Vegas: Bruins are 2nd most likely spot for Nash

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Vegas: Bruins are 2nd most likely spot for Nash

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/15/online-bookmaker-rangers-the-favorites-to-land-nash/

Anyways, take it for what its worth, but I think it's interesting that Vegas thinks the B's have a legit chance @ Nash

I don't think people appreciate just how good Rick Nash is, nor do they honestly believe that Tim Thomas has more than 1 year left. Personally, I would give up Tuukka for Nash because I feel that Thomas has more years in him than people think, that would give us plenty of time to find another goalie. Moreover, I believe that this is Zdeno Chara's team and not a goalie-driven team. I believe we should honestly be talking about the "Chara Window" and hold out hope that Dougie Hamilton can be 3/4 the player Chara is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Re: Vegas: Bruins are 2nd most likely spot for Nash

I have to say that I think the Vegas odds are way off. No way he goes to the Rangers. Its just not an option.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

In Response to Re: Vegas: Bruins are 2nd most likely spot for Nash:
    I have to say that I think the Vegas odds are way off. No way he goes to the Rangers. Its just not an option.
    Posted by lambda13

I actually agree with you; the idea that Brandon Dubinsky, a 1st round pick and a prospect equals Rick Nash doesn't seem to add up. 

but I don't know enough about Vegas to really game this, but maybe we can think of a way to profit from it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Very interesting.  I'd consider trading Rask or Hamilton.  If the right player is brought in.  Maybe it is Nash.  This window is the Tim Thomas window.  I think someone else could be the goalie of the future. The problem with Nash is his salary is too high.  He would have to be considered a rental.  Keeping him past this year would force us to alter our team too much. I might still do it.  But I'm a high roller.
    Posted by mattc355

I don't actually agree that Nash would be a rental. First, he is the best power forward in the league hands down (and has been for the past 5+ years), he's 27 years old, and exactly the type of player the Bruins management would kill for on the first line next to Seguin, why wouldn't they want him long term?

If PC pulls this off and somehow saves Tuukka, he's going to be an instant Bruins Legend

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

If Nash comes to bruins land it wont be as a rental because if you look at the demise of the offense this team has lost ( as in savard horton ) the team really needs to look ahead, every team GM sets a 3 year plan ahead and adding nash could actually shorten PCs long look ahead. Yes the dollars are to be considered and theres always a way to make it fit. Giving up rask is a no no for a rental, long term player yes i agree. Sorry guys i have yet to think hes our furture. One last thing is i see alot saying dont trade dougie, an unproven prsopect for a proven player ? Just my opinion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Olsonic, i agree that the time to win is now too but think that Columbus will be wanting more than just Tuukka in return....

i also doubt that PC will comprimise the B'S chances of repeating by adding another core player into the deal....  aside from Hamilton, i'd be ok for including any prospects or picks needed, along with Tuukka, to complete the deal....

that said, i don't expect to see Nash coming through the door anytime soon....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Olsonic, i agree that the time to win is now too but think that Columbus will be wanting more than just Tuukka in return.... i also doubt that PC will comprimise the B'S chances of repeating by adding another core player into the deal....  aside from Hamilton, i'd be ok for including any prospects or picks needed, along with Tuukka, to complete the deal.... that said, i don't expect to see Nash coming through the door anytime soon....
    Posted by days-of-Orr

I highly suspect Hamilton would be included in any deal for Nash, especially considering P.C. is trying his best to avoid trading Tuukka.

But lets imagine this: The New York Rangers add Rick Nash. Do you honestly feel that the Bruins could beat a NYR team that is so loaded on offense and super strong in goaltending and set for years into the future? How about the Pens when Crosby gets back?

I dunno, I Just think the Bruins are lacking some firepower right now.. Since the Vancouver game, we don't resemble that team with remarkable depth that went into the post-season last year. Adding Rick Nash for Tukkaa would essentially subtract nothing from our core, set Seguin up with a line-mate for his future, give the bruins an elite goal-scorer, and position them as the front runner for another cup this season.

very very interesting trade deadline.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think the Bruins have enough pieces to deal for a rental.  I think they should either add small parts, or add big parts that can be re-signed for the future.  We don't have enough prospects to deal poeple away for two months of Rick Nash.

I can't see any way the Rangers deal Dubinsky for Nash.  The Blue Jackets want more and the Rangers can't upset the balance of the best team in hockey by trading away one of their unquestioned leaders and best players.  Dubie is loved in NY.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Vegas: Bruins are 2nd most likely spot for Nash : I highly suspect Hamilton would be included in any deal for Nash, especially considering P.C. is trying his best to avoid trading Tuukka. But lets imagine this: The New York Rangers add Rick Nash. Do you honestly feel that the Bruins could beat a NYR team that is so loaded on offense and super strong in goaltending and set for years into the future? How about the Pens when Crosby gets back? I dunno, I Just think the Bruins are lacking some firepower right now.. Since the Vancouver game, we don't resemble that team with remarkable depth that went into the post-season last year. Adding Rick Nash for Tukkaa would essentially subtract nothing from our core, set Seguin up with a line-mate for his future, give the bruins an elite goal-scorer, and position them as the front runner for another cup this season. very very interesting trade deadline.
    Posted by Olsonic

To me Nash is a top 5 player in the league, rate them how you want, say I'm wrong, been a favorite of mine for along time and I've endured many Blue Jackets games just to watch him. He gets a break away, it's in the net, the fact that he plays on that team and still gets break aways is a feat in itself. Teams focus on him so much. He has size, tons of speed, thats a very underrated part of his game, a killer shot and he absolutley snipes. He'd be scary good with any talent around him.

He's under contract until 2017 so he would not be a rental, I don't see the Rangers getting him  because thaty'd have to trade alot more than Dubinsky and a pick to fit him in under the cap. I don't see them doing a major shake-up to team thats already that good.
    I don't see the Bruins getting him for the shake up reason but they'd have alot more wiggle room than the Rangers. I t would have to be a multi player deal with Rask going one way and Mason coming back. Probably cost you Krejci or Marchand as well. I just don't see the B's parting ways with Hamilton, though you have to give up something to get a player of Nash's talents.

I said it before in another thread, I'd keep an eye on the Capitals. They could easily ship Nuevirth or Holtby (He got a start the other night, hmmmm)  along with a package that includes Semin, Perreault maybe even switch one out with Carlson. They could bury Knuble in the minors or include him in the deal. Perhaps ship Knuble to San Jose. Speaking of San Jose, I'd throw them in the mix as well, they have 2 goalies in the system (Stalock & Sateri) could package Demers along with Marleau. Columbus is going to want an NHL player or 2 and some prospects. San Jose and Washington fit the bill with Washington getting the edge.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You play to win the game.  If they think Nash is the catalyst, and they can get him without dishing a core roster player, then yes, you almost have to deal Hamilton. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Columbus has likely aready made a decision to rebuild, saying that Nash is gone because they can get 3 young peices added immediately to that plan. Rask Hamilton and most likely a 1st rd pick does it. Im with u guys keep hamilton but then whats left ? I see caron and maybe another prospect or and pick. This is tough.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

kel, if I'm Howson, neither of those deals is a starter.  I don't want a goalie prospect, I want a goalie.  I don't want the top forward coming back to be in his mid-30s like Marleau or available to me for free as a UFA in a few months.

Columbus's goaltending and defense are abominable, and they need to do basically what the Bruins have done since the Thornton era - ditch their top forward for resources to shore up the back end.  They're out of the playoffs this year, so they aren't likely to see this contract year as of much value - so nobody coming up to RFA or UFA status.  At the same time, I doubt they want picks they have to wait three or four years to see making an impact.  They tried to go UFA with Wiz and got burned.  Given all that...deals for forwards and picks are weak.  NHL ready D and a proven goalie prospect will have some weight.  Carlson's the only guy who fits from your proposals, and he's been much less impressive as a soph.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from degolds. Show degolds's posts

In Response to Vegas: Bruins are 2nd most likely spot for Nash:
    http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/15/online-bookmaker-rangers-the-favorites-to-land-nash/ Anyways, take it for what its worth, but I think it's interesting that Vegas thinks the B's have a legit chance @ Nash I don't think people appreciate just how good Rick Nash is, nor do they honestly believe that Tim Thomas has more than 1 year left. Personally, I would give up Tuukka for Nash because I feel that Thomas has more years in him than people think, that would give us plenty of time to find another goalie. Moreover, I believe that this is Zdeno Chara's team and not a goalie-driven team. I believe we should honestly be talking about the "Chara Window" and hold out hope that Dougie Hamilton can be 3/4 the player Chara is.
    Posted by Olsonic

I would trade Rask, Krejci, Caron and a first for Nash and David Moore

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swearengen. Show Swearengen's posts

Enough of this "hands down" "not even close" nonsense

Bobby Ryan is better than Rick Nash, is 3 years younger and comes 3 million dollars a year cheaper

If the Bruins were going to give up the package it would take to get Nash; which would most likely be their 1st round pick, Dougie Hamilton and one of either Lucic, Krecji or Marchand; I would much rather they gave it up for Ryan

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

How about Corvo, Pouliotte and Thomas for Nash :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Enough of this "hands down" "not even close" nonsense Bobby Ryan is better than Rick Nash, is 3 years younger and comes 3 million dollars a year cheaper If the Bruins were going to give up the package it would take to get Nash; which would most likely be their 1st round pick, Dougie Hamilton and one of either Lucic, Krecji or Marchand; I would much rather they gave it up for Ryan
    Posted by Swearengen

Bobby Ryan played most of his career (3 years) with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry.....all perenial all-stars, one MVP. don't even get started on him be a better player than Nash. Nash has mirrored his progress (and exceeded it) entirely on his own. Failure to acknowledge what a player does when defenders can focus squarely on him makes your opinion hard to take seriously.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

kel, if I'm Howson, neither of those deals is a starter.  I don't want a goalie prospect, I want a goalie.  I don't want the top forward coming back to be in his mid-30s like Marleau or available to me for free as a UFA in a few months. Columbus's goaltending and defense are abominable, and they need to do basically what the Bruins have done since the Thornton era - ditch their top forward for resources to shore up the back end.  They're out of the playoffs this year, so they aren't likely to see this contract year as of much value - so nobody coming up to RFA or UFA status.  At the same time, I doubt they want picks they have to wait three or four years to see making an impact.  They tried to go UFA with Wiz and got burned.  Given all that...deals for forwards and picks are weak.  NHL ready D and a proven goalie prospect will have some weight.  Carlson's the only guy who fits from your proposals, and he's been much less impressive as a soph.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Book, good points, but they are going to need a known name. If they don't get one NHL proven player back, they won't sell any tickets. I did not include picks as I don't see that as an option but a package of Nuevirth-Semin-Carlson makes alot of sense to me. Not many proven goalies out there that are available, only one I can see is Luongo, but theres no way they do that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Vegas: Bruins are 2nd most likely spot for Nash : Bobby Ryan played most of his career (3 years) with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry..... don't even get started on him be a better player than Nash. Nash does it all entirely on his own.
    Posted by Olsonic

Bobby Ryan is a terrific player, just not as good as Nash. You put Nash with getzlaf nd perry and he flirts with 60.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

In Response to Re: Vegas: Bruins are 2nd most likely spot for Nash : Bobby Ryan is a terrific player, just not as good as Nash. You put Nash with getzlaf nd perry and he flirts with 60.
    Posted by kelvana33

100%

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Kelvana33, there is no denying Nash is a very talented player.

He may be top 5, why is his team always in the bottom 5? There is no excuse. Columbus always drafts at the top for many years. He is lacking somewhere. I wouldn't want to find out why.

Why in the world any team would trade top players, top prospects and draft choices for such a player is beyond me. But, such is life.

He wants out. Columbus is in a corner. It's bargain time. If you can't get him at bargain prices - walk away.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I say it would cost Rask and Lucic as a start to get Nash so I say NO. Especially when PC could probably get Ryan for Krejci with a pick. With Nash and Chara you have two players taking up almost $15M in cap space then you have no flexibility when you're farm club isn't stocked.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Kelvana33, there is no denying Nash is a very talented player. He may be top 5, why is his team always in the bottom 5? There is no excuse. Columbus always drafts at the top for many years. He is lacking somewhere. I wouldn't want to find out why. Why in the world any team would trade top players, top prospects and draft choices for such a player is beyond me. But, such is life. He wants out. Columbus is in a corner. It's bargain time. If you can't get him at bargain prices - walk away.
    Posted by Wheatskins

Wheat, you're really under-selling him. Columbus has had horrific talent evaluators, the only pick they hit on was Nash who was the clear cut #1 talent in his class. In fact, lets just look at how horrible they have been in the 1st round, 

So, the Blue Jackets have selected in the top 10 of the first round 10 of 11 times, and have nothing to show for it outside of Nash. but wait... it gets worse.

It turns out that the Columbus Blue Jackets have only drafted one all-star player in their entire history as a franchise in any around of the draft!!! Other teams that have had similar high draft picks like the Oilers, Penguins, Black-hawks, Capitals, have turned their picks into cup contenders or at least exciting rosters.

I'm gonna cut and paste here from a hockey writers article but, "Not only has Columbus been brutal for the majority of their existence, but many of their high draft picks aren’t even in the NHL anymore! Zherdev is in Russia, Leclaire is a UFA looking for work, Picard, Filatov and Brule are in the AHL with the affiliates of other NHL teams. The Blue Jackets selected these players ahead of NHL superstars like Tyler Myers, Claude Giroux, Logan Couture, Anze Kopitar, Marc Staal, Mike Green, Thomas Vanek, Dustin Brown, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Corey Perry, among others."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

I think they would want Rask and a franchise player- probably Seguin. I don't like that much.They need to sell tickets, as good as DK is- Seguin is a bigger ticket to the 100 or so people that watch hockey in Columbus

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Bob McKenzie just commented on the Nash situation via NBC Sports Networkand thinks LA has what it takes to get for Howson. Two real good goalies to pick from and two real good defenders to pick from. I agree that the Kings should pick up the phone and should be the front runners.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

I think they would want Rask and a franchise player- probably Seguin. I don't like that much.They need to sell tickets, as good as DK is- Seguin is a bigger ticket to the 100 or so people that watch hockey in Columbus
    Posted by Chef09

TBH, I was thinking about this today. My brother called me crazy. It seems that Seguin would be the guy they would want... which would enable us to keep Hamilton and Rask.... I don't want to believe it, but it almost sounds like a good fit. the only thing they would have to weigh is if the offense would be better with Nash than it would be with Seguin. While I think it would be better for the next two years, I think after that Seguin would have the edge.

This would be an insane trade, but the Bruins would maintain their defense+goaltending identity, bring clarity to our center situation. I wouldn't do it, but it does make sense. I could probably never pull the trigger on this trade, but I bet the Jackets at least ask about him.

another thing to note: I highly doubt he's gonna be on the market all the way up to the trade deadline. It's going to be a zoo in CBJ ever day until they either squash the whole idea of moving him or he gets moved. I seem to remember players of his calibur going on the market for extremely breif periods of time. We'll see though.

Sections
Shortcuts