Vancouver finally admits they cannot win with Luongo... turn to Boston College goalie!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Re: Vancouver finally admits they cannot win with Luongo... turn to Boston College goalie!!!

In Response to Re: Vancouver finally admits they cannot win with Luongo... turn to Boston College goalie!!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vancouver finally admits they cannot win with Luongo... turn to Boston College goalie!!! : The Bruins were down 0-2 to the Habs last year and the fans/media were calling for CJ's head. What did he do as a result? He stuck with what got him there. He didn't change a thing. Like I said earlier, AV made Luongo the scapegoat for a team who's PP is running at a -2 so far. There's not a goalie in the world who could've won last night for them.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

With the way CS has been playing all year, AV inserting him into the starting spot for Gm 3 hardly screams "scapegoat".  When you're down 0-2, obviously you have to do something to try to change the momentum.  Anyone watching the games can see that it wasn't RL that got them to 0-2.  It's a message to the team, more than anything else, without risking a drop-off in net.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Vancouver finally admits they cannot win with Luongo... turn to Boston College goalie!!!

That, and he didn't really have any other changes he could make anymore.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Vancouver finally admits they cannot win with Luongo... turn to Boston College goalie!!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vancouver finally admits they cannot win with Luongo... turn to Boston College goalie!!! : With the way CS has been playing all year, AV inserting him into the starting spot for Gm 3 hardly screams "scapegoat".  When you're down 0-2, obviously you have to do something to try to change the momentum.  Anyone watching the games can see that it wasn't RL that got them to 0-2.  It's a message to the team, more than anything else, without risking a drop-off in net.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Thats the way I see it too.  As far as scapegoating, if the Canucks lose, Gillis will be in charge of that department, and I'd be surprised if the coach wasn't dumped within a day or 2.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vancouver finally admits they cannot win with Luongo... turn to Boston College goalie!!! : With the way CS has been playing all year, AV inserting him into the starting spot for Gm 3 hardly screams "scapegoat".  When you're down 0-2, obviously you have to do something to try to change the momentum.  Anyone watching the games can see that it wasn't RL that got them to 0-2.  It's a message to the team, more than anything else, without risking a drop-off in net.
    Well I guess we see things differently. Good luck to Luongo ever getting his confidence back in Van and in getting anyone to take that albatross of a contract you've got your "backup" signed to. I suppose AV doesn't care about either of these things since he won't/shouldn't be coaching in Van next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

That's just the point though.  If CS has been playing so well (and I think he has), then why not declare him #1 before the playoffs, instead of doing it after losing two games that had practically nothing to do with the goaltender.  Do you think any other team would have benched their starting goalie after those two games?  I don't.

If you want to argue that CS is better right now, I would agree.  But I also thought that a month ago.  Now you have a greenhorn goalie trying to pull you out of a ditch and a Ferrari sitting in the driveway with a bad tank of gas.  And all three games have been decided by issues other than goaltending, IMO.

It might work, because Schneider looks really sharp, but I say it's a strange coaching move for two games into the playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

I just have to say that maybe if Luongo came out of his crease abit he would have saved all those goals he let in. Love how he has to be the biggest choker in net in this league. Besides Fluery that is, lol.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vancouver finally admits they cannot win with Luongo... turn to Boston College goalie!!! : That's just the point though.  If CS has been playing so well (and I think he has), then why not declare him #1 before the playoffs, instead of doing it after losing two games that had practically nothing to do with the goaltender.  Do you think any other team would have benched their starting goalie after those two games?  I don't. If you want to argue that CS is better right now, I would agree.  But I also thought that a month ago.  Now you have a greenhorn goalie trying to pull you out of a ditch and a Ferrari sitting in the driveway with a bad tank of gas.  And all three games have been decided by issues other than goaltending, IMO. It might work, because Schneider looks really sharp, but I say it's a strange coaching move for two games into the playoffs.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Luongo was playing well coming into the playoffs, as was Schneider.  To declare CS the starter would mean that you're going against "what got you there" (by there, meaning the #1 seed).  So why change that?

Luongo was the starter for the regular season; Schneider played in 33 games.  Would it have made sense last week to have declared Cory as the starter?  Not really.  Was Luongo the reason why the Canucks lost the first two games?  Not really.  Was Schneider the reason why they lost Game 3? Not really. 

So, back to my original point.  AV's objective was to shake up the team a bit, without a drop-off in net, which is why he put Schneider in for Gm 3.  What he does for Gm 4 is anyone's guess.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I think if Vigneault starts Schneider in game 4, Leaky Lu's ship has sailed in Van. With goaltending not being the problem for the Nucks, and the Goalie swap not bringing the desired result, who AV starts tells me thats his guy with the series on the line and going forward.I would think a coach would start his no #1 with the teams season hanging in the balance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I don't agree.  Goaltending is not the issue with the Canucks right now.  It's special teams play, and the fact that they've run into a goaltender playing lights out, and a team with an airtight defensive system. As much as you guys love to see Luongo swinging in the wind, at this moment, there are other things which the team need to be concerned about.

Regardless of contracts and salaries, which don't mean squat in the playoffs, the Canucks have confidence in both their goalies.  I don't think both will be here next year, and it's still a question mark as to who stays, and who goes, but that's a question for July, not now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]I don't agree.  Goaltending is not the issue with the Canucks right now.  It's special teams play, and the fact that they've run into a goaltender playing lights out, and a team with an airtight defensive system. As much as you guys love to see Luongo swinging in the wind, at this moment, there are other things which the team need to be concerned about. Regardless of contracts and salaries, which don't mean squat in the playoffs, the Canucks have confidence in both their goalies.  I don't think both will be here next year, and it's still a question mark as to who stays, and who goes, but that's a question for July, not now.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTEI know goaltending isn't the biggest issue facing the Nucks right now, but when facing a lose or go home scenario, don't you think the coach should go with his No#1 guy in a must win situation?Unless you are saying Lu isn't his No#1 guy, then starting Schneider is a slap in the face to Luongo.What AV would be saying to Lu is, with the season on the line i have more confidence in my No#2.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vancouver finally admits they cannot win with Luongo... turn to Boston College goalie!!! : [QUOTE]I don't agree.  Goaltending is not the issue with the Canucks right now.  It's special teams play, and the fact that they've run into a goaltender playing lights out, and a team with an airtight defensive system. As much as you guys love to see Luongo swinging in the wind, at this moment, there are other things which the team need to be concerned about. Regardless of contracts and salaries, which don't mean squat in the playoffs, the Canucks have confidence in both their goalies.  I don't think both will be here next year, and it's still a question mark as to who stays, and who goes, but that's a question for July, not now. Posted by 49-North[/QUOTEI know goaltending isn't the biggest issue facing the Nucks right now, but when facing a lose or go home scenario, don't you think the coach should go with his No#1 guy in a must win situation?Unless you are saying Lu isn't his No#1 guy, then starting Schneider is a slap in the face to Luongo.What AV would be saying to Lu is, with the season on the line i have more confidence in my No#2.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

As a Head Coach, you have to make a decision which gives the team the best chance to win.  You can't be thinking: "How's Mike going to deal with this situation in the summer?".  That's Mike's job.  AV's job is to coach, with objective #1 to win on Wednesday night. 

Can you imagine the firestorm if AV was directed by MG (or, CJ by PC) to start a certain player because "it would make my life easier in the off-season"?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vancouver finally admits they cannot win with Luongo... turn to Boston College goalie!!! : As a Head Coach, you have to make a decision which gives the team the best chance to win.  You can't be thinking: "How's Mike going to deal with this situation in the summer?".  That's Mike's job.  AV's job is to coach, with objective #1 to win on Wednesday night.  Can you imagine the firestorm if AV was directed by MG (or, CJ by PC) to start a certain player because "it would make my life easier in the off-season"?
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]We've agreed that Lu & Schneider have played well, so with that being said, when its a win or go home scenario don't you play your No#1 guy? Or is Lu not the No#1 in Van now ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vancouver finally admits they cannot win with Luongo... turn to Boston College goalie!!! : Luongo was playing well coming into the playoffs, as was Schneider.  To declare CS the starter would mean that you're going against "what got you there" (by there, meaning the #1 seed).  So why change that? Luongo was the starter for the regular season; Schneider played in 33 games.  Would it have made sense last week to have declared Cory as the starter?  Not really.  Was Luongo the reason why the Canucks lost the first two games?  Not really.  Was Schneider the reason why they lost Game 3? Not really.  So, back to my original point.  AV's objective was to shake up the team a bit, without a drop-off in net, which is why he put Schneider in for Gm 3.  What he does for Gm 4 is anyone's guess.

It would have made just as much sense as yanking the guy who "got you there" after two games in which he played just fine.

I think he should be decisive one way or the other.  He hasn't shown confidence in either guy now.

Who knows, maybe it will work.  But now, it better work for 4 games in a row.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vancouver finally admits they cannot win with Luongo... turn to Boston College goalie!!! : It would have made just as much sense as yanking the guy who "got you there" after two games in which he played just fine. I think he should be decisive one way or the other.  He hasn't shown confidence in either guy now. Who knows, maybe it will work.  But now, it better work for 4 games in a row.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

As much as I'm a Canucks fan, I'm also a realist.  It's going to be very difficult for the Canucks to beat the Kings 4 straight, the way Quick is playing. I can't see Daniel being the saviour when he's coming back (prematurely?) after that nasty head shot.

The only real hope is for the Canucks to win tomorrow, and put that dangerous 'seed of doubt' in the Kings' brains. Problem with that is that they've got guys (Richards, Carter) who have been on the other end of the 3-0 series lead, and they can tell the others about what's possible. 

Either that, or for Quick to pull a groin in the 1st period tomorrow, and be out for 2 weeks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vancouver finally admits they cannot win with Luongo... turn to Boston College goalie!!! : As much as I'm a Canucks fan, I'm also a realist.  It's going to be very difficult for the Canucks to beat the Kings 4 straight, the way Quick is playing. I can't see Daniel being the saviour when he's coming back (prematurely?) after that nasty head shot. The only real hope is for the Canucks to win tomorrow, and put that dangerous 'seed of doubt' in the Kings' brains. Problem with that is that they've got guys (Richards, Carter) who have been on the other end of the 3-0 series lead, and they can tell the others about what's possible.  Either that, or for Quick to pull a groin in the 1st period tomorrow, and be out for 2 weeks.

Yeah, it seems unlikely, but not impossible.  I mean, Schneider played great and he has to be inspired and confident right now no matter what AV did or didn't do.  He's got nothing to lose.  If he keeps holding the Kings to one or two goals, you've got to think that the Canucks can do some scoring.  Obviosuly having Daniel out is a huge loss and I have to think that him coming back so soon after suffering concussion symptoms (last week?) is suspect.  But I think the Canucks are a better 5 on 5 team than they were last year, which is key since the refs seem determined not to be lured into calling a bunch of frivolous penalties.  I say that Higgans and Booth are the keys to a comeback, at least until Burrows and HS get used to playing without DS.  Kesler could stop all the nonsense and buckle down too.  Win one in LA, then win at home, and the pressure is suddenly reversed.  When they've had negative pressure for a while, and then it is lifted, they might just take off -- like the Bruins sweeping the Flyers after a very pressured series vs. Montreal last year.  As Kevin Millar famously warned the Yankees before the 4th game in 2004 "You better finish us off tonight".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from burythehabs. Show burythehabs's posts

Vancouver must be showcasing Schneider. He is RFA 2012 and they can get a nice return for him. Luongo is unmoveable and they are stuck with him. Or will they extend CS and pay for "two #1's"? I don't think they can afford that.

This resembles Boston's situation in a way, except both Bruin goalies have trade value. I'm interested to see what they do, since it will affected the trade market for goalies.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Vancouver must be showcasing Schneider. He is RFA 2012 and they can get a nice return for him. Luongo is unmoveable and they are stuck with him. Or will they extend CS and pay for "two #1's"? I don't think they can afford that.   This resembles Boston's situation in a way, except both Bruin goalies have trade value. I'm interested to see what they do, since it will affected the trade market for goalies.
    Posted by burythehabs[/QUOTE]

Oh Oh !

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

The big question is how large will the riot be if Vancouver gets swept!