U.S.A out everything Canada

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: U.S.A out everything Canada

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For all of you on Hamilton's back . which d-man stuck out the most

Harrington while was best D on Canada is and was a stay at home d-man along with Hamilton. That's the responsabilty coach Spott gave them. 

Murphy and Reilly ?  why because they made some rushes up the ice ?  They were horrible in their on end and missed on outlet passes all game long.

Were your expections high on the PP with Hamilton ? The PP could not do much as the whole unit looked horrible all tournament long (excpet 5min against the Russians). Bad decisions, bad passes .....

The U.S. dfense will probablt be the best in the tournament production-wise, no other team close.  Canada could not compete with them.

[/QUOTE]

None of them did, but for a player with Dougie's credo, he should have led by the example with which his reputation preceded him, which is that of the best defencemen in Canadian junior hockey. I guess he did lead by example if we are to critique all of canada's d-men, because as a whole , they were underwhelming. I just thought as the lynch pin of Canada's defence his play was not stellar.

[/QUOTE]

Correction OHL .  Not sure where you got he was supposed to lead the team . 

The problem here is you all had very high expectations from him.  Just like Morgan Rielly is supposed to be the next coming of Bobby Orr the way McKenzie toutes this guy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've had the (unpopular) opinion that the Bruins shouldn't have used a first round pick on a goalie for a while, but I actually want to stick up for Subban a little after this game.  The only questionable goal to my eyes was the Vesey (Go Massholes!) shot and even that was the result of some pretty weak defense in front of him which allowed Vesey to walk in and pick his spot.  The other goals were total snipes in the top corners, usually through a screen, or on a breakaway with the final goal.  They would be really tough saves to make for any goalie.  I thought Subban played a really strong tournament and was not to blame for the loss this morning.

Hamilton really doesn't have a similar excuse, in my opinion.  Shupe's nailing it here -- he was very quiet and very average in a tournament where he should have been one of the top players and a driving force for Canada.  I'm not saying he stinks, but you've got to be disappointed on some level at what a non-factor he appeared to be.

Camara seemed fine to me as a depth role player.  For a guy who was not expected to even make the team, how disappointed can you be?  I thought he held his own and looked fine.

[/QUOTE]
    This is it for me as far as Camara goes. He exceeded expectations in just making the team and in his fourth line role did his job in providing energy and physical play. Will likely be the same type of player when and if he ever makes the NHL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Harrington while was best D on Canada is and was a stay at home d-man along with Hamilton. That's the responsabilty coach Spott gave them. 

Murphy and Reilly ?  why because they made some rushes up the ice ?  They were horrible in their on end and missed on outlet passes all game long.

Were your expections high on the PP with Hamilton ? The PP could not do much as the whole unit looked horrible all tournament long (excpet 5min against the Russians). Bad decisions, bad passes .....

The U.S. dfense will probablt be the best in the tournament production-wise, no other team close.  Canada could not compete with them.

[/QUOTE]

None of them did, but for a player with Dougie's credo, he should have led by the example with which his reputation preceded him, which is that of the best defencemen in Canadian junior hockey. I guess he did lead by example if we are to critique all of canada's d-men, because as a whole , they were underwhelming. I just thought as the lynch pin of Canada's defence his play was not stellar.

[/QUOTE]

The problem here is you all had very high expectations from him.  Just like Morgan Rielly is supposed to be the next coming of Bobby Orr the way McKenzie toutes this guy.

[/QUOTE]

So you never thought that Dougie was going to be one of the leaders on this team going into this tournament ? It was his second go around,as you corrected me, OHL d-man of the year, spoke to the team before the game against the US. I think the coaches expected him to be a leader, but that is just my opinion. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So you never thought that Dougie was going to be one of the leaders on this team going into this tournament ? It was his second go around,as you corrected me, OHL d-man of the year, spoke to the team before the game against the US. I think the coaches expected him to be a leader, but that is just my opinion. 

[/QUOTE]

No.  I thought RNH was going to be the leader seeing that he played almost the whole season with the Oilers and was leading all rookies till he got hurt.  He played against men and had sucess.

Again,  let me be clear, I'm not defending Hamilton's play , not saying he was the best Dman but he was not the worst. I found he played very well against the U.S.(1st game) and Russia , shutting them down with Harrington. Today was a total loss for everyone  .

My best defender was Oullet IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've had the (unpopular) opinion that the Bruins shouldn't have used a first round pick on a goalie for a while, but I actually want to stick up for Subban a little after this game.  The only questionable goal to my eyes was the Vesey (Go Massholes!) shot and even that was the result of some pretty weak defense in front of him which allowed Vesey to walk in and pick his spot.  The other goals were total snipes in the top corners, usually through a screen, or on a breakaway with the final goal.  They would be really tough saves to make for any goalie.  I thought Subban played a really strong tournament and was not to blame for the loss this morning.

Hamilton really doesn't have a similar excuse, in my opinion.  Shupe's nailing it here -- he was very quiet and very average in a tournament where he should have been one of the top players and a driving force for Canada.  I'm not saying he stinks, but you've got to be disappointed on some level at what a non-factor he appeared to be.

Camara seemed fine to me as a depth role player.  For a guy who was not expected to even make the team, how disappointed can you be?  I thought he held his own and looked fine.

[/QUOTE]

why do the other Ds get a free pass ?  I'm not disagreeing with you and Shupe but their whole D -core was average at best.  Hamilton's duties were to be a shutdown D and that usually does not equate to points when you have to match up against the other teams best.  Only way Hamiton could show off his offensive skill would be on the PP and it just was not good as a whole.

[/QUOTE]
    if you name all the top shut down dmen in hockey they are usually at the top of the pt totals for def as well.  I will say this as my opinion only.  I expected him to be on the ice in every key moment, dominate like that muller kid did at 17 for the Swiss And be a leader.  He was invisible for me.  Some guys love watching goalies or all the fire power up front.  I love watching a def game bc there is no room for error.  I was not impressed with his game at all.  I think he should have been one of the best in the tourney.  He was far from that.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[/QUOTE]

why do the other Ds get a free pass ?  I'm not disagreeing with you and Shupe but their whole D -core was average at best.  Hamilton's duties were to be a shutdown D and that usually does not equate to points when you have to match up against the other teams best.  Only way Hamiton could show off his offensive skill would be on the PP and it just was not good as a whole.

The only reason that Hamilton was more glaring for me, was simply that my expectations were higher for him (fair or not).  Cleary, you have to be disappointed with Murphy as well (and he was undressed by Gaudreau on the 3rd goal) but there have been plenty of questions about Murphy's viability at the next level.  Hamilton, on the other hand has been touted at the best non-pro defensemen out there and somebody who is essentially ready to play in the NHL.  Many people had him penciled in on the Bruins blueline this year and he has tons of international experience.  So, I expected him to be a standout player, if not a dominant one, at the WJC.  I was disappointed.  Oullette, Harrington, Trouba, McCabe, Jones, etc. all looked better to me in this tournament.  

Maybe it was my mistake, but I was expecting more from Hamilton.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Hamilton's defensive game has progressed immensely from where it once was. High expectations of this part of his game are useless unless one has seen how he's played in the past which was erratic.

I thought his defensive zone play was a lot steadier in this tourney then let's say........last year's tourney.  What people forget is he's young and still learning. He has progressed.

His play was fine and not disappointing at all for me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

This is awesome. I tried to stay up but fell asleep around 3:30. I think it's on NHLN tonight, though.

This John Gibson is a .... Stars prospect?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hamilton's defensive game has progressed immensely from where it once was. High expectations of this part of his game are useless unless one has seen how he's played in the past which was erratic.

I thought his defensive zone play was a lot steadier in this tourney then let's say........last year's tourney.  What people forget is he's young and still learning. He has progressed.

His play was fine and not disappointing at all for me.

[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the thing is... team canada played very well up until this one game. two blowouts against teams they should blow out. and two goals allowed total in games against the US and russia. how is that not good team defense? in the games they gave up more than one(group play), there were some softies let in by subban. point being, if canada won todays game 1-0 or even 5-4, this conversation would not be taking place. everyone seems to be riding off the emotion of a bad loss- pointing fingers. it was one bad game, by EVERYONE on their squad. happens every now and again, were just not used to it being from team canada.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I can't believe that everyone is dumping on Hamilton.

Was it his fault? Didn't the whole team stink?

Weren't the first two US goals '"seeing eye" lucky goals?

And all this is Hamilton's fault?

Way to go people, you are all in mid-season form. In record time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I successfully avoided seeing the score anywhere and just finished watching the PVR. I wish I hadn't bothered...

Good luck to the US.

Oh, and Hamilton underperformed, Subban was hung out to dry, and Camara just never had many opportunities, which is understandable in a tournament where "hitting too hard" can get you a penalty.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Wheatskins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not by a long shot .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

All aboard the Excuse Train!

The US was the better team "today".

Canada played well in the other games.

The US team was hungrier.

Blah blah blah

Canada came in with serious clout, big name prospects and an NHLer and they LOST.

Save your excuses for your wives.  Team Canada got spanked by USA Hockey today.

Know why?  USA Hockey was the better team.  Not "today".  They were the better team.

No excuses, Canada.  Your defense was poor, your forwards were muted and your goalie was Swiss Cheese.

USA! USA! USA!

Now, send your star NHL forward (52 points in 62 games) back to the NHL while the USA Hockey team advances.  Maybe next year you'll bring a TEAM to play.  Tell your GM and coach to go watch "Miracle".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment: [QUOTE] I've had the (unpopular) opinion that the Bruins shouldn't have used a first round pick on a goalie for a while, but I actually want to stick up for Subban a little after this game.  The only questionable goal to my eyes was the Vesey (Go Massholes!) shot and even that was the result of some pretty weak defense in front of him which allowed Vesey to walk in and pick his spot.  The other goals were total snipes in the top corners, usually through a screen, or on a breakaway with the final goal.  They would be really tough saves to make for any goalie.  I thought Subban played a really strong tournament and was not to blame for the loss this morning.

Camara seemed fine to me as a depth role player.  For a guy who was not expected to even make the team, how disappointed can you be?  I thought he held his own and looked fine. [/QUOTE]

This is exatly the way I saw it as well. As far as Hamilton's performance, I'll answer the question posed to me about Seth Jones pretty much the same "Raw talent that has some holes and needs improvement. The Bruins and whomever gets Seth Jones should be very happy in the near future".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blah blah blah

Canada came in with serious clout, big name prospects and an NHLer and they LOST.

Know why?  USA Hockey was the better team.  Not "today".  They were the better team.

No excuses, Canada.  Your defense was poor, your forwards were muted and your goalie was Swiss Cheese.

USA! USA! USA!

Now, send your star NHL forward (52 points in 62 games) back to the NHL while the USA Hockey team advances.  Maybe next year you'll bring a TEAM to play.  Tell your GM and coach to go watch "Miracle".

[/QUOTE]

I don't know Nas, Canada beat the mighty USA in the round robin, but the USA beat Canada today.And deservedly so, good luck for the gold.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Wheatskins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who's "dumping on" Hamilton??  I can't be disappointed that the guy I've been led to believe is ready to play for the B's didn't stand out in any way in a tournament of teenagers?

Sorry, just being honest here.  I'm gathering that the people who watch a lot of Hamilton were not at all surprised by his mediocrity in this tournament.  I think that makes me feel even worse about it.

Was my expectation that he would stand out in this tournament all based on hype?  

Is he not a standout player in the best non-professional league in the world?  

Is it naive to hope that a top ten first round pick who vied for the MVP of the OHL last year might stand out in the WJC?

I'm only being hard on him now because I have been led to believe that he is a very special talent.  And for the record, I still believe that.  I just wasn't encouraged by his performance in the WJC.  The first sign of greatness is standing out among your peers when it counts.  Fair?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blah blah blah

USA! USA! USA!

[/QUOTE]

are you aware this was canada's only loss in the tourney so far? they brought a TEAM that beat the same US squad a couple days ago. so according to your logic, the US team lost to a bunch of guys that couldn't even call themselves a "team" four days ago? what did that make team USA at the time...a "not quite beer league team wearing figure skates"? only to miraculously become a "team" four days later, to defeat the team that was once a team, but no longer? NAS, you are the biggest doosh on the planet- we argue about a lot of things in this forum, but this is something we all tend to agree on.  what's hilarious is, if team USA lost this morning, they would have gone 3-3 in this tournament, and you would have been telling us how they were an embarrassment to their country. what a deck. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Am reading that Canada didn't have any jump. Maybe they're not used to playing at 3 AM (Eastern Time).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

This John Gibson is a .... Stars prospect?

Anaheim Ducks

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I successfully avoided seeing the score anywhere and just finished watching the PVR. I wish I hadn't bothered...

Good luck to the US.

Oh, and Hamilton underperformed, Subban was hung out to dry, and Camara just never had many opportunities, which is understandable in a tournament where "hitting too hard" can get you a penalty.

[/QUOTE]

Not only a penalty, it can get you tossed apparently...

That kid stayed on the ground because he's never been hit that hard probably...

And I couldn't believe it when I saw my phone this morning...

Canada was so stacked, they had an NHL player playing for them...

Very surprising result...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In response to Klaas's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Am reading that Canada didn't have any jump. Maybe they're not used to playing at 3 AM (Eastern Time).

[/QUOTE]

they're as used to it as the US team was. equal playing field there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

In response to adkbeesfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Klaas's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

they're as used to it as the US team was. equal playing field there.

[/QUOTE]
    Equal playing field true. But just like in horse racing, weird things like a muddy track can balance the field whereby longshots win more than usual.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Fletcher1, Hamilton has already stood out.

For me he doesn't have to stand out in every tournament or every playoff. I want him to stand out for the Bruins. Period.

The ones to blame on the Canadian side are the forwards. They did absolutely nothing - offensively and defensively. They were spectators with the best view in the house.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the US team is now a "longshot"? you do realize a lot of those playing in the tournament(from rus/fin/swe/cze/slo)play in north america right? i'm confused as to what your point is. the canadians were tired? but not so tired when the defeated the US a few days ago? they had the extra day off to rest yesterday. sorry to nit-pick, but it makes no sense. the reason they lost is they were outplayed for 60 minutes.

Sections
Shortcuts