTE]

Exactly

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One bad playoffs fir ayoung 21 yr old is a stupid  reason to trade him -players like seguin with that takent are not permanently silenced in playoffs - seguin has 10 pts 4 goals hurts to see that . Only team to trade franchise players is Boston I guarantee that it will come back to haunt us soon. No justification for these trades all succesful teams build around their talented players even if they have a f ew too many.  I can't wait to see eriksson in the playoffs

[/QUOTE]

I can't believe it "hurts" to see Seguin scoring for Dallas.  His scoring has produced a profound "so what" in terms of Dallas's record - they were 22-22-4 last year, they're 3-4 so far this year.

There's every justification for the trades of big name players, but if all you look at is the player's stats, it can be hard to see.  Teams trade franchise players all the time.  Gretzky was traded.  What usually happens is that they wait until the circumstances are terrible and get bupkiss for them.  I'd bet you a dollar you couldn't trade Kessel to Florida for two first round picks and a second round pick today.  Florida wouldn't want to take on an $8.5M player who has proven he doesn't make the players around him better when they could draft two more Huberdeaux and Barkovs and build through high end draft talent.  I'd also bet a dollar that every GM in the league except maybe Doug Wilson would choose to build around Chara over Joe Thornton; getting out from under Thornton was a precondition for signing Chara. 

The Bruins are 5-2.  They have yet to play their best hockey.  If it weren't for threads like this, I'd probably give no thought to how Seguin is doing.

Sections
Shortcuts