Vanek rejects Islanders offer, may be traded: report

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Vanek rejects Islanders offer, may be traded: report

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=703477&navid=nhl:topheads

Thomas Vanek recently turned down a lucrative contract offer from the New York Islanders and the team is looking into trading the impending unrestricted free agent forward, according to a report in Newsday. The newspaper reported Monday that Vanek turned down an offer believed to be similar to his seven-year, $50 million contract which expires at the end of the 2013-14 season.

The Islanders acquired Vanek from the Buffalo Sabres on Oct. 27 in a trade for forward Matt Moulson, a 2014 first-round pick and a 2015 second-round pick. In 41 games with the Islanders, the 30-year-old has 15 goals and 38 points.

Steve Bartlett, Vanek's agent, told Newsday on Monday he and Islanders general manager Garth Snow have not talked in the past several days. Bartlett said Vanek has not told the Islanders he would not sign an extension prior to hitting free agency in July.

"I understand we're getting close to the time where Garth may feel he needs to act," Bartlett is quoted as saying."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/thomas-vanek-rejects-islanders-offer-gm-snow-looking-162525124--nhl.html

I'm going to say Ottawa, Montreal and Philly in the East would show interest. Guessing Minnesota and Vancouver in the West should speak to Snow about Vanek. CapGeek says most of those teams would have to move some salary out.

Where do you think Vanek goes ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Vanek rejects Islanders offer, may be traded: report

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=703477&navid=nhl:topheads

Thomas Vanek recently turned down a lucrative contract offer from the New York Islanders and the team is looking into trading the impending unrestricted free agent forward, according to a report in Newsday. The newspaper reported Monday that Vanek turned down an offer believed to be similar to his seven-year, $50 million contract which expires at the end of the 2013-14 season.

The Islanders acquired Vanek from the Buffalo Sabres on Oct. 27 in a trade for forward Matt Moulson, a 2014 first-round pick and a 2015 second-round pick. In 41 games with the Islanders, the 30-year-old has 15 goals and 38 points.

Steve Bartlett, Vanek's agent, told Newsday on Monday he and Islanders general manager Garth Snow have not talked in the past several days. Bartlett said Vanek has not told the Islanders he would not sign an extension prior to hitting free agency in July.

"I understand we're getting close to the time where Garth may feel he needs to act," Bartlett is quoted as saying."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/thomas-vanek-rejects-islanders-offer-gm-snow-looking-162525124--nhl.html

I'm going to say Ottawa, Montreal and Philly in the East would show interest. Guessing Minnesota and Vancouver in the West should speak to Snow about Vanek. CapGeek says most of those teams would have to move some salary out.

Where do you think Vanek goes ?

I will guess Rangers,Kings,Montreal and of course Philly, when aren't they in on it. Kings need scoring bad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yah Lombardi has been agressive and has shown he will make a move.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Terrible deal for the Isles.  Moulson a 1st and 2nd.   How are they gonna make that up.  They might get a first but teams with no chance of signing him wont throw high end prospects.  My two guesses are the Kings and RedWings.  

Meanwhile Buffalo could get 2 1st rounders and a 2nd For Vanek.   Buffalo likely deals Tallinder, Miller, Konopka and Ott.   Buffalo total rebuild.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Terrible deal for the Isles.  Moulson a 1st and 2nd.   How are they gonna make that up.  They might get a first but teams with no chance of signing him wont throw high end prospects.  My two guesses are the Kings and RedWings.  

Meanwhile Buffalo could get 2 1st rounders and a 2nd For Vanek.   Buffalo likely deals Tallinder, Miller, Konopka and Ott.   Buffalo total rebuild.  

I would like to see that.  I'm not sure why, but I feel sorry for Buffalo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

I would like to see that.  I'm not sure why, but I feel sorry for Buffalo.

Bc back when they should have spent money they didnt and lost everyone.  Then when they could they spent it on duds.  Then they traded their captain.  

buffalo could build a nice stockpile of picks prospects in the next month.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

can't blame this one on Mike Milbury....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Kings would make a lot of sense for Vanek...they need help in scoring....  They have some top line prospects they could deal... If I am Snow I start with Martin Jones and go from there... LA of course would make sure they could sign Vanek long term.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

and Tifoli.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

The bastar d is a Bruin killer. I would love to see PC get him. He certainly could do what Jagr couldn't last yr. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

Kings would make a lot of sense for Vanek...they need help in scoring....  They have some top line prospects they could deal... If I am Snow I start with Martin Jones and go from there... LA of course would make sure they could sign Vanek long term.....

LA has no cap room. The others that have the dough also have no cap room.

Vanek may price himself out of the League. The KHL will look good on him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

He'll end up in Pittsburgh.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Smells like it, doesn't it Book?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

That's a strong possibility.  The question then becomes what does Pitt offer.  If I'm NYI I'd ask for Maatta or Pouliot and a 1st and 2nd round picks.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Gawd that thought makes me wanna hurl!  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Letang.  Okay, probably not because they probably don't want to give big minutes in the playoffs to Bortuzzo and Despres, and they'll want a backup plan to ensure Maatta can handle the load. 

They need to shed salary to make it work.  You know what they might be able to do, though, is pay the Islanders to retain a chunk of Vanek's salary. Buffalo already retained some of that cap hit, so the precise amount the NYI could keep is tricky - the rule states you can retain 50% of the contract, so would that be 50% of the $7.143M Vanek receives or 50% of the $5.75M the Isles are responsible for?  If it's the former, the Isles could retain $3.55M, mean the Pens only need to find $2.25M in cap space to bring him in.  And in real cash, that's about $560K in cap space for the post-deadline games.

This scenario would have to be very, very costly for the Pingu, and I could see it getting bigger if Snow plays his cards correctly and Shero really thinks Vanek's worth it (that is, he wants to keep him for the future).  Say the deal starts with Letang because Pitt thinks they can get what he brings from some combination of Maatta, Pouliot, Despres and Harrington as soon as next year...but this deal also needs to be about this year for the top team in the East, so Snow suggests maybe they take on Andy MacDonald for the playoffs.  His $550K hit is pocket change, and he'd give them more balance.  But, hey, between giving them another valuable asset and taking back max value on Vanek's deal to make it work, Garth needs to be taken care of.

So in a vaccuum, Vanek for Letang and a second or third sounds "fair", but under these circumstance Snow's looking for Letang and a second just for Vanek, bump that pick to a first and add another piece just so that Pitt can make it work under the cap, and then add another piece or increase the value of that second piece so the NYI feel they get competitive value for MacDonald.  Letang, Despres, Brandon Sutter and a first?  They get Despres at a bargain because he's been passed by a few guys in the Pitt system, but there was a lot of buzz about him not that long ago and he has 69 games of NHL experience.  Sutter gives the Isles something they need in terms of depth, hustle, defensive acumen.

Total speculation, but hey, I said he'd end up in Pitt, so....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Letang.  Okay, probably not because they probably don't want to give big minutes in the playoffs to Bortuzzo and Despres, and they'll want a backup plan to ensure Maatta can handle the load. 

They need to shed salary to make it work.  You know what they might be able to do, though, is pay the Islanders to retain a chunk of Vanek's salary. Buffalo already retained some of that cap hit, so the precise amount the NYI could keep is tricky - the rule states you can retain 50% of the contract, so would that be 50% of the $7.143M Vanek receives or 50% of the $5.75M the Isles are responsible for?  If it's the former, the Isles could retain $3.55M, mean the Pens only need to find $2.25M in cap space to bring him in.  And in real cash, that's about $560K in cap space for the post-deadline games.

This scenario would have to be very, very costly for the Pingu, and I could see it getting bigger if Snow plays his cards correctly and Shero really thinks Vanek's worth it (that is, he wants to keep him for the future).  Say the deal starts with Letang because Pitt thinks they can get what he brings from some combination of Maatta, Pouliot, Despres and Harrington as soon as next year...but this deal also needs to be about this year for the top team in the East, so Snow suggests maybe they take on Andy MacDonald for the playoffs.  His $550K hit is pocket change, and he'd give them more balance.  But, hey, between giving them another valuable asset and taking back max value on Vanek's deal to make it work, Garth needs to be taken care of.

So in a vaccuum, Vanek for Letang and a second or third sounds "fair", but under these circumstance Snow's looking for Letang and a second just for Vanek, bump that pick to a first and add another piece just so that Pitt can make it work under the cap, and then add another piece or increase the value of that second piece so the NYI feel they get competitive value for MacDonald.  Letang, Despres, Brandon Sutter and a first?  They get Despres at a bargain because he's been passed by a few guys in the Pitt system, but there was a lot of buzz about him not that long ago and he has 69 games of NHL experience.  Sutter gives the Isles something they need in terms of depth, hustle, defensive acumen.

Total speculation, but hey, I said he'd end up in Pitt, so....

I just hurled again! Thanks BB, you're a real sweetheart! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Holmgren can't keep his hands to himself, outside looking in right now. I wouldn't count Murray in Ottawa out either. With a couple of moves the Senators could make the playoffs again. Curious to see if Holland stands pat or not.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

In response to cowboys9's comment:

LA has no cap room. The others that have the dough also have no cap room.

Vanek may price himself out of the League. The KHL will look good on him.

Don, I wouldn't mind seeing Vanek go to the KHL... Neither would the Bruins....

LA wouldn't have to do much to fit him under their cap next year if they were to get him....looking at next year's roster ... Mitchell(3M) is gone he's a UFA,  and losing Williams or Stoll who make about the same (3.7M) would be a start... I think he goes there...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

The bastar d is a Bruin killer. I would love to see PC get him. He certainly could do what Jagr couldn't last yr. 

I'm with you.  We have some extra money to spend, right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Id love to see Vanek in a Bs uniform, but any deal for him would cost alot and unless PC had the chance to get an answer if he will stay in  boston therefor not likely see a deal for him from PC. I persoanlally think Vanek would love Boston.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I think Vanek is overplaying his hand. Thats a lot of coin and the Isles are on their way up. If he thinks going to Philly ot Ottawa is a better deal for him then he's mistaken. Montreal? sorry just don't see it happening with the guys they need to pay there and I don't think there is too much from that team the Isles want.

Kings are set defensively and badly need scoring. Do they upset the apple cart to bring him in? It seems the most likely scenario.

He should just re-up with the Isles and be on a line with Tavares and Okposo for the next few years. A lot of guys are gonna wanna play for them once they move out of that garbage dump of a stadium.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

For giggles, what would the package from Boston need to be for Snow to go for it. At which point we can all agree it's too much.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

For giggles, what would the package from Boston need to be for Snow to go for it. At which point we can all agree it's too much.

Well if Book is correct & Shero offers Letang....I would think that Hamilton would have to be in the mix. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Well if Book is correct & Shero offers Letang....I would think that Hamilton would have to be in the mix. 

[/QUOTE]

Can the Bruins defence corp afford another subtraction ?

I don't see a deal sending Hamilton anywhere unless it was a serviceable playoff defenceman coming back in return.

Sections
Shortcuts