Untouchables

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Untouchables

So there are a lot of guys who I would like to see back but who do you see as untouchable pretty much no matter what the offer was?

For me it would be:

Bergeron - right up there with the best two way players in the league

Lucic - you just don't find guys as big and nasty who skates well for a big guy and also scores goals

Rask - very good goalie and no other options at this point

For guys like Chara, Seguin, Krejci, Boychuk, Marchand, Hamilton, Campbell and Seidenberg it would have to be a good deal but I don't think they are untouchable. 

I like Horton but it depends on the price.  I like Ference but we have 3 good young defensemen in Krug, Dougie and Bart.

Paille and McQuaid are guys that are good guys to keep if you can.

If Kelly, Peverly and Thornton or at least 2 out of 3 leave to make room for other guys I will not be disappointed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Untouchables

Bergeron,Lucic,Rask,SeguinMarchand,Chara. Except for Chara These guys are young and all winners.Chara still has gas in the tank and if the younger guys can lessen his load all the better.Having Chara around to tutor the young guys would be invaluable. Krug,Bart and to a lesser extent Hamilton i have to see them for a full season,but all seem to have what it takes.Whether they are expendable or not remains to be seen.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

In response to huntbri's comment:

So there are a lot of guys who I would like to see back but who do you see as untouchable pretty much no matter what the offer was?

For me it would be:

Bergeron - right up there with the best two way players in the league

Lucic - you just don't find guys as big and nasty who skates well for a big guy and also scores goals

Rask - very good goalie and no other options at this point

For guys like Chara, Seguin, Krejci, Boychuk, Marchand, Hamilton, Campbell and Seidenberg it would have to be a good deal but I don't think they are untouchable. 

I like Horton but it depends on the price.  I like Ference but we have 3 good young defensemen in Krug, Dougie and Bart.

Paille and McQuaid are guys that are good guys to keep if you can.

If Kelly, Peverly and Thornton or at least 2 out of 3 leave to make room for other guys I will not be disappointed.

Are keepers :  Bergeron, Krejic, Lucic, Campbell, Chara, Boychuck, McQuaid, Siendenberg, Pallie

On the bubble : Seguin ( is he the player we think he is,,,i do, at leaset for another year or two), Marchand ( is he a streaky player. He went quiet in the Hawks series), Krug ( is he really big enough to handle a full season and playoffs ?), Ferance ( no problem with him execpt what he's asking for a new salary).

Gone : Peverly ( just not scoring, in any of the series), Thorton ( time is up ), Jagr ( old and priced to high), Horton ( too much money and he's an injury liability)

That's what I see

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Chara will retire in Boston.  Bergeron will retire in Boston.  Neither of those things is in doubt.  There is no way Chiarelli trades Chara (sorry, Stanley) because no matter what you get for him, it's not equal to what he means to this team - tough finals or not.  And there is no deal out there for Bergeron where you come out ahead.  You could trade him for Crosby or Ovechkin or Stamkos, but all that would do is cost you more money for one player.  I don't think you'd win more games or, more importantly, more championships.  I used to think Toews was the one guy, but now I'm not sure.  Depends on which game of the finals you think about.

Lucic will probably spend most of his career in Boston, and probably retire in black and gold.  I say most because I can see a point where the management/coaching change enough that they don't really want to use him in a first line role, and that might mean a parting of the ways.  But that's not for a looooong time.  (Anyone think Chiarelli is going anywhere in the next 5 years??)

No one else is "untouchable", but right now, Rask is close because the Bruins would be hard pressed to upgrade in the net or even match what he means to them if he were to leave.

Are you not entertained?!?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think Bergeron, Lucic, Hamilton, Marchand, Rask and Chara are the only untouchables on the Bruins. To free up space to re-sign Horton I would explore a "Seguin trade" for a top 5 pick in this years draft and a 3rd line left wing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

hmmm ... if we move our second-best scorer for a youngster and "another" 3rd-line left winger in order to keep a very talented, but questionably-durable Horton, what would your forward lines look like?

My concern with this approach is that you will be left with the same  (or worse) problem that hampered the B's this season - balanced offensive punch. Plus, it seems we're still a right wing short.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Any untouchable list for the Bruins should have Chara on or near the top of it.

Come playoff time who else would you want out there against the best forwards in the league ?

Chara, of course. There is no other answer.

Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand and Rask are my other untouchables. The rest are in play for the right returns. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I'm mostly in agreement with Chowda, except for Chara. To me it is just about time for Chara to retire just like Lidstrom[ sp.] in Detroit. Chara still has skills, but they are deteriorating, and while his long reach and long stick are an asset, they are also a detriment in close. Every team in the league will learn from the Blackhawks to use speed and quickness to counter Chara's strength. He is not tradeable, as he does mean too much to the Bruins team, but retirement would be a nice sendoff. As Bowman stated, " speed and quickness on defense is dominant", and , right now the Bruins have three young and capable D-men available. Anyone who wants to trade Seguin, who added Selke -like defense to his skills must be the same ones who wanted to trade Kreji all during this past season[ not too smart].

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I really don't think there are any.   But I don't think you'll see much movement either.  Unlike days of yore, salary is big or bigger than talent.  Throw in the rebuilding caveat, plus the chemistry one(neither exist here), and it just comes down to change for the sake of change.  Using Bergeron for example, it's really tough to expect to get a better, cheaper player straight up.  If that does occur, it's greater than a 50% probability the new guy doesn't mesh as well, which blows the whole excercise.

When you're as young, and as successful as the Bruins are, it's prudent to only consider incremental change, even if those bigger options present themselves.  When that window of eliteness can be projected to wane, different story.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

I'm mostly in agreement with Chowda, except for Chara. To me it is just about time for Chara to retire just like Lidstrom[ sp.] in Detroit. Chara still has skills, but they are deteriorating, and while his long reach and long stick are an asset, they are also a detriment in close. Every team in the league will learn from the Blackhawks to use speed and quickness to counter Chara's strength. He is not tradeable, as he does mean too much to the Bruins team, but retirement would be a nice sendoff. As Bowman stated, " speed and quickness on defense is dominant", and , right now the Bruins have three young and capable D-men available. Anyone who wants to trade Seguin, who added Selke -like defense to his skills must be the same ones who wanted to trade Kreji all during this past season[ not too smart].

Truth is, bogie, they "exposed" Chara the same way Carolina did FIVE YEARS AGO.  You have to have a really strong player go to the wall and occupy Chara's body and then have a smaller, faster guy dart in and pick the puck out.  It was Staal on the body for Carolina.  Not  many teams can duplicate the strategy.  In fact, I think LA wouldn't have done as well going strength on strength.  I'm not worried the league has learned anything new.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to bogie6's comment:

Truth is, bogie, they "exposed" Chara the same way Carolina did FIVE YEARS AGO.  You have to have a really strong player go to the wall and occupy Chara's body and then have a smaller, faster guy dart in and pick the puck out.  It was Staal on the body for Carolina.  Not  many teams can duplicate the strategy.  In fact, I think LA wouldn't have done as well going strength on strength.  I'm not worried the league has learned anything new.

that is an expert post Book !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

A team that won a cup and was a runner-up in a 3-year period, so hard to say anyone should be let go, but to go forward, you make moves. The guys who are untouchable in my mind are Rask, Bergeron, Krecji, Lucic, Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Campbell, Marchand, Krug, McQuaid, Paille, Soderberg, Hamilton, Bartkowski. I think Peverly, Kelly, Ference, Horton, Jagr (great final season of playoffs, he showed me a lot), Caron, Pandolfo, Daugavins are not as essential, and that the B's need to find some fast skaters to replace the missing forwards. Thornton is essential to the lockerroom, and as long as Paille and Campbell are around, then he is perfect to keep. They need a high-scorer to replace Horton, that's my feeling. They need to open spots on defense to allow the 3 youngsters to get regular starter time. Ference is big to the lockeroom, but at the same time, he's blocking a spot for the young d-men, and he is not as good defensively as Seidenberg, McQuaid or Boychuck. Khoudobin is fine as Rask's backup. You don't want to go to crazy in replacing guys, you have to keep a core group based on the success of the current group. That's my 2 cents. Would love to get a Kopitar-type, or the version from a few years ago. A sniper.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Rask, DK, Bergy, 33, Lucic, Seguin, Boychuk, McQuaid. Wouldn't want to move Hamilton either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Given that Claude will be around for a while, I would say Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Lucic, Chara, and Hamilton. Seguin also.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I know Chara isn't going anywhere.  I am just saying if someone was to make an offer that knocked PC's socks off you would need to consider it.  I do agree with 50 that having Chara around to help tutor the young D is a good thing to have and as they develop they can play Z a few less minutes a game. 

The only way you would consider trading Seguin or DK or probably even Marchand, Boychuk or Seidenberg as part of a package is if you are getting a proven young talent (that is unlikely to happen) or if could get one of the top 3 picks in the draft (again unlikely to happen) so I doubt any of them are moving either.

Sections
Shortcuts