Vokoun to the Caps

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Vokoun to the Caps

Scott Burnside
    Tomas Vokoun signs a one-year deal with the Washington Capitals for $1.5 million.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: Vokoun to the Caps

In Response to Vokoun to the Caps:
    [QUOTE]@ESPN_Burnside Scott Burnside Tomas Vokoun signs a one-year deal with the Washington Capitals for $1.5 million.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]
    One of the better deals so far.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

?!?!?!?!??!?!??!

Is that money right?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

He just finished a 4 year/ $22.8M deal.  Crazy pay-cut for him from $5.7M down to $1.5M.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from whitbomb. Show whitbomb's posts

If the money is right the Caps made a great deal Vokoun is a solid goaltender. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Great deal for the Caps. Too bad for them that they still have no D.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Cant believe they got him so cheap, also cant believe they weren't willing to give him a multi-year contract.  Those one year contracts are usually reserved for the journeymen backups.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I have to think that the Caps will extend him before next summer, most likely at a higher price.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

This appears to be the biggest veteran bargain so far this summer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Vokoun must really want a chance to win the cup, rather than just chasing the money.
    Kind of refreshing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Vokoun to the Caps:
    [QUOTE]Great deal for the Caps. Too bad for them that they still have no D.
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

You must not watch many Caps games.  Alzner and Carlson are a great young pair.  Green/Schultz are somewhat suspect but Green when healthy is the best offensive dman in the league.  Wideman/Hammer as the 3rd pairing.  Poti/Erksine(spelling?) as the depth dmen. 
    The top pairing is only gonna get better.  They were in the top of the league in team defense.
    Add a top notch keeper and the depth moves they made(Ward/Brouwer/Halpren) to go with the star power they have and locking up their heart and soul(Laich). 

They also raped Colorado in the Varly trade.  They could get a lottery pick and another top 30something 2nd rounder next year in a very strong draft.

MacPhee gets an A+ for his moves(definitely overpaid for Ward but they needed that type of player) 
    They just became very very scary.  More scary then ever before.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]   Vokoun must really want a chance to win the cup, rather than just chasing the money. Kind of refreshing.
    Posted by biggskye[/QUOTE]

big,
    he is chasing the money.  thats why he signed a one year deal with a cup contender.  if he takes a very strong team to the cup he will be the difference maker.  Meaning  "Cha-Ching".
    Not refereshing.  Very calculated

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vokoun to the Caps : big, he is chasing the money.  thats why he signed a one year deal with a cup contender.  if he takes a very strong team to the cup he will be the difference maker.  Meaning  "Cha-Ching". Not refereshing.  Very calculated
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    I would agree with you, if he was 26, not 36.
    He has had his big contracts. I just think, he wants to win now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

He turned 35 today.  And your point may have some validity.  But why would he sign a 2-3 yr deal at the same amount?  B/C he knows he could still cash in a bigger deal in a year.
    I hope you are right.  But I doubt it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

Both WSH and PHI got very strong with their starting goalies.  And now NYR with Richards.  Wow.  Gonna be a dogfight in the east.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Vokoun is a strong regular season goaltender, with the team Wash has he is going to rake next season. Remember how old Thomas is, people will pay.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

Bruins fans wake up. Vokoun 1.5M, Ryder 3.5M  (He probably would have accepted an offer at 3.2M with the Bruins).

Next year, there will be a big hole in the salaries. $10M. that Jacobs will put again in his pockets.

You find that Jacob's did not make enough money with you? This is not true that a team can lose players like Savard, Recchi, Ryder and Kaberle and not be affected.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Totally agree with this.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vokoun to the Caps : You must not watch many Caps games.  Alzner and Carlson are a great young pair.  Green/Schultz are somewhat suspect but Green when healthy is the best offensive dman in the league.  Wideman/Hammer as the 3rd pairing.  Poti/Erksine(spelling?) as the depth dmen.  The top pairing is only gonna get better.  They were in the top of the league in team defense. Add a top notch keeper and the depth moves they made(Ward/Brouwer/Halpren) to go with the star power they have and locking up their heart and soul(Laich).  They also raped Colorado in the Varly trade.  They could get a lottery pick and another top 30something 2nd rounder next year in a very strong draft. MacPhee gets an A+ for his moves(definitely overpaid for Ward but they needed that type of player)  They just became very very scary.  More scary then ever before.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Bruins fans wake up. Vokoun 1.5M, Ryder 3.5M  (It probably would have accepted an offer at 3.2M with the Bruins). Next year, there will be a big hole in the salaries. $10M. that Jacobs will put again in his pockets. You find that Jacob's did not make enough money with you? This is not true that a team can lose players like Recchi, Ryder and Kaberle and not be affected.
    Posted by BlueChip99[/QUOTE]

Rule #1:  Don't post drunk.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vokoun to the Caps : Rule #1:  Don't post drunk.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I'm not drunk, it's my French accent. Women love it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vokoun to the Caps : You must not watch many Caps games.  Alzner and Carlson are a great young pair.  Green/Schultz are somewhat suspect but Green when healthy is the best offensive dman in the league.  Wideman/Hammer as the 3rd pairing.  Poti/Erksine(spelling?) as the depth dmen.  The top pairing is only gonna get better.  They were in the top of the league in team defense. Add a top notch keeper and the depth moves they made(Ward/Brouwer/Halpren) to go with the star power they have and locking up their heart and soul(Laich).  They also raped Colorado in the Varly trade.  They could get a lottery pick and another top 30something 2nd rounder next year in a very strong draft. MacPhee gets an A+ for his moves(definitely overpaid for Ward but they needed that type of player)  They just became very very scary.  More scary then ever before.

Perhaps I haven't seen enough of them. But from what I did see my observations of their D last year are this:
    -A few young guys who were exposed when it mattered. Like in the playoffs.
    -Green is possibly the worst defenseman in the league some nights and if he wasn't so good offensively he would be in the AHL.
    -The D benefits greatly from the team's offense and their abilty to move the puck into the O zone and keep it there. When the O isn't dominating their D is exposed.
    -No shut-down pair of D.

I don't disagree that they may be improving, especially Carlson & Alzner.

Yes, they have improved themselves with some of the moves they've made but until they prove otherwise I still think their D is suspect. If they become a better team defensively, watch out!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

this was a steal for the Caps!!! i really thought it was a bad rumor... until now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vokoun to the Caps : I'm not drunk, it's my French accent. Women love it.
    Posted by BlueChip99[/QUOTE]
    Just like those cats love Pepe le Pew.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

I think it's a great deal for the Caps. Can't say I'm very impressed about it though as it seems Vokoun always gives the Bruins fits.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from THEARS. Show THEARS's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vokoun to the Caps :...They also raped Colorado in the Varly trade.  They could get a lottery pick and another top 30something 2nd rounder next year in a very strong draft. MacPhee gets an A+ for his moves(definitely overpaid for Ward but they needed that type of player)  They just became very very scary.  More scary then ever before.

Nope.

You guys gave up on Varlamov way too early.

The two time Vezina winner, Stanley Cup Champion, current Conn Smythe Trophy holding goalie didn't make it to the NHL until he was 32.Laughing

This kid has talent, here's hoping he takes the Nordiques to the finals and you end up picking 29. That'll teach management some patience.

Tom