Vancouver Nasty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Vancouver Nasty

Zach Kassian is Nasty pick up for Vancouver. Vancouver made some interesting trades. If we have to match up again in the finals it is going to be a blood bath.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

Re: Vancouver Nasty

This is the dumbest trade Vancouver could have made. Hodgson was the scoring depth they needed on the third line, and they just lost it for  tough guy who can't score. Hodgson is way underrated by folks trying to spin this as a good deal for Van.

it is not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

They gave up a little skill for a tougher player.
    If I were a Canucks fan I'de be happy.  Mentioned more than once on here  I like what Kassian brings and is comparable with Lucic.
    TSN is peeing in their pants.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Did not say it was a good deal I just say they were trying to find an answer for Bruins grit and a match up to Thorton and Lucic. Not the right answer but they made an attempt. I think he is just going to Goon it up and make NAS happy because he can go after him during the play offs and stay off the antics of Thorton and Marchand. LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

n Response to Re: Vancouver Nasty:
    They gave up a little skill for a tougher player. If I were a Canucks fan I'de be happy.  Mentioned more than once on here  I like what Kassian brings and is comparable with Lucic. TSN is peeing in their pants.
    Posted by BsLegion

That's always been his handle, and he has shown a few flashes of offense at points in the year, but nothing to suggest he is the next Lucic yet.  Hodgson's  good pick up for Buffalo - he's a classic new surroundings case I think.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Re: Vancouver Nasty:
    They gave up a little skill for a tougher player. If I were a Canucks fan I'de be happy.  Mentioned more than once on here  I like what Kassian brings and is comparable with Lucic. TSN is peeing in their pants.
    Posted by BsLegion

I agree with Legion on this.  Kassian is a nice piece for Vancouver and I'm really surprised the Sabres made this move, adding another skilled (yet soft) forward to their team.

If Kassian keeps his nose clean outside of hockey, this really helps the Canucks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think the Sabres win this trade going away.  Hodgson has some scary skills and gave Vancouver some good depth scoring.  Kassian is tough but is a terrible skater who had trouble cracking the Sabres lineup.  It's very easy to add toughness and hard to add real skill.  Buffalo can pick up a few guys who can fight in the offseason.  Vancouver just sent away one of their best young talents to try to be tough.

For Vancouver, they can't just buy toughness either.  The difference between Boston and Vancouver was not so much that Boston had big PIM guys like Thornton, but rather that their skill players played tough, while the Sedins melted away.  So Kassian could fight Thornton or Lucic or whoever, but will the Sedins play any tougher?  I doubt it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

I agree FLetch it was a team effort but I think the point is that this was a knee jerk reaction on Vancouver's part to try to match up with meeting the Bruins or Rangers in the play offs. Or Even Detroit leading up to it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I agree FLetch it was a team effort but I think the point is that this was a knee jerk reaction on Vancouver's part to try to match up with meeting the Bruins or Rangers in the play offs. Or Even Detroit leading up to it. 
    Posted by Macfact

I guess.  As a Bruins fans, I'm more scared of Hodgson's speed and skill on the 3rd line than I am of Kassian's fists (and terrible skating).  We'll see.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Without a doubt. The entire GRIT thing filters through all of Boston and one guys is not going to make the difference. You are right there. Too bad we could not have gotten Hodgson I guess.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I know it's standing on the fence but I like the deal for both teams. Van wanted some more toughness and they got it. Buff got a skilled pivot. Both players are young, it will be interesting to see what Hodgson can do w/ more ice and pp time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

My first reaction to the trade was "NO-O-O-O-O-O-O!!"

I'm still not pleased at losing Hodgson, who I saw as a potential career Canuck, but I'm starting to see the rationale for the deal. As long as Hank and Kes are on the team, Hodgson isn't going to become a top 2 center. 

Hodgson has the skills to be a top 2 center, but he'd have to move to another team to become one.  The question is: is Kassian the real deal, and does Gragnani have the potential to become a good puck-moving d-man? If so, then the deal makes sense.

On the other hand, I love the Pahlsson pick up. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Kassian is a pylon. is he gonna see playoff minutes??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Kassian is a pylon. is he gonna see playoff minutes??
    Posted by 86redsox

I haven't seen much of Kassian's play lately.  I guess we'll see when he gets here,and practices with the team.  At some point, you have to say that the team's GM, management team and scouts know more about NHL players than you or I do. 

Who knows?  Maybe guys like Kassian and Gragnani will be highly motivated at being given a chance to win a Cup -- something that wasn't on the immediate horizon in Buffalo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Kassian interview he was shocked and did not sound pleased about going to Vancouver. Just his initial reaction that will be politically correct soon. But I don't blame him.

NHL Network still saying that the cup contenders are still:

Detroit vs Vancouver

Boston vs Rangers

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Van gets some guys exclusively based on the experience of last years STF.

I think not good for Van.  Gotta get through the rest in the west first.

Better way to go is keep your game and not build your team to play against one other team.

Sammi P is all done.  Way too slow.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think Kassian is overrated because he's not a good skater at all, and I think the whole toughness thing is overrated.  Anaheim won with lots of tough guys and then everyone fell over themselves to get tough while the next 4 Stanley Cup winners did it a totally different way.  Boston's whole MO was being tough to play against and when faced with the penalty-drawing obsessed Canucks they stepped it up a notch.  But that isn't why they won.  They won because their star players performed in 4 straight games while the Canucks star players didn't.  I don't see how Kassian makes the Sedins and Luongo play better, but I suppose it helps to have somebody tough out there, sometimes.

I still say Hodgson scares me more.  Do you remember the goal he scored against the Bruins this year?  Not a lot of guys can do that.  Having three lines with scoring talent seems more dangerous than a very tough, but lumbering Kassian.  Pahlson was probably a good pickup though. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Since sarcasm is sometimes disguised in print, hope the move works out 49. Van seemed to lose some speed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

And I don't see how a trade between 2 of the more argueably soft teams in the NHL makes one of them nastier.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

And I don't see how a trade between 2 of the more argueably soft teams in the NHL makes one of them nastier.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Exactly - For a team that scorned the Bruins' aggressive style of play they swapped a promising player of some skill for a guy who apparently has Bruin-like toughness (not necessarily the skill).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Since sarcasm is sometimes disguised in print, hope the move works out 49. Van seemed to lose some speed.
    Posted by 86redsox

Hodgson isn't blessed with superb wheels.  Not on a team that has guys like Booth and Raymond.  What Hodgson brings is great puck sense and hockey brains.  He makes nice passes, doesn't panic with the puck and, as TT can attest, has a wicked shot.

I think Hodgson will flourish in a situation where he gets top-two-lines ice time.  He is 5th in rookie scoring, while averaging about 5 minutes of ice time less than the guys ahead of him.  I'll miss him in VanCity -- he was one of my favourites.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I think Kassian is overrated because he's not a good skater at all, and I think the whole toughness thing is overrated.  Anaheim won with lots of tough guys and then everyone fell over themselves to get tough while the next 4 Stanley Cup winners did it a totally different way.  Boston's whole MO was being tough to play against and when faced with the penalty-drawing obsessed Canucks they stepped it up a notch.  But that isn't why they won.  They won because their star players performed in 4 straight games while the Canucks star players didn't.  I don't see how Kassian makes the Sedins and Luongo play better, but I suppose it helps to have somebody tough out there, sometimes. I still say Hodgson scares me more.  Do you remember the goal he scored against the Bruins this year?  Not a lot of guys can do that.  Having three lines with scoring talent seems more dangerous than a very tough, but lumbering Kassian.  Pahlson was probably a good pickup though. 
    Posted by Fletcher1

You're talking about Zach Kassian drafted by the Sabres or the goon on the Wild, Matt Kassian ?
    Zach Kassian for his size is a good skater. 
    I'm telling you guys he'll surprise you.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I doubt they this trade was made with the Bruins in mind, I think Vancouver overall wanted to add some sandpaper to their line up. To say theyre doing this so they'll be tougher against the Bruins is a little naive, Vancouver has to get through Detroit and now two improved deep teams in Nashville and San Jose..B's  have their hands full as well, not saying theres no chance of them seeing each other in the Finals, I just doubt any team makes a deal with whoever they think their playing in the Finals in mind.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Vancouver Nasty : You are talking about the Kassian drafted by the Sabre and not the goon on the Wild ? Zach Kassian for his size is a good skater.  I'm telling you guys he'll surprise you.  
    Posted by BsLegion

Agree. This player has skills for a big guy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Vancouver Nasty : Agree. This player has skills for a big guy.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Zach Kassian has a rep and hit some players in vulnerable positions back in his junior days. The suspension he got in the WJC championships was bogus.
    Also scored some nice goals when called up by Buffalo and won a fight against Sestito ( i think).
    This season is his first pre-season and many around here have yet to see what this kid can do.

Sections
Shortcuts