Video : Tommy Cross at the Beanpot

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Video : Tommy Cross at the Beanpot

http://www.nesn.com/2012/02/tommy-cross-leadership-a-big-reason-boston-college-has-won-three-straight-beanpot-titles.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

Re: Video : Tommy Cross at the Beanpot

Nice post on Cross. He will be a nice fit on the blueline in years to come. I wonder if he signs after college this year and plays well in Providence could be someone to keep in my mind as a number seven, eight defenceman come playoff time. I wouldn't want to keep trading picks or prospects for guys like Spacek. Hall Gill costing a 2nd rounder is not a good sign.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

cross's impact on his teamates sounds good, but, the bruins allready have Chara. In addition Cross has had multiple knee procedures during his college days that also kept him out of Bruins pre-season camp. Will his capabilities stand up in the NHL, or even AHL ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

This is something I really don't like to see.  Players production leveling off in their last 2 years of junior or college.  I hear a warning alarm when I see that.

I will admit it's not impossible that they make it after that happens, but looking at the stats, it's much more prevalent that they won't make it.

Cross this year 18 pts in 32 games.
    Cross last year 18 pts in 28 games.

From previous history, last 2 years of jr or college

Hamill 2nd to last 93 pts in 69 games
    Hamill last year 75 pts in 67 games

And now I'll just pick players more or less at random from the last guys I looked at on hockey db.  These guys I know made it into the NHL.

Mark Mowers 2nd to last 58 pts in 39 games (UNH)
    Mark Mowers last year 56 pts in 35 games
    2 less points in final year, but 4 less games.  That shows an upward trend.  Mark made it to the NHL.

Dominic Moore 2nd to last 29 pts in 32 games (Harvard)
    Dominic Moore last year 51 pts in 34 games

Luke Schenn 2nd to last 29 pts in 72 games (Harvard)
    Luke Schenn last year 28 pts in 57 games
    Same number of pts, but much fewer games.

Other players who followed this trend, Horton, Bitz, Montador, Boyes and Allison.

I have only found one that bucked the trend, and he did it in a major way; Marty St. Louis.

Looking at a couple of other high picks that haven't played in the NHL

2008 Kyle Beach, 11 overall you have to do the math on him, his production improved just slightly, but it looks to me he was over age.
    2nd to last 54 games 66 pts
    last is  68 games and 86 pts

2009 Scott Glennie 8 overall
    2nd to last 66 games 89 pts
    last  70 games 91 pts

I'll need to be convinced otherwise, but if a guy hasn't improved in his last year of junior or college, that's a bad sign.

And more than likely he will not amount to much.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from myoung125. Show myoung125's posts

Really don't see this kid cracking the roster. We'll see what happens when he plays against AHL talent.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't know if looking at point totals alone is a great way to judge the defensmen.  Jerry York plays a pretty good system at BC and may not want Cross jumping up in the play a lot and racking up points.  The NHL comparable that I have heard for Tommy Cross is Mark Stuart.  In that case, points are almost irrelevant to Stuart's game.  I have no idea if Cross will become an NHLer or not, the odds are probably against it.  But if he does, it was my impression that he would be a 4-6 stay-at-home type defensemen.  So I don't think it matters much what his point totals are if he is continuing to improve his game.  We'll see next year...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Video : Tommy Cross at the Beanpot:
    [QUOTE]I don't know if looking at point totals alone is a great way to judge the defensmen.  Jerry York plays a pretty good system at BC and may not want Cross jumping up in the play a lot and racking up points.  The NHL comparable that I have heard for Tommy Cross is Mark Stuart.  In that case, points are almost irrelevant to Stuart's game.  I have no idea if Cross will become an NHLer or not, the odds are probably against it.  But if he does, it was my impression that he would be a 4-6 stay-at-home type defensemen.  So I don't think it matters much what his point totals are if he is continuing to improve his game.  We'll see next year...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I understand your point, but he's been in the same system all this while. 

I believe that points is a strong indicator, over rated to a degree, true, because a lot depends on the league, team mates etc.  However, I would expect that his point totals would grow no matter how much a stay at home defenseman he is.  He should be getting more assists.  He is on the PP from what I understand.

The guys who make it to the nhl in varying degrees become men among boys.  Key words are 'varying degrees'.  I look at the stats of the BC roster and I see there's another defenseman DeMoulin who is younger than Cross and has more points than Cross.

I expect him to be the lead point getter among the defensemen on his team.  Compare his stats relatively to Brian Leetch, although he was a stay at home defenseman, he was always the lead in points on his teams, save for his last 2 seasons where he should have been out of hockey.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

shocked this isnt a "trade him" thread.

you guys must be exhausted.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]shocked this isnt a "trade him" thread. you guys must be exhausted.
    Posted by 86redsox[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reminding us.  Yes.  He should be in the mix for Nash.  Along with Hamill.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]This is something I really don't like to see.  Players production leveling off in their last 2 years of junior or college.  I hear a warning alarm when I see that. I will admit it's not impossible that they make it after that happens, but looking at the stats, it's much more prevalent that they won't make it. Cross this year 18 pts in 32 games. Cross last year 18 pts in 28 games. From previous history, last 2 years of jr or college Hamill 2nd to last 93 pts in 69 games Hamill last year 75 pts in 67 games And now I'll just pick players more or less at random from the last guys I looked at on hockey db.  These guys I know made it into the NHL. Mark Mowers 2nd to last 58 pts in 39 games (UNH) Mark Mowers last year 56 pts in 35 games 2 less points in final year, but 4 less games.  That shows an upward trend.  Mark made it to the NHL. Dominic Moore 2nd to last 29 pts in 32 games (Harvard) Dominic Moore last year 51 pts in 34 games Luke Schenn 2nd to last 29 pts in 72 games (Harvard) Luke Schenn last year 28 pts in 57 games Same number of pts, but much fewer games. Other players who followed this trend, Horton, Bitz, Montador, Boyes and Allison. I have only found one that bucked the trend, and he did it in a major way; Marty St. Louis. Looking at a couple of other high picks that haven't played in the NHL 2008 Kyle Beach, 11 overall you have to do the math on him, his production improved just slightly, but it looks to me he was over age. 2nd to last 54 games 66 pts last is  68 games and 86 pts 2009 Scott Glennie 8 overall 2nd to last 66 games 89 pts last  70 games 91 pts I'll need to be convinced otherwise, but if a guy hasn't improved in his last year of junior or college, that's a bad sign. And more than likely he will not amount to much.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

If you looked at the current Bruins players junior and college careers you would have found some to dispute your theory.

Brad Marchand
    2006-2007Val-d'Or Foreurs-QMJHL57 33 47 80        

2007-2008Val-d'Or Foreurs-QMJHL33 21 23 44       
    2007-2008Halifax Mooseheads-QMJHL26 10 19 29    

Jordan Caron
    2008-2009Rimouski Oceanic-QMJHL56 36 31 67     
    2009-2010Rimouski Oceanic-QMJHL20 9 11 20          
    2009-2010Rouyn-Noranda Huskies-QMJHL23 17 16 33  

Rich Peverley
    2002-2003St. Lawrence University-ECAC 34 15 23 38  
    2003-2004St. Lawrence University-ECAC41 17 25 42

Johnny Boychuk
    2002-2003Moose Jaw Warriors-WHL 27 5 17 22          
    2003-2004Moose Jaw Warriors-WHL62 13 20 33

Joe Corvo
    1996-1997Western Michigan University- CCHA32 12 21 33  

1997-1998Western Michigan University-CCHA32 5 12 17

I gave up after posting 5. Need more ? There are many more to choose from.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Damn college defenseman and congratulations to Jerry York 900 victories this week. I'll wait n give Tommy an "INC" for now because as mentioned no one has seen him play against the pros. I'll also give him an "A" for staying at Chestnut Hill and finishing his degree it was important to him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Video : Tommy Cross at the Beanpot :  If you looked at the current Bruins players junior and college careers you would have found some to dispute your theory. Brad Marchand 2006-2007 Val-d'Or Foreurs-QMJHL 57 33 47 80                     2007-2008 Val-d'Or Foreurs-QMJHL 33 21 23 44         2007-2008 Halifax Mooseheads-QMJHL 26 10 19 29     Jordan Caron 2008-2009 Rimouski Oceanic-QMJHL 56 36 31 67       2009-2010 Rimouski Oceanic-QMJHL 20 9 11 20           2009-2010 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies-QMJHL 23 17 16 33   Rich Peverley 2002-2003 St. Lawrence University-ECAC  34 15 23 38   2003-2004 St. Lawrence University-ECAC 41 17 25 42 Johnny Boychuk 2002-2003 Moose Jaw Warriors-WHL  27 5 17 22             2003-2004 Moose Jaw Warriors-WHL 62 13 20 33 Joe Corvo 1996-1997 Western Michigan University- CCHA 32 12 21 33             1997-1998 Western Michigan University-CCHA 32 5 12 17                         I gave up after posting 5. Need more ? There are many more to choose from.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I'm shocked at that.  I honestly am.  I wasn't cherry picking the stats.

Going to the current Bruins from guys we haven't used and to be more complete;
    Bergeron - can't say because only 1 year of jr.
    Lucic - improved (a lot).
    Krecji improved (a lot)
    Chara - can't say because only 1 year of jr.
    Kelly improved.
    Ference improved.
    Seidenberg improved.
    Pouliot improved (a lot)
    Paille improved
    Campbell DID NOT IMPROVE [edit.  oops]
    Thornton improved
    McQuaid improved.
    Kampfer improved.
    Hennessy DID NOT IMPROVE
    Bartkowski DID NOT IMPROVE

Maybe a much wider statistical analysis is necessary, but I'm seeing that the general trend of improvement is a good thing and leveling off or getting worse is  a bad thing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Video : Tommy Cross at the Beanpot : Thanks for reminding us.  Yes.  He should be in the mix for Nash.  Along with Hamill.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Yup.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know if looking at point totals alone is a great way to judge the defensmen.  Jerry York plays a pretty good system at BC and may not want Cross jumping up in the play a lot and racking up points.  The NHL comparable that I have heard for Tommy Cross is Mark Stuart.  In that case, points are almost irrelevant to Stuart's game.  I have no idea if Cross will become an NHLer or not, the odds are probably against it.  But if he does, it was my impression that he would be a 4-6 stay-at-home type defensemen.  So I don't think it matters much what his point totals are if he is continuing to improve his game.  We'll see next year...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    If he is a Mark Stuart type he could become a third pairing with McQuaid in a couple of years. It's good to see he had a leadership role like Stuart had in college.