Up Yours Legg and Armstrong

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Up Yours Legg and Armstrong

Since I saw Mike Legg pull it off for the Wolverines, I've been against the move where the player picks the puck up with his stick and throws it in the net.  Some think it's cool.  Others don't care.

While THIS move is fun to watch, it's exactly why it's what I would say is "not hockey".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Up Yours Legg and Armstrong

Ok that was pretty slick - not hockey at all, but I'd wipe out completely if I even considered trying that. Fun to watch at least.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It would be so much better with a defensmen, say Boychuk, streaking across the middle with his shoulder lowered.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I hate to say it, but I don't even find it "fun to watch."  He spun around - not super fast, not super slow - with the puck on his stick.  I've done that at picnics with an egg and a wooden spoon.  Meh.

I get people not liking the Legg goal, but I think it's closer to hockey than he gets credit for being.  Everything but the carry and wrap-around used hockey skills similar to stickhandling and roofing a shot in tight - move the puck quickly side to side, get the blade under the puck so you shoot up not forward.  The reason I don't like it is it's a puck carrier with his stick at throat level.  He's fair game for getting hit, but you'd have to skate face first into his stick to hit him.  You also can't play the puck without being at risk of high-sticking Legg or some other player.  It seems to violate the spirit of several rules written to protect the players.

Are you not entertained?!?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Ok that was pretty slick - not hockey at all, but I'd wipe out completely if I even considered trying that. Fun to watch at least.

Wait.  The puck was placed on edge at center ice so it was nothing to get it on his blade.

I tried it during warmups tonight, first time the puck fell off my stick, second time I realized you have to focus on the puck, but I still got dizzy.  And that was the worst part.

Oh, and at least I know the little trick of picking up the puck onto your blade.

Red - I would say anyone who's played all their life can do this move with minimal practice.  I just noticed watching this again he used only one hand, I kept both my hands on my stick, I suspect it might be easier using only one hand.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Is Mikhail Baryshnikov on their coaching staff?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

If I was playing goal I would have skated out of the net and off the ice after he'd spun a couple times.

Act like a goof on your own, Mishka.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

If I was playing goal I would have skated out of the net and off the ice after he'd spun a couple times.

Act like a goof on your own, Mishka.

So, you would quit on the play like you quit on the Bruins last season?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I don't know Badhab - me personally, I get dizzy as  hell when I spin around. The hockey skill wouldn't be the issue - it'd be the headspins and not falling over at the end. Maybe I'll give it a shot next time I'm at the rink.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I don't know Badhab - me personally, I get dizzy as  hell when I spin around. The hockey skill wouldn't be the issue - it'd be the headspins and not falling over at the end. Maybe I'll give it a shot next time I'm at the rink.

True that, and that was an issue.  But there's a trick to that, I bet if you ask a figure skate they can tell you how.  I think the dancers keep eye contact with some stationary object so you keep turning your head.  But whatever the trick to keep from getting dizzy is, it's a knowledge thing and not a skill thing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Heh, yeah maybe I'll ask my ten-year old neice. She's really taken to figure skating and she can spin like a top... I guess if she can do it... ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

You'd think it would be pretty easy to defend for a goalie.  As soon as he starts spinning, come out, cut off the angle -- with the puck in such a delicately balanced location close to the shooter's body, he's got very little opportunity to adust the shooting angle.  If he tries to put the puck on the ice, then adjust his grip so that he's got two hands on the puck again, with the puck bouncing when it hits the ice, there's virtually no chance of getting a decent shot off, and almost zero chance of making a deke.  In the clip, the goalie simply stands there, deep in the net, and just waits for the shot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

You'd think it would be pretty easy to defend for a goalie.  As soon as he starts spinning, come out, cut off the angle -- with the puck in such a delicately balanced location close to the shooter's body, he's got very little opportunity to adust the shooting angle.  If he tries to put the puck on the ice, then adjust his grip so that he's got two hands on the puck again, with the puck bouncing when it hits the ice, there's virtually no chance of getting a decent shot off, and almost zero chance of making a deke.  In the clip, the goalie simply stands there, deep in the net, and just waits for the shot.

You know, Luongo would have stopped that one.

Sections
Shortcuts