Use Rask as another bait?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogmonsta. Show dogmonsta's posts

Re: Use Rask as another bait?

Use the toronto pick for a goalie and trade rask for some help. Thomas is good for two years...Rask had his shot...I want a cup NOW! Not in 3 years when he finally "gets it" go get a couple of vets with Rask/Wheeler and Bs #1...go talk to St.Louis..Columbus...Calgary...this team needs an infusion of something and we have a young nucleus with a stud center that needs a year or two to take over. Go get Jack Johnson, or iginlia...rick Nash...and dont tell me a Rask and a #1 wont do it...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Use Rask as another bait?:
    [QUOTE]Umm, I am well aware of the contract situations. It's why Chiarelli is in this position to begin with. Chia could also deal a Ference. Ference could go now or Ryder's deal expires at the end of the year, clearing full contract space for a Campbell contract. That's more than enough to offset Campbell's contract.  Not to mention, the 7.1 million cap hit isn't on Boston's books the rest of 2011. The issue would be moving forward into next year. Do fans want to win a Cup or what? I guess we disagree on who would help and how close Boston is.  This team isn't that close. They are teetering on having a legit chance with the goal tending and defense. TB, Philly, Montreal, Pitt, etc, would all give Boston a tough time in the East.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I think that moving Wheeler/Ference/Rask/Stuart+ is too much turnover for this team. If we are moving that many guys we allready lost before the playoffs begun.

This team needs a true #2 defenseman to play with Big Z. Someone like Seabrook a tough two way player capable of logging many minutes. If not elite, close to it.

Either a speedy scorer somebody Kesselike. I think Tanguay may be a good fit. OR another big grinding tough player to put on the Bergeron-Marchand line.

An elite center would be nice I dont think its the teams true need though. Adding those 2 players with minimum subtraction from the current roster will help improve the team greatly. However, i think that alot of the mistakes in the DET games will only be fixed through improved coaching and player experience. Thats  what this team needs as much as anything else.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Ya, I think rask is off limits. Goaltending wins you games. Its actually the most important position in hockey....You dont win the cup without stellar goaltending.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe the last 30 years have made me doubt that it's easy to draft, develop, or sign a top flight goaltender, but I think you're crazy if you think it will be as easy as just going out and finding someone in the next three years.  The Leafs drafted Rask in 2005 - 5 1/2 seasons ago! - as the best goalie not playing in the NHL, and he's still not a full-fledged starter.  Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be a big Rask defender, but he's not a full-fledged starter because his #1 job was lost this year due to no fault of his own.  He only came off the bench last year to take over the starting job, lead the league (the NHL) in GAA and save % and carry the team into the playoffs and past Buffalo before he ran out of gas.  At a ridiculously young age.

So this year he gets one start and all of a sudden he's not the starter anymore.  This after the team desperately trying to shed TT and his contract.  Goalies like Fleurey were stinking the place out night after night but kept their starting jobs and worked out their early-season kinks. Rask never had the opportunity to keep his job and now he's a mess.  (although one stinker goal against Det causes all kinds of overreaction) I contend if TT had been moved, Rask would have been the beneficiary of the B's early-season tight play, he'd be a solid #1 in this league and would not be hearing any of the second-guessing he's been hearing today.

Beyond that, goaltending has ALWAYS been a case of development. Young goalies have come into the league with a splash, commonly been caught up to by the NHL, and had to adjust.  Goalies always mature late, thats just part of the process. Rask might burn out; he might not.  They are so hard to coach and predict.

Again, if you have a huge return for a find like Rask I suppose you do it to improve your team, but the haul better be good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Campbell at 7.1Mil would bring the Bruins to 14Mil for two defenseman yikes no as the Bruins would have to jettison one maybe two players off the roster to fit Brian under the cap next season not "heck no" hell no!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]Campbell at 7.1Mil would bring the Bruins to 14Mil for two defenseman yikes no as the Bruins would have to jettison one maybe two players off the roster to fit Brian under the cap next season not "heck no" hell no!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Which brings us back to God No!..

What are you a goth or something San. All this H E double hockey sticks talk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]Umm, I am well aware of the contract situations. It's why Chiarelli is in this position to begin with. Chia could also deal a Ference. Ference could go now or Ryder's deal expires at the end of the year, clearing full contract space for a Campbell contract. That's more than enough to offset Campbell's contract.  Not to mention, the 7.1 million cap hit isn't on Boston's books the rest of 2011. The issue would be moving forward into next year. Do fans want to win a Cup or what? I guess we disagree on who would help and how close Boston is.  This team isn't that close. They are teetering on having a legit chance with the goal tending and defense. TB, Philly, Montreal, Pitt, etc, would all give Boston a tough time in the East.

Playoffs = everyone gives you a tough time.  That's the reality of 6 of 8 first round series every year.

The way you've taken my earlier post was never in doubt - that is, people will want Rask.  My point was addressing your earlier claim that the Bruins can develop/acquire another goalie in three years, so what's the big deal of dealing Rask. 

I'll add that if you think this team needs to make one or two major moves to be a contender, they probably shouldn't make any moves let alone moves that will leave them vulnerable for the next few years.  The risk factor goes way up the closer to the top of your talent pool you go with your trade targets, and the high end guy who might be the perfect fit is rarely available.  I know, I know - you want to win now.  But I'm not convinced a huge top of the roster move really makes them better.  Campbell was playing better hockey in Buffalo when the Sharks acquired him and he bombed there.  Is Sharp a difference-maker or a great complimentary scorer?  I have my doubts.

I'll also point out that to make this work, you're weakening your depth, making it that much harder for the team to absorb an injury or two - and inevitably, there will be injuries. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Use Rask as another bait?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Use Rask as another bait? : Which brings us back to God No!.. What are you a goth or something San. Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

San Diego is too sunny to where dark clothes and makeup Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]I would absolutely put his name out there to see what you can get in return. I'd be stunned if this wasn't already done.  Then again, it's Chiarelli. You can always secure another starting NHL goalie.   To some degree, Julien's system, or really, any coach who institutes a defensive minded style, creates the foundation for good goaltending. And that's not take anything away from either Thomas or Rask. But, say in 3 years, Thomas is done, who is to say Boston can't sign a legit #1 goalie FA or have one drafted and developed by then? The way Thomas keeps himself in such good shape, I don't see him falling off the cliff here. He almost appears to be improving as his career moves forward.  Rare, but not an unheard of thing. Hasek was like this, too. And no, I am not syaing Thomas is Hasek. I am one of those people that thinks the goaltending we see nowadays is so good, you can find a legit starter anywhere in this league. The differentiator is team defense and coaching. When Niemi wins a Cup or Michael Leighton takes his team to a cup, or before that Marc Andre-Fleury (overrated), the NHL has morphed into a different face in terms of how the goaltending should be viewed. Generally, speaking, the goaltending is so impressive overall, compared to 20 years ago, there is a larger pool to pull from in this area. This does not include the goalies who are top 5 every year in this league. Those are the uber-elite.
    How can you say Fleury is overrated? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Use Rask as another bait? : Playoffs = everyone gives you a tough time.  That's the reality of 6 of 8 first round series every year. The way you've taken my earlier post was never in doubt - that is, people will want Rask.  My point was addressing your earlier claim that the Bruins can develop/acquire another goalie in three years, so what's the big deal of dealing Rask.  I'll add that if you think this team needs to make one or two major moves to be a contender, they probably shouldn't make any moves let alone moves that will leave them vulnerable for the next few years.  The risk factor goes way up the closer to the top of your talent pool you go with your trade targets, and the high end guy who might be the perfect fit is rarely available.  I know, I know - you want to win now.  But I'm not convinced a huge top of the roster move really makes them better.  Campbell was playing better hockey in Buffalo when the Sharks acquired him and he bombed there.  Is Sharp a difference-maker or a great complimentary scorer?  I have my doubts. I'll also point out that to make this work, you're weakening your depth, making it that much harder for the team to absorb an injury or two - and inevitably, there will be injuries. 
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I think you sound like a typical old school Sinden fan. No offense, but you do.  Right out of the script.

That's the company line and it's a guaranteed non Cup appearance. Same rhetoric where some fans believe what the GM has here is about as good as it gets because the players wear the spoked B.

I don't want to to drop the Blackhawks reference in here again and show what they did which put them over the top, but I'd be happy to do show that again if need be.

Or, Philly, for example, who had goaltending below Boston's level, but had more firepower over Boston.

Each of those organizations have been more aggressive in building their teams.

Next, you need to look at the expectation from production for the players you (Chia) brought in here and what that production is.

Ryder and Horton are intended to be scoring wingers 1 and 2 and people like Lucic snd Marchand are outperforming them. That's a problem.

Ok, so Chia said Ryder and Horton were 25 goal scorers. Where is it?

I don't know how any fan could spin this as not being a problem. Unless these two wingers go in a tear and end up nearing 25-30 goals, this team is lacking on the power play and in games against quality competition.

As for the power play, Seidenberg is not an ideal first unit foil to Chara at the point.  Wideman was quite good at this, actually, and they haven't had anyone be consistent in this role.  Not Seidenberg's fault. He's a good player. He's just not a GREAT PP point man on the first unit.

In other words, these holes aren't big, they just need to be filled.

It's disturbing that some Bruins fans will apparently allow the Bruins ownership (and front office) to diddle around for years and years with a different spin every year as to why they are close to winning.

When, in reality, they never really act towards wanting to win/fail to execute a plan to do so. If it's not one, it's the other.

Chiarelli has a slew of chips to use, so if he blows this or doesn't improve the team in the next 2 weeks, he's failed.

And he'll look even worse if this team does not at least make a Conf Finals, if not a Cup Finals.

So, it could very well be the normal "we'll get em next year" schpiel from Chia in May and then the inevtiable Jacobs damage annual damage control radio interview from Buffalo on WEEI.

With all these chips to use, there is no way Chia would be weakenign any depth.  We are talking about 4th line players or younger players who may have upside on the table.

Wheeler, Stuart, Hamill, maybe Rask, TWO 1st rd picks? 

How are these not attractive chips and what is weakened?  Paille can be a 4th line guy. Wheeler isn't anything more than that here.

McQuaid has played well in place of Stuart although I'd rather have Stuart.

Depth isn't a concern.   Impact on the PP and consistency in scoring is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Use Rask as another bait? : How can you say Fleury is overrated? 
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

His team is loaded.  That's why.  Inconsistent. And overrated. Just like Luongo in Vancouver.  Overrated.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]As I posted in another thread, what about Rask for Halak (in some sort of combo deal including a  defensemen)? I now it would tie up a fair amount in cap space for goaltending but we could always revisit the "trade Timmy" threads next season. Halak has proven winning playoff experience and is still young, in fact I think he is better than Rask.
    Posted by bridgemanusa[/QUOTE]

Rask and Thomas are freind and support each other and have the same agent which prevents dressing room issues.  How do you think Halak and his agent are going to deal with Halak playing every once in a while?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Use Rask as another bait? : His team is loaded.  That's why.  Inconsistent. And overrated. Just like Luongo in Vancouver.  Overrated.
    Difference between him and Luongo... A cup. Fleury performed in the playoffs and wins. Luongo doesn't. I would take Fleury over Luongo any day of the week. I don't care what my goalie does in the regular season as long as he shows up in the playoffs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

True, except I think the path to the Cup is also easier out of the East than it is the West.

No excuses for Luongo in that regard, but it's true.  

At the end of it, I'd take Thomas over both and not blink.  Both have played on loaded teams the last few years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

if Rask could get us Duschesne I'd say yes ...no matter the future..the FUTURE is NOW ...we need to win the Cup this year and the next 2 years ....in 2 or 3 years from now we'll make a trade or pick a goalie this year in the 1st round ...we'll cross the river once we get to the bridge but for now we need an impact player that will contribute for this year's playoffs ....my prediction will make Hiistory

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Use Rask as another bait? : Difference between him and Luongo... A cup. Fleury performed in the playoffs and wins. Luongo doesn't. I would take Fleury over Luongo any day of the week. I don't care what my goalie does in the regular season as long as he shows up in the playoffs.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]
    Luongo performed in the Olympics so we've got to give him that.I expect him to play well in this years play-offs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Use Rask as another bait? : Luongo performed in the Olympics so we've got to give him that.I expect him to play well in this years play-offs.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    He did and then what happened last year? I just don't trust Luongo come playoff time. He hasn't proved that he can keep his team in games during the playoffs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Use Rask as another bait? : I think that moving Wheeler/Ference/Rask/Stuart+ is too much turnover for this team. If we are moving that many guys we allready lost before the playoffs begun. This team needs a true #2 defenseman to play with Big Z. Someone like Seabrook a tough two way player capable of logging many minutes. If not elite, close to it. Either a speedy scorer somebody Kesselike. I think Tanguay may be a good fit. OR another big grinding tough player to put on the Bergeron-Marchand line. An elite center would be nice I dont think its the teams true need though. Adding those 2 players with minimum subtraction from the current roster will help improve the team greatly. However, i think that alot of the mistakes in the DET games will only be fixed through improved coaching and player experience. Thats  what this team needs as much as anything else.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

This is the closest I've heard to what will happen.  The Bruins are quietly negotiating with Ottawa. The deal will include Spezza and Karlson. They are still negotiating on what needs to be going the other way !

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Use Rask as another bait? : This is the closest I've heard to what will happen.  The Bruins are quietly negotiating with Ottawa. The deal will include Spezza and Karlson. They are still negotiating on what needs to be going the other way !
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni[/QUOTE]

As stated before, if Spezza ends up in Boston, Dale Arnold will masturbate himself into a frenzy.

Depends on the cost.

My concern here is, Ottawa is obviously inside the division which would make one think the price will be high.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Use Rask as another bait? : As stated before, if Spezza ends up in Boston, Dale Arnold will masturbate himself into a frenzy. Depends on the cost. My concern here is, Ottawa is obviously inside the division which would make one think the price will be high.

Ottawa inside the division means nothing for this trade! Boston is trading for
     'NOW' and Ottawa is trading for the future (3 to 5 years down ther road).

Spezza wants out. Ottawa wants to dump salaries. Chiarelli hwas close ties to Ottawa. If anyone can do it...PC can !

Offer top picks and top prospects and Ottawa's plans to rebuild quickly will
     be more important than holding on to an expensive albeit talented asset !