Typical Flyers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Typical Flyers

Getting smoked on the board so let's put a show on for the fans. Backfired -- Lacavalier out with a facial injury and Downie concussed by a wicked punch by Volpatti. Emery attacks Holtby and gets approx as many quality punches as number of pucks let in. Maybe Holmgren gets on the phone today with Avs to see if they want Downie back in a trade for Varlamov. Must still be sleepless on letting Bobrovsky go. Notice how refs stepped in on every fight where a Flyer was getting hammered but let Emery flail away on Holtby what seemed to be quite a long time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Typical Flyers

This was sick... and Flyers fans should be ashamed. Emery is a dirtbag. Philly trying to challenge Buffalo for biggest thugs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

Anybody remember when the last goalie fight (not involving another goalie was ??) My memory seems to think Hextall, but surely there's been one since ??

Personally, i think Emery going to be a target from here on out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I dont have a huge issue with this.  I think emery should have done what price did to thomas.  The flyers took a pounding in that.  And lost 2 players in the process.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I dont have a huge issue with this.  I think emery should have done what price did to thomas.  The flyers took a pounding in that.  And lost 2 players in the process.  

I have an issue with pounding away at someone who does not want to fight. Emery came down to Holtby. Thomas came to Price and once Price had the upperhand, he did not throw a punch, in fact, from what Thomas said, Price told him he would not hit him while he was down and the two even managed to find some humor in it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jaymiller's comment:

Anybody remember when the last goalie fight (not involving another goalie was ??) My memory seems to think Hextall, but surely there's been one since ??

Patty Roy fought Mike Vernon and Chris Osgood of the Wings on different occasions. There was a time when Redwing/Avalanche games were must see TV. Especially in the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Classless organization.  Your team sucks and you bring in Downie.  You are losing 7-0 and you start a line brawl including goalies including fighting guys who don't want to fight. Bush league. It looks good on them that they ended up with 2 guys hurt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Patty Roy fought Mike Vernon and Chris Osgood of the Wings on different occasions. There was a time when Redwing/Avalanche games were must see TV. Especially in the playoffs.

He was wondering when the last time a goalie fought a player. here is a couple.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylwhKzbuih8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UJ1WrQch-w

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

He was wondering when the last time a goalie fought a player. here is a couple.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylwhKzbuih8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UJ1WrQch-w

Oh Yeah, not enough coffee. ;-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Holmgren gets rid of Carter, Richards, JVR, Bobrovsky (Vezina winner) and thats just off the top of my head, no wonder the Flyers stink.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Mason's not the problem.  Emery's part of the problem, but not because he can't save the puck.  Not the goalie's fault that Giroux has zero goals, Hartnell's a no-show, Couturier isn't developing as an offensive player, and Voracek and Simmonds are on pace for less than 10 goals.  They don't have the defense or goaltending to make up for it when their investment in high-profile offensive players doesn't pay off.  Bad build, bad planning, bad performance from the core and no flexibility because of what you've already had to eat in order to deal with previous decisions.

Next time we have a rash of "remind me why there were lockouts again," remember that Snyder would have dumped guys left and right and just paid for new players if there wasn't a Cap and a system that keeps him from just sweeping Holmgren's stupidity under the rug. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Holmgren gets rid of Carter, Richards, JVR, Bobrovsky (Vezina winner) and thats just off the top of my head, no wonder the Flyers stink.

Whe your franchise is in need of a goalie, and has been for years, and you trade your best player away and come back without a goalie, things start to unravel. Then, while he diod not get the goalie they so desperatley needed, he did not get enough value in return. Brayden Schenn has been a disapointment, Simmonds has been as advertised but he does not warrant Mike Richards.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/119034

Downie gets some knuckles to the left eye right at the 1:14 mark. I have a problem with Emery because Holtby didn't do anything to warrant the beatdown and clearly didn't want to fight.

Classless move by Emery!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

Suprised that none of the caps jumped in (suspension or not). If dirtbag Emery tried this on one of the B's goalies, there would have been a race to see who could get there first. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I didn't have any issue with it.  Losing 7-0, show some life/fight.  Not like they sent out a goon as a proxy to "show some life", this was Simmonds, Brayden Schenn & Lacavalier.  If you are Emery, why not get some shots in too?

If this were the Bruins, we would be appluading it.  Be thrilled to see Rask go down the ice and take it to Holtby.  Be thrilled that despite the score, they showed some life/fight.

This board has turned into a bunch of old ladies.  Good luck at bingo tonight!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

I didn't have any issue with it.  Losing 7-0, show some life/fight.  Not like they sent out a goon as a proxy to "show some life", this was Simmonds, Brayden Schenn & Lacavalier.  If you are Emery, why not get some shots in too?

If this were the Bruins, we would be appluading it.  Be thrilled to see Rask go down the ice and take it to Holtby.  Be thrilled that despite the score, they showed some life/fight.

Uncharacteristically dumb post... not one serious Bruins fan would want to see Rask fight (next you'll want Bergeron to drop the mitts too!) That is why we have Thornton, and if he's not on the ice, McQuaid (or Campbell, Chara, Lucic, Seides etc.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I like a fight as much as the next guy and I would expect if the Bruins were getting embarassed that someone would step up and fight someone.  Fighting someone who never fights and doesn't want to fight is completely classless!!  The GM in Philly is a former goon as is the Coach.  They are trying to be the broad streets bullies without anywhere near the talent. In today's NHL and with their lack of talent that will keep them at the bottom of the standings which is fine with me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Honestly, I haven't watched the altercation.  I have no interest in it. 

Pure stupidity.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Emery's no stranger to scrapping with non-goalies, jay.  Here's one of those times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqd6tpq40Gc

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

Uncharacteristically dumb post... not one serious Bruins fan would want to see Rask fight (next you'll want Bergeron to drop the mitts too!) That is why we have Thornton, and if he's not on the ice, McQuaid (or Campbell, Chara, Lucic, Seides etc.)

Yes, let's have Thornton the goon fight all of the team's battles, proxy approach. 

What makes the Flyers response so good is that it wasn't goons, it was real players that got pizzed off and fought out of anger/frustration.  I like that part of the game because it involves real emotion, it is not a sterile goon-goon dance with some grab azz at the end. 

Like I said, sounds like a bunch of old ladies on this board now.  Especially for something that the same group would appluad if the jerseys were different. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I just watched it again and I'm with Crowls on this, and the only reason is because Emery was the backup who was pressed into action because Mason stunk.  If he had done this just because he was the one who got lit up, then it's just sour grapes.  But he really was just trying to create some solidarity with his teammates IMO.

Now, I do wish that Emery had fought a willing combatant as it would have carried more weight.  At the time he skated down the ice, there was only the original fight going on between Simmonds and Wilson.  He could have made a louder statement by just grabbing the toughest remaining Cap out there and started swinging.  But once Holtby declined, Emery was in a tough spot because he was already committed to having a battle.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Ridiculous.  Everyone loves a good fight but no one wants to see someone maul a player that has no interest in participating,

Emery's action was was dirty as anything John Scott has done.  Beat someone senseless who made it clear they didnt want to fight. Thats not tough, that makes you a worthless thug. Same thing Patrick Roy's kid did in Juniors.

All I know is if a known thug like Emery was making his way towards my goalie, any goalie, I would expect either someone on the ice to dive on him first, or someone to come off the bench and protect that goalie.  Thats a 10 game suspension that would be worthwhile and just.  I think Oates  should be dressing down his players for not defending Holtby rather than whining about the referees today.

I would never applaud that sort of classless behavior.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Thanks for all the input -- I personally like to see my team stick up for each other but would find it hard to applaud seeing my team initiate something and wind up having two of my players nearly having their faces caved in. Downie not doing well today -- Vinnie day-to-day and Holtby fortunately looking none the worse for wear.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

They showed some life all right. A struggling team now has an injured Lecalvalier and Downie while Schenn got pounded. But hey, Emery thug pounded a guy who didnt want to fight. I can see how these actions will bring some life to that underacheiving team.
    I think Ray Emery needs to concentrate more on stopping pucks and the rest of his Flyer teammates need to focus on playing better hockey.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

They showed some life all right. A struggling team now has an injured Lecalvalier and Downie while Schenn got pounded. But hey, Emery thug pounded a guy who didnt want to fight. I can see how these actions will bring some life to that underacheiving team.
    I think Ray Emery needs to concentrate more on stopping pucks and the rest of his Flyer teammates need to focus on playing better hockey.

Fair to question the intelligence and result of the action, but some of the rhetoric here is out of control.  Even Emery "thug pounded" Holtby is extreme.  Emery was the instigator in the fight and was correctly penalized for it.  Also penalized for leaving the crease, and was given a 10 and a game.

It's a fight guys, get a grip.  Time for another ovaltine for some of you, you get cranky when your blood/sugar levels get low.

Sections
Shortcuts