UPDATED, INJURY OUT - Suspension pending if injured?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

UPDATED, INJURY OUT - Suspension pending if injured?

Isn't it the way it works ? If a dirty hit like Cooke's went un-punished then an unlucky one like this must go un-punished.
    Let's play Devil's advocate; Are there any rules that treat a hit at that spot of the ice differently than any other?

This hit should have gotten 3-4 games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-onQTLSRBXQ

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: Suspension pending if injured?

I don't think there should be a suspension anyways. Just an unfortunate result. Hope Max just have any major injuries.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Maybe they can ask Recchi what the refs told him?

Recchi: "Refs said there was nothing dirty. Just rode check out & unfortunately turnbuckle was part of it. Got hurt, so they had to call it"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Suspension pending if injured?:
    Maybe they can ask Recchi what the refs told him? Recchi: "Refs said there was nothing dirty. Just rode check out & unfortunately turnbuckle was part of it. Got hurt, so they had to call it"
    Posted by BsLegion

There's nothing in any rulebook that says any call has to be made "because someone got hurt."

They had to call it because they wouldnt have gotten out of the Bell toilet alive.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

I lost count years ago how many times players hit the "stanchion, turnbuckle" what ever you want to call it, because of physical play (and nothing was ever called). It was very unfortunate that the player was hurt. But chara was assessed a penalty for interference and quite likely will be held accountable for his actions.
    I'm not saying I agree with it, but because there was an interference on the play don't be surprised if there is a suspension.

--------------------------------------
    Just because you cannot admit that you are wrong, doesn't make you right

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I lost count years ago how many times players hit the "stanchion, turnbuckle" what ever you want to call it, because of physical play (and nothing was ever called). It was very unfortunate that the player was hurt. But chara was assessed a penalty for interference and quite likely will be held accountable for his actions. I'm not saying I agree with it, just don't be surprised if there is a substantial suspension. -------------------------------------- Just because you cannot admit that you are wrong, doesn't make you right
    Posted by pauly1

McKenzie sums it up pretty well (see link). 

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=357203

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In Response to Re: Suspension pending if injured? : McKenzie sums it up pretty well (see link).  http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=357203
    Posted by BsLegion
     Good stuff legion,

Thanks for the link

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

A similar thing happened against the Pens last week if I remember. One of their players got rode into the glass by the bench. Jack nearly exploded. He definitely used the word 'decapitated'. Anyone remember who was involved?

Anyway I don't rememer their being any call at the time.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

No intent= no suspension.Actually, as in so many other games, the refs are missing too many flagrant cross checks like the one on McQuaid that took him out of the play and led to a goal. Too many inconsistencies in these games from the refs game to game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gumprecht. Show Gumprecht's posts

Quit being a Bruins fan for a minute and consider what it looked like as Pacioretty was laying on the ice. It was scary. That hit was lethal and shouldn't be tolerated.

Hockey players know the configuration of the glass there makes hits potentially dangerous. Chara knows that. Hockey players have to take that into account and when they don't they should be punished.

If my son ever tried anything like that on the ice, I'd pulll him off the ice and take him out of hockey for good. Some things are more important than winning a goddamn hockey game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

There was obviously no ill intent.  That happens, it's really unfortunate and I hope Max is ok.  But these hits do happen.  I'm sure Chara will get a few games.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

This kind of hit is why I've always been against the "Suspend players for illegal hits as long as the victim is injured" idea.

In this case, I do NOT believe that Chara had the intent to injure. However, in other cases, it's very difficult to draw that line...how can you truly step inside someone's head in less obvious cases and say what was and was not intended? Sometimes it's simple: Cooke on Savard: intent. McLaren on Zednik: intent. Bertuzzi on Moore: intent. But sometimes, you walk a real fine line with players who just aren't known for these kinds of plays--guys like Chara or Philly's Randy Jones aren't known for trying to hurt opponents. Is it then fair to overly suspend them for something that is out of their control (meaning the injury sustained, not the play that caused it)? I don't think it is.

I don't think Chara deserves a suspension at all. Yes, it was illegal; there's no doubt that the puck was long gone and he was guilty of a garden-variety interference call had the horrific head-to-stantion contact not been made. Yes, Chara has to know where he is on the ice. However, throwing the book at the guy for what is more circumstance than intent doesn't seem right to me.  I can see if the NHL wants to give him a couple of games for appearances sake, as Bob Mackenzie writes. But any more seems to be overkill.

And to me, this isn't about Bruins/Habs. Had that been Hal Gill doing the same thing to Brad Marchand, I'd be saying the same thing. Fair is simply fair.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

This kind of hit is why I've always been against the "Suspend players for illegal hits as long as the victim is injured" idea. In this case, I do NOT believe that Chara had the intent to injure. However, in other cases, it's very difficult to draw that line...how can you truly step inside someone's head in less obvious cases and say what was and was not intended. Sometimes it's simple: Cooke on Chara: intent. McLaren on Zednik: intent. Bertuzzi on Moore: intent. But sometimes, you walk a real fine line with players who just aren't known for these kinds of plays--guys like Chara or Philly's Randy Jones aren't known for trying to hurt opponents. Is it then fair to overly suspend them for something that is out of their control? I don't think it is. I don't think Chara deserves a suspension at all. Yes, it was illegal; there's no doubt that the puck was long gone and he was guilty of a garden-variety interference call had the horrific head-to-stantion contact not been made. Yes, Chara has to know where he is on the ice. However, throwing the book at the guy for what is more circumstance than intent doesn't seem right to me. And to me, this isn't about Bruins/Habs. Had that been Hal Gill doing the same thing to Brad Marchand, I'd be saying the same thing. Fair is simply fair.
    Posted by Kennedy97

Well thought out post.It's sad when we need a Habs fan to come on here as the voice of reason.I'm embarrassed to be associated with some of the so called Bruins fans that frequent this forum.1 poor effort in the last 9 games and the outcry is ridiculous.Thanks Kennedy for putting the hit in perspective.If only the masses shared your open-mindedness.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Probably not a suspension which will create a firestorm in Quebec. To be honest, I hope he does get a game or two just to put this behind us....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Not sure the hit deserves a suspension. I almost felt like chara was trying to slow him down a little by extending the arm out, which in turn forced him into the glass. It sure didnt look like chara was intending to put him into the glass like he did. If there is a suspension, its no more than 2 games, I would suspect. Sounds like the habs player is going to be ok. I heard as did everyone else watching the game that he was conscious and could move his arms and legs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

how f***** up is it that a habs fan is the sensible poster. could not have said it better myself. i gotta get out of here- i'll go mental if i read another idiotic post

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

. Sounds like the habs player is going to be ok. I heard as did everyone else watching the game that he was conscious and could move his arms and legs.
    Posted by bgrif008

"OK" in a "he's not going to die" sense, I suppose. What it means for his hockey career is still anyone's guess. He may be out for the season. He may be back next week (although if reports that he has a concussion are correct, I doubt it). We'll see.

In any case, that feeds into my earlier point as to why the time an injured player is out should never be used as the measuring stick for the length of a possible suspension. If Pacioretty doesn't play again this year, shutting down Chara as well due to that play would be a grievous decision.  I can't prove it, but I wholeheartedly believe that wasn't anywhere near Chara's mindset when he made that play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

This kind of hit is why I've always been against the "Suspend players for illegal hits as long as the victim is injured" idea. In this case, I do NOT believe that Chara had the intent to injure. However, in other cases, it's very difficult to draw that line...how can you truly step inside someone's head in less obvious cases and say what was and was not intended? Sometimes it's simple: Cooke on Savard: intent. McLaren on Zednik: intent. Bertuzzi on Moore: intent. But sometimes, you walk a real fine line with players who just aren't known for these kinds of plays--guys like Chara or Philly's Randy Jones aren't known for trying to hurt opponents. Is it then fair to overly suspend them for something that is out of their control (meaning the injury sustained, not the play that caused it)? I don't think it is. I don't think Chara deserves a suspension at all. Yes, it was illegal; there's no doubt that the puck was long gone and he was guilty of a garden-variety interference call had the horrific head-to-stantion contact not been made. Yes, Chara has to know where he is on the ice. However, throwing the book at the guy for what is more circumstance than intent doesn't seem right to me.  I can see if the NHL wants to give him a couple of games for appearances sake, as Bob Mackenzie writes. But any more seems to be overkill. And to me, this isn't about Bruins/Habs. Had that been Hal Gill doing the same thing to Brad Marchand, I'd be saying the same thing. Fair is simply fair.
    Posted by Kennedy97

Always very objective. I wish I could be like you Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

The problem last night was the Bell centre, PERIOD!
    It's one of the worst arenas with spots like that on it. They have 4 spots un-protected.
    That's what the league needs to look at.
    And what are those wimpy cushions there for ? Put a freakin real protector !
    How could it have taken so long for someone to figure this out ? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Now I'm guessing it'll be 4 games.

Darren Dreger
    According to Habs, Pacioretty suffered a severe concussion and fractured 4th cervical vertebra

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TThomas30. Show TThomas30's posts

Re: UPDATED, INJURY OUT - Suspension pending if injured?

I say the glass should get 4 games for its hit to the head on Max.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Now I'm guessing it'll be 4 games. DarrenDreger Darren Dreger According to Habs, Pacioretty suffered a severe concussion and fractured 4th cervical vertebra
    Posted by BsLegion

According to the Habs ...

Darren Dreger - how does Pacioretty's concussion compare to Bergeron's, please?  A legitimate medical release, please, not just a report out of the Bell Center, before the league makes its ruling, please.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Re: UPDATED, INJURY OUT - Suspension pending if injured?

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2011/03/chara_hit_difficult_to_defend.html

I'm kind of surprised by Massarotti's take on this.

Sections
Shortcuts