USA!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: USA!!!

In Response to Re: USA!!!:
    In Response to Re: USA!!! : Shupe, are you going to be insulted or have hurt feelings if the people in Boston, Massachusetts, USA fill the arena and chant "USA USA USA" as their team put a beating on a team from Canada? That's my point.  I'm sure you're not going to have Geico Caveman sourpuss if they rowdy group of mostly Americans cheers for the team that is in their country in a game against a team from another country!  It's not the Olympics, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an American team vs. a Canadian team.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Nope, my feelings wouldnt be hurt at all.  I see Canadian Flags in Boston along with Canuck Jerseys. 
    I think it sounds stupid but when in rome.  If I were there and weren`t chanting USA does that make me less of a Boston fan.  If Cam or Orr didnt cheer USA does that make them less of a legend. 
    The fans pay the bucks to be at the rink and can chant whatever they want. 

I know you don`t like baseball references but when the Blue Jays won the world series it was totally USA vs Canada.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: USA!!! :  I know you don`t like baseball references but when the Blue Jays won the world series it was totally USA vs Canada.
    Posted by shuperman

And I remember watching the games.  I remember Joe Carter's jack.

I don't recall feeling it was USA vs. Canada, however.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

As a Lifetime Bruins fan in Ontario I resent your comment NAS!
    Just because I live in another city/province/COUNTRY does NOT decide WHO I cheer for. If that were the case I would be a LEAF fan!

The fans/citizens of the USA, have a complex that must allow them to be in power. Thinking that they are the superior ones. Chanting USA in a National Hockey League game, let only, Stanley Cup Finals game makes NO SENSE. All players are from various countries and some of them may feel disrespected when the fans chant USA. Have you considered that?

Do my comments offend you? I'm just trying to give it another perspective. Canada and United States of America are not battling each other. Would there be these chants if 2 US based teams play? Or heaven forbid 2 Canadian Teams?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

In Response to Re: USA!!! : If there is a Bruins fan in Ontario who has never lived in or around Boston, who has never felt the heartbeat of the city and still chooses to cheer for a team in another country, he can either put up with the local fans who take pride in their city, state and country, or he can cheer for closest team to him. Them's the breaks, my friend. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

So all fans have to cheer for closest team.

Nas, I have to say that is about the stupidest thing you ever said. I am pretty sure you hate fickle or band wagon fans, but to suggest your allegiance to a team because of your locality, go away with ya.

Grew up 4.5 hours from TO and 3.5 from MON, chose BOS because of idol worshipping Orr who was CDN as were all three teams probably 100% CDN at the time. 25 years later a team comes to Ott.  So I should have cheered for the habnots, then dropped my allegiance and shifted to the Sens.  Now I live in Newfoundland so I can cheer for Bos as they are I believe the closest team, but the Manitoba Moose are coming here, so do I have to switch to their parent club,  Just too confusing.

Chanting USA at an NHL game or CANADA is just plain dense and has absolutely no respect for the players nor any bearing on the game.  Fans can do as they please within the law, they paid for it, but then they are not really fans of the game, just opportunists trying to promote something different than what they are supposed to be supporting.

Hearing this chanting at an NHL game, is just stupid and does not belong in the game anymore than the fingers in face or the hand wiping. I will continue to watch always knowing there are players and fans that are outside of the loop, sometimes I'll laugh and othertimes irritated, so be it.

I will chant and I'll roar for the Bruins til the day I die, regardless of what goes on around me, or where I live.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

NAS. My brother is a DIEHARD Hab's fan, and he's so sick of the Canucks fans and the media, he's doing the one thing he swore he would never do - cheering for the Bruins.

It' kind of surreal actually.

There are tonnes of fans who feel just like him in the Great White North (and I have a sister who is a Canucks fan - the next family get together i going to be interesting to say the least).

Oh and NAS, I think the Jays series got a bit of a Canada vs. US vibe because at one of the games the Marine colour guard accidentally flew the Canadian flag upside down. The media made a huge deal out of that and a bunch of people got their knickers in a twist.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

This is one of the best threads in the last three days.  What else can I say?  It is like arguing what is the most pivotal game in a seven game series.  Book had the best post! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Save the USA chants for the Olympics and World Cup.

I was raised in Canada after coming here as a toddler, and a lifelong Bruin fan.

I, personally, would not feel good if the countdown to a Cup victory is the final minutes and I hear "USA, USA, USA". That would be a turn off for me. So much so that I would cancel my plans for showing up at the parade.

I would feel the same way if the Canuck fans pulled a similar stunt.

That's not what this competition is about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Here's why the whole "You Ess Eh!" chant doesn't bother me: players are mercenaries.  It's the French foreign legion - guys might be from Morroco and Benin, Brazil and Thailand, but they get paid to fight for France (someone has to!).  Bruin players have one job - bring the freaking cup to BOSTON.  Not "win it and tour it around Manitoba heritage sites" or "win it and get picture taken with it in front of the 40foot perogy."  They represent Boston.  You could take this even farther: where the players are from is about the back of the jersey; where they play home games is about the front.

Trivial in a way, but given that a "Canuck" is a Canadian, the Canada-USA thing works almost as well as when it's the Bruins v the Canadiens (always remember - it's an 'e' there).

And as a final thought...I don't remember any of this "bring the Cup to Canada" garbage before the league let Winnipeg and Quebec move south in the middle of an expansion that added multiple teams in the USA and an economic situation where there were no controls on salary when there was a huge imbalance in the Can. and US dollar.  I doubt this is even an issue in ten years when the 'yotes are in Hamilton and some other struggling sunbelt team or an expansion team lands in Quebec.  That would get the ratio to 1:3 Can:USA teams.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think there's a little bit of rooting for the Canadian team up here in Toronto, but for the most part, the guys in my office are either Bruins fans or don't like the Canucks at all and root against them no matter whom they're playing.  

Personally, I was never a hockey fan when I lived in Boston but there must be something in the water up here (maybe it's just lots of ice) because suddenly I'm watching Hockey Night in Canada all the time . . . and cheering for the Bruins, of course.  

But please, stay away from that USA chant . . . 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think it is a very big deal either way, and I actually understand NAS's point on some level.  I just know that for me personally, I cringe when I hear the chant, and I am born and raised in Massachusetts and root for all the Boston teams.

I think it makes the fans look kind of stupid, and I would never chant 'USA' at an NHL game, although I don't find it upsetting or hurtful when it happens.  Save it for an international competition, IMO.

To me it is like the "Yankees S**k" chant at a Patriots game the year after the Yankees win the world series.  It just doesn't make sense.  Boston fans are more clever than that.

I think all chants for the remainder of this series should be focused squarely on that headcase in the Vancouver net.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

What a dumb thread.

There are more Bruins fans in Canada than Vancouver Canucks fans, than Flames, Oilers and Senators fans - and maybe more than all those teams put together.

Those teams appeal where they live and no where else - The Bruins have fans everywhere. That's what 80 years in the business gets you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to USA!!!:
    It seems like all of Canada is behind the Canucks.  It's clear that the media up there is.  Everything I keep reading is that most fans of the few other Canadian teams are pulling for the first Canadian victory since 1993.  Can we now say that it's country vs. country?  There are a lot of Canadians on the Bruins, yet their countrymen are rooting (and writing and speaking) against them.  The Canadian fans don't care that Bergeron and Lucic are from Canada.  They care that the Canucks play in Canada.  I hope the USA chants ring out at Game 6.   I'd love it if they were to ring out at Game 5!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Not true NAS.  Many fans here in TO, at least, can't stand the Canucks.  In fact there are many posts  from Canadian fans having a hard time cheering for this team because of the dives, embelishing (sic), whining, dirty plays etc.  This group of players have no class.  I liked the Sedins, but not what I've seen of them in this series.  At least Mats Sundin always played with class and didn't cry like these two guys.

I thought Vancouver was a much more disciplined team, but from what I've seen (and I'm not really cheering for any team) they are as undisciplined as they come.  I have a real hate  on for Burrows, Kesler and Laperierre (sic) who taunt and try to goat players into penalties; but run away when challenged.

As a fan of the game, I've been disappointed in this finals from the perspective of showcasing the sport.  I think Vancouver has caused most of it, but the Bruins aren't above it all either.  This has not been hockey at it's best; however I have really enjoyed Tim Thomas and Krecji's play in particular.

I'm hoping the teams stick to playing hockey like men and let the best team win.  I'm tired of the shananigans.  I've actually stop watching most of the last two games.

Good luck to your team.........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from samsonov. Show samsonov's posts

if someone already flaged this than I apologise but!  The Bruins have 15 Canadians in there lineup tonight!  Stay Classy!
    Please see American Vs Canadian Post!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Clearly all of Canada is cheering for Vancouver... but I wouldn't say all of the USA is for Boston (being in NJ, I am fairly certain that few in the NY/NJ/Phila area care for them... although I have snagged a few co-workers!)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hendy77. Show hendy77's posts

No...all of Canada is not voting for the 'Nucks.

Some have switched from the Leafers and the Habs...but they have always been Bruin haters.

SEVERAL people here are voting for the B's.

My basement is currently a B's shrine.

2 more!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

I think there is waaay too much thought being put into this chant. Boston is in USA, Vancouver is in America's hat, hence the USA chant. Nothing more nothing less.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

Bruins from Canada are welcome here. Many have made a comfortable life for themselves, and are still active in the community. The organization has always been a family. They are continuing a tradition of emigration to the northeast, where Canadian-Americans have enriched our culture. Hard- working people.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Just want to say, "NO WAY" to the OP's question.

I love Canadia.  Awesome people, babes with unbelievable racks, great beer (Molson Bradour anyone?), and, c'mon... BRYAN ADAMS!!!!!!!!

Ok, that last one was to rankle a few (Tito!).

If my wife'll join me me one day I'm becoming a citizen of Canadia.  Btw: long live Big Wreck and Thornley.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: USA!!! : So all fans have to cheer for closest team. Nas, I have to say that is about the stupidest thing you ever said.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

Feel free to pay attention.  You wrote that entire blah blah blah based on your inability to read.

I said nothing of the sort.

Even if it were, it wouldn't be the stupidest thing I've said.  You must have missed the one that said, "Great point, Book."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Oh and NAS, I think the Jays series got a bit of a Canada vs. US vibe because at one of the games the Marine colour guard accidentally flew the Canadian flag upside down. The media made a huge deal out of that and a bunch of people got their knickers in a twist.
    Posted by red75

Down here it didn't.  It was just another World Series.  After the second one, I don't recall anyone saying, "We have to bring the WS Victory Parade back to the USA.  It's been two years!"

Nobody that I knew cared.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

I like the "Nath-an, Hor-ton" chant.  That would unify the Bruins and their fans in the building more than anything else.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to USA!!! : Not true NAS.  Many fans here in TO, at least, can't stand the Canucks.  In fact there are many posts  from Canadian fans having a hard time cheering for this team because of the dives, embelishing (sic), whining, dirty plays etc.  This group of players have no class.  I liked the Sedins, but not what I've seen of them in this series.  At least Mats Sundin always played with class and didn't cry like these two guys. I thought Vancouver was a much more disciplined team, but from what I've seen (and I'm not really cheering for any team) they are as undisciplined as they come.  I have a real hate  on for Burrows, Kesler and Laperierre (sic) who taunt and try to goat players into penalties; but run away when challenged. As a fan of the game, I've been disappointed in this finals from the perspective of showcasing the sport.  I think Vancouver has caused most of it, but the Bruins aren't above it all either.  This has not been hockey at it's best; however I have really enjoyed Tim Thomas and Krecji's play in particular. I'm hoping the teams stick to playing hockey like men and let the best team win.  I'm tired of the shananigans.  I've actually stop watching most of the last two games. Good luck to your team.........
    Posted by LoveRealHockey

Very insighful .  Thanks LRH.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

The fans can chant whatever they want, but I still believe national chants are reserved for true international competition. I think people get so excited that they don't know what to do or say...no big deal, don't make something out of nothing. That is the job of the press corps.

Sections
Shortcuts